• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong Nvidia Ray tracing trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hard disagree.

A great texture is gonna remain great even if you use bad lights but a bad texture is not gonna get any better even with pixar level of light.
That's not true, look at Far Cry 2 which still looks pretty during the day but horrible at night because the textures have no depth.

That's why you need a solid base before even thinking about lights, you can have the best light in the world, but if what is underneath looks bad, you are not gonna have a good graphic, that's why all the old\ugly games with raytracing still looks like turds, from quake 2 to minecraft, portal looks decent because it has a very minimalistic and super clean style.

A texture is nothing without proper lighting. It will just look flat.

You can mod better textures (AI is doing an awesome job at it btw) but you can't upgrade the lighting.
Control, Red Dead II, Plague Tales, Dead Space Remake etc... are all looking amazing but if you look into the textures you will be surprised. What's striking in those games IS the lighting.
Dishonored II is another great example, a game from 2016 which still looks great thanks to its lighting, but if you look at the texture work it's very minimalist.

A game with amazing lighting will holp up far better than a game with flat lighting but great textures. And honestly that's not an opinion. As I was searching for older games to gives examples, I found this topic:

I'd say art style is also a bigger factor than textures.

GymWolf

That's not true, look at Far Cry 2 which still looks pretty during the day but horrible at night because the textures have no depth.

A texture is nothing without proper lighting. It will just look flat.

You can mod better textures (AI is doing an awesome job at it btw) but you can't upgrade the lighting.
Control, Red Dead II, Plague Tales, Dead Space Remake etc... are all looking amazing but if you look into the textures you will be surprised. What's striking in those games IS the lighting.
Dishonored II is another great example, a game from 2016 which still looks great thanks to its lighting, but if you look at the texture work it's very minimalist.

A game with amazing lighting will holp up far better than a game with flat lighting but great textures. And honestly that's not an opinion. As I was searching for older games to gives examples, I found this topic:

I'd say art style is also a bigger factor than textures.
Let's just agree to disagree on this particular argument dude.

I'm never gonna rate light and shadow higher than what is underneath.

Last edited:

Gideon

Would appreciate if they actually did the comparison, instead of "RTX ON" whole video. (Can't play on RTX anyway lmao I have a 3060ti)

Last edited:

Ribi

I hope the game is not just a boss rush, i hate that.
Doesn't seem like a straight boss rush. There's areas prior to the bosses but a video from a few weeks ago showed a menu after they defeated the boss that said something like "x area cleared would you like to return to x"

GymWolf

Doesn't seem like a straight boss rush. There's areas prior to the bosses but a video from a few weeks ago showed a menu after they defeated the boss that said something like "x area cleared would you like to return to x"
I hope we have trash mobs, mid bosses, explorations etc. like a proper action rpg.

saintjules

Classic wolfpack.. respect.

tJzdWnR.jpg

I thought the same fucking thing lol. I thought MisterWolf was GymWolf.

Top Bottom