• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

I got spoiled big time in the past so I do wanna be careful.

And considering somebody already posted a (semi?) spoiler in the comment section of a review I think I'm just gunna stick it out until Friday.

Sounds like you've got the right idea

Yeah, I am seeing it on Friday so I can wait. I didn't read any reviews on Get Out and it was the right choice. Considering some reviews I read afterwards spoiled the entire movie. (Armond White in particular)

Surfinn

Yeah, I am seeing it on Friday so I can wait. I didn't read any reviews on Get Out and it was the right choice. Considering some reviews I read afterwards spoiled the entire movie. (Armond White in particular)

Oh my god

He would be the fucking guy to spoil it

Sorry to hear that man, being spoiled is the worst.

Oh my god

He would be the fucking guy to spoil it

Sorry to hear that man, being spoiled is the worst.

No no no. He didn't spoil it for me. I read his review after I saw it. I was saying had I made the choice not to skip reading reviews prior to going, it would have been spoiled.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Surfinn

No no no. He didn't spoil it for me. I read his review after I saw it. I was saying had I made the choice not to skip reading reviews prior to going, it would have been spoiled.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Oh lol my bad. Still that guy is the worst reviewer in history

Yeah plus we're so close. Less than a freaking week

nachum00

Definitely a Jesus thing.
3uSL1Fu.jpg
So why do Villeneuve and Nolan get a version of this picture when PTA is better than both?

Saw in the Regal Cinemas app that some of their theaters are doing a double feature of Final Cut then 2049. I got all excited until I clicked on the link and it said that no theaters in my area are participating.

Talk about a major fucking tease.

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like the RPX theater in Nashville is doing it. Might be worth the hour drive and zero sleep the next night to do this.

Window

Well first you got to explain how you define a ”geek movie", and then you got to explain how Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining qualify as such

I do think it's true though (to some degree). The fact that Kubrick shows up in that meme attests to the fact that 'geek' movie fans revere him. Again, I lay the blame on Full Metal Jacket.

Surfinn

Saw in the Regal Cinemas app that some of their theaters are doing a double feature of Final Cut then 2049. I got all excited until I clicked on the link and it said that no theaters in my area are participating.

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like the RPX theater in Nashville is doing it. Might be worth the hour drive and zero sleep the next night to do this.

Shit that sounds awesome. Any way to find out which theaters are doing this?

Stanley Kubrick is a geek director bro. Kubrick diehards are on the same levels as Nolan fans.

Which fans are the cool ones

Please define them for us

nachum00

One theatre in my area is doing one showing of the double feature but sadly I'll be busy during that time.

robotrock

Banned
Well first you got to explain what you define as ”geek movie", and then you got to explain how Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining qualify as such

While a lot of these filmmaker's products due tend to feel pretty precise and kind of nerdy about how they implement various practices, the geek movie comment is moreso directed towards the fanbases. And, just putting this out there, you absolutely do not (and should not) let the fanbase alter your enjoyment of the movie.

In the context to the meme, all of these directors have a decently sized fanbase made up of people who love to post about them obsessively as if they were the greatest. That's really it.

Which fans are the cool ones

Please define them

PM sent. But it's definitely not Star Wars fans.

sarcastor

are there any reviews yet that actually tells the story of the movie?

I've already read some with light spoilers but i want like an actual rundown

don't hate me :(

robotrock

Banned
Any director worth his salt is bound to have annoying die hard fans. That's just the way it is.
Some more than others, man. I never see people asking for PTA to make a Star Wars movie.

And also, I actually have a list of fantastic directors that I never see anyone talking about. You'll have to PM for that list though, I don't want them to get too popular.

Surfinn

PM sent. But it's definitely not Star Wars fans.

I am crushed to learn this

Dune is nothing like SW. That you even think it is betrays a really shallow reading of the book.

While it has mystical elements in terms of the Spice & its effects on human prescience it is thoroughly grounded in politics & ecology.

The culture of the Fremen alone has more depth & breadth than any element of SW lore. Herbert describes a fully realised society in both its internal relations as well as its relationship to the wider ecosystem of Arrakis, and how the two shape of arch other.

No, Dune is a far better test of Villeneuve's abilities than anything in the SW universe could be - and I say this as a massive SW fan.

Sending PM

kyser73

Why are people pretending like I'm the first person to talk about Denis Villeneuve directing a SW movie.. Literally all I said is that I think he could make a great SW film. There was a reason he was chosen for Dune, right? Are we gunna pretend like that's far off of SW?

And that I don't think his talents would be wasted on something he had creative control over (like JJ and Rian Johnson).

Nobody has to agree with me, but I don't understand the outrage over my opinion. Dude is 49 and could be making movies for another 20 years or so.

Anyway, I've tried to take it to PM multiple times, which is how I will respond to the rest of the replies about this

Dune is nothing like SW. That you even think it is betrays a really shallow reading of the book.

While it has mystical elements in terms of the Spice & its effects on human prescience it is thoroughly grounded in politics & ecology.

The culture of the Fremen alone has more depth & breadth than any element of SW lore. Herbert describes a fully realised society in both its internal relations as well as its relationship to the wider ecosystem of Arrakis, and how the two shape each other.

No, Dune is a far better test of Villeneuve's abilities than anything in the SW universe could be - and I say this as a massive SW fan.

The culture of the Fremen alone has more depth & breadth than any element of SW lore. Herbert describes a fully realised society in both its internal relations as well as its relationship to the wider ecosystem of Arrakis, and how the two shape of arch other.

Well said. Dune is a dense as hell book and world to tackle. Not only do you have to get the incredible dense sociological, political, and ecological themes in there and handle them well, you also have to tackle the grand and epic scale of everything going on.

It is an incredibly complex beast to tackle and pull off correctly.

AoM

are there any reviews yet that actually tells the story of the movie?

I've already read some with light spoilers but i want like an actual rundown

don't hate me :(

There may be a few, but critics were asked to avoid plot spoilers until release.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
How did Kubrick end up under the label of "Geek Movie Director"...
By being the only arthouse movie director that entry level film geeks obsess over.

It's a strange phenomenon because the sensibility and values of Kubrick's films aren't geeky in the slightest.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
More evidence re: Kubrick and geekery. I present this extract from Ready Player One

Ernest Cline said:
I devoured each of what Halliday referred to as "The Holy Trilogies": Star Wars (original and prequel trilogies, in that order), Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Mad Max, Back to the Future, and Indiana Jones. (Halliday once said that he preferred to pretend the other Indiana Jones films, from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull onward, didn't exist. I tended to agree.)
I also absorbed the complete filmographies of each of his favorite directors. Cameron, Gilliam, Jackson, Fincher, Kubrick, Lucas, Spielberg, Del Toro, Tarantino. And, of course, Kevin Smith.

Top Bottom