• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

So uh, I'm just going to go ahead and give everyone here a big head's up: The whole plot of Blade Runner 2049 has hit the web and is out there, and there's a huge spoiler (one that has not been mentioned in any of the reviews so far) that's been explained in an image on there too.

And goddamnit, in a rare case, I really wish I hadn't seen these particular spoilers and got to experience it for myself in the theaters this coming Thursday. They weren't kidding, GAF. You'll all want to avoid spoilers for this one.

Surfinn

So uh, I'm just going to go ahead and give everyone here a big head's up: The whole plot of Blade Runner 2049 has hit the web and is out there, and there's a huge spoiler (one that has not been mentioned in any of the reviews so far) that's been explained in an image on there too.

And goddamnit, in a rare case, I really wish I hadn't seen these particular spoilers and got to experience it for myself in the theaters this coming Thursday. They weren't kidding, GAF. You'll all want to avoid spoilers for this one.
Shit man. Thanks for the heads up

Shit man. Thanks for the heads up

I figured it was the least I could do for everyone else around here.

I'm someone who usually doesn't care much about spoilers and often actively looks for them in advance. I generally prefer going in knowing more than the rest of the audience, so that I can focus on the actual crafting of the film and how good a job the people involved did or didn't do in executing the story of the film.

But shit, man... this one's something else. If it weren't for the fact that I already had a rather bad headache earlier, I'd probably be trying to get myself a bit drunk before going to bed right now.

I'm legitimately upset that I got spoiled on this one- and I was initially quite fine with the state of things when I saw the basic spoilers featured in some of the film reviews.

I'm someone who usually doesn't care much about spoilers and often actively looks for them in advance. I generally prefer going in knowing more than the rest of the audience, so that I can focus on the actual crafting of the film and how good a job the people involved did or didn't do in executing the story of the film.

But shit, man... this one's something else. If it weren't for the fact that I already had a rather bad headache earlier, I'd probably be trying to get myself a bit drunk before going to bed right now.

I'm legitimately upset that I got spoiled on this one- and I was initially quite fine with the state of things when I saw the basic spoilers featured in some of the film reviews.

Thanks for being the canary in the coalmine throughout this whole thing. Will be vigilant!

Moonkid

You're the real MVP.

Looks great going dark now. But better than the original. Ahhhhh I don't think so, but we'll see.

After reading the spoilers, I think it's all going to really all come down to the following factors:

• How good of a job Villeneuve does executing the story
  • What sort of opinions you have about the original film
  • What the personal narrative tastes of the individual audience member are
I can potentially see myself preferring this film over the original, for a variety of different reasons, but some critics in the reviews I've read have speculated that this is probably going to be a debate that we're all going to end up mulling over for the years to come. Knowing what I know now, I think that's almost definitely going to end up being the case.

Thanks for being the canary in the coalmine throughout this whole thing. Will be vigilant!
You're the real MVP.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

tenor.gif

tumblr_ok0gl45rtM1qmob6ro1_500.gif

Yeah, holy shit, time to not read anything outside of GAF.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think i should get around to watching the first one. i've tried a couple times but keep falling asleep. i don't know what it is...i love the whole cyberpunk thing. i'll need to try watch early on in the day lol maybe i'll watch it on friday before i go see 2049.

last night i watched the 3 short films. really enjoyed them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope that a Cleopatra movie doesn't get made. There is Cleopatra tv show getting made at Amazon from the people who did Black Sails. I want to see do his passion project Dune.
I don't want Cleopatra because she is the boring go to ancient female historical figure

Thanks. Won't be glancing at YouTube etc comments now.

Sygma

You know Nolan wants to do Bond, in a same sense as Spielberg wanting to do Bond. But they both are too big for the franchise and would only be brought in if they had creative control. Which isn't happening as long as it's under the same producers.

If BR blows up into a Mad Max, he's not doing Bond. There is no point for him to do it unless he really just wants his name on the movie, or Craig's pull is basically "I won't do it without him". The one last ride mentality before the recast I can see happen. It does seem like Craig wants to go out on a high note and only he could force Eon to give DV control.

Dune, it seems like he would have a lot more control over. Only been once attempted and its consider a failure. I feel like he would have a lot more control with that film than Bond.

Cleopatra is an inserting twist. It's the exact opposite of everything he's done, but if he was smart, I'd stay away from it for a bit for two reasons. There is going to be a massive casting issue regardless. 2nd is historical epics haven't seen to be performing too well as of recently.

SW is a why the fuck? It's like Bond, unless he really just wants to add it to the list, but there is nothing there for him.

I mean, Mendes didn't really need Bond either as a "high point", regarding his previous work. If anything Spectre / Skyfall are his weakest movies

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

man, sorry you got spoiled. i just deleted twitter my phone and I'll be treading lightly until thursday night.

I'm interested in reading the leaked full plot, but I don't have a clue where to look and my attempts to Google for this didn't seem to show anything relevant.

I promise not to misuse any links or other information sent to me in private message. I know most people would prefer not to know.

I'm interested in reading the leaked full plot, but I don't have a clue where to look and my attempts to Google for this didn't seem to show anything relevant.

I promise not to misuse any links or other information sent to me in private message. I know most people would prefer not to know.

Trust me, you're so much better off not knowing and going into the movie blind. This is coming from someone who generally is fine with being spoiled, like yourself.

man, sorry you got spoiled. i just deleted twitter my phone and I'll be treading lightly until thursday night.

Yeah, I'm probably going to try and focus on as many other things as I possibly can between now and Thursday night so that I can at least try to forget some of what I read and experience it anew on the screen.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to forget the biggest spoilers in the film anytime soon. That one spoiler pic I mentioned earlier particularly left a big impression on me when I saw it last night- that initial thought of "No way this is re- Wait, no, FUUUUU-" is kinda seared into my brain a bit too strongly...

Trust me, you're so much better off not knowing and going into the movie blind. This is coming from someone who generally is fine with being spoiled, like yourself.

Caution: all text in spoiler tags is purely my personal speculation based on public trailers and public comments by the stars. I know nothing most attentive readers of this thread don't already know. Be warned, however, that speculation could be correct by coincidence. If that's likely to spoil your fun, don't click.

I suppose if you were an android we could always erase the memory of the spoiler from your memory.
But it must be one fearsome, unimaginably reality-bending fact (
like, for instance, the androids are really humans who have been reprogrammed
) to provoke that reaction.

It's all a simulation, isn't it?

Caution: all text in spoiler tags is purely my personal speculation based on public trailers and public comments by the stars. I know nothing most attentive readers of this thread don't already know. Be warned, however, that speculation could be correct by coincidence. If that's likely to spoil your fun, don't click.

I suppose if you were an android we could always erase the memory of the spoiler from your memory.

Nope, it's nothing like that at all. And I'm not going to give any other sort of hints as to what the spoiler(s) are either.

Blader

The US has an abundance of IMAX screens, so chains can split 2D and 3D. A lot of territories don't have that luxury and get IMAX 3D only if 3D is an option.Even for stuff like Civil War. :/

They usually don't though, so it's weird they are now...I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with both a regular 3D release and an IMAX 2D release (with no IMAX 3D option) at the same theater. Not that I'm complaining though!

I hope you realize Replicants aren't Androids.

Lyng

Where's Alfonso Cuarón's version? He's better than all three of them. Children of Men > their entire filmography.

Talk about a overrated film. It has great world building and camerawork, but most characters actions make zero sense, and once it goes into
the whole war around the building it just turns into shit, especially the part where they leave with the baby is so incredibly dumb. Also Clive Owen is such a mediocre actor. Amazing first half, absolute dog shit second.

Window

Something I was never too clear on is how much of the Replicants design is organic vs electronic in nature. There's talk of genetic engineering and about Tyrell designing the brain and I imagine they must have conducted some experiments on human cloning (whole or specific organs) in this world. Given the premise of the story and the stated emotional limitations of Replicants, I always assumed they had artificial intelligence via inorganic brains (with other bodily functions achieved from organic mean). I wonder if the new film deals with ramifications of the other organically designed life (brain) instead.

Talk about a overrated film. It has great world building and camerawork, but most characters actions make zero sense, and once it goes into
the whole war around the building it just turns into shit, especially the part where they leave with the baby is so incredibly dumb. Also Clive Owen is such a mediocre actor. Amazing first half, absolute dog shit second.

The hottest take I've seen this year

I rejoined the thread, cautiously. It seems you all are doing a good job of keeping it spoiler-free!

The US has an abundance of IMAX screens, so chains can split 2D and 3D. A lot of territories don't have that luxury and get IMAX 3D only if 3D is an option.Even for stuff like Civil War. :/

Also in America IMAX is getting closer to just pulling the plug on 3D for narrative film in North America, which is a great thing! So nice that there are no 3D Blade Runner screenings here.

I dream of a future where 3D projectors are so rare that most theaters have white screens again instead of the silver ones, which are mandatory for 3D but which compromise 2D viewing.

I hope you realize Replicants aren't Androids.

They are the androids of the original novel. Scott and Fancher simply renamed them. I like to emphasize the continuity of the universe of the novel and the film. Although the writing style of the film is quite different and there are many relatively minor changes and omissions, the artificial creatures remain substantially the same and the uncomfortable questions they raise are the same.

They are the androids of the original novel. Scott and Fancher simply renamed them. I like to emphasize the continuity of the universe of the novel and the film. Although the writing style of the film is quite different and there are many relatively minor changes and omissions, the artificial creatures remain substantially the same and the uncomfortable questions they raise are the same.
I tend not to cross the movie and novel because I feel the terms have slightly different meanings to some people.

Given the premise of the story and the stated emotional limitations of Replicants, I always assumed they had artificial intelligence via inorganic brains (with other bodily functions achieved from organic mean). I wonder if the new film deals with ramifications of the other organically designed life (brain) instead.

They have very short lifespans, and irrespective of their brain design they may simply lack the experience to develop empathy. I've always found them to be rather childlike, and I don't think that's an accident. Children's behaviour and attitudes can often appear quite chilling by adult standards, and younger men are famously easy to train to kill.

Batty's final scenes in the film are mildly suggestive of nascent empathy, in a departure from the novel.

The humans in the novel have also clearly been changed by the events of World War Terminus and its aftermath, as their new religion of Mercerism shows. This background serves to emphasize the unusual psychology of the androids.

Needless to say the filmmakers shouldn't feel constrained by a 50-year-old, still relatively obscure novel. Your speculation is as good as any.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think the hotter take is that Children of Men is better than the entire filmographys of PTA, Villeneuve and Nolan.
it definitely is. to some people. is this the path we're gonna go down?
stop giving a shit about what other people like.
yes i see the irony in saying this in a review thread. but arguing about this never ever leads anywhere

Top Bottom