• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

robotrock

Banned
Yes, it's taller in 2D IMAX. The cinematographer's preferred version is the wider aka non-IMAX.

Looking this up now, that's crazy they actually put effort in doing something like this. I'll be checking out the non-IMAX 2D version then, might get curious enough to check it out on that format eventually though.

This is blowing my mind. In post production too, wow wow wow. I haven't heard anything about it.

I think Gravity had finished filming way way way before it came out, but not too sure on that.

Aporia88

Neo Member
Any other fun reviews from her? Safe to say we are on very different wave lengths.

Westworld: Season 1
Michelle Alexandria
If you think numerous scenes of suggested rape, misogyny and graphic depictions of pointless murder are cool, then have at it. Me, I'm not a psychopath, so it's clearly not for me.‐ Eclipse Magazine
Read More | Posted Oct 11, 2016
Full Review | Original Score: D

Z3M0G

I watched the original 30+ times in my life, always on team-human, and my GF watches it for the first time tonight and picks up immediatly on the unicorn message, stating it clear as day. Fuck i love her.

So damn excited for this now... holy shit.

On 50 Shades of Grey

My mind screams Noooooooo! This movie sucks and is offensive on so many different levels, but damn my lady parts....Jamie Dornan's abs beat me into submission. Every time I think about them any common sense I have goes out the window.‐ Eclipse Magazine

Is Michelle Alexandra a satirist?

De_Legend

Banned
Denis Villeneuve just appeared on a TV show for an interview.

Not Blade Runner related, but he mentioned that he will read a first draft about Dune in a few weeks and that he had a really good idea of where he wants to go for the movie. If he likes the draft he will pursue the idea to make the movie, if not, he will do something else. He also talked to Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli about James Bond but that’s a maybe due to the schedule. And finally, he had preliminary talks about Cleopatra, and if he was to do it, it would probably be in 5 or 6 years down the road.

Blader

Not Blade Runner related, but he mentioned that he will read a first draft about Dune in a few weeks and that he had a really good idea of where he wants to go for the movie. If he likes the draft he will pursue the idea the make the movie, if not, he will do something else. He also talked to Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli about James Bond but that’s a maybe due to the schedule. And finally, he had preliminary talks about Cleopatra, and if he was to do it, it would probably be in 5 or 6 years down the road.

Very interesting, thanks! Sounds like either Dune or Bond could be next then.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Not Blade Runner related, but he mentioned that he will read a first draft about Dune in a few weeks and that he had a really good idea of where he wants to go for the movie. If he likes the draft he will pursue the idea to make the movie, if not, he will do something else. He also talked to Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli about James Bond but that’s a maybe due to the schedule. And finally, he had preliminary talks about Cleopatra, and if he was to do it, it would probably be in 5 or 6 years down the road.

That first draft better be good, god dammit.

HariKari

Prefer Dune over Bond, but I'd like to see Craig get a top tier director and script. I think he'll get too big for Cleopatra.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Prefer Dune over Bond, but I'd like to see Craig get a top tier director and script. I think he'll get too big for Cleopatra.

Thing about Cleopatra is that he said that before, when he made a movie, no one talked about it until it was done. Now if someone talks to him about maybe doing a movie, it's all over the press the same day. And he liked it better before.

Says Cleopatra would be like, 5 to 7 years away.

Alastor3

And placed number 44 in a top 100 director, that's mighty impressive. Longue vie Denis!

Realeza

Banned
Probably has been asked already but, is it necessary to have watched the first to understand what's going on? I'd like to see this movie on opening day, but I don't have time to watch the first film.

robotrock

Banned
Probably has been asked already but, is it necessary to have watched the first to understand what's going on? I'd like to see this movie on opening day, but I don't have time to watch the first film.

if you have time to see this on opening day, it sure sounds like you have time to see the first one instead

Why not watch the first on opening day instead and save this for another time then haha

You probably would not have to watch it but would benefit more from having seen it prior to this

Moonkid

Got my tickets booked for Friday. Would have gone on opening night but I have another event going on then. Just four more sleeps until the wait is over x__x

if you have time to see this on opening day, it sure sounds like you have time to see the first one instead

That wasn't their question.

As one who was bored to tears by the first movie and remember little of it, I too would like to know if I need to know the details of it to enjoy the 2nd

kyser73

So the answer to the question everyone wants to know
is deckard a replicant?

I dunno - do you think the origami unicorn Gaff leaves at Deckards apartment is related to Deckard's dream because Gaff knows what Deckard is and what he dreams about?

Moonkid

Anyone gonna make an OT for this movie?

As one who was bored to tears by the first movie and remember little of it, I too would like to know if I need to know the details of it to enjoy the 2nd
The filmmakers say no, you don't need to have seen the first Blade Runner, but familiarity with the original elevates it I'd imagine. I haven't read any reviews but the excerpts seem to echo this too?

kyser73

You won't need it for the story, but judging from the 'Fire' clip linked to up thread it's a sequel that will be rewarding to fans of the original who've watched it repeatedly.

To that end...my real judgement on this won't be properly ready until I'm on my 40-50th re-watch & can quote the script verbatim :)

15-minute interview with Denis Villeneuve at Tout le monde en parle last night. Other guests included Karl Subban, father of P.K. Subban, as well as Mélanie Joly, minister of Canadian culture.

Denis' interview starts at 1:27:37. You can watch the whole show here. If the video won't play for those outside of Canada, use a VPN. The player allows you to turn on French subtitles next to the resolution button.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
this one doesnt looking boring from the trailers.

The trailers are just some explosions and punches cobbled together for the plebs. From what I hear, this is a slow-burn type of movie like the original.

burgervan

Kinda funny all these people rushing to book tickets to a 3 hour sequel to a movie they were "bored to tears" by.

I'm watching it for the director, not the property. He's proven he can do slow burns while also holding my attention, unlike Ridley Scott.

Favorably? Not clicking that link if there's any hint of spoilers.

Here's a quote:

Wait a minute.

Please.

When “Blade Runner 2049” fades to black after a perfect last shot, wait a minute before you turn your phone back on and you head for the exit and you return to the real world of the multiplex lobby and all that waits beyond.

Take a moment to absorb and interpret and appreciate the vibrant and gorgeous and sometimes brutal and mind-bending and occasionally incomprehensible hallucinatory epic that is “Blade Runner 2049,” which stands with the likes of “The Godfather Part II” and “Terminator 2” and “Aliens” as a sequel worthy of the original classic.

Thought that some people might need to know this. I bought tickets for a Dolby double feature of Final Cut/2049 last week for this Wednesday, checked the theater showings today, and it's just the Final Cut. Had to rebuy my 2049 tickets that I'd canceled for Thursday, luckily my seats were still available. Just something to be aware of.

Thank god. I would have started getting worried if Michelle had liked it:

Inception
It's hard to connect with a movie when it tries so hard to fool you; is this a dream, is it not, is it a dream within a dream? Who cares? Just commit to something and get on with it. A crushing bore.‐ Eclipse Mag
hahaha what an idiot. Amazing that she gets paid for this on a professional level :D

The original ain't even slow. Like, I can only see that if you don't watch other noir films. It's probably faster-paced than most of the older classics of the genre.
Yeah, I finally saw the first one the other day and I was surprised at how well paced it was, after hearing how it was supposed to be a slow film.

MilkBeard

Westworld: Season 1
Michelle Alexandria
If you think numerous scenes of suggested rape, misogyny and graphic depictions of pointless murder are cool, then have at it. Me, I'm not a psychopath, so it's clearly not for me.‐ Eclipse Magazine
Read More | Posted Oct 11, 2016

Her other reviews are goofy, but this one I actually somewhat agree with. I'd also add "pretentious, shit writing" to the mix.

Top Bottom