• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Dommo

Richard Roeper for the Chicago Sun-Times compares it to Aliens, Terminator 2 and The Godfather 2.

I'm pleased to see that he isn't scared to tell you a little about the plot, unlike most other reviewers in this spoiler-obsessed age. So be warned, if you'd rather not know what the film is actually about, this review isn't for you.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entert...blade-runner-2049-as-awesome-as-the-original/

Hmm... I hadn't thought about the fact that Ridley Scott's two classic sci-fis both now have equally acclaimed sequels from different (also acclaimed) directors.

Hmm... I hadn't thought about the fact that Ridley Scott's two classic sci-fis both now have equally acclaimed sequels from different (also acclaimed) directors.
Both with different yet thematically similar tones. In the sense of reviews saying this is more of a legit detective thriller-drama within all the sci-fi themes and questions, whereas the first Blade Runner was more concerned with using the detective noir frame as a foundation

But you know, for all the criticism Scott gets today, he basically defined modern sci-fi due to the countless influences that Alien and Blade Runner had on the genre across mediums. That’s pretty impressive for any director/creator in any medium

MilkBeard

That's a nice review. I like how certain people are saying this movie has some depth to it.

CassSept

The trailers are just some explosions and punches cobbled together for the plebs. From what I hear, this is a slow-burn type of movie like the original.

Exactly what happened with Arrival too. Trailers managed to cobble together the few more actione-y scenes that the film had sprinkled throughout it's entire length and made it look like typical sci-fi fare.

MrTexor

7qFBQTh.jpg

I'm having trouble identifying 3 directors. The one on the right and the two directors on the bottom left side... Who are they?

I'm having trouble identifying 3 directors. The one on the right and the two directors on the bottom left side... Who are they?

Believe the far right one is Francis Ford Coppola, and the bottom left two are definitely Stanley Kubrick, in the orange, and David Fincher over his shoulder.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

From left to right: Christopher Nolan, James Cameron, David Fincher, Stanley Kubrick, Denis Villeneuve, Steven Spielberg, Quintin Tarantino, Francis Ford Coppola.

Saganator

Can't wait for this movie. Sucks that I can't find anyone to go with. I know a couple people I could ask to go but I don't think they're the type that would be interested in a 3 hour sci-fi. Might have to just roll solo.

br3wnor

Can't wait for this movie. Sucks that I can't find anyone to go with. I know a couple people I could ask to go but I don't think they're the type that would be interested in a 3 hour sci-fi. Might have to just roll solo.

My favorite way to catch a movie. I’d be doing this movie solo normally but my wife likes Gosling so making a date of it, probably not until next weekend though.

My favorite way to catch a movie. I'd be doing this movie solo normally but my wife likes Gosling so making a date of it, probably not until next weekend though.

Yeah, as much as I want to see it opening night, I'm waiting until Saturday.

Bae and I are gonna drive over to Disney Springs (we live in Tampa) to watch it at the dine-in theater and have a tasty meal while we watch.

burgervan

Well, I have to take back my complaints about the original film. I just rewatched it and liked it A LOT more. Maybe I had weird expectations the first time or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood but this time...I kind of loved it.

I've been talking shit about it for a while (not on Neogaf), so I feel pretty dumb right now.

Plum

Same for me. I don't mind though. A 2.5 hour slow sci-fi film isn't exactly something that would be improved with friends. Got an IMAX showing on Thursday (shame that Deakins prefers the regular format, but I'm sure it'll be fine), even paid a few quid more for the comfy seats. Can't wait!

Blader

Well, I have to take back my complaints about the original film. I just rewatched it and liked it A LOT more. Maybe I had weird expectations the first time or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood but this time...I kind of loved it.

I've been talking shit about it for a while (not on Neogaf), so I feel pretty dumb right now.

It's a movie that really grows on you. The movie is so much more about its mood -- from the visuals to the score to the general atmosphere of things -- that it's hard to absorb it all on the first viewing imo, and it's on rewatches where that stuff really sticks with you more. On a purely narrative level the movie isn't THAT great which is maybe why it seems underwhelming the first time.

DavidDesu

Can't wait to see this on Thursday evening, in Glasgow here. Have premiere seats at a good cinema (nothing fancy like ATMOS, but has a nice screen, good unobstructed views, and good loud surround sound).

Cannot wait to just soak up this sumptuous film. A slow burning "real" sci fi film about themes I'm perpetually intrigued by.. and with the massively good word of mouth. YES.

Is there one definitive version of the original Blade Runner I should watch in preparation? I’m planning on watching it this week with my girlfriend. This probably has been answered a few times in this thread, so sorry.

Is there one definitive version of the original Blade Runner I should watch in preparation? I’m planning on watching it this week with my girlfriend. This probably has been answered a few times in this thread, so sorry.

The Final Cut is generally held to be the "definitive" version of the film. It has all of the corrections from the original Director's Cut, removing the voice-over and studio-mandated "happy ending", it restores some of the blood and gore from the international version of the film, restores a dream sequence that's kind of important to a minor aspect of the narrative, and features some slightly touched-up visuals via a new color grade.

Snaku

Banned

Nobody I've met ever liked Blade Runner on the first watch. There's so much to take in, themes to absorb, performance subtleties, etc. that most people don't really notice or appreciate until after several viewings. I'll forgive anybody for not enjoying it the first time, but like sex it gets better.

Davilmar

Yeah, as much as I want to see it opening night, I'm waiting until Saturday.

Bae and I are gonna drive over to Disney Springs (we live in Tampa) to watch it at the dine-in theater and have a tasty meal while we watch.

I got excited when you guys said Tampa, and quickly deflated when Disney Springs was mentioned. That is a great cinema, and I hope you guys have a blast.

why doesn't my pal denis write any of his movies?

only true artists™ write their own films

denis is a pleb confirmed

I got excited when you guys said Tampa, and quickly deflated when Disney Springs was mentioned. That is a great cinema, and I hope you guys have a blast.

Thanks! I would've liked to have seen it at the Cinebistro in town for a similar, and probably superior, experience. However, it seems like they're the one theater around that doesn't support Moviepass, bit of a bummer.

duckroll

why doesn't my pal denis write any of his movies?

He did when he was still working on indie French Canadian stuff. He actually talked about this before. He doesn't think he's a great writer, but he knows what he wants out a story. English isn't his first language either. So he prefers to work closely with writers and focus on the directing.

He did when he was still working on indie French Canadian stuff. He actually talked about this before. He doesn't think he's a great writer, but he knows what he wants out a story. English isn't his first language either. So he prefers to work closely with writers and focus on the directing.

Honestly this isn't a bad approach. Not every director needs to also be the writer of their script. Hell, Ridley Scott is the same way. Both Alien and the original Blade Runner were written by other people.

From what I hear about Denis, he's apparently really big into the concept of collaborating. He loves to get input from anyone that's around on set and see if anyone has an idea of how to further improve the film they're all making together.

Which, in my humble opinion, is part of being a director.

It's all about walking that fine line between being humble and also having a strong vision for what you're setting out to make your film to be. Not everyone is going to always have a better idea than you, so you need to be ready and able to hold your ground on it if the situation comes up... buuuut you also need to be able to let go of your own ego a bit and consider that maybe someone else has an idea of how to improve upon what you're making.

dmshaposv

Maybe Nolan should learn a lesson, be a bit more humble, and let some people write his film.

Letting jonah nolan write only would be a start.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm so giddy like a nerd over this. Absolutely zero media exposure other than maybe seeing the movie poster.

aravuus

i tricked a bunch of co-workers into joining me.

can't wait!

First row seats seem like fun, the very first and last one in particular. That can't be a real, 1:1 graph of the layout, can it? I mean you'd genuinely see nothing from those seats lol

Most people will recommend the Final Cut, which is good. But the best version to watch is the one you have access to. They're all the same film, with only minor differences.

The most significant omission from the earliest cuts is Deckard's very brief daydream of a unicorn, which mysteriously foreshadows Gaff's unicorn origami figure later in the film. This daydream was restored in the Directors Cut and is also present in the Final cut.

Most people will recommend the Final Cut, which is good. But the best version to watch is the one you have access to. They're all the same film, with only minor differences.

The most significant omission from the earliest cuts is Deckard's very brief daydream of a unicorn, which mysteriously foreshadows Gaff's unicorn origami figure later in the film. This daydream was restored in the Directors Cut and is also present in the Final cut.
The original narration really affects the tone and atmosphere

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just a curious question, do the Blade Runner Point & Click Adventures anything to do with the story of the movie or more with the book?
And yeah, I know that they dont directly tie-in.

Shame. I like Ehrlich a lot and tend to agree with him on a lot of films. Bummer that it didn't work for him.

FYI for those wanting to see or revist the original film before 2049; it seems like most/all AMCs are doing screenings of Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Wednesday night at 7 PM. I've never seen the original in a theater, so I'm going to be making it out.

Just a curious question, do the Blade Runner Point & Click Adventures anything to do with the story of the movie or more with the book?
And yeah, I know that they dont directly tie-in.

I only know the 1997 game from its Wikipedia article. It does feature the mass extinction of animals, which crops up in both the novel where it is a major subplot and (albeit obliquely) in the film. As you get assets from the film being reused, plus new material from some original cast members, it seems to be otherwise heavily inclined to the film.

Darkangel

Will I like this if I thought the visuals in Blade Runner were awesome, but the actual movie was kind of boring?

Top Bottom