• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

I dunno man, Blade Runner just never felt slow to me, definitely not like this. It's also shorter by 40 minutes, and has one of the best scores ever composed to distract me with. :p

I always get bored with the original right around when Deckard is about to visit Zhora. The pacing slows down to a crawl there and tbh doesn't recover until the final encounter with Roy.

Gonna watch it in 2 days and I'm afraid of getting bored by 160 min of film. I hope it's not as slowly paced as the original movie. I loved Prisoners but I didn't dig Arrival so much.

Razorback

Just saw it. For a bit of context, Blade Runner is in my top 3 movies so I've been very skeptical this whole time about the new movie.

First viewings never blow me away, I'll have to revisit this movie in the future and see how it holds up.

For the moment my main impression is that I'm happy with it. It's different enough and similar enough to the original. The balance there was spot on. Mostly I just can't believe that this movie exists. $150m spent on an almost three-hour mood piece. These weird glitches in capitalism are few and far between so It's always special to see.

As for the music, I liked it while watching the movie, I thought it fit the mood pretty well, but I'm not sure if I'll ever listen to it on its own like I do with the original. That's probably the most obvious flaw I can point out at this moment.

All I can say is that I'm glad the movie exists and that alone is enough to put it above 95% of these sequels to old and beloved classics.

Fjordson

I don't even understand. The score sounds a lot Johan Johansson's work. Why has he even fired? To create a replicant score of his work? I'm mystified by what happened here.
Really is a strange situation. Especially since Jóhannsson had become Villeneuve's go-to composer. Wasn't just some unknown dude that they got rid of.

Addi

Spoiler-free review:

It's fucking amazing.
There was a small dip in the pacing at one point and some small issues, but it doesn't matter much. I understand the Tarkovsky feel some reviewers talk about, it's not there all the time, but definitely in some places. I think what I loved the most is the gravity given to certain moments. Other directors might have gone "ok, moving on to the next plot point", but Villeneuve dwells on them. It's not so much if a twist is big or not but more about how it affects the characters. This is aided by fucking great acting and Deakins' sublime cinematography (his magnum opus?). Ok, I might be a bit overhyped right now, but it felt so good watching a great movie in theatres again. It has been so long.

9.5/10
Certified fresh - Cinemas Sins counter: Fuck you Cinema Sins

Don't give me an F for swearing in my review.

jett

D-Member
Did I get to watch w TLJ trailer attached? That would be incredible

I forgot to mention that. The TLJ "trailer" I got was the weirdest trailer I have watched. It was a bunch of behind the scenes footage. Apparently exclusive to Cinemark XD screens, or so it said.

RS4-

Was gonna do the double feature but it was only a standard screening, not Imax, so instead I'm just doing 2049 tomorrow instead.

Gonna watch BR again right now, but which version? I don't think I've actually sat down, start to finish, watch any of them aside from Theatrical. I've always stopped the other versions here and there lol.

Seeing this on saturday. Very much looking forward to it. Listening to the soundtrack and I'm not all that impressed with it. Hopefully it at least works with the film.

Pachimari

I didn't even notice the soundtrack until probably 2/3rds through the film where the three cars are flying. When it hit me that it for a soundtrack.

Surfinn

I forgot to mention that. The TLJ "trailer" I got was the weirdest trailer I have watched. It was a bunch of behind the scenes footage. Apparently exclusive to Cinemark XD screens, or so it said.
Lol you got me

EDIT or are you serious

Surfinn

Just finished blade runner original. Sequel will start in minutes.

Blade runner has probably the best world building I've seen put on film, with the exception of SW

This was a fantastic movie. Loved everything about it. Some older man fell asleep an hour into the movie and started to snore. His wife slapped him. It was pretty funny

Juice

I liked it.

It was neat.

My IMAX screen had 4 dead pixels though and it was a huge distraction. Sound was Nolan-strength, though, which I appreciated for keeping folks awake at the slow parts in the third act.

Spacebar

Just got back and it was really good. Def need to go back and watch it again. I thought there was another hour left when the film ended. Even though it's already really long.

Being born in 84, even though I've been a fan of Sci-Fi since I was kid, I some how missed the original until this week, but now watching it twice this week, I gotta say glad I went with the Final Cut. Going on YouTube, and watching a montage of narration, holly crap. I get the idea behind it, as it was basically a noir film, but it just feels out of place. Plus, I think the open ending fits so much better in the tone with the film than the original Hollywood happy ending.

Also, gotta say multiple viewing are recommended for the original. Only watched it twice so far this week like I said, but I like it all the more the second time. More understanding, and less confusion.

Adaren

Just saw it. Loved it.

People will argue whether it's better than the original or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. It's an undeniably good movie, and it keeps many of the great aspects of the first movie while also being different enough to feel new and unique.

Weird. You did it again. I agree with pretty much that entire list other than one movie as far as them being some of my all time favorites from their respective genres (whether or not they are all techically all time greats).

LOL. The Fifth Element (and to a lesser extent Minority Report) to me were always more interesting versions of Blade Runner. You forgot Strange Days and Dark City though.

I just noticed your Shadowrun avatar (if im correct), lol.

Yea I'm kicking myself, I knew I'd forget some, but damn - those are classics too.

Your dislike for Blade Runner is odd in that instance, but I guess I can see it. It's definitely a far slower burn than most of those films. But conversely it is my favorite of all time. /shrug

Top Bottom