• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Surfinn

As somebody who didn't enjoy the original the first time I saw it

I enjoyed both films. That was a hell of an experience man.

Don’t understand the love for this movie. Great visuals and OST but it is extremely slow paced and the characters and plot are really boring and underdeveloped. Seems to be a case of prioritising style over substance. If the villain twirled his moustache he would have been a lot more interesting.

Don’t understand the love for this movie. Great visuals and OST but it is extremely slow paced and the characters and plot are really boring and underdeveloped. Seems to be a case of prioritising style over substance. If the villain twirled his moustache he would have been a lot more interesting.

The villains weren’t good. They just weren’t. I loved the movie to bits but I can’t find much of a defense for Luv or Wallace, though Luv had some amazing moments.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I saw it.
Are you excited?
You should be more excited than you are.
Yes! Let your excitement go through the roof!

Cpt GargameL

Neo Member
Just saw it. Wow. Just fucking wow, wow.

Seriously, what a movie. Had me in them feels.

Will watch it again cause my gf decided to take a nap lol

But man, what a movie. Also, longest movie I've seen since Lord of The Rings.

I want more!!!

Just got out. First, 3D is really fucking good in this and I HATE 3D. Second, just a fucking masterpiece. And last... I need the next chapter of this story in my veins NOW!

I'm calling it now, haters are gonna call this "Walking Sim: The Movie."

Just got back. Liked it but it didn't feel like a genuine extension of the Blade Runner world even with the obvious plot elements. Harrison Ford is playing himself here...he doesn't even seem like Rick Deckard. Was bored with Gosling and felt the whole Leto angle was underbaked for a movie that lasted nearly 3 hours.

Going to have to see it again but I was not as enraptured as some critics were. Also felt the sluggish pace and drawn out running time are going to prevent this from making the kind of coin some people think it will.

Davide

Appreciate the replies, I'll probably see it tomorrow, then watch the original, and back to the theater to see 2049 again.

Surfinn

Looks like it's sitting at 90%/8.4 (it could go up or down a lot more though as there are probably still a little under a hundred reviews that have yet to hit)

I was way off with my 96% but that's ok.

It's a good movie.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just got home from seeing this.

I know its a little early to be saying this but this might be one of the best movies I've ever seen.

The world is so deeply realized and believable. Its really well acted (Gosling, Bautista, Wright, De Armas,

Each scene is beautifully shot. The score builds the tension masterfully. Denis Villeneuve is a genius who really knows how to let each scene build the tension and then focus on it.

So many themes and subplots explored here, a lot of them so subtly and low key. The twists, my goodness there were so many plot twists. The movie really takes you on a ride with twists and turns at every moment. It makes you think, it makes you ask questions. The last scene literally had me on the edge of my seat.

Denis Villeneuve just became my favourite director around. This movie is a masterpiece.

There's a ridiculous amount of depth to the plot and underlying themes contained in this film.

There's certainly no dearth of substance, regardless of the stylistic quality.

Neece

I swear these kind of blockbusters can really piss off more casual moviegoers. A couple walked out of the theater in the middle of the film (
right before we got to Harrison Ford
) and the guy yelled "this movie sucks" as he was leaving. And then when the movie was over, I heard a few scattered comments in the realm of "that's it?" or "what a waste."

I heard similar things after Arrival.

In either event, what a gorgeous film. Still processing the story but visually, my God. And though it felt long, I really enjoyed being introduced to the world because there was something visually interesting or imaginative with the technology every 5-10 minutes it felt like. The world itself was a character, just like in the original, and that kept me fully engaged even during the "slow" parts with the non-emoting replicants.

There's a ridiculous amount of depth to the plot and underlying themes contained in this film.

There's certainly no dearth of substance, regardless of the stylistic quality.

I'd say 2049 has more depth and more ideas than the original, to be honest, but the original is more emotional with a stronger yet simpler central theme.

I swear these kind of blockbusters can really piss off more casual moviegoers. A couple walked out of the theater in the middle of the film (
) and the guy yelled "this movie sucks" as he was leaving. And then when the movie was over, I heard a few scattered comments in the realm of "that's it?" or "what a waste."

They thought it was going to be an action extravaganza after watching those trailers.

The internet, and gaf in particular, gets carried in away in hype for a movie and can't see it on its own merits. I'm pretty much in lock step with you, looks and sounds beautiful but is unbelievably dull, needlessly long and has massive script issues.

I swear these kind of blockbusters can really confuse more casual moviegoers. A couple walked out of the theater in the middle of the film (

In either event, what a gorgeous film. Still processing the story but visually, my God.

The marketing is part of the problem. A lot of people are expecting Minority Report and getting Artificial Intelligence instead. I knew that going in. A lot of people are finding out halfway through the movie. It's a shame, but theres no accounting for taste.

Busaiku

I did not do myself a favor by watching this late.
I got sleepy, and missed things.

It was fine, but due to the insane length, I definitely missed a lot of stuff.

I don't know if I want to watch it again in theaters, probably when it hits Netflix.

I never actually saw the original, but this did make me want to check it out.

Mr. Tibbs

I swear these kind of blockbusters can really confuse more casual moviegoers. A couple walked out of the theater in the middle of the film (

In either event, what a gorgeous film. Still processing the story but visually, my God.

At the end of my screening, I heard quite a few people complain about the lack of a satisfactory resolution. The reaction wasn't nearly as harsh as my recent Mother screening, where the first walk out occurred after 20 minutes, but still Alcon's not really in the position to have another flop (especially after Transcendence and Point Break).

Vulture had a great article concerning the negative reaction to ”misleading auteurism" in Hollywood. Basically, movies where auteur films are marketed as straight-ahead genre pictures, which superficially appear like any other multiplex film, but don't meet the expectations of audiences who bought a ticket for something that satisfies genre expectations, rather than works that embrace unconventional or subversive approaches. That's not to suggest there's any risk of 2049 receiving an F on Cinemascore, because it's a very strong film, but it was apparent at my screening, some viewers left the theater disappointed they didn't get what the trailers promised: a sexy, action-packed, sci-fi, spectacle.

Vulture had a great article concerning the negative reaction to “misleading auteurism” in Hollywood. Basically, movies where auteur films are marketed as straight-ahead genre pictures, which superficially appear like any other multiplex film, but don’t meet the expectations of audiences who bought a ticket for something that satisfies genre expectations, rather than works that embrace unconventional or subversive approaches. That’s not to suggest there’s any risk of 2049 receiving an F on Cinemascore, because it’s a very strong film, but it was apparent at my screening, some viewers left the theater disappointed they didn’t get what the trailers promised: a sexy, action-packed, sci-fi, spectacle.

It's an interesting article, if only for introducing CinemaScore which I'd never heard of. It appears to be designed to give an early measure of a film's word of mouth going forward from its first night. Films that completely capture and satisfy a target group of viewers will get a high grade, while those that capture viewers at the opening but disappoint many of them will get a lower grade.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/here-are-the-only-19-movies-to-ever-receive-an-f-cinemascore.html

One of my favourite films is Cabin in the Woods, a triumphant expectation-confounding auteur collaboration between Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard. Marketed as horror in the trailers (see below), it scored a comparatively low C. In 31 years, only 19 films have ever scored F.

https://youtu.be/uWX_RPnUpBk

Monocle

What an impressive sequel. Everything was so right. All the new stuff fits perfectly in the world established in the original. And the way the story was continued... damn solid.

Can I see it without seeing the first one?
You can but I don't recommend it. Seeing the original just before the second one will seriously enhance your experience. There are significant connections between the two films.

The internet, and gaf in particular, gets carried in away in hype for a movie and can't see it on its own merits. I'm pretty much in lock step with you, looks and sounds beautiful but is unbelievably dull, needlessly long and has massive script issues.
This shit is nothing but an admission of your own deficient attention span.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Its fine that you dont like it, but I hate it when people who dont like overwhelmingly liked things act like everybody else is wrong.

A-V-B

Sounds just like the public's reaction to the original lol

It truly is a worthy successor

rrc2soft

I will watch the movie in like, 6 hours. I don't want to be hyped (Blade Runner is my favourite movie of all time, and I know the sequel will never reach those heights)... but I am hyped. Really hyped.

One good thing is that I know almost nothing about the movie and its characters, beyond the short anime film by Watanabe.

5 hours, 57 minutes...

Epcott

Can’t wait to watch this at 7PM!

I watched the original recently, and realized why I didn’t remember much about it... because aside from the look of the city, Priss backflips, and Roy at the end, there really wasn’t much to it. Ford just dials it in, and that phony investigator he played was just out of nowhere 😆

But I still love the movie, especially for how it moved the genre forward.

Hell, I’m looking forward to the home release already, which hopefully includes the youtube shorts and 2022 Blackout.

Not

Banned
Damn, how far down will it go? I'm predicting an 86% RT when all is said and done.

Should probably duck out of this thread as it seems like a lot of people saw the movie already.

Jac_Solar

Lots of people have praised the world building and such of this movie, but I just don't understand why? The world felt empty and meaningless, and consequently the characters motivations felt pointless. There's nothing to ground anything. It also felt like there were only 6 or so people in the entire world. Characters do stuff, but the movie didn't give me any reason to care about why they do it.

Also, the love/romance angle felt forced and completely random.

kmax

My spoiler free review (the spoiler review is in the spoiler thread):

Blade Runner 2049 is a film that Ghost in the Shell wished it had been.

The movie has a heavy aura of mystique surrounding it. It is an incredible crafted film that felt like an anime in a many regards, which I thought gave the film depth that I wished that the hollywood adaption of GiTS had. There are so many elements in this film that makes you appeciate the way the story is being told. Everything is laid out with finesse and detail that makes the film such a powerful experience.

As for the cinematography, Roger Deakins will without a doubt win an Academy for this. Every scene was absolutely amazing. The visuals, the camera angels. Incredible. Absolutely incredible. The direction was on point by Villeneuve that creates a film that he wants to create. Nothing here is rushed, nothing here is in there for the sake of things. It's all there to tell you something.

As for the acting, this was an incredible feat from everyone. They were all on point. Everyone was playing their A game in this, and it truly shows.

This film is incredible, and I can't wait for the 4K bluray collectors edition for this one. I need to see it again, and again.

A+

FiraB

Banned
Just got out of it.

Good movie but figured it all out 40minutes into the film which kinda destoryed the mystery of the movie.

Otherwise has great sound design, excellent pacing and nice character development.

Metal B

Good movie but figured it all out 40minutes into the film which kinda destoryed the mystery of the movie.
Blade Runner isn't a mystery movie front and center. Even in the first movie we know the culprits and there motives from the beginning. The question was, if Deckard could stop them and even if he should stop them at all.

Mr. Sam

Isn't Prisoners widely considered the superior movie anyway? It's so tense.

I'm not in love with Arrival but I was under the impression everybody else was, and it's certainly more ambitious than Prisoners, which I've always considered a decent crime thriller but little else.

Sicario and Arrival both shit on Prisoners from a great height tbh... Which is a really well-directed film that has some major screenplay problems.

Sicario's control of tension is also stronger than Prisoners', fwiw.

Top Bottom