• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma announced, coming to PS3

The 3 new characters.

159uxr.jpg

Noel shotgun.

21auo3.jpg

It's that a new tool or weapon in Bang's hand?.

7dvurj.jpg

Amane sprite.

3otul8.jpg

Noel new design.

4fgu25.jpg

Young Ragna from Amane Astral Heat.

5whuef.jpg

From Amane intro.

6ygukc.jpg

And some random images that are quickly display at the end of the trailer.

All the details here:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/08/05/arc-system-works-announces-blazblue-chrono-phantasma-includes-three-new-characters-additional-outfits-updated-moves-and-more/

I'm going to wait it out for the next revision after this.

I'm honestly completely sick of all of the revisions in the BlazBlue franchise, the fact that they're not just released as DLC when brought over to consoles completely sickens me.

Why, good thing I didn't get the one with Relius!
What version of BlazBlue is this now? 4th or 5th? And people are giving Capcom shit for releasing revised versions lol

YAY! I can't wait for more HD 2D titles. :)

I know this is off topic...but I have never played a BB title. I loved GG and am going to give it a shot. I own a PS3, PC, and WII at the moment. What title for which platform should I get.

Thanks.

Ken

Will buy and give up after 5 minutes like all the other BBs I bought.

I wish BB was more accessible. :(

YAY! I can't wait for more HD 2D titles. :)

I know this is off topic...but I have never played a BB title. I loved GG and am going to give it a shot. I own a PS3, PC, and WII at the moment. What title for which platform should I get.

Thanks.

Out of those platforms I believe the only one where its available is the PS3.

Toski

In terms of Guilty Gear, which one would this be the equivalent of? Would this be #Reload or Accent Core?

I've recently been playing a lot more of Extend and I'm enjoying it. This sounds promising, but I do hope the changes are crazy and unpredictable. The series needs a real fire lit under it's ass after all the revisions.
Why, good thing I didn't get the one with Relius!
What version of BlazBlue is this now? 4th or 5th? And people are giving Capcom shit for releasing revised versions lol
They're working on a new game that has three characters in it instead of just one like extend. I don't get the complaint. Extend was sorta weaksauce for people who bought the others though.
In terms of Guilty Gear, which one would this be the equivalent of? Would this be #Reload or Accent Core?
Definitely the incoming Accent Core if the changes are really good.

No offense...
I bought ct, then i bought cs and the dlc for cs... Then i bought the current iteration...
And Now they want more money? Make it a dlc price if you own the last iteration , have some shame.....

Very cool. This is definitely a true sequel rather than just an update if they're redrawing old sprites.

New Guilty Gear, Persona and a new BB? I can dig it.

Well, Arc Systemworks sure know how to piss on their own parties. Guilty Gear Online Edition was announced before BB Extend was released, which has been pretty much AWOL since and Persona 4 Arena's been announced and released before then, but not before Arc announces another Blazblue iteration. Hopefully it's a bigger jump than between Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift, the franchise needs a game that's conceived as a "proper sequel" by the general gaming public in order to continue (then again, I don't recall anyone pissing on Guilty Gear in retrospect for doing the exact same kind of shit).

(I mean, seriously now: if Calamity Trigger was equivalent to vanilla Guilty Gear, Continuum Shift would be Guilty Gear X, with the DLC it would be Plus, Continuum Shift 2 would be Advance Edition and Extend would be Guilty Gear X ver.1.5. By this train of thought, Chrono Phantasma would be equivalent to Guilty Gear XX.)

It's not a revision guys, it's a new game, they even change the sprites for some character, including different weapons for Noel, so is not Extend plus 3 new character and a new story mode, it's more than that, read the link.

It's not a revision guys, it's a new game, they even change the sprites for some character, including different weapons for Noel, so is not Extend plus 3 new character and a new story mode, it's more than that, read the link.
Yep...
Professor said:
- There's reportedly a lot that's been changed in the game. The neutral poses have been redrawn for all the characters, and their costumes are even different. Of course they also have new moves.
It sounds pretty damn drastic. I love it. Still wish they would put in Jubei and Kokonoe already...

So I never played fast the first one, how much more insane has the BlazBlue plot been cause the first game's plot was really confusing at times lol.

360 has Blazblue as well.

Don't think there's any major differences between the two versions. Just go with what controller best suits you.

Well he said he has PS3, PC and Wii, so 360 is not an option.

Just cuz one character got changed and a few sprites altered to reflect the new story mode... I dunno, it still is a BlazBlue revision to me, unless it looks really REALLY different.

Or to say it differently: Pics or didn't happen.

They're working on a new game that has three characters in it instead of just one like extend. I don't get the complaint. Extend was sorta weaksauce for people who bought the others though.

Well, you see, I DID buy the first 2 games and the DLC (I skipped Extend), and I don't even play Blazblue that much. And here's another yearly BlazBlue release. Feels bad man.

sephi22

- Location testing will begin tomorrow at Akihabara Hey. (wth? It's a normal Monday)
- The event will be ending at 7PM(soon) so more details should be getting reported by people within the next few hours. This thread will be updated with them so check back.
- The new release will be titled Blazblue Chrono Phantasma (might be Fantasma).
- There's reportedly a lot that's been changed in the game. The neutral poses have been redrawn for all the characters, and their costumes are even different. Of course they also have new moves.
- Noel has a different weapon and she doesn't wear a cap this time.
- Tsubaki seems to be the version that's fallen to the dark side.
- Hazama has a new DD
- The BGMs seems to be different as well
- Three new characters will be added in: Amane, Barret(Bullet?), Azrael. Amane fights with something like a cloth, Barret looks a bit like Makoto, Azrael is muscular.
Where the eff are Kokonoe, Jubei, Nine and Saya? DLC?

Kuugrr

So I never played fast the first one, how much more insane has the BlazBlue plot been cause the first game's plot was really confusing at times lol.

It's only gotten crazier. I love it.

Definitely sounds like a new game to me. Hype + 1 after skipping Extend.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Out of those platforms I believe the only one where its available is the PS3.

Pretty certain there's a PC version of the original game as well, although that only technically came out in Europe, I believe. Of course, that's assuming you don't count pirate versions of the arcade editions given the hardware those run on, but that's a rabbit hole that I imagine is best not delved into here.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
For a second, I imagined BlazBlue as some kind of obscure magazine or website, and that Square Enix had announced Chrono Phantasma, the sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Oh well... :(

Westlo

Lots of people clueless about 2d animation posting here... New sprites + new costums is a lot of work, you guys think they can change costumes like a 3d game or something? Lol fuck outta here.

Extend was bullshit, this isn't.

alstein

Extend left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. It's going to take some big changes and a reasonable price to get folks to play this in the US.

I'm skeptical, but an evil Tsubaki sounds interesting.

zoku88

They're removing Noel's cap? :(

I actually didn't play any others except the first one, which actually had a pretty good story.

And good places to read the stories for the other games?

I hate to derail this thread again, but which version of BB for the PS3 is currently the best. I am going shopping with the spouse tomorrow and want to pick up the right one. :)

Tobe

so arc is getting 60 bucks from extend, another 60 for P4A and other 60 for chrono phantasma? 180 usd in a year goddamn.

I hate to derail this thread again, but which version of BB for the PS3 is currently the best. I am going shopping with the spouse tomorrow and want to pick up the right one. :)

Get BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend.
It has all characters (including the DLC ones for Continuum Shift) and story modes.

If you want to have the complete story, you might wanna grab Calamity Trigger too (or you just watch the story for that on YouTube or so).

Toski

You might as well wait for this one. No one knows yet if you need Extend or if this is another disc.

sephi22

Quick question: do you guys think we'll get a decent announcer this time or someone even worse?

Blazblue: continuum shift EXTEND

Tizoc

I'm going to wait it out for the next revision after this.

I'm honestly completely sick of all of the revisions in the BlazBlue franchise, the fact that they're not just released as DLC when brought over to consoles completely sickens me.

Well as far as disc releases go there was
CT
CS
CSE
CT and CS play drastically different, with CS getting digital updates on PSN and XBL...and I'm pretty sure there only 2-3 major updates.
CSE should've also been a digital update tho.

...tho tbh, as far as CS is concerened, that's only 2 disc releases so...eh, but really a digital update would've been appreciated.

Azrael looks interesting tho.

Continuum Shift Extend is basically yer complete edition. All the DLC, vast majority of the story thus far, more game modes and an extra character specifically designed to piss everyone off.

That's exactly what i am wondering ...

i can't wait to see the new version of old characters
Noel, jin, litchi, tsubaki are sure to have changed

Can't wait to see what arrived in ikaruga too

Westlo

You have to go extend because it came with a new character and balance updates lol, that's why that was bullshit and this actual new Blazblue will get a lot of hate in here. I'm actually kinda hyped to play this version of Blazblue...

sephi22

it's only me who is interested in the story over the gameplay?
No. Me too. Its the only reason i keep buying these games. Its been a while since i finished CS. I have CSE but havent started the story mode. Will try to finish it this week. Does CSE expand on the CS true ending? That ending was bonkers, with Jin finally becoming the protagonist.

Toski

Well as far as disc releases go there was
CT
CS
CSE
CT and CS play drastically different, with CS getting digital updates on PSN and XBL...and I'm pretty sure there only 2-3 major updates.
CSE should've also been a digital update tho.

...tho tbh, as far as CS is concerened, that's only 2 disc releases so it ain't a big deal.

Azrael looks interesting tho.

3 discs is too much IMO for "the same game." I would've preferred if CS I and II/E were DLC for CT. CSE disc could've been a GOTY for BlazBlue.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Called this shit being this different the day I got the true end on CS there was no way BB3 wasn't going to be a complete overhaul as the game is focused on story over everything else for advancement.

Anyways I have a pretty good idea of gameplay changes everyone is going to get along with new moves and such. Shoot away and I'll throw mah theories at ya :p

3 discs is too much IMO for "the same game." I would've preferred if CS I and II/E were DLC for CT. CSE disc could've been a GOTY for BlazBlue.
I'm sorry but CS is no where near the same game as CT the engine got a overhaul. Please actually play the games. The only one that shouldn't of gotten a new disc was Ex, CS was a sequel in everyway

It's gotten balls to the wall crazy. I like that it's got a lot of stuff going on.
Well, you see, I DID buy the first 2 games and the DLC (I skipped Extend), and I don't even play Blazblue that much. And here's another yearly BlazBlue release. Feels bad man.
Ah, I understand why you skipped Extend. I don't see any reason to skip this, honestly. You'll have lots of content in this new one with four new characters to play with, 22 new stories(66 new endings? :3) and four new sets of challenges. There will likely be a big overhaul to everyone's challenges too. Combine that with new music, sprites, moves and even distortion drives and I don't see any reason why anyone should dismiss the game if they skipped Extend. Goddamn this will be a good deal for anyone who just stopped at CT. It'll be like going from Vanilla Street Fighter to AE 2012.
As I speculated. Hopefully they are priced much more reasonably than Valk, Mak and Plat were.
Lots of people clueless about 2d animation posting here... New sprites + new costums is a lot of work, you guys think they can change costumes like a 3d game or something? Lol fuck outta here.

Extend was bullshit, this isn't.
Seriously

They are definitely putting a ton of work into the game on this one. Redrawing all the idle sprites, adding new costumes and bringing new BGMs is big stuff.

I wonder if this means they'll be tweaking old BGMs too...
Extend left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. It's going to take some big changes and a reasonable price to get folks to play this in the US.

I'm skeptical, but an evil Tsubaki sounds interesting.
Tsubaki got tired of being low tier and joined the dark side.
Definitely Extend

It's got the biggest cast, the most comprehensive collection of story modes, a HUGE number of unlockables(costume colors, official/fan drawings, announcer voices and unlimited/EX characters). The online scene is also still active which surprises me.
Called this shit being this different the day I got the true end on CS there was no way BB3 wasn't going to be a complete overhaul as the game is focused on story over everything else for advancement.

Anyways I have a pretty good idea of gameplay changes everyone is going to get along with new moves and such. Shoot away and I'll throw mah theories at ya :p
I just want Bang to have some sort of teleport and some better defensive options. Tager needs some SERIOUS mobility buffs and Noel just needs to be less mashy. The game could definitely use shorter high damage combos like Guilty Gear too.

Changes like those to the combo system could actually let me use Rachel and that would be AWESOME!

Kuugrr

But CT and CS are different games. Its story mode is a direct sequel and they added characters / mechanics.

I would've preferred that Extend was DLC like CS2 though.

Korigama

so arc is getting 60 bucks from extend, another 60 for P4A and other 60 for chrono phantasma? 180 usd in a year goddamn.
Extend was never $60 (not that I bothered buying it), and it's very unlikely that a console version of this will be ready before next year.

Toski

I'm sorry but CS is no where near the same game as CT the engine got a overhaul. Please actually play the games. The only one that shouldn't of gotten a new disc was Ex, CS was a sequel in everyway
I didn't know they overhauled the engine, only that Rachael was nerfed into the ground lol. You're right that all of CS should've been DLC with this CP (CF?) being the new disc release.

Tizoc

CT and CS don't even play the same...I miss CT Tager's damage =(

Top Bottom