• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard announces there will be no Blizzcon in 2024

Kacho

Huh. I thought he was over Diablo 4 as well. I remember watching him essentially saying that the game can't be saved with the stuff that Blizzard are planning to do to it since really saving it would mean to torpedo their live-service model. Or something like that.

But makes sense, he somehow regularly ends up playing what he hates on, lmao.
He was until season 4. He does the same thing with WoW expansions.

"Retail sucks!"

Blizzard announces new expansion

"Looks pretty good guys"

Two weeks after release

"Retail sucks!"

sendit

I can see why, creating demos results in code that may or may not be used in production. Phil Spencer has a high bar for code/peer reviews and doesn't want to see wasted effort. I commend him in his quest to set a precedent of tier 1 development streams.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Buy GamePass.

League Of Legends Lol GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

rm082e

If I remember correctly, they were losing money most of the time on these conventions. So I'd rather they save the money and use it to keep paying people's salaries.

Hudo

"Retail sucks!"

"Looks pretty good guys"

Two weeks after release

"Retail sucks!"
Abusive relationship in a nutshell

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

"Retail sucks!"

"Looks pretty good guys"

Two weeks after release

"Retail sucks!"
I can't blame him. Its an abusive relationship and one I know all too well. If you are a fan, you *want* it to return to being good. You desperately hope so. You find every reason to want to like it. But then when you start playing, all the issues start coming out again.

Asmongold is so overrated with his 2.51 million subs. I don't get it.
Like some other youtubers and grifters, they are taking full advantage of modern day gaming politics. If there's one thing a lot of gamers love more than video games, it's finding something to blame for why they aren't having fun in modern times. He knows this and he has willingly become a beacon for it.

It's easy views, and when he's wrong about something, it's even more views. I can't hate the guy because he has mastered the art of what he does, which is why he has 2.5m subs.

They have nothing new to show. OW0.2 is dead. D4 is dead. WoW is dead. They might announce some mobile game but they know it's stupid to do it at blizzcon.

amigastar

Like some other youtubers and grifters, they are taking full advantage of modern day gaming politics. If there's one thing a lot of gamers love more than video games, it's finding something to blame for why they aren't having fun in modern times. He knows this and he has willingly become a beacon for it.

It's easy views, and when he's wrong about something, it's even more views. I can't hate the guy because he has mastered the art of what he does, which is why he has 2.5m subs.
I can't tell what he mastered but it has to be something considering he has 2.5m subs. But you see thats the thing i don't see him as better than many youtubers who have 10 000 - 250 000 subs.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

the entire company was consumed...i think its ok they take some time to get a plan of the direction of the company

I can't tell what he mastered but it has to be something considering he has 2.5m subs.
He has mastered playing the algorithm/youtube game. He knows which topics to hit, at which time, when to post about them, and knows how to present and talk about them amongst a modern audience.

But you see thats the thing i don't see him as better than many youtubers who have 10 000 - 250 000 subs.
I see this sentiment all the time, much like the sentiment of 'anyone can do youtube' back during the last decade. There's a multitude of factors that you aren't considering, for example like the amount of time on said platform. Show me those youtubers so that I can see and explain the difference in what Asmongold is doing right compared to what they are doing half-right.

On a side note, you have to understand that me saying this doesn't mean I like everything the guy does. On the contrary I think that he is one of the youtubers who have had a negative influence on gaming due to him sending his entire audience down a woke-rabbit hole. However from saying that, even when I'm not on the same page as someone I can recognize when someone is good at what they do.

DavidGzz

We'll see the D4 expansion in the Xbox showcase. Why waste money on a big event when there is no huge new game to announce? Sounds good to me.

I still struggle to understand why MS would pay almost $70 billion for CoD (which is staying multiplatform anyway) and fucking Blizzard who haven’t made a good game for a decade (Overwatch).

Imagine the AAA studios they could have bought for much less than that figure - Square, Capcom, Insomniac, Remedy and Konami + SEGA IP.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I still struggle to understand why MS would pay almost $70 billion for CoD (which is staying multiplatform anyway) and fucking Blizzard who haven’t made a good game for a decade (Overwatch).

Imagine the AAA studios they could have bought for much less than that figure - Square, Capcom, Insomniac, Remedy and Konami + SEGA IP.
COD and WoW print more money than all those others you put combined.

Furthermore even though everyone shits on Blizzard they keep making fat stacks.

If you think Diablo 4 expansion for example won’t sell gang busters or the new WoW expansion, you’re delusional.

What do they have to show for it?

SoD is good, but not much to showcase unless they plan on continuing SoD into expansions.

Dragonflight has been a joke in terms of content with many having issues with how content light 10.2 was and how boring and bland Amirdrassil was. Now we have a new season of nothing new and just more of the same? This is supposed to tide players over until September?

Plunderstorm is awful.

Mists Timerunning looks mediocre.

War Within looks promising, but that won’t be until September at the earliest for a full proper release. So what would they showcase at Blizzcon? The first major patch?

There is nothing to show for this year.
You don't have to show new content to celebrate wow's 20th anniversary. You celebrate the past 20 years of wow, and there's plenty of content in those 20 years to fill a show.

COD and WoW print more money than all those others you put combined.

Furthermore even though everyone shits on Blizzard they keep making fat stacks.

If you think Diablo 4 expansion for example won’t sell gang busters or the new WoW expansion, you’re delusional.
Of course they will sell. Taylor Swift "sells". Doesn't make either of them good.

Also buying the publishers I listed would have gained MS a bigger foothold in the traditional core gaming market (where they are floundering). Yes CoD, WoW and mobile games make money but the deal was meant to strengthen Xbox as a brand not be a tiny (in comparison to Office, Cloud, OS etc) income for MS.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Of course they will sell. Taylor Swift "sells". Doesn't make either of them good.

Also buying the publishers I listed would have gained MS a bigger foothold in the traditional core gaming market (where they are floundering). Yes CoD, WoW and mobile games make money but the deal was meant to strengthen Xbox as a brand not be a tiny (in comparison to Office, Cloud, OS etc) income for MS.
???

Why would Xbox or MS at this point care about a third place brand that is memed on?

They care about money. That’s it.

This was the best use of their $ to make more $. Phil has been on record saying making good games isn’t how they can fix their issues. They don’t believe in making high quality product you can’t get anywhere else. They want to just flood shovelware everywhere to make $.

Zheph

Huh. I thought he was over Diablo 4 as well. I remember watching him essentially saying that the game can't be saved with the stuff that Blizzard are planning to do to it since really saving it would mean to torpedo their live-service model. Or something like that.

But makes sense, he somehow regularly ends up playing what he hates on, lmao.
He shits on a game, saying he will never touch it anymore and play it for 2 weeks after, zero backbone whatsoever.
He made a 2h video essay on why D4 was a piss of shit, only to be back on it a week later and drop 400h on the game. I called him out and got a warning lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

I would say the first 5. The series peaked with WotLK, afterwards it’s just pointless systems on top of systems.
I would argue Cata and MoP were both good to great. Cata had the world revamp which was amazing at the time. The end game zones were fantastic, and Firelands was the best raid for many.

The issue with that expansion was that they spent so much time redoing the leveling experience that they didn’t have much planned for end game content so they rereleased and remade things like the troll raids instead.

Then Dragon Soul being an incredibly rushed raid didn’t help matters.

MoP was damn near perfect. Amazing narrative and world building. New fun additions with pet battles. Some of the best raids we have ever gotten since.

Tg89

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

I would say the first 5. The series peaked with WotLK, afterwards it’s just pointless systems on top of systems.
I think if the Classic cycle showed anything to the community, it was that WotLK was not the peak of WoW. The peak was always Vanilla.

That said, on the original comment, I'll give them credit that they've been doing a decent job with Season of Discovery. Though the world of Vanilla is so good that you can practically do anything with it and have it not suck.

Top Bottom