• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard sues Overwatch "cheat" maker for copyright infringement

1. Frustum culling
  2. Why does the client needs to know that? The server can tell that the client.

Frustum culling doesn't discard occluded geometry. It merely discards geometry outside the viewing frustum. Whether something is covered by a wall or not doesn't matter. You're thinking of occlusion culling.

Dryk

I hope this doesn't set a bad precedent for modding. But I noticed that the ruling does mention that it costs Blizzard a lot of money and ruins the game for other players so hopefully that was a big factor.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I don't think it works in Russia, where most cheat from

la_briola

Bad news. This sets a terrible precedent as discussed earlier in this thread.

edit: "Because Bossland decided not to represent itself, it was a relatively easy for Blizzard, which was awarded several million in copyright damages."

Seems like they don't care that much?

"While its a hefty judgment, the order doesn’t really come as a surprise given that the German cheat maker failed to defend itself."

"Bossland CEO Zwetan Letschew previously informed TorrentFreak that his company would continue the legal battle after the issue of a default judgment. Whatever the outcome, the cheats will remain widely available outside of the US for now."

So nothing changes as of now. :lol

Bad news. This sets a terrible precedent as discussed earlier in this thread.

Is this the first time a developer has successfully won a lawsuit against a cheat dev?

I think the issue is less that this sets a bad precedent, and more that there are a bazillion cheat devs left, even for Overwatch. The only practical effect of this is that they've blown a silly amount of money going after creators who will simply relaunch the same program under a new name, while in-game botting remains rampant courtesy of the bazillion other cheat devs they haven't sued. At best, it's nothing more than a small risk cheat devs can defer for a year or more (in this case, about ten years) while the cheat(s) pays for itself several times over.

la_briola

Is this the first time a developer has successfully won a lawsuit against a cheat dev?

I think the issue is less that this sets a bad precedent, and more that there are a bazillion cheat devs left, even for Overwatch. The only practical effect of this is that they've blown a silly amount of money going after creators who will simply relaunch the same program under a new name, while in-game botting remains rampant courtesy of the bazillion other cheat devs they haven't sued. At best, it's nothing more than a small risk cheat devs can defer for a year or more (in this case, about ten years) while the cheat(s) pays for itself several times over.
I don't really give a fuck about any cheat developer for online games. I'm against them.
I have issue on which grounds they sue. This could also effect mods.

I don't really give a fuck about any cheat developer for online games. I'm against them.
I have issue on which grounds they sue. This could also effect mods.

Fair enough.

At worst, this sets a bad precedent. At best, it's a PR stunt that will be lucky to have a scarecrow effect. But I look forward to everyone praising them anyways.

How can a US court enforce a German company?

They can't aside from preventing above-board sales of the products to US citizens, I would assume. Surely anyone from the US who really wants to cheat can still get their hands on this regardless though. Region-spoofing online isn't particularly difficult.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Blizzard sues Bossland three times a year. At this point, it's just harassment.

They've won in US court before - see MMOFlight - but it isn't going to matter, in all likeness.

Also, there's been expansions where wow was much better with honorbuddy. Cheating in PVE games isn't always harmful.

la_briola

Blizzard won in the court. They've gotten $8.5m from the cheat company in Germany and they're not allowed to operate in the US. This was due to them not turning up to the court case and Blizzard got the automatic win. Was waiting for someone to create a thread about it but haven't found one.
[citation needed]

Tacitus_

By reverse engineering the games and allowing users to play modified versions, Bossland infringed Blizzard’s copyrights and allowed its users to do the same.

Yup, nothing horribly wrong here.

Blizzard sues Bossland three times a year. At this point, it's just harassment.

They've won in US court before - see MMOFlight - but it isn't going to matter, in all likeness.

Also, there's been expansions where wow was much better with honorbuddy. Cheating in PVE games isn't always harmful.

Honorbuddy implies based on the name that it's used for the PVP portion of WoW. Though I think it could also be used for PvE? Never paid too much attention to it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I really hope this stays a cat and mouse game.
fantastic to see people earning money off people wanting to cheat,

I would really want to have a talk with a person that pays to cheat.
What the hell is the point.
All the legit progress you made is nullified.

Also i am fucking pissed off blizz goes all out nuclear on overwatch,
while diablo 3 online on consoles is fucking garbage,
i wasted 150 hours on that game only to be paragoned +100 by some asshat.
with a 3 green gem slot sword.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yup, nothing horribly wrong here.

Honorbuddy implies based on the name that it's used for the PVP portion of WoW. Though I think it could also be used for PvE? Never paid too much attention to it.
By far, the most usage honorbuddy gets is farming stupid shit. Flasks, gold, even pets.

I really hope this stays a cat and mouse game.
fantastic to see people earning money off people wanting to cheat,

I would really want to have a talk with a person that pays to cheat.
What the hell is the point.
All the legit progress you made is nullified.

Also i am fucking pissed off blizz goes all out nuclear on overwatch,
while diablo 3 online on consoles is fucking garbage,
i wasted 150 hours on that game only to be paragoned +100 by some asshat.
with a 3 green gem slot sword.

I've used bots in various MMOs for a long time, generally to skip\assist levelling\consumable grinding before raiding.
Cheating is about modifying the game's rules to fit the player. As long as it doesn't encroach on other people's game, it's fine.
Then again, botting is very different than straight-up hacking, as a botter is merely equivalent to a very determined player, and generally much worse.
Hacking trivializes the game itself, which is the issue with diablo.)

I've been in guilds, around cata-mop-wod, where honorbuddy usage was pretty much an open secret. "I like raiding, but i ain't got the time to keep up with the farming" is a mantra in some circles, and i really don't see the harm.
Blizzard massively tuned down farming in wod, and scaled it up to 11 by making farming exponentially less rewarding in legion, before actually going tough on bots (Which they did only due to introducing their form of real money trading)
Blizzard's stance on "Companion\light botting" was actually very, very lax until mid WOD - I'm talking "First time getting caught (which you wouldn't) slap on the wrist, second a 2-week ban, third permanent" lax.

Top Bottom