• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Forums Will Now Always Display Your Real Name

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that Blizzard has decided to make their forums display your real name, whether you want them to or not.

Blizzard said:
Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to the Forums

Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature - http://www.battle.net/realid/ , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

The official forums have always been a great place to discuss the latest info on our games, offer ideas and suggestions, and share experiences with other players -- however, the forums have also earned a reputation as a place where flame wars, trolling, and other unpleasantness run wild. Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven’t been connected before. With this change, you’ll see blue posters (i.e. Blizzard employees) posting by their real first and last names on our forums as well.

We also plan to add a number of other features designed to make reading the forums more enjoyable and to empower players with tools to improve the quality of forum discussions. Players will have the ability to rate up or rate down posts so that great topics and replies stand out from the not-so-great; low-rated posts will appear dimmer to show that the community feels that they don’t contribute effectively to the conversation, and Blizzard’s community team will be able to quickly and easily locate highly rated posts to participate in or to highlight discussions that players find worthwhile.

In addition, individual topics will be threaded by context, meaning replies to specific posts will be grouped together, making it easier for players to keep track of multiple conversations within a thread. We’re also adding a way for Blizzard posters to “broadcast” important messages forums-wide , to help communicate breaking news to the community in a clear and timely fashion. Beyond that, we’re improving our forum search function to make locating interesting topics easier and help lower the number of redundant threads, and we have more planned as well.

With the launch of the new Battle.net, it’s important to us to create a new and different kind of online gaming environment -- one that’s highly social, and which provides an ideal place for gamers to form long-lasting, meaningful relationships. All of our design decisions surrounding Real ID -- including these forum changes -- have been made with this goal in mind.

We’ve given a great deal of consideration to the design of Real ID as a company, as gamers, and as enthusiastic users of the various online-gaming, communication, and social-networking services that have become available in recent years. As these services have become more and more popular, gamers have become part of an increasingly connected and intimate global community – friendships are much more easily forged across long distances, and at conventions like PAX or our own BlizzCon, we’ve seen first-hand how gamers who may have never actually met in person have formed meaningful real-life relationships across borders and oceans. As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come.

For more info on Real ID, check out our Real ID page and FAQ located at http://www.battle.net/realid/ . We look forward to answering your questions about these upcoming forum changes in the thread below.
Source: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041&sid=3000&pageNo=1

I'm unsure if these changes retroactively effect the World of Warcraft and StarCraft II forums, but in case they do, I thought I would give everyone a heads up in case they want to change their Battle.net account Real ID information.

Update:

Apparently this will not be retroactive to existing posts.

V_Ben

Banned
fair enough. real names add a bit more personality to a forum sometimes. Sucks for the people who put in a fake name, and now may be known as "Charlie C*ntflaps", if that's possible.

Edit: Then again, i use my real name anyway, so i'm of the mind that it doesn't matter.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is TERRIBLE. Oh my God, the forums will get even worse than they currently are.

First Battle net 1.5 and now this. :lol

birdchili

the'll get less trolling and general garbage, true.

they'll get a lot less interesting conversation as well. less people are going to get involved without the layer of anonymity, whether they're jerks or not.

Aeana

As long as it's only on the forums, I guess I'll just avoid posting on them. I hope it doesn't become available publicly on demand otherwise.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Blizzard said:
Real ID is a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net.
mhmhmhmmh

Akia

Attaching a fake name to your Blizzard account that contains all your Blizzard games is not a good idea. Especially if you plan on calling support to reclaim your account if anything happens anytime in the near future.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DemiMatt said:
me too. whats the big issue?
Plenty of devs out there like to remain anonymous wherever possible.

Aeana said:
As long as it's only on the forums, I guess I'll just avoid posting on them. I hope it doesn't become available publicly on demand otherwise.
Might also appear if you view someone's profile? Needs to be cleared up that it can at least be set to private there.

Struct09

I admire the bold move, and am looking forward to see how it works out for their forums.

If people want to continue to post about Blizzard games anonymously, there's plenty of other forums out there.

Akia said:
Attaching a fake name to your Blizzard account that contains all your Blizzard games is not a good idea. Especially if you plan on calling support to reclaim your account if anything happens anytime in the near future.
So just have it on your private profile, a thing that most forums and services have that no one else has access to. Not make it viewable to everyone by default.

watatatow

Real ID is a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net. When you and a friend mutually agree to become Real ID friends, you'll have access to a number of additional features that will enrich your social gaming experience in new and exciting ways.

http://us.battle.net/realid/?rhtml=y
Love the misleading title.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Nirolak said:
It seems that Blizzard has decided to make their forums display your real name, whether you want them to or not.

Source: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041&sid=3000&pageNo=1

I'm unsure if these changes retroactively effect the World of Warcraft and StarCraft II forums, but in case they do, I thought I would give everyone a heads up in case they want to change their Battle.net account Real ID information.

Could they retroactively put names to old posts like that? That sounds illegal, especially if that was never part of the user agreement back in the day. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit come out of this.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well it does say its optional and voluntary though...

watatatow said:
Thats what its confusing me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fersis said:
Well it does say its optional and voluntary though...
watatatow said:
That's for StarCraft II's friends list system, not their forum.

Their forum always displays your real name.

No one actually had an issue with the friends list system.

why? :lol

edit: oh - ...will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven’t been connected before

Amneisac

Well, it definitely sucks for people with very unique names. I'm sure I'm the only person in the world with my name, so it's kind of asking me to assume a greater risk than other people in a way. Then again, I don't post on those boards anyways and I can see how it would make people more accountable for their actions.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Akia said:
Then they should probably avoid posting on Blizzard's forums.
I'm assuming those forums would also include the technical support ones - should they also avoid those and stick to emailing/calling customer support to try and figure stuff out if they want to remain anonymous?

Danneee

XiaNaphryz said:
Plenty of devs out there like to remain anonymous wherever possible.

Might also appear if you view someone's profile? Needs to be cleared up that it can at least be set to private there.

So this will be a problem for developers who posts on WoW forums?

eznark

Banned
After a few weeks, when this shakes out and Blizzard has the most civilized forums on the interwebs, I'll definitely check them out. I always respect guys who are willing to attach their names to their internet posts (pretty common over at QT3).

FLEABttn

Banned
The anonymity of the WoW forums make it a cesspool, incapable of allowing for thoughtful discussion. This is probably to cut back on that, and probably will.

Participation is optional so this isn't really a big deal.

One important point which I don't believe has been relayed yet is that the switch to showing RealID on the forums will only happen with the new forum systems we're launching for StarCraft II shortly before its release, and a new forum system for World of Warcraft launching shortly before the release of Cataclysm.

All posts here on the current World of Warcraft forums, or any of our classic Battle.net forums, will remain as-is. They won't (and can't) automatically switch to showing a real first and last name.

All posts in the future on the new forum systems will be an opt-in choice and ample warning will be given that you're posting with your real first and last name.

Meh. Updated info.

LiK

Amneisac said:
Well, it definitely sucks for people with very unique names. I'm sure I'm the only person in the world with my name, so it's kind of asking me to assume a greater risk than other people in a way. Then again, I don't post on those boards anyways and I can see how it would make people more accountable for their actions.
User: Dave posted nude pics of me!
Mod: Which Dave?
User: Dave Smith!
Mod: Which Dave Smith?
User: Fuck you.

DarkJC

watatatow said:

It's not a misleading title at all. When the new forums launch, you will have no choice but to display your real name if you want to make a post.

Blizzard has confirmed this is NOT retroactive to existing posts, though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can understand why they're doing it, but it seems like overkill. People should sign in with their REALID, but then it's their identifier that gets displayed. Then moderators can ban the REALID and that troll is not a problem anymore.

I can sort of see what they are trying to do but I don't think it will work as planned if there even is a plan worth following lately.

Retro

KernelPanic said:
Blizzard's forums are a massive troll haven.

Having your real name exposed will discourage a lot of them.

Not really. The people who are dumb enough to post that kind of bilge will inevitably be the same people dumb enough to post it under their real name.

They are also finally adding a post ranking system where you can downrank stupid and uprank whatever passes for intelligence. Of course, the smart posts will get trolled until they're grayed out, so nothing really changes anyways.

Overall, the WoW forums are obnoxious, and I don't see this changing it.

barnone

The Real ID names are obviously controversial, but I can't wait to see Blizzard's other changes to the forums. I really like the dimming/brightening of topics to showcase the quality of the post (as seen by other posters). Real IDs will have a positive impact on discussion. However, the privacy concerns are certainly frightening. If this retroactively affects the WoW forums then some posters will be in for a rude awakening; I'm thinking Blizzard will wipe those forums and give posters a clean slate to start from.

watatatow

Nirolak said:
That's for StarCraft II's friends list system, not their forum.

Their forum always displays your real name.

No one actually had an issue with the friends list system.
DarkJC said:
It's not a misleading title at all. When the new forums launch, you will have no choice but to display your real name.

Yeah, I just checked again. My bad.

And damn.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Meh. Updated info.
DarkJC said:
It's not a misleading title at all. When the new forums launch, you will have no choice but to display your real name if you want to make a post.

Updating the OP noting that they're it's not retroactively changing post names. Thanks.

Not a big deal. I use my real name on the Home Theater forums. Though that's admittedly a very mature and different audience. Name calling or heated arguments are rare, if not non-existent.

Belgorim

Well, the forums cannot get much worse, so I hope it works out for them...

Just don't post on the forums if you do not like it, you can still play the game "completely anonymous"

FLEABttn

Banned
ZealousD said:
I can understand why they're doing it, but it seems like overkill. People should sign in with their REALID, but then it's their identifier that gets displayed. Then moderators can ban the REALID and that troll is not a problem anymore.

They can already tell what account a troll belongs to. The point isn't to make it easier for mods to track this (because the bottom line functionality hasn't changed), but to dissuade trolls as there's an actual name attached to their post as opposed to "Azzface" the level 1 paladin.

Top Bottom