• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzcon 2016 - The worst Blizzcon ever? [Up: Full content list for judging]

If Blizzcon 2016 was a Marvel movie, which Marvel movie would it be?

Results are only viewable after voting.

jediyoshi

I never read the thread under the original title, wandered in here and thought OP's post was a parody thread of that thread instead.

Overwatch just came out, why would they announce a sequel for it? Especially when population numbers are high. It's not like they're making paid dlc either. All the "service" is free. I don't play wow anymore and never played hots, sc2 or hearthstone so I can't comment on those. I will agree no diablo 4 was disappointing however.

Lol at anyone who pays 40 dollars to watch a stream though, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

Heigic

I'd prefer to buy the same CoD every year just with me paying $60 for the 6 new maps instead. No wait..

Firestorm

I don't need see why people are whining about the thread title change. That's what the reductive OP boils down to. I'm super psyched by the changes coming to Overwatch and that's all I play now that I've quit Hearthstone. What made someone think Blizzard would have a new game this year?

Azoor

Did you expect new games ? Blizz are the kind of company that releases games and keeps supporting them for years to come.

Skinpop

Christ. As if Blizzard was not a good developer.

well diablo 3 was bad imo. overwatch is decent but with one of the worst monetization schemes ever devised. personally I'd have to go back to wc3 to find anything I liked about blizzard so yeah that is my claim.

Jokab

I don't need see why people are whining about the thread title change. That's what the reductive OP boils down to. I'm super psyched by the changes coming to Overwatch and that's all I play now that I've quit Hearthstone. What made someone think Blizzard would have a new game this year?

Or, you know, one can just post in this thread arguing for why the OP is wrong. Instead of doing this petty title change.

Nibiru

Banned
The WoW panel this year just kept giving. Content overload.

They had to. WoD had almost no content through it's entire duration so they better have a ton for Legion imo.

I got a virtual ticket and despite the kind of meh announcements it's still fun.

Going to Blizzcon expecting new games is a fools dream. Blizzard doesn't make new games often they just stretch existing games to last forever

oti

Banned
As someone who follows his first Blizzcon because of Hearthstone and Overwatch I LOVE it. New updates for the games I love and great tournaments. I don't care about new games.

I bought Diablo 3 on Xbox a while ago, I should play it.

well diablo 3 was bad imo. overwatch is decent but with one of the worst monetization schemes ever devised. personally I'd have to go back to wc3 to find anything I liked about blizzard so yeah that is my claim.

How are random packs for cosmetics one of the "worst monetisation schemes ever devised"? Especially when the entire F2P and mobile market exist..?

KLoWn

What made someone think Blizzard would have a new game this year?
Numbnuts who hype themselves up for it every year without any evidence to what they're hoping for even exists. Last year it was WC3 remake, this year it was Diablo 2-3 remake (or Diablo 4) lol.

Syf

Banned
The WoW panel this year just kept giving. Content overload.
Which makes the "oh and another new patch for WoW" reductive statement pretty hilarious. It's more content in one patch than we ever got in the duration of WoD. Mocking thread title change was well deserved frankly.
How are random packs for cosmetics one of the "worst monetisation schemes ever devised"? Especially when the entire F2P and mobile market exist..?
And when those packs can be earned by playing the game.

Nere

I went into Blizzcon yesterday being hyped for Diablo I left hyped for WoW that WoW panel was unbelievable good.

KLoWn

It should've been clear for anyone who had taken a single look at the schedule when it was released that this was going to be a off year, with nothing major being announced.

Overwatch just came out, why would they announce a sequel for it? Especially when population numbers are high. It's not like they're making paid dlc either. All the "service" is free. I don't play wow anymore and never played hots, sc2 or hearthstone so I can't comment on those. I will agree no diablo 4 was disappointing however.

Lol at anyone who pays 40 dollars to watch a stream though, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

People seriously do this? Lmao

Skinpop

because it's designed to exploit users. it's a blatant skinner box. what makes it worse than f2p is that at least in those cases you could in some sense argue that the cosmetics is the price of the game. it's still a massive ethical issue but when you have that + charge full price then I don't understand how you can argue that it isn't worse. in any case I'd argue that almost any kind of micro-transaction monetization is a net loss for customers and ethically dubious at best because of the bad incentives that comes with it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Do elaborate. The consensus seems to disagree considering their average metacritic score is 87.

Probably the same consensus that gave launch D3 a free pass(88 metacritic for a game with core systems that were mostly broken as heck at launch). What a fucking joke that was.

Kacho

The writing has been on the wall for years. Time to accept what they are now and move on if it doesn't appeal to you.

Mik317

People need to realize these things are about more than just new announcements. It's a celebration of all things Blizzard. As a guy who only cares about one of their games, it seems to have met that. The tourneys, panels, and I imagine just being there is what makes it worth it

No_Style

As some one who only paid attention to Blizzcon from afar, I thought the Overwatch and Diablo 3 news bites were fantastic

It was a mod title change.

And they just changed it again. "Notable" now. Yeah, this isn't confusing at all

For reference, the cited title was "Blizzcon was the worst Blizzcon ever, I don't find service updates acceptable content". No idea what the OP's originally was

Blizzard has the most shills of any gaming company aside from maybe Nintendo, so yea. Gotta get dat limited edition mount.

hardcore fans that buy stuff aren't shills, and blizzard fans are dwarfed by sony (primarily) and nintendo fans - especially on GAF

I agree $40 for a virtual ticket is silly and I wouldn't pay for it in a hundred years, tho. the digital rewards suck and the best parts of blizzcon are either covered by fan sites live, or broadcasted free by blizzard.

Any links? Haven't really kept up.

Overwatch announcements:
Sombra and her legendary skins
New Map Oasis, Control/KOTH, coming in December
Quick Play will have Single Hero Limit
Oni skin for Genji for playing HotS with friends during that game's event
Overwatch League for esports
Weekly Brawls will be replaced by Arcade mode

Arcade mode:
1v1 and 3v3 skirmish modes on new map Ecopoint Antarctica
QP + Hero Stacking one mode
Mystery Heroes is a mode
All Brawls, will have various themed Brawls from past Weekly Brawls and new ones on rotation
You get 1 lootbox as reward for winning once in each specific mode for the first time
3 weekly lootboxes as reward for winning a few games

Every game got more than what the OP says except maybe Hearthstone (I haven't followed the HS stuff).

I wouldn't know, I only was watching the Overwatch content and parts of the HotS stuff.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm very happy getting news about new content being added to games I already own. Better than game announcements that are two years off.

Top Bottom