• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzcon 2016 - The worst Blizzcon ever? [Up: Full content list for judging]

If Blizzcon 2016 was a Marvel movie, which Marvel movie would it be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
So many people whine that devs don't support their games much after release. We got a shit load of free stuff from Blizzard supporting multiple years-old games and people say it's awful and Blizzard sucks.
All their games have micro transactions. Let's not pretend their "support" is coming from a place of nobility.

Nothing wrong with it, but "support" here mainly just means more shit for you to buy.

The WoW stuff is pretty great especially for a non-expansion reveal year. That actually has me the most excited.

Diablo was admittedly disappointing. I would've like more than just a character pack or whatever they're calling the Necro content. Needs actual new systems/campaign to stop getting stale so quickly. Seasons aren't enough at this point.

And I don't play Overwatch (maybe eventually), and no longer have much interest in SC2, despite them having some neat stuff. HotS is - I have no clue who plays this when League and Dota 2 exist.

All their games have micro transactions. Let's not pretend their "support" is coming from a place of nobility.

Nothing wrong with it, but "support" here mainly just means more shit for you to buy.

I didn't realize that Diablo 2 patch 1.14 was for the sake of selling long discontinued battle chests. It's easy to be cynical, but be thankful when there's genuine grace involved.

Ambient80

So because they have things that are entirely optional to purchase, adding a TON aid free content to their games is deceiving?

I don't realize that I paid for all the Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 patches with microtransactions.

fernoca

Don't have Overwatch, but was quite happy that Diablo 3 on consoles is getting more stuff. Is my most played PS4 game.

The real deal is in people's mind.

Blizzard was able somehow to pass this corporate idea so that you are a Blizzard fan more than you are a specific game fan. So, the bulk of these announcements together make for some good stuff, as long you're a player who's essentially affiliated to the Blizzard brand.

Otherwise, individually, there isn't really anything amazing. Path of Exile is doing far more than D3, with a dev team that is a tiny fraction of Blizzard's.

For some reason it's as if EA announced something new for Fifa and CoD players should rejoice...

Diablo 3

-Remaking Diablo 1 in Diablo 3! It's a rift, with a forced visual filter that looks like absolute shit....and it's a seasonal event! 1 month every year!

-Necro being added to Diablo 3! Most likely going to cost $15 or some bullshit and its not coming out until late next year....

Happy Anniversary!

Starcraft 2

Dead game.

WoW

Night and day difference from that worthless sack of shit that was WoD, i'm actually impressed with the content creation. For the first time in years they are actually giving a shit!

Overwatch

Lots of attention though that's obvious seeing the game is still very new. Stuff seems good.

HotS

I care the least about this game but at least Blizzard is still giving it real support so that's good for those that do like the game.

Overall a 5/10

Diablo 3

-Remaking Diablo 1 in Diablo 3! It's a rift, with a forced visual filter that looks like absolute shit....and it's a seasonal event! 1 month every year!

-Necro being added to Diablo 3! Most likely going to cost $15 or some bullshit and its not coming out until late next year....

Happy Anniversary!

Starcraft 2

Dead game.

WoW

Night and day difference from that worthless sack of shit that was WoD, i'm actually impressed with the content creation. For the first time in years they are actually giving a shit!

Overwatch

Lots of attention though that's obvious seeing the game is still very new. Stuff seems good.

HotS

I care the least about this game but at least Blizzard is still giving it real support so that's good for those that do like the game.

Overall a 5/10

War Chest for SC2 is huge, Deepmind AI is huge, and the "daed gaem" thing is pure ignorant.

The real deal is in people's mind.

Blizzard was able somehow to pass this corporate idea so that you are a Blizzard fan more than you are a specific game fan. So, the bulk of these announcements together make for some good stuff, as long you're a player who's essentially affiliated to the Blizzard brand.

Otherwise, individually, there isn't really anything amazing. Path of Exile is doing far more than D3, with a dev team that is a tiny fraction of Blizzard's.

For some reason it's as if EA announced something new for Fifa and CoD players should rejoice...

This just isnt accurate, the WoW panel alone was fantastic. I mainly play wow hots and overwatch and all three games got great announcements.

I think the disappointment people are expressing in this thread is mainly SC2 fans and Diablo fans.

Diablo 3

- I get that they are practically a skeleton team now but having the anniversary event be available only in January feels weird, dumb and something unrelated to the 20th Anniversary.

- Necromancer seems cool, powerful and fun but probably overpriced.

- It made me decide to play D2 for the first time. It's quite good so far.

Starcraft 2

- Sadly dead and little hints that Blizz have any idea what they want to do next.

Hots

- Varian and Ragnaros seem cool for people into HotS. Genji cross promotion will get me to play it again for a little bit. I will still be awful.

WoW

- Sounds like a huge patch for those playing. Hopefully Blizz keep it up and Legion will go down as their best overall xpac, I think.

Overwatch

- Clearly their big priority at the moment. Sombra's short was cool, she seems fun and like she will shake up the meta (a new character not doing that in some way would probably feel a bit pointless), 2 new maps, 2 new modes and more....

Overall? Probably 6 or 7?

Some stuff is really good, like OW and WoW, but even if Blizzard are being silent on Diablo 4 because they just don't have much to show for it...for the series' 20th anniversary it feels very much like that's it!? That said it will no doubt be a fun few hours.

Gator86

Why would they release a pixelized, time-limited Diablo dungeon with shittier movement? It's just a terrible fucking idea.

2 characters and a map for Overwatch in 2016. Fuck your loot-crates, Blizzard.

labx

Banned
OP, Why Blizzard should go and make a new game, burning a lot of resources and take chances when you can make profit with well positioned franchises? I mean, Diablo fans are going to play Diablo no matter what, the same with Starcraft, Overwatch, WoW, etc. They are willing to maintain they games that run in almost every PC right now. People want to feel included, Blizzard knows that and instead of making a brand new game that will divide their fandom in two they rather gather them around the same products.

I'm the first that wants Diablo 4, but watching this Blizzcon I realized that Blizzard isn't very good making new things, Blizzard is good making old things feel new again. And for sure a new Diablo game is going to be at the next Blizzcon and/or putting one of their IPs into consoles. Just imagine how much money they would make if they decide to launch Hearthstone in consoles, selling it for 60 dollars with all the expansions.

Wanderer5

More like 2 characters, 2 maps, arcade mode that has a few stuff in it, and another map that right at the start of next year. Not bad alongside other events, competitive seasons, and all. Game is like a little more than half a year old still.

nynt9

People who don't have time to commit to 45-60 min matches.

HotS scratches my moba itch, and I enjoy the shorter matches.

Also the community is a lot less toxic, the game is a lot more friendly to moba first timers, and for blizzard fans you get to play as your favorite characters instead of cheap knockoffs is said characters.
the last one is a bit undeserved, even though those games started as WC3 DOTA clones they did a lot to develop their own identity.

Why would they release a pixelized, time-limited Diablo dungeon with shittier movement? It's just a terrible fucking idea.

It's just a fun throwback to the first game. I don't think it's a terrible idea at all

nacimento

Every Blizzcon without a RTS Warcraft 4 announcement are the worst lizzcon ever, so technically true.
Worst Blizzcons ever from here to eternity

Well, what has Overwatch announced that everyone wasn't already largely expecting?

Was everything already expected? Sombra i can get, but

1.5 new maps
1v1
3v3
Single hero limit in Quick play
Random hero mode made permanent
Better brawls
Lootboxes a-plenty for playing in arcade

I know some of those had at least been discussed but that is a bunch of new stuff for me, not to mention this stuff goes live very soon

kiguel182

Lots of cool stuff announced for their games. I'm mostly into Overwatch and Hearthstone but I might even try HOTS again!

Syf

Banned
Lots of cool stuff announced for their games. I'm mostly into Overwatch and Hearthstone but I might even try HOTS again!
Would suggest trying it during the Genji skin promotion. Earn yourself a skin in Overwatch even if you don't end up liking HotS.

Artanisix

world of warcraft
PogChamp.png

overwatch
PogChamp.png

hearthstone
PogChamp.png

diablo
ResidentSleeper.png

Fou-Lu

No new games being announced and the poor showing for Diablo is what made it bad. I mean I am mostly into Blizzard for the classic Warcraft series and Diablo so... Not much for me. I am hoping the Diablo 1 'remake' will be good at least. Not going to pay to play the D2 Necromancer in D3.

Somewhat underwhelming. Only cared about Hearthstone and WoW, so they delivered. Was hoping for Diablo 4, but Diablo 1 theme dungeon isn't so bad. Would have preferred a remake, but whatever.
Getting three lootboxes for OW every week is a big deal. More motivation to play it now than before at least.

For people who already play and love these games, everything shown is outstanding. No one continues to support and evolve their games like Blizzard. That said, I feel like Blizzcon as a whole was a little disappointing. I was expecting at least one major announcement of some kind. Even if it was something like bringing Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm to consoles.

bounchfx

Thomas middleditch was enough for me to justify going

As for the rest, eh. Huge announcement would been cool but oh well

they don't have to be the worst to be disappointing.

In their 25 years of history, how many times have they faltered? Compared to how many times they've delivered? I realize with the distance between releases and the investment people make in their games, it's easy to be disheartened. But Blizzard does what Blizzard does, and if you still don't know their MO, that's a shortfall on your part.

Syf

Banned
they don't have to be the worst to be disappointing.
I just don't know why you're acting like people should expect bad things. Their two box releases this year were received extremely well, and the content for the other games looks good too. Only people who got let down really were Diablo fans because expectations were crazy high - and even then we still know they're developing a new game and it just wasn't ready to show yet. They have been remarkably consistent in delivering quality games in their history, unless you believe the alternate reality some GAF users live in.

V_Arnold

Current Blizz games have an INSANE amount of content added to them. It was a fine Blizzcon.
It was the Iron Man 3 of Blizzcons.

HowZatOZ

Banned
WoW alone was worth it for Blizzcon. I'm fucking pumped as a guild leader and even more keen aa a druid with what they are giving us. Argus is going to be mental.

One of the D3 devs stated they were working on what was presented this blizzcon since early last year. So basically nearly 2 years of developpement for the D1 dungeon, challenge rifts, and over two years of time for the necromancer and equipement armory.

Make you wonder just how bare-bones the skeleton crew is...

Skeletos311

I'm pretty happy with the new WoW stuff and the Diablo III Necromancer, game changes, and Diablo 1 remake look pretty cool too. I don't play any of their other games, so I don't care about the other stuff or esports. The opening ceremony did suck, but the WoW and Diablo III panels had cool shit.

Top Bottom