• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood and Gore as cosmetic DLC

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok guys, we get it, you hate DLC. How many threads do we have to have about it? This week it's blood and gore. Next week it'll be, I don't know, customizable HP bars or something, and we'll fire up the outrage machine all over again.

I guess that's what message boards are for, getting mad about things you have no control over, but it just gets old.

You're right. Nothing ever gets changed from consumer complaints. Developers and publishers operate in a hermetically sealed vacuum.

All these whining people... but I'll never whine because I'm down with how things operate in this industry- unlike these idiots.

Anyhow, I'm outta here. Gotta run off to the store to sell some used xbone games...

Dahaka

I prefer LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, *GLOING*, START so I can skip all fights and get to the victory screen.

Averon

Ok guys, we get it, you hate DLC. How many threads do we have to have about it? This week it's blood and gore. Next week it'll be, I don't know, customizable HP bars or something, and we'll fire up the outrage machine all over again.

I guess that's what message boards are for, getting mad about things you have no control over, but it just gets old.

Thank god we consumers didn't take your advise last Spring. If we had, we'd likely have an XBO with all its draconian policies intact launching in a few weeks.

tranciful

I tell you what, the sooner this micro transaction bullshit passes the industry by, the better.

baGjx0z.gif

GPsych

It's not a big deal.

This hyperbole is hyperbole.

"Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB"

Wait, is that actually true? Is DLC really not rated by the ESRB at all? So Nintendo could theoretically create a NSMBU DLC pack that is effectively Toad on Peach action and it would still be E?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, is that actually true? Is DLC really not rated by the ESRB at all? So Nintendo could theoretically create a NSMBU DLC pack that is effectively Toad on Peach action and it would still be E?

No, DLC is still rated.

The online interactions thing refers to online voice/text chat.

However, yes, you could sell AO rated DLC for a E rated game. That way you could sell it in stores and have people acquire the DLC on their own.

Lautaro

Ok, from the ESRB page:

Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

GPsych

No, DLC is still rated.

However, yes, you could sell AO rated DLC for a E rated game. That way you could sell it in stores and have people acquire the DLC on their own.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Thanks.

ArjanN

No, DLC is still rated.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's also done to get around having to have different versions for different regions like Germany which are stricter on violence.

Let's turn around the chessboard:

Aside from more revenue, why do you think CE made blood and gore DLC and not something included in the game?

First of all, what is Rome II's ESRB rating? My guess is that it's T for Teen. This is presumably their first demographic.

However, my assumption is that CE wanted to also appeal to gamers who like the viscerality of gore in their games by offering it at a premium. Note that this is only a cosmetic alteration, similar to hats in TF2. What this does is appeal to multiple demographics.

If this were done for a game with a reputation for M-ratings, such as Mortal Kombat, it would be financial suicide.

If this were free, however, things might be a little different and we might not have this debate at all.

1cmanny1

They have said we they do this so they can get around age ratings. While they should make all DLC free as an apology for the mess that is Rome 2, $3 for that isn't too bad. Compare it to something like Paradox, where the same amount will just get you pictures.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, weird.

I remember playing Carmageddon 2 back in the day, with zombies and green blood.

I learned that pedestrians/red blood were available somehow and actually called up support to ask them about it. They sent me a 3.5" floppy in the mail with the gore patch on it. I was a happy young man.

Nowadays, I couldn't really give a monkey's. All that fuss about reduced gore in European TLoU multiplayer... come on, people, their fucking arms and legs come off.

I can understand that it adds to the realism/immersion for some folk, and even adding it as free DLC is a nice option. But I'll be damned if I ever pay extra for more blood 'n' guts.

Okay, so this is a new one.

Creative Assembly have gone to the interesting length of offering blood and gore for Rome II as a 3 dollar piece of DLC.....Blood and Gore for 3 bucks

Is this what it's come to?? Really? We can't even have proper blood and gore in our video games as standard anymore? I tell you what, the sooner this micro transaction bullshit passes the industry by, the better.

You have to pay for it?! Wasn't it a free DLC with Shogun 2? I'm disappointed with Rome 2 at the moment, it's so slow and buggy, I'm going to come back to it though, as I have no doubts that they'll improve it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You have to pay for it?! Wasn't it a free DLC with Shogun 2? I'm disappointed with Rome 2 at the moment, it's so slow and buggy, I'm going to come back to it though, as I have no doubts that they'll improve it.
It cost a few dollars in Shogun 2 as well. Probably so kids can't just download it. And also because bloodlust pays the bills.

Eusis

I'd worry more if it weren't for the fact Creative Assembly seems to be the ONLY developer that does this. I'll wait if it seriously spreads, and if it does it's probably more to make a game safely T rated and sell to more people than to nickle and dime us for every little thing (that's just a useful side effect.)

Xater

It may have changed in recent years, but I remember reading about SoF2 censoring itself by making the enemies robots, and the blood 'oil'.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/05/01/soldier-of-fortune2-german-changes/

Can people please stop with this example? Stuff like that has basically not happened since that game. The German release was mocked and rated lower because of it as well.

Not available in Germany presumably.

Nope, totally available here.

nkarafo

Don't buy that shit.

In fact, you shouldn't buy the core game at all. Wait for a "special edition" with every DLC included and with reduced price. Demand more for your buck.

Should be free considering these Total War games pretty much all come out broken Day 1 and then we pay to test it for them. Yeah maybe this is unavoidable given the complexity of the game or whatever but something like free dlc would be an appropriate gesture to one of the most dedicated fanbases in gaming. You know, rather than trying to squeeze another $3 out of us for something that probably could have been included in the original release.

icy_eagle

Then don't bother checking those threads out? Seriously...

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Can we like.. ban DLC and exclusive preorder content experience ultra-boost shit
and go back to games ?!

ViciousDS

Banned
That means people swearing and slinging racial slurs at you over a headset in multiplayer.

DLC is also not rated..........Rocksmith was rated T for Teen but the Blink 182 pack with Damnit was uncensored.

Was fricken awesome to play it and hear "he fucked her" instead of it being censored.

RockBand could have done the same for all of its official DLC as well.

Almighty

Sweet i will pick it up when it hits 50 cents or so like I did for Shogun 2. Say what you will, but seeing people get their heads and hands chopped off while getting covered in blood was well worth the 50 cents I believe I paid for it in Shogun 2.

CloudWolf

DLC is also not rated..........Rocksmith was rated T for Teen but the Blink 182 pack with Damnit was uncensored.

Was fricken awesome to play it and hear "he fucked her" instead of it being censored.

RockBand could have done the same for all of its official DLC as well.

That simply isn't true. Ubisoft did release uncensored songs as DLC at first, but was quickly shot down by the ESRB. That's why the Rocksmih DLC songs with 'fuck' in the lyrics/music (blink-182, Jeremy) were recalled and re-released with the word censored out. Right now you can only download clean versions of those songs.

ViciousDS

Banned
That simply isn't true. Ubisoft did release uncensored songs as DLC at first, but was quickly shot down by the ESRB. That's why the Rocksmih DLC songs with 'fuck' in the lyrics/music (blink-182, Jeremy) were recalled and re-released with the word censored out. Right now you can only download clean versions of those songs.

really? OH better not delete my version then lol

I approve of this, because before they released the original Blood pack, DLC was not allowed to have content rated in excess of the original release. The original Blood pack was an experiment of sorts, and I'm glad to see it carried on, because that means developers have more freedom to create DLC without being as bound by the original release's rating and descriptors.

DryvBy

Really? Because I just bought it on the PC version and Jeremy was uncut.

Femto.

After they offered this as DLC on shogun 2 you would think CA was going implent it with Rome II as part of the whole package.

But nope, more nickel and dime shenanigans.
I still haven't touched this game since its horrendous launch.

What a shame.
I loved Rome 1.

Top Bottom