• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood Meridian is a masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

For those not familiar, Blood Meridian is a book by Cormac McCarthy, the author of No Country for Old Men and The Road, although it is somewhat less narratively driven (and much more dense of a read) than many of his later works.

The book is presented as a western, telling the story of an unnamed runaway youth and the brutal gang of American scalp-hunting mercenaries that he falls in with, but that story is really only a lens through which McCarthy explores the nature of man and war, the eternal and impersonal disposition of the universe, the cyclical ebb and flow of civilizations, and probably quite a few other themes that simply didn't speak as loudly to me as these ones did.

The first hint that this isn't simply a good ol' western adventure is in the bafflingly genius title. Blood Meridian. Blood - well, we all know what this is. Meridian - a circle of set longitude. So we can take the title as a reference to any one of at least three things: the actual geographical meridian below which blood flows liberally (Texas / Mexico in this case); the red band of sunset that characterizes cliched western iconography; or the image of a scalping, a band of blood forming around the dome of the skull.

While the protagonist of the book is ostensibly "the kid," the most domineering and central force of the story is certainly Judge Holden, the terrifying, originless, and infinitely educated giant of a man. I challenge you to find a character more unsettling than this:

He was bald as a stone and he had no trace of beard and he had no brows to his eyes nor lashes to them. He was close on to seven feet in height and he stood smoking a cigar even in this nomadic house of God...

Someone had reported the judge naked atop the walls, immense and pale in the revelations of lightning, striding the perimeter up there and declaiming in the old epic mode.

And as described by his own compatriots:

.... and he is as eitherhanded as a spider, he can write with both hands at a time and I've seen him to do it....

It's more than a simple physical terror that he evokes though... it's a philosophical one, for the Judge is the ultimate human - violent, reasoned, erudite, ever-thinking, uncaring for an environment he wishes nothing more than total ownership and knowledge of.

This detached depiction of humanity remains a theme throughout. We never learn of any character's thoughts or feelings. Men are nothing more than another part of the environment, their actions as deterministic as that of the earth's rotation. One of the many instances where this is reflected:

In the neuter austerity of that terrain all phenomena were bequeathed a strange equality and no one thing nor spider nor stone nor blade of grass could put forth claim to precedence. The very clarity of these articles belied their familiarity, for the eye predicates the whole on some feature or part and here was nothing more luminous than another and nothing more enshadowed and in the optical democracy of such landscapes all preference is made whimsical and a man and a rock become endowed with unguessed kinships.

Even a simple fire is rendered a point of grand reflection:

The flames sawed in the wind and the embers paled and deepened and paled and deepened like the bloodbeat of some living thing eviscerate upon the ground before them and they watched the fire which does contain within it something of men themselves inasmuch as they are less without it and are divided from their origins and are exiles. For each fire is all fires, and the first fire and the last ever to be.

(Also is this not literally the thesis of the entire Dark Souls trilogy?!)

There are just so many more moments I could continue about, so many themes which spoke to me, and yet so many more that others have discussed which I myself didn't even notice.... this book is just so ripe. But I'll spare everyone the excess blathering.

It's been a long time since I've read something that resonated with me this much. It really is a masterwork.

Feel free to discuss anything that spoke to you in the text if you've read it, and if you haven't, well.... what are you waiting for?

(As an aside, this is a fantastic listen in audiobook format. I primarily went through it this way and then re-read parts of the text that spoke to me. Be warned, as a text alone it has a... unique style that can be somewhat challenging.)

Erekiddo

I have this book and I must say, it's hard to read. His writing style is something I'm not used to.

It makes me feel like an idiot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One of my favorites. I imagine it was much easier to digest in audiobook format. The style is part of the charm but I can totally see it being an impediment to new readers.

Kieli

I have this book and I must say, it's hard to read. His writing style is something I'm not used to.

Each sentence is as long as a paragraph, and he doesn't use punctuation for his dialogue.

CHC

I would highly recommend listening to it on audiobook then. It's light on dialogue and little is lost this way (aside from the visual element of McCarthy's very sparse punctuation). The language is beautiful either way, but the audibook certainly helps elucidate who is speaking when, or the right time to pause for a moment and reflect on the last sentence you've read.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Blood Meridian is my favourite book of all time, read it multiple times, and I'm struggling way harder with Book of the New Sun.

With BM, I actually found it easier to read while stoned. It's got this feverish flow to it that just grabs you eventually if you sort of turn off your brain.

CHC

Blood Meridian is my favourite book of all time, read it multiple times, and I'm struggling way harder with Book of the New Sun.

Book the New Sun is hard because it's so deliberately obfuscated. Lots of extremely antiquated words which may as well be sci-fi jargon to any modern reader, and the whole story flows in such a strange, dream-like way it's very easy to forget how things got to where they are. Plus everything described literally, as a set of components, rather than a named whole. Example:
the "painting of a knight in the desert with a banner" in the beginning is probably just an old photo of an astronaut.

Read the book for 11th grade English and it became one of my favorites. I like how McCarthy declares war on punctuation, and it has one of my favorite sentences ever written:

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained weddingveil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or saber done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

Oh my god, said the sergeant.

Yes, that is one sentence.

Switch Back 9

Book the New Sun is hard because it's so deliberately obfuscated. Lots of extremely antiquated words which may as well be sci-fi jargon to any modern reader, and the whole story flows in such a strange, dream-like way it's very easy to forget how things got to where they are.

I've honestly never struggled with a book to the level I'm currently facing with BotNS. Shit is tough yo!

Read the book for 11th grade English and it became one of my favorites. I like how McCarthy declares war on punctuation, and it has one of my favorite sentences ever written:

Yes, that is one sentence.

Well, time for a reread hahaha. I just want to post fifty Holden quotes. His rant about birds is incredible and really sums up what's so shitty about human beings.

The freedom of birds is an insult to me. I'd have them all in zoos

Also, one of the most badass lines in the history of literature and very Ghengis Khan

“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”

CHC

I just want to post fifty Holden quotes. His rant about birds is incredible and really sums up what's so shitty about human beings.

Yup, he is THE human. I don't know... I mean I know that some people interpret him as supernatural, but really, what's it matter? The most terrifying to me was the cataloging of the bone, followed by its immediate destruction. Once he has knowledge of something, he has no more use for it. THE human.

Switch Back 9

Example:
the "painting of a knight in the desert with a banner" in the beginning is probably just an old photo of an astronaut.

I'm very much picking up on these things more as the book goes on but holy shit at the bolded. Mind blown

Switch Back 9

Yup, he is THE human. I don't know... I mean I know that some people interpret him as supernatural, but really, what's it matter? The most terrifying to me was the cataloging of the bone, followed by its immediate destruction. Once he has knowledge of something, he has no more use for it. THE human.

Yeah I've read theories about him being the devil and whatnot, which sort of works when you think about how many depictions of the devil are merely personified versions of humanity's worst qualities or the other way around. So in that respect his IS the devil, but also the manifestation of our species' terrible nature.

Fuck i love this book haha.

Yep, it's fucking brilliant. Although I'm a very occasional and flighty reader these days, and it was so good that it actually ruined my trying to start several other books in the months that followed my completing it. I just kept getting like twenty pages into things and putting them down, feeling like, man, nothing else is gonna cut it now, is it?

CHC

Yep, it's fucking brilliant. Although I'm a very occasional and flighty reader these days, and it was so good that it actually ruined my trying to start several other books in the months that followed my completing it. I just kept getting like twenty pages into things and putting them down, feeling like, man, nothing else is gonna cut it now, is it?

I'm there right now. Started The North Water by Ian McGuire and it's perfectly good, but it's like... this is just a story. I can get stories anywhere!

I picked it up on Gaf's recommendation (I think based on the news that James Franco was trying to make a movie of it) and I still haven't gotten through it. The writing is great and there's occasionally interesting stuff happening, but it's just a long, boring slog. What am I missing?

I picked it up on Gaf's recommendation (I think based on the news that James Franco was trying to make a movie of it) and I still haven't gotten through it. The writing is great and there's occasionally interesting stuff happening, but it's just a long, boring slog. What am I missing?

Boring is one of the last words I'd use to describe Blood Meridian.

teepo

hehe. I'm constantly having to use a dictionary as he uses a lot of anachronisms..

the best advice i received in reading the book is to forget the dictionary and just get lost in the text. otherwise you'll be stopping every other sentence -- multiple times nonetheless -- and you'll never get into the flow that the book demands from the reader.

and yes, it is one of the best books ever written. i need to re-read it

Dr. Serizawa

Neo Member
My college Lit class has a really fun professor who's favorite book happens to be Blood Meridian. I'd already read it and would talk to him about it when he announced it would be assigned to everyone to read, the catch being we were doing it like a little play. I'm 6"6', and white as hell, so I was the Judge. Most fun I've had in a class room. My best friend was the kid, and he has a strong southern accent. Perfect.

Huh. Maybe I picked up a different Blood Meridian
(i didn't)

I mean nobody can help you if you find it not interesting. Just uncertain how you could read something written in such an unconventional way and think "welp this is tedious". The writing on a technical level alone is the exact opposite of boring and keeps me glued to it. Content wise the raw depictions of violence and characterization of Holden keeps me, and likely others, reading. I get if the content itself isn't entertaining to someone, but to call it boring is quizzical.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
BM was so good that after reading about a third of it, I ordered a copy for my best friend. It hit me hard, especially The Judge. I mean, they're all bastards, but he's an otherworldly bastard. One of the great characters in fiction imo.

The ending stuck with me ever since the first time I read it. It's such a good book, I'm going to read it again because of this thread.

Also has one of the best opening paragraphs ever, in my opinion.

Switch Back 9

My college Lit class has a really fun professor who's favorite book happens to be Blood Meridian. I'd already read it and would talk to him about it when he announced it would be assigned to everyone to read, the catch being we were doing it like a little play. I'm 6"6', and white as hell, so I was the Judge. Most fun I've had in a class room. My best friend was the kid, and he has a strong southern accent. Perfect.

How did you guys act out that final scene? ;)

BeeDog

I've tried to get into this book two times, but the lack of punctuation and the advanced level grammar just messes up my brain, and I get fatigued. Which sucks since I really want to read this one.

Kieli

hehe. I'm constantly having to use a dictionary as he uses a lot of anachronisms..

I initially read it like that too, but eventually I stopped trying to understand every word and read it like a stream of consciousness.

Just let the beauty of the words and images flow over me. Only re-read if I absolutely have zero clue what's going on.

Switch Back 9

Looool.

I've tried to get into this book two times, but the lack of punctuation and the advanced level grammar just messes up my brain, and I get fatigued. Which sucks since I really want to read this one.
That's why I say turn the brain off. Just roll with it and eventually you just start flowing with the current rather than trying to swim in it.

When people call him supernatural I didn't take it as like magical or otherworldly but rather extraordinaire or awesome. He's a complete sociopath, lacking in empathy, and since he's not concerned for the well-being of others it allows him to excel in everything he does. I'm not sure if that makes him 'THE human', or the opposite of it, but I'd probably say he represents the evils of humanity without its good.

Edit: I recall reading an essay on Holden about how he represents human exceptionalism, or more precisely a play on Western/American Exceptionalism. His intelligence, his strength, his charisma are all powerful at the expense of others, in the same way we exploit lands or people. The fact he's a white man (going as far as being Albino) killing (mostly) Native Americans sort of adds further cadences to that. His somewhat featureless appearance (no eyebrows/hair) could also make him a stand in as a type of personification.

AoM

One of my favorite books is The Sound and the Fury. So this has a good deal of stream of consciousness?

Dr. Serizawa

Neo Member
One of my favorite books is The Sound and the Fury. So this has a good deal of stream of consciousness?

Not really, especially not in the Faulkner sense. He doesn't write in that fashion, he writes really long paragraphs but just throws out normal punctuation. It's less stream of conscious, more lack of stopping. Dialogue goes on sometimes with no clarification of who's speaking, and no quotation marks, which surprisingly never comes as a real problem due to how he writes dialect. I do recommend it, just don't think you're getting Virginia Woolf or Joyce, it's much more grounded.

Fat4all

Banned
How? It's so dense and bleak. I can't really imagine reading it again. It's dark apocalyptic poetry based on history. Terrifying.

I mean, that's pretty much everything by Cormac McCarthy but I love his writing style a lot, and his narratives.

I have a couple of his book in audiobook form, and listen to them every year or so, or whenever I take a roadtrip.

I would call it one of my favorite books if reading it wasn't such an effort (because of the vocabulary). It's one of those contradictory book experiences where you are having fun 'cause it's so well written, while at the same time working hard on it and getting tired quickly.

Other than that 'problem', it's pretty impressive. I was thinking of rereading it. Maybe after rewatching No Country for Old Men, which would put me in the proper mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom