• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood Meridian is a masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Serizawa

Neo Member
Is All the Pretty Horses as challenging to read as this? I read The Road and found the writing style interesting, but with this book my eyes just glaze over halfway through some of the long sentences.

No, I think All the Pretty Horses is easier. Not to say it's worse, it's still fantastic. It takes place in modern day, so he tones back on archaic words, and dialogue feels a lot more concise but if I remember correctly there's more of it than in Blood Meridian.

Edit: Modern as in 1950s, not 1850s.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
No, I think All the Pretty Horses is easier. Not to say it's worse, it's still fantastic. It takes place in modern day, so he tones back on archaic words, and dialogue feels a lot more concise but if I remember correctly there's more of it than in Blood Meridian.

Edit: Modern as in 1950s, not 1850s.

Exactly this.

All the Pretty Horses is my second favorite McCarthy book, after Blood Meridian. It's followed by The Road and then Suttree.

I intend to read The Crossing next.

Lime

One of my favorite books of all time along with The Road. Not sure which of those two I prefer, but they are both masterpieces in my eyes.

Sagroth

The book is incredible but hard to read sometimes due to the imagery. That said, the Judge is one of the greatest literary villains ever.

Also, did you know that it's James Franco's favorite novel, and that he tried to make a movie from it? You can see 20+ minutes of terrible test footage here.

Radnom

I liked parts of it, the characters and the story. I wasn't a fan of the way it was written, though. I like punctuation.

Monocle

Great OP, brilliant book. I'll read it again soon.

And yeah, from what I've heard, the audiobook is fantastic. Excellent depiction of the Judge.

It's my most admired book but hearing it's someone's favorite should elicit some eyebrow raising. Shit is fucked up, yo.
The prose alone justifies the choice. I really doubt people hold the book in high regard only for the violent subject matter. There are much, much more accessible stories about violence than Blood Meridian.

How? It's so dense and bleak. I can't really imagine reading it again. It's dark apocalyptic poetry based on history. Terrifying.

Yeah this is almost how I feel. Absolutely loved it but it is so dark and unrelentingly violent I needed a break after reading it. Maybe I could read it again but would really need to be in the right state of mind since I would know what I'm getting into.

Ive also read the road and child of God. Both great especially tge road but not quite as great.

Does anyone have the link to the ending discussion thread?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sometimes there is no better way to spend a rainy week night.

Legitimately. I can practically go to a random chapter and put on Plan Mill's Pine and I am good when the mood strikes. Grey, rainy? Odds of said mood increases drastically. :)

Azar

I took a class in college where we studied only two authors: Cormac McCarthy and Joe Brown. Southern literature, taught by an older southern gentleman in his last semester of teaching, who railed against WASPs with regularity and planned to retire in the woods somewhere the government couldn't find him. Anyway, I wrote an essay about Judge Holden that I haven't looked back on in awhile but I think it was pretty decent. Blood Meridian fans might get a kick out of it.

Apt101

It has been my favorite novel for as long as I can remember, and the only one I have re-read more than two times. Good stuff.

Much like Lord of the Rings mythos, I could discuss shit about The Kid or Judge Holden all day.

The book is incredible but hard to read sometimes due to the imagery. That said, the Judge is one of the greatest literary villains ever.

Also, did you know that it's James Franco's favorite novel, and that he tried to make a movie from it? You can see 20+ minutes of terrible test footage here.

This is why I dislike Franco. It's like he took a look at the Time's top 100 Novels list and decided that he was the right guy to turn them into films.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Reading about the "real" Holden in My Confession is pretty interesting. He didnt alter much.

Osahi

After reading the Road I bought everything of McCarthy I could, but this was - for a non-native Englisch speaker - impossible to conquer (as were some other novels)

They had a new Dutch translation recently, so I should grab that one and give it a new go...

SpaceHorror

Draft

Weird as it is, whenever I picture the Judge in my head it's a cross between Vincent D'onofrio and this guy:

62ada167-abb9-4f5f-85e4-6e80e96737b4.gif

Anduron

One of my favorite books but I've never actually finished it. By 4/5ths in I'm so mentally and emotionally drained I skim to the end.

Love Blood Meridian but I think I'm partial to Suttree. Believe it was also Roger Ebert's favorite of McCarthy's books. Outer Dark and Child of God are also great. Can't go wrong with the Border Trilogy either.

CPCunha

The Judge is indeed an amazing character and he stuck with me since the first time i read the book. Everyone around him so tense, in a constant struggle between being mesmerized by this creature, or flat out scared by it...

...everyone except Glanton. He was the one i was really scared of... i guess when a character (Holden in this case) is presented so upfront with such presence, it is expected that the cast reverberates whenever he is around, it is only normal. But having one that meets the obvious monster at eye level and don't even flinch, that's scary right there. Dude was DARK AS PIT.

Cormac taught me the most about the Americana Writing (i'm not from the US of A, sorry about my butchering of the language) and everything i've read conjures up vivid imagery of a place and time i've never been to. Such an amazing writer.

EDIT: This is awesome so i need to share it with OP. Usually i write tons of notes when reading but in fear of damaging the books, i take 'em all of when i'm done with it. After reading the post i went to my fav. edition of Blood Meridian and i had only one still there.

mojc.jpg

Lo and behold, this was the passage it was pointing to...

nojc.jpg

Congrats OP, you have good taste.

I have read Blood Meridian, The Road, and Child of God. All great though I would probably rank them in the order listed. Any advice or recommendations on which of his books I should read next?

CHC

The Judge is indeed an amazing character and he stuck with me since the first time i read the book. Everyone around him so tense, in a constant struggle between being mesmerized by this creature, or flat out scared by it...

...everyone except Glanton. He was the one i was really scared of... i guess when a character (Holden in this case) is presented so upfront with such presence, it is expected that the cast reverberates whenever he is around, it is only normal. But having one that meets the obvious monster at eye level and don't even flinch, that's scary right there. Dude was DARK AS PIT.

Cormac taught me the most about the Americana Writing (i'm not from the US of A, sorry about my butchering of the language) and everything i've read conjures up vivid imagery of a place and time i've never been to. Such an amazing writer.

EDIT: This is awesome so i need to share it with OP. Usually i write tons of notes when reading but in fear of damaging the books, i take 'em all of when i'm done with it. After reading the post i went to my fav. edition of Blood Meridian and i had only one still there.

mojc.jpg

Lo and behold, this was the passage it was pointing to...

nojc.jpg

Congrats OP, you have good taste.

Ha! What are the odds? There are just so many incredible passages, but that one was indeed especially memorable I suppose.

yonder

One of my absolute favourites. I'm just about to write my MA thesis in English and was so close to writing about Blood Meridian, and now this thread is giving me second thoughts..

CHC

One of my absolute favourites. I'm just about to write my MA thesis in English and was so close to writing about Blood Meridian, and now this thread is giving me second thoughts..

I'm not even an English major and I feel like I could write a thesis on this book just out of enthusiasm alone haha..... It has what is, to me, the perfect kind of depth: it works as a straightforward story and doesn't wear its influences or allusions on its sleeve, but almost every element of the book has some hidden meaning if you know what to look for.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Reading about the "real" Holden in My Confession is pretty interesting. He didnt alter much.

I thought there was very little known about the actual Judge Holden? Like we know he existed but there was little real information about him.

Also as someone else mentioned Glanton was equally as disturbing as Holden in that he seemed unaffected by anything that went on around him. At least the Judge showed a range of emotions, Glaton had a heart of fucking stone.

Glanton is really under talked about in appreciation of the book. Two scenes in particular stand out to me and I may be misremembering: when they practice with pistols before purchasing them and when they jump the antagonistic bar regulars.

I actually wanted him to snap out of his antics at the river bivouac area but I guess that was not intended.

Cyan

Banned
A pretty intense read. Don't bother with a dictionary, just accept the confusion as part of an impression of the world he throws you into. It's a brutal, bleak, and challenging meditation on the role of violence that just happens to be set in a Western theme. A friend of mine likened it to reading the Bible, and he isn't wrong - it's like a child turning these characters around in his hand to examine them in the light before idly crushing them into a paste. Absolutely worth the struggle of overcoming the somewhat difficult prose.

This. Let the prose carry you along rather than trying to master it.

Read the book for 11th grade English and it became one of my favorites. I like how McCarthy declares war on punctuation, and it has one of my favorite sentences ever written:

Yes, that is one sentence.
This sentence is one of my strongest memories of the book, funny enough.
I think my personal favorite sentence has to be that one sentence in Borges's The Aleph. Certainly not better written than McCarthy's, but struck me more deeply.

Borges and McCarthy operate on entire planes of existence beyond the mere trappings of mortals such as we. I can recall so much of their work because just about all of it is worth reading once if not obsessing over for years.

A lot of shared themes and posed questions between the two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom