• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood, Sweat, And Pixels Thread: Print Sneak Fuck

bkv13tq7zr9h5hpolibnrxu5q.jpg

Developing video games—hero's journey or fool's errand? The creative and technical logistics that go into building today's hottest games can be more harrowing and complex than the games themselves, often seeming like an endless maze or a bottomless abyss. In Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, Jason Schreier takes readers on a fascinating odyssey behind the scenes of video game development, where the creator may be a team of 600 overworked underdogs or a solitary geek genius. Exploring the artistic challenges, technical impossibilities, marketplace demands, and Donkey Kong-sized monkey wrenches thrown into the works by corporate, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels reveals how bringing any game to completion is more than Sisyphean—it's nothing short of miraculous.

Taking some of the most popular, bestselling recent games, Schreier immerses readers in the hellfire of the development process, whether it's RPG studio Bioware's challenge to beat an impossible schedule and overcome countless technical nightmares to build Dragon Age: Inquisition; indie developer Eric Barone's single-handed efforts to grow country-life RPG Stardew Valley from one man's vision into a multi-million-dollar franchise; or Bungie spinning out from their corporate overlords at Microsoft to create Destiny, a brand new universe that they hoped would become as iconic as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings—even as it nearly ripped their studio apart.

Documenting the round-the-clock crunches, buggy-eyed burnout, and last-minute saves, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels is a journey through development hell—and ultimately a tribute to the dedicated diehards and unsung heroes who scale mountains of obstacles in their quests to create the best games imaginable.

Facts:
Release Date: September 5th
Pages: 304
Physical Price: 15.99 USD 19.99 CAD
Digital Price: 10.99 USD
Audio Book: 8 hours and 1 minute and voiced by Ray Chase of Final Fantasy XV fame
Games covered:

Quotes about the book:
”Making video games is one of the most transformative, exciting things I've done in my two decades as a freelance writer. Making video games is also an excruciating journey into Hellmouth itself. Jason Schreier's wonderful book captures both the excitement and the hell. Here, at long last, is a gripping, intelligent glimpse behind a thick (and needlessly secretive) creative curtain."
—Tom Bissell, author of Extra Lives and Apostle, and writer on the Gears of War, Uncharted, and Battlefield franchises

”So many of the cultural problems both within the game industry and among fans come down to a lack of realistic public understanding of the tribulations of development. Jason opens a crucial door into an abnormally secretive industry, in the brave hope of teaching us a little more about its flammable alchemy."
—Leigh Alexander, author and tech journalist

”A meticulously researched, well-written, and painful at times account of many developers' and studios' highs and lows. May need to make it required reading for the developers at my studio."
—Cliff Bleszinski, creator of Gears of War and founder of Boss Key Productions

”The stories in this book make for a fascinating and remarkably complete pantheon of just about every common despair and every joy related to game development."
—Rami Ismail, cofounder of Vlambeer and developer of Nuclear Throne

”Jason Schreier brilliantly exposes the truth about how video games are made. Brutal, honest, yet ultimately uplifting; I've been gaming for thirty years, yet I was surprised by every page. Turns out what I didn't know about my favorite hobby could fill a book. This book! Can't recommend it enough to any serious fan of this generation's greatest new art form."
—Adam Conover, executive producer and host of truTV's Adam Ruins Everything

Forbes review: The Brutality And Beauty Of Building Video Games

Exclusively for NeoGAF, the first paragraphs from the book:
Say you want to make a video game. You've got this killer idea—it's about a mustachioed plumber who has to rescue his princess girlfriend from a giant fire-breathing turtle—and you've convinced an investor to give you a few million dollars to make it happen. Now what?

Well, first you need to figure out the exact number of people you can afford to hire. Then you need to call up some artists, some designers, some programmers. You'll need a producer to keep things running smoothly, and a sound department to make sure the game has, you know, sounds. Can't forget to hire some quality-assurance testers to check for bugs. And a marketing savant—how else will everyone know about your future best seller? Once you're all staffed up, you'll need to make a strict schedule that determines how much time your team will spend on each part of the game. If all goes well, you'll develop a demo for E3 in six months, then be ”feature complete" by the end of the year.

After a few months, things seem to be going well. Your artists are drawing all sorts of cool enemies for your plumber to fight: ghosts, mushrooms, that sort of thing. The designers have sketched out some clever levels that will guide the player through raging volcanoes and fetid swamps. The programmers just figured out a fancy rendering trick that will make the dungeons look more realistic than anything you've seen before. Everyone is motivated, the game is making progress, and you're handing out stock options like they're free newspapers in the subway.

One morning, you get a call from your producer. Turns out that rendering trick is useless, because it knocks your game's frame rate down to ten frames per second. The playtesters keep getting stuck on the volcano level, and your marketing guy is grumbling about how that might affect your Metacritic score. Your art director insists on micromanaging the animators, which is driving them crazy. Your E3 demo is due in two weeks, and you know there's no way you can get it done in less than four. And suddenly the investors are asking if maybe you can slash that $10 million budget down to $8 million, even if you have to let go of a few people to make it happen.

A week ago, you were fantasizing about the speech you'd make at The Game Awards after taking home Game of the Year. Now you're wondering if you'll ever even finish.

Amazon US link.

Looks really good. Will have to wait until next month to pick it up (EU) but it's the type of book I'd love to see more of, anyone have recommendations if there are some?

Cubas

Going to buy it later today and hope to read it during the weekend. I love Jason's work at Kotaku and can't wait to read this book.

Bought it on the Harper Collins website thinking I would get a epub file. Now I see I have to download a separate app and read the book on my computer. Feel like and idiot for buying it that way so now I am just going to buy it again so I can actually read it on my ereader.

Don't feel too bad about supporting Jason this way either. We need more stories like this.

Kareha

Just bought it from Amazon UK for my Kindle, good deal for £5.49 :) Now I just have to wait till after work to read it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So somehow I got this for $5.99 through Google Play, digital version

They're doing a -$5 off promotion on purchasing a Best Seller or books over $5-10

So I got it through that

Don't know if the promotion is for everyone or account based, look into it!

Sorry Jason, I got the book, but at least you got a purchase out of me!

Bought Jason's book and Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe Anthology for roughly $10

zeox

just ordered the paperback version. Sucks that us EU folks have to wait until october to get it though :/

Cronen

Have the paperback pre-ordered, but the UK release has been pushed back to October. May cancel it and go for the Kindle version instead.

Catvoca

Banned
Is the digital version out in EU this month or is it pushed to October like the paperback?

Edit:Nevermind, just bought it off Amazon UK. Looking forward to digging into it! It was only £5.63 too.

Only had time to get through the intro before work today, but can't wait to dive in later tonight.

Congrats on everything Jason!

I read Jason’s book last week and I thought it was great. I’ll be honest: going into it I wasn’t really expecting anything new or mind-blowing, but I have come to appreciate Jason’s reporting over the years so I figured I’d give it a shot anyway. I’m really glad I did.

First of all, this is almost all new stuff. There are bits and pieces here that could be picked up from other sources, including Jason’s own articles for Kotaku, but there is absolutely enough here to warrant a brand new work. As I was reading through certain parts of it, I was kinda shocked at a few of the details, to the point that I thought, “This is a huge piece of the puzzle, surely this must have been covered elsewhere.” But I Googled the best I could and came up empty. For example, there is a lot in the chapter on Star Wars 1313 about what George Lucas wanted out of the game. Other than a very brief article on Kotaku from a few years ago by Jason himself, some of those details have never been heard before, and they can be stunning at times.

Each of the 10 stories are great on their own merit, but reading them all together really gives you a sense of how intense and grueling the process of game development can be, even for the smaller indie stuff covered like Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley. Anyone who’s been paying attention to press coverage for the past few years will understand games are hard to make, but this book really puts in perspective just how much devs are willing (and sometimes required) to sacrifice.

Some of the stories are stronger than others, but they’re all good. I think each person will find one that resonates with them specifically. And they can be read in any order, with or without the others, so you can jump around without any problem. My favorite story personally was the one about Destiny, and I thought it really helped shed light on why that first game launched the way it did. That story in particular expressed a sense of desperation unlike the others. And there’s plenty of new stuff in that chapter as well, despite the immense amount of coverage Destiny has gotten over the years.

My favorite parts of the book, present in almost every chapter, were the stories about relationships between developers and publishers. Understanding the inception of a game and devs pitching those ideas to publishers was a brand new concept to me, and seeing how that process works was fascinating. I think it will forever change the way I think about games being made. Just seeing how much work goes into a game before the devs really even know what they’re making is eye-opening.

Overall the book gets a hearty recommendation from me. If you’re reading this thread it means you probably care about games more than most people, and you will get a lot out of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. But beyond that, it’s written in a style that is accessible to pretty much everyone, even if you’re not a huge game fan.

I look forward to experiencing the book again as an audiobook in the near future, and I welcome any future in-depth works like this from Jason.

Read through the Destiny Chapter a while ago and while it's interesting to have all of those tidbits and whatnot we've heard in one fashion or another throughout the years concerning Destiny's development struggles in one tidy place there just isn't a whole lot of info there that wasn't already rumored, known, suggested, etc. which is what I expected.

Still a fun read, I'll check out some of the other games (Diablo 3 in particular) later on.

peakish

Read the intro this morning, it all seems very interesting. Gotta appreciate that Jason was able to put it together, it seems like a huge project.

Cruxist

Pumped for this. Cannot wait to read the chapter on Halo Wars. I'm sure it will be bittersweet. Congrats, Jason!

It's almost 9:30 and Amazon already delivered my copy. This might be a new record for earliest Amazon deliveries. Can't wait to dive into this. Congrats, Jason!

Since I had to tap into my gaming budget this month I got this instead of Destiny 2.

Not that it's a bad thing though! Far from it. Always have loved to read stories on game development, like the post mortem series in Gamasutra.

I'm getting a new, bigger phone tomorrow and as I'm a fan of Jason's work and opinions I think I will splash out on this. Happy to support him as he does good work.

jschreier

Sadly, the UK physical version is on a boat and indeed won't be available until next month. Sorry, guys. Out of my hands.

BiggNife

Probably going to buy this today. I've enjoyed the excerpts I've read and Schreier's investigative/behind-the-scenes pieces are always fascinating.

SomTervo

Congrats Jason. Excited to read it.

Also hugely excited about changing the language surrounding and about game dev. This book looks like a big step in the right direction.

Sadly, the UK physical version is on a boat and indeed won't be available until next month. Sorry, guys. Out of my hands.

On a cboat?

Ralemont

not me
Picked up the audio book. Always wanted to hear more about DAI's technical troubles since they had to cut so much of the world content out, leaving what's left feel empty compared to the story/characters/main missions.

Top Bottom