• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood, Sweat, And Pixels Thread: Print Sneak Fuck

jschreier

I finally finished the book this afternoon, and I have to say it was a fantastic book to read. I really felt I learned a lot about the development of each game, including ones I already knew a bit about. Every game's story was interesting to read about. I couldn't put the book down until I finished a games story. And it was a real mix of excitement when you read how the hard work led to great success for some, but also hearing all the hardships, and the struggles and sacrifices was at times quite sad. We always hear about crunch and all those tough last few months of development and such, but I really think this book did a great job talking about how tough it can be. Not to mention the stories of cancelations. Finishing the book off with Star Wars 1313 was a real bummer but Im glad we could read about what happened.

And best of all, this book is the type of journalism I love to read and want to see so much more in the video game news media. I love these stories so much. Getting down to how the games were made, the triumphs and tragedies of development. The ups and downs. The real documentary stories. These are what interest me so much. This is what I want to see more of, these stories are what I want to read more of. Not the snarky boring pieces I run into all the time on the net. Its well written and great works like this that truly shine. Thankfully I know theres a lot of great people writing these type of stories a lot, but Jason is certainly the best here.

Jason, thank you so much for writing this book. It was a pleasure to read. A job well done. And I look forward to your next book whenever it comes.
Cheers!!

Dynasty

UK here, just got the book because for some reason the physical copies got delayed but looking forward to finally reading it.

Finished the book last night.

Overall, quite an excellent read. We need more of these kinds of stories exposed. It really illuminated how difficult it can truly be to ship a game. At the same time, finally shipping a successful game must be one of the best feelings in the world.

It definitely should be required reading for anyone with a major interest in the industry (e.g. all of NeoGAF), and I'd recommend it to almost anyone who plays games in general.

As already mentioned, the Diablo III chapter fell a little flat, probably because I was already very knowledgeable about its development (I created the original NeoGAF |OT|) and it glossed over some stuff. Not having access to Jay Wilson certainly didn't help I'm sure.

My favorite chapter was probably the one about Stardew Valley - it really resonated with me for several reasons.

And wrapping the book with Star Wars 1313 was sort of heartbreaking, however it looks like the still unannounced Visceral-developed game may end up being sort of similar mechanically in the end?

Could write some thoughts on each chapter, but that would take too long! Very engaging read though, all the way through.

Finally received this here in Portugal. Can't wait to read it! Jason really elevates gaming journalism.

And wrapping the book with Star Wars 1313 was sort of heartbreaking, however it looks like the still unannounced Visceral-developed game may end up being sort of similar mechanically in the end?

You can say that again :( Actually, the recent vibe makes me really eager to devour the book!

Top Bottom