• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

tamminen

Phew okay. Im done with almost everything. Missing some endings for plat and missing something on the DLC. Gotta figure out how to open the cells after Ludwig. What a ride, 10/10 all the way through except for the chalice dungeons. Theyre just boring.

So what do you guys think of the burial blade? I love the way it looks, but it's a bit too slow for me.

Also, is there a faster and more efficient method to killing multiple enemies? Separating them with pebbles is usually what I do, but maybe there's a better way.

Leezard

Phew okay. Im done with almost everything. Missing some endings for plat and missing something on the DLC. Gotta figure out how to open the cells after Ludwig. What a ride, 10/10 all the way through except for the chalice dungeons. Theyre just boring.

If you want hints: you find the key to the cells after Ludwig in
the Research Hall

Here's how you find it more explicitly:
Jump out of one of the shortcut elevators while it goes up/down

Toxi

Banned
So what do you guys think of the burial blade? I love the way it looks, but it's a bit too slow for me.

Also, is there a faster and more efficient method to killing multiple enemies? Separating them with pebbles is usually what I do, but maybe there's a better way.
Depends on the enemies. Are they easy to stagger fodder? Just be aggressive and hit all of them at once, moving in and out to bait whiffs. Not easy to constantly stagger? Kite them, or abuse the invincibility frames of a visceral attack.

Pixieking

Banned

What level/weapon you using? The Kirkhammer 2-handed R1 attack is great, since you can take advantage of enemies climbing on top of each other to hit 2 or 3 at the same time. The Threaded Cane whip has the same kind of "multi hit" capability, too (I used it to dispatch the 2 Fishmen Giants in the DLC).

Well, there is a weapon called Burial Blade where its transformed R1 can deal several groups of enemies, evade and keep kitting them until they die. Burial Blade take its time to kill but is useful to deal crowd control , bad at single enemies and have a safe distance to attack.

If you face a single enemy use its normal mode to attack him or if you want a safe Vis you charge transformed R2 and enjoy your free, safe Vis

Jombie

Do you enjoy being one shot by most attacks even at say BL 300?

I was around 200. Was the hardest fight in the series for me, including challenge stuff.

I've been itching to start another playthrough. I got burned out about a year ago after finishing all the dungeons and farming for arcane gems.. the damage I could do with the holy moonlight sword.

Manu

So, is the password matching system broken or something? I'm trying to coop with a friend, she's on NG and I'm on NG+, but I thought you could still do it if you're using a password? We've waited almost 20 minutes at times, unsuccessfully. This is so irritating.

So, is the password matching system broken or something? I'm trying to coop with a friend, she's on NG and I'm on NG+, but I thought you could still do it if you're using a password? We've waited almost 20 minutes at times, unsuccessfully. This is so irritating.

You can coop without any restrictions, but I usually put the network settings to local, worldwide if both of you live in different states.

You can use the silencer pistol to restart the summon search without stopping the summon call

Manu

You can coop without any restrictions, but I usually put the network settings to local, worldwide if both of you live in different states.

You can use the silencer pistol to restart the summon call

Yeah, we've tried all of that and it still doesn't work.

Fuck, I'm so frustrated.

tamminen

I was around 200. Was the hardest fight in the series for me, including challenge stuff.

I've been itching to start another playthrough. I got burned out about a year ago after finishing all the dungeons and farming for arcane gems.. the damage I could do with the holy moonlight sword.

I was so excited to equip the HMS once I got it but its just not doing the damage I kind of expected. Maybe it requires very spesific gems to work but at 50 arcane I just cant get anything done with it. :( Still rocking with Ludwigs sword and Tonitrus.

Milijango

I was so excited to equip the HMS once I got it but its just not doing the damage I kind of expected. Maybe it requires very spesific gems to work but at 50 arcane I just cant get anything done with it. :( Still rocking with Ludwigs sword and Tonitrus.

The HMS' main selling point is its fantastic R2 attacks in either form. The 1-handed move is easy to spam, and the 2-handed one hits for massive damage when you connect with both the blade and the wave attack, which isn't hard. The rest of its attacks just aren't that powerful.

It certainly helps to have good nourishing gems which are a bit tricky to get.

Ydelnae

Are you supposed to clear all stages the first time you explore them? I suppose that for someone with experience in the combat it might be feasible, but with this being the first Souls game I'm playing seriously, I'm having problems beating the NPC hunters.

For example in Old Yharnam, I tried beating that hunter that keeps shooting you from the top of the tower and I always end up dead. Should I just revisit when I'm stronger?

Are you supposed to clear all stages the first time you explore them? I suppose that for someone with experience in the combat it might be feasible, but with this being the first Souls game I'm playing seriously, I'm having problems beating the NPC hunters.

For example in Old Yharnam, I tried beating that hunter that keeps shooting you from the top of the tower and I always end up dead. Should I just revisit when I'm stronger?
Yes you can come back to him. He can be non-hostile depending on other factors. He can also be cheesed in to falling off by shooting from afar him or just hitting him so he falls to his death. To get his loot quite/reload. (Try this old Souls trick... NPCs hate it!)

Last night I finally beat Ludwig at BLvl 4 with no pellet and no HUD. First phase I got down pretty well but that second phase with the delayed sword swing killed me every.single.time. It was frustrating but in a fun way since it's a great and fun fight. Research Hall and its patients are not being kind to me at all!

This game is so great that I still play it when I have new, fun games to play.

tamminen

Last night I finally beat Ludwig at BLvl 4 with no pellet and no HUD. First phase I got down pretty well but that second phase with the delayed sword swing killed me every.single.time. It was frustrating but in a fun way since it's a great and fun fight. Research Hall and its patients are not being kind to me at all!

This game is so great that I still play it when I have new, fun games to play.

Thats crazy. You folks are taking this too far lol.

Well, I just killed the stupid dog in defiled chalice dungeon! It only took me 50 tries and I had to level up a Saw Cleaver cause none of my weapons really worked on him the way I fought him. I dont even know if I wanna do the 5th floor after that. I might just power level my character to crazy stats just to get the platinum.

Shmuppers

TIL that if you're in the visceral attack animation when your frenzy meter fills up, you won't take the damage. Useful for gem farming.

Thats crazy. You folks are taking this too far lol.

Well, I just killed the stupid dog in defiled chalice dungeon! It only took me 50 tries and I had to level up a Saw Cleaver cause none of my weapons really worked on him the way I fought him. I dont even know if I wanna do the 5th floor after that. I might just power level my character to crazy stats just to get the platinum.

Nice job on Defiled Puppy! He is pain in the ass for sure. I had to switch weapons with him and a few other chalice bosses in order to win so do what works for you.

I'm not feeling especially confident with the other DLC bosses in this run so I'm not sure how to proceed. Hell, Logarius and Ebrietas are giving me trouble too. I guess I need more practice with them.

You are not supposed to kill him.

Zackat

so I booted up this game for this first time since I beat the DLC.

I am rusty and forgot where a lot of things are lol. Rolled a new run to start out fresh. I love this damn game.

tamminen

Man these chalice dungeons are BORING. I explored them all till I managed to open the one with Queen and now Im just rushing through it finding the levers as quickly as I can. I cant take these anymore, its the same over and over and over hnnnnnngh.

Man these chalice dungeons are BORING. I explored them all till I managed to open the one with Queen and now Im just rushing through it finding the levers as quickly as I can. I cant take these anymore, its the same over and over and over hnnnnnngh.

At one point in every one's Bloodborne playthrough the Chalice Dungeons become the worst thing about this game. Literally the worst. Dark Souls 2 level. However after you finally Platinum the game they kind of become fun and interesting! It's unexplainable, lol.

---

Lucky for you the last dungeon has super short treks to the levers. The bosses, though. Pain in the ass.

Dynedom

God the Bowblade absolutely wrecks
Amygdala
, even in the defiled chalice. The latter still took me about 4 tries but man.

Jumping back in with a Skill/BT build is the best thing. I love Bloodborne.

edit: Hrm, I guess we don't need to spoiler tag boss names anymore?

Finally at the end guys, beat the DLC area and moving into the last areas/bosses. At
wetnurse
boss now. Gonna go run around looking for twinblood stones to upgrade the whirligig saw since I like it then go on to the end :)

Definitely a 10/10 game now that I found the groove.

God the Bowblade absolutely wrecks
Amygdala
, even in the defiled chalice. The latter still took me about 4 tries but man.

Jumping back in with a Skill/BT build is the best thing. I love Bloodborne.

edit: Hrm, I guess we don't need to spoiler tag boss names anymore?

You better put spoilers for newcomers

what are the best kinds of gems to use with the whirligig saw? i'm having a little trouble with ludwig and i heard the l2 is good for his second phase, so i'm going to upgrade it to +9 and give it a shot.

Milijango

what are the best kinds of gems to use with the whirligig saw? i'm having a little trouble with ludwig and i heard the l2 is good for his second phase, so i'm going to upgrade it to +9 and give it a shot.

Just use the best % physical damage gems you have, like all non-arcane weapons (generally speaking).

Just use the best % physical damage gems you have, like all non-arcane weapons (generally speaking).

i've always been too lazy to figure out exactly how the physical/blunt/thrust stuff works for the main non-elemental weapons. i've just been using the saw cleaver as my main weapon, so i just always use the best physical attack gems i have, since i know every one of the cleaver's attacks are physical. but what about weapons that have mostly thrust or blunt attacks? are physical gems still going to have the same impact on them? it's kind of confusing how it shows the stats, and i've never played a souls game.

Milijango

i've always been too lazy to figure out exactly how the physical/blunt/thrust stuff works for the main non-elemental weapons. i've just been using the saw cleaver as my main weapon, so i just always use the best physical attack gems i have, since i know every one of the cleaver's attacks are physical. but what about weapons that have mostly thrust or blunt attacks? are physical gems still going to have the same impact on them? it's kind of confusing how it shows the stats, and i've never played a souls game.

Physical gems affect blunt and thrust damage, but the inverse is not true. As such, you can basically ignore blunt gems and thrust gems entirely. They have a higher damage ceiling (+32% instead of +27.2%), so there are times when they might be useful, but the game doesn't expect that level of optimisation from you.

The Beast Cutter has nothing but blunt attacks, and the Church Pick uses 95% thrust attacks. Every other non-elemental weapon has enough variety in its damage types that it's probably most effective with a physical gem.

BHK3

Banned
Fuck everything about the forbidden forest and fuck everything after that. The level felt like it was never going to end, so many nooks and crannies and the no AA and chromatic abberation was making my eyes go cross trying to dig through everything to not miss it. Turns out I missed two elevator exits and now there's a 3rd because I missed a single hole in the ground...

Then finally when you get to
bergenwytz or however the fuck you spell anything from this game
it's super duper short, with a boss that you better not die on because you're never getting blood echoes back, because they simply disappear! Wasn't too worried about going in with 70k but then I come back and they are just GONE. Beat that boss and now
the blood moons out
, that's cool. Nows a great time to backtrack I say and see if I missed anything early. I go to
Father Gas' daughter, it's some dude now! Gives me a random item that I google because the game will never tell you anything, now I'm in a college, now I'm in hell!
. I was having loads of fun till the forest and now everything feels like Dark Souls 1 after Anor Londo, random aimless unconnected exploring. Quit after coming across an enemy that frenzies you through sheer power of bullshit through the air and ignores your attacks as per norm. I need a break. I was enjoying the chalice dungeons as a breather until they put it 1 shot fireball mages...

Pixieking

Banned
Fuck everything about the forbidden forest and fuck everything after that. The level felt like it was never going to end, so many nooks and crannies and the no AA and chromatic abberation was making my eyes go cross trying to dig through everything to not miss it. Turns out I missed two elevator exits and now there's a 3rd because I missed a single hole in the ground...

Then finally when you get to
bergenwytz or however the fuck you spell anything from this game
it's super duper short, with a boss that you better not die on because you're never getting blood echoes back, because they simply disappear! Wasn't too worried about going in with 70k but then I come back and they are just GONE. Beat that boss and now
the blood moons out
, that's cool. Nows a great time to backtrack I say and see if I missed anything early. I go to
Father Gas' daughter, it's some dude now! Gives me a random item that I google because the game will never tell you anything, now I'm in a college, now I'm in hell!
. I was having loads of fun till the forest and now everything feels like Dark Souls 1 after Anor Londo, random aimless unconnected exploring. Quit after coming across an enemy that frenzies you through sheer power of bullshit through the air and ignores your attacks as per norm. I need a break. I was enjoying the chalice dungeons as a breather until they put it 1 shot fireball mages...

Aaaaaaand breathe innnnnnnnnn...

And breathe ouuuuuuuuuut.

:D

You're at the point where you need to start looking at Resistance runes, what items you have, and being careful about attacking. Those frenzy monsters (Winter Lanterns, I think they're called?) need to have their attacks baited - the grab especially is auto-death, because Frenzy removes a portion of your health, and the grab deals physical damage enough to finish you off. But! Equip a Resistance rune (there's a 200% Frenzy one someplace, otherwise you should have a 100% All Resistance boost one?), and make sure you have a stock of Sedatives. Bait the grab, dive in for a hit or two, back off, chug Sedative, repeat.

They're the worst, and I only really learned to deal with them when I was dealing with the DLC, trying to get a weapon needed for the Trophy. But they're do-able.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm already feeling the urge to replay. this would be my 3rd playthrough. i told myself i'd take a break but it's just sooo good. not sure if i should keep my NG+ save or start over. i only played so far as to get to the first lantern and get my weapons.

this time i might give the chalice dungeons a shot. never bothered with them before. not sure what they are exactly or how to get into them. i remember getting some items that you use but i don't know what to do.

tamminen

i'm already feeling the urge to replay. this would be my 3rd playthrough. i told myself i'd take a break but it's just sooo good. not sure if i should keep my NG+ save or start over. i only played so far as to get to the first lantern and get my weapons.

this time i might give the chalice dungeons a shot. never bothered with them before. not sure what they are exactly or how to get into them. i remember getting some items that you use but i don't know what to do.

I just completed all the chalices required for the trophy in couple days and they were boring and repetitive as fk. You cant even rush all of them cause you need to grab the materials to open the next chalice dungeon.

The bosses are actually pretty ok except for couple of them and along with the DLC these bosses finally made me feel like Im actually learning them instead of just swinging my sword and chugging down health pots like a mad man. A lot of the vanilla bosses felt like this for me.

Dynedom

You better put spoilers for newcomers

Yeah, that's what I thought. Better safe than sorry.

If you want the Plat, you need to venture into the Chalice Dungeons. They're not good but some of the boss fights are super fun. The Defiled Chalice will test your patience, depending on what level / stat-spread you go into it with.

Restarting with a different build really does freshen up the game. My second run of the game was an STR/ARC build which is a load of fun. Current run is SKL/BT and at some points it can break the game and at other points, you have a clear disadvantage due to reach (well, considering the weapons I used). It also forced me to have to really work on my jukes, which is something I didn't really find I required with the STR/ARC build.

Melchiah

At one point in every one's Bloodborne playthrough the Chalice Dungeons become the worst thing about this game. Literally the worst. Dark Souls 2 level. However after you finally Platinum the game they kind of become fun and interesting! It's unexplainable, lol.

It was never like that for me. Perhaps, because I spread them across three months, instead of grinding through as fast as possible. Actually, I platinumed the game before going through all of them, as I took advantage of the bypass method, that allowed you to enter Ihyll chalice without clearing all the preceding dungeons. Afterwards, I just wanted to experience and beat them all, eventhough I already had the platinum trophy. I enjoyed exloring them, and the challenge they provided, even the Defiled chalice. The Chime Maidens and the butt-naked Watchers were a pain in the ass though.

Dynedom

Fucking eh. Beat final DLC boss (i.e.
Orphan of Kos
) solo for the first time on NG. Took me about 6 tries. Parry bait first phase and aggressive body hugging second phase.

Being able to solo so many things I never did before (entire Defiled Chalice,
Maria
among others) is so gratifying.

Now have a set of boss videos I can be proud to own.

I guess soloing
Laurence
is the last step.

cj_iwakura

Too close.

C6s0niEVoAI1gxB.jpg:large

Dodged for like three minutes waiting for an opening.

Ydelnae

Just got the Forbidden Woods, reached the section with the
the aliens, the snake things and the RE4 type people

WHAT is this place and most importantly, WHY did I just lose 60.000 blood echoes in some random location that I don't even know where it is right now. I was having fun with the game until now but this is seriously infuriating.

And I just now that I will accidentally end up with the boss fight while trying to go back to the lantern after farming.

Dynedom

Well hot damn. Beat
Laurence
on my first try. Never did that with a boss in BB until now (on each build I've run). Bowblade too damn stronk.

Just got the Forbidden Woods, reached the section with the
the aliens, the snake things and the RE4 type people

WHAT is this place and most importantly, WHY did I just lose 60.000 blood echoes in some random location that I don't even know where it is right now. I was having fun with the game until now but this is seriously infuriating.

And I just now that I will accidentally end up with the boss fight while trying to go back to the lantern after farming.

Your best bet for finding your echoes is hoping an enemy picked them up. Then you can just look for ol' blue eyes (the enemy that killed you isn't always the same one that picks them up). Otherwise yeah, Forbidden Woods is massive and it's very easy to get lost. :(

Too close.

Dodged for like three minutes waiting for an opening.

Probably my proudest achievement in BB. Fight was 11 minutes long but the patience paid off. Not having a serrated/long-reach/buff-ready weapon for that dude sucks

Hesemonni

Banned
I mean, I completed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls without too much of an effort now I'm constantly getting my ass handed to me and can't even get past those two fucking werewolves on the wall.

I guess I have some real learning and unlearning to do :|

Top Bottom