• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+++| ...and so the Nightly Hunt continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artex

Banned
I finally fucked chalice Rom in the anus last night. From my very first go with him, I would get him down to about 15% health almost every time and then be OHK'd somehow. What a pain in the ass that big dummy is.

autoduelist

I finally did it and it took me long enough.
Ailing lower loren
chalice and the
defiled chalice
dungeon nearly made me to give up. Some of the hardest bosses in there! And without some good tactics people posted here I would not have been able to get my plat trophy. So thx to you guys.

Next step... wait for DLC.

Great job. How did you defeat the
headless beast
in the final chalice? i'm completely stuck, so close yet so far.

Saint9806

Thank you. I will look for the shortcut. I tried opening every gate and knocking on every door to no avail. I have an idea where to look next (to go left rather than straight when I first get into the streets with the mob) the end of that alley to the left has some bigger guardian that once killed me right away, so I never went there again. I suspect if I kill him, shortcut will be there. I've also encountered an avoidable giant that was banging on one gate from the other side. A big nooope right there, as I continued straight towards those giant crows on the other side of that courtyard. I don't see how that gate could be much of a shortcut though.

Yes, I do that as well. Molotovs too (probably a bad idea as I should save them for the boss, right?) I find it really difficult to aim with pebbles. When I get close enough with them so that I can aim, enemies usually already spot me. I usually try to lure them onto the stairs where they can't gang up on me from all sides, and I can hit multiple enemies in one swing.

Luring them to the stairs is a great method! Fight them one on one. If they gang up on you, run!!!

Here is a spoiler for the shortcut if you really want it.
The gate right next to the lamp that is locked is your shortcut

Baalzebup

Where do you guys stand on Eileen's quest
requiring you to ignore her advice to keep her friendly and get the full quest
?

Personally I dislike things like that, especially when these games have NPCs turn hostile so often. I assumed that actually doing it would keep the quest alive for later, rather than essentially killing it

First time I've been burned by not using a tutorial

I love stuff like that. There should be consequences to ones choices and they don't have to be apparent in any way or form, seeing as you will (almost) never know everything anyway, unless you're following a guide and thus ruining what I see as a part of the fun. The Witcher games have been pretty awesome in this regard.

My two cents.

Ikon

I posted the solution earlier on the page. It requires a sprinting jump.
Oh cool, thanks. I found the crevice with the aliens but didn't see an obvious spot to jump over it. I'll go back and look again.

Edit: I found it. It was really close of the ledge I dropped down from earlier, to the left.

And holy shit this is the coolest set with the mask!

Boof

Playing through with a skill alt. I can't decide between maxing cane or blades of mercy. I was gonna do blades of mercy since they look cool as hell. But I've grown fond of the cane. Is the whips range vastly superior to the blades?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Though, yeah, I don't know what dogs did to Miyazaki, but it must have been catastrophic. He seems to think they're the most dangerous animal in the universe.
looool

Yeah I think my #1 hated enemy are the hellhounds (those that accompany the Keepers in the Chalice dungeons). Or maybe the shrieking black metal guys. Or maybe the brainsuckers. Or maybe the tick-women... or the red spiders... gahhh so many awful monsters.

Well I don't have enough Ritual Blood(4) to make the defiled chalice so I have to go farm stupid fucking Ritual Blood(4) because this game is stupid sometimes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's the only way I've ever beaten him. I'm legitimately terrified of him lol.

Strategy I ended up using is pretty simple:

When he's about to start his triple-attack combo, roll forwards and to your left to avoid it.

When he charges you, roll forwards and to your right to avoid it.

If you end up behind him in either case you can punish him, but beware of his back-swing. You can stay in a bit longer usually if you are on his side.

As healing/using an item always makes him charge, only ever heal when he's at the end of a combo or doing a heavy move.

Straightforwards, but super intense and none too quick. With AB my best advice is just to face him a few times without ever considering healing or doing damage first so you can get a feel for the best way to avoid being smashed by him.

He's very much like Capra demon in that his biggest asset is his "intimidation factor". Once you realize he isn't as deadly as you first thought, the fight becomes a lot more easy and predictable.

Mogwai

Playing through with a skill alt. I can't decide between maxing cane or blades of mercy. I was gonna do blades of mercy since they look cool as hell. But I've grown fond of the cane. Is the whips range vastly superior to the blades?
The range is a lot better on the cane, also vertically. But the blades in dual wield mode has great stamina efficiency. It's a give and take.

I love stuff like that. There should be consequences to ones choices and they don't have to be apparent in any way or form, seeing as you will (almost) never know everything anyway, unless you're following a guide and thus ruining what I see as a part of the fun. The Witcher games have been pretty awesome in this regard.

My two cents.
I don't normally mind but from what I've read, her quest is one of the best parts of the game, and the point of no return is seemingly completely arbitrary

w00zey

Well, physical (tempering) bloodgems boost all kinds of physical damage (normal, thrust AND blunt). If you consistently use the R2 attacks (which are thrust in both forms of the ludwig blade) over the other attacks, and the percentages you get with the thrust-only gems are significantly higher than those of the all-round gems, then it would make sense to use the thrust-boosting gems. Otherwise, the all-round gems would be preferable. If you have some really powerful damage-type specific gems, it might be worth to adapt your play-style to take advantage of it.

Also, you may use the damage-type specific gems to make keeping a secondary weapon around viable. E.g. use your best overall gems for your all-round main and your blunt-specific gems for your kirkhammer backup.

Thanks. In the end I guess I was doing the right thing. I don't charge attack too often, at least not nearly as much as regular attacks.

joecanada

I guess I won't ever understand why you would do this. Tried the dupe glitch in DeS and thought that it made the game boring.

most people do it to level alternate characters i think, that's what I did... doing it on a first playthrough would reduce the game to about 4 hours of fun.

cakely

Well I don't have enough Ritual Blood(4) to make the defiled chalice so I have to go farm stupid fucking Ritual Blood(4) because this game is stupid sometimes.

There's a fat enemy with a poker that respawns at the end of lower pthumeru chalice who drops Ritual Blood(4).

There's a door to the left in the hallway that leads to the layer 3 boss fight. Get to the end of those chambers (you can run by nearly everything), kill the fattie, and then use a bold hunter's mark to reset.

It went really quickly for me.

ISee

headless beast

First of all do not lock on, I wasn't able to doge his attacks while locked on, but I am pretty sure you already figuered that one out. Try to stay in medium range to the boss.

For the first phase, whenever he starts his 'ranged attack' (shooting blood) run as fast as possible towards him (his projectiels won't hit you) and hit his throat. After a couple of good hits he will get staggered and you can perform a visceral attack (weak point is still his throat)

The boss telegraphs his attack pretty well and he is not as relentless as the dark
beast of loran
for example. Whenever he does his 'normal' smash combo just roll towards his legs, with some training he won't hit you and you can hit his legs one to two times.

At least that worked for me

And do not give up. I needed four days for
defiled amygdala

i-Lo

So, I just resumed playing the game from the beginning of Old Yharnam and I am getting my ASS HANDED TO ME LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER.

The doll is still inactive and playing as a "Waste of skin" is living up to the namesake at my hands.

I am using the axe and blunderbuss but have yet to learn how to parry remotely well. In any event, is there another shortcut after the group of folks burning that giant werewolf which connects that segment to the crow and big guy (banging on the door) because out of the three, two (one giant door and one gate) are closed? Those werewolves up on the bridge shredded me (I also found out that you can tip toe around them to get to the staircase on the other side, but those fuckers follow you down the stair case).

Holy shit the Defiled Chalice Watchdog fight is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in a game.

Fuck this boss :(

equip a long range 2h weapon, I use hunter axe. Stand in front of him and bait his head swipe attack. Hit him while he is rebounding, step up a few steps hit once, dodge back once, repeat. If you see his feet scurry/shuffle, dodge left/right cause hes about to charge. Its super easy, just takes a while. If you see him start vomiting, run in for a few quick hits, then get out.

Stainless

I forgot about the tonsil stone, and now when I go to the house in forbidden woods, all I get is growling. I go to the one in central yarhnam, and the window is busted out, no response. All the others are no response. Am I not going to be able to access lecture building without this item?

Skatterd

I forgot about the tonsil stone, and now when I go to the house in forbidden woods, all I get is growling. I go to the one in central yarhnam, and the window is busted out, no response. All the others are no response. Am I not going to be able to access lecture building without this item?

You can access it from a different location later

Kamina

Golden Boy
So, I just resumed playing the game from the beginning of Old Yharnam and I am getting my ASS HANDED TO ME LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER.

The doll is still inactive and playing as a "Waste of skin" is living up to the namesake at my hands.

I am using the axe and blunderbuss but have yet to learn how to parry remotely well. In any event, is there another shortcut after the group of folks burning that giant werewolf which connects that segment to the crow and big guy (banging on the door) because out of the three, two (one giant door and one gate) are closed? Those werewolves up on the bridge shredded me (I also found out that you can tip toe around them to get to the staircase on the other side, but those fuckers follow you down the stair case).
A little tip:
When you are coming from the area with the big fire burning that wolf, and you enter that crow & big guy area, go in the direction of the house where the women are laughing and keep to the left, destroy some wood coffins there and behold...

Koh

headless beast

Overhead attacks on its headless area worked for me. I used the extended axe cleaver. That boa and amygdala were pretty much the only bosses i used the transformed mode on.

Kieli

Chalice dungeons are already unfun, but I was legit shook that they would actually make us farm them.....

Like, dayum.

i-Lo

A little tip
When you are coming from the area with the big fire burning that wolf, and you enter that crow-big guy area, go close to the house where the woman are laughing and keep to the left, destroy some wood coffins there and behold...

WoW! *salutes* Thank you.

cakely

You need 1 insight (the eyeball icon) to get the doll to animate.

You can gain this insight by
seeing a boss for the first time (you don't have to defeat the boss)
, or by
using a Madman's Knowledge item. (you can find one in the sewer section of Yharnam).

Holy shit the Defiled Chalice Watchdog fight is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in a game.

Fuck this boss :(

Patience is the key. If you have to just wait for him to spit.
And wear full Fire Resi Armor + 2-3 Health Runes or Fire/Dmg Reduction. You don't need any other in the fight. so you may survive his charge attack with some luck.

Here is how I beat him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwI8qDz4f8M

Hope it helps!
Hardest Boss of the game for me too.

Kamina

Golden Boy
WoW! *salutes* Thank you.
Glad I could help :)
When you come up from that area with the cow and the big guy to the bridge
with the two werewolves, just walk down the stairs right in front of the ones you come up from. Then walk to the left in the upcoming area and destroy some more wooden stuff...

myco666

most people do it to level alternate characters i think, that's what I did... doing it on a first playthrough would reduce the game to about 4 hours of fun.

But the early game is super great. Why would you skip it / make it piss easy? And I really like building the character more than just dumbing all stats at once.

Anung

Un Rama
Beat NG+ Micolash. Hey is such an easy boss fight but he has insta-kill one hit moves so it makes it bullshit.

Just beat Mergo and will use a USB to do both endings to save hassle.

Toxi

Banned
But the early game is super great. Why would you skip it / make it piss easy? And I really like building the character more than just dumbing all stats at once.
Let's you mess up the order of the game for some variety, like beating the
Shadows of Yharnam
as your first boss.

myco666

Let's you mess up the order of the game for some variety, like beating the
Shadows of Yharnam
as your first boss.

Problem with doing stuff like this is that you will easily break the game so that you can't actually progress. But I understand the appeal of varying the game up.

Problem with doing stuff like this is that you will easily break the game so that you can't actually progress. But I understand the appeal of varying the game up.

I keep hearing this but the sequence breaking strats and breaking the AI were a staple of speedruns pre-patch and they wouldn't use the bugs if they weren't able to finish the game.

DedValve

Banned
aww dammit the unlimted echoes has been patched :(

Really wish they add a way to respec characters. I'd love to experiment with a few PvP characters without having to go through the trouble of going all the way up to 100 with a new character.

Caderfix

aww dammit the unlimted echoes has been patched :(

Really wish they add a way to respec characters. I'd love to experiment with a few PvP characters without having to go through the trouble of going all the way up to 100 with a new character.

Aw, man, that's sad... I'll create a couple more characters to experiment with before installing the patch then... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom