• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne PS Pro patch isn't happening, is it?

laxu

As desperate as I am for this to drop, wouldn't it create probs on PvP. Would there be an an advantage for 60fps vs 30 fps? Or would the maths make it non-issue?

PC Dark Souls 3 certainly runs with a variable framerate AFAIK without that much trouble in the online mode. The same is true with most online games where the server-side stuff can run at a fixed rate while the client side runs as well as the hardware can deliver.

4K Bloodborne might not happen though consider even a really beefy PC GPU can't do it in DS3, at least at max detail. I would love something in between supersampled or checkerboard though.

j-wood

That's pretty true though. If all MP games have to run equal they can't put the game at 60fps if the PS4 version runs at 30FPS.

This is something I have a question about. Why is this a concern on consoles? It happens on PC all the time in online games does it not? Someone could be running at 60, others could be running lower than that depending on your hardware.

Necron

Tweeted already, i'd be all over Bloodborne again if they added a pro patch.

Me too. To be honest, I'd even be happy with a Pro patch that delivers minor improvements like a completely stable 30 fps, no frame pacing issues, reduced loading times and HDR.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Look up what happened when FROM started porting the series to PC. It wasn't pretty, and high fps was game-breaking.

I'm aware (although I think "game-breaking" is pushing it. I only remember two ladders posing problems.)

I think the issue is that, until Dark Souls III, the physics in Souls games were tied to the framerate, and so putting someone running at 60fps against another player at 30fps might pose problems.

Then again, I don't remember Dark Souls on PC showing too many problems in that respect, so maybe it wouldn't actually be much of a barrier for Bloodborne.

I was responding to Kaisos's question, "Why does 60fps matter in a game that was designed to be played at 30?" As if the target of 30fps was decided upon by the developers because it would offer the ideal experience instead of being a compromise due to limited hardware, and as if the game wouldn't feel any better to play at 60fps because it was originally designed for 30.

Dark Souls is actually a great example of this, its problems with ladders and jumping notwithstanding. I mean, hell, just compare the character creator between the console and PC versions and the difference will be immediately apparent.

After seeing what the pro can do on my 1080p display, Bloodborne is in dire need of a pro patch.

bloodborne_2016072400t5kg3.png

I love seeing Bloodborne hitching along on my new PS4 Pro knowing the GPU is being downclocked massively and is capable of much more. Awesome, Sony. Awesome.

Gator86

I love seeing Bloodborne hitching along on my new PS4 Pro knowing the GPU is being downclocked massively and is capable of much more. Awesome, Sony. Awesome.

It really was an inane decision to not make some type of improvements by default without requiring a patch.

It really was an inane decision to not make some type of improvements by default without requiring a patch.

It really is. It was a well known exclusive title to the ps4 and you would think Sony would try to encourage console exclusive games to get a pro treatment.

You are misguided if you think that Bloodborne is GPU-bound. It doesn't even utilize all CPU cores (like Uncharted 4 does).

If the engine was multi-threaded in the first place, it could reach 60 fps even on OG PS4... graphics-wise Doom is hella more impressive and it runs at 1080p60.

At the very least, they could offer 33% higher framerate (because of the CPU upclock) on PS4 Pro and some downsampling.

It's not that simple. They could implement a whitelist, but curation costs money too.

Palmer27

Or like the time they made a petition to bring Dark Souls 1 to the PC.. Oh wait.
I feel like we should do a petition simply so we don't have to say we haven't tried.

I'm now a mature young man who would still sign this shit because why not.
Also, would frankly still be tempted by a pro to play a version of Bloodborne with clean IQ and consistent frame pacing.

dan2026

Why do people seem to think that the Pro will fix the frame pacing problems?

If they couldn't fix it on the OG PS4 I doubt they can fix it in the Pro.

HeelPower

You are misguided if you think that Bloodborne is GPU-bound. It doesn't even utilize all CPU cores (like Uncharted 4 does).

If the engine was multi-threaded in the first place, it could reach 60 fps even on OG PS4... graphics-wise Doom is hella more impressive and it runs at 1080p60.

Why the F does Uncharted fully utilize the CPU ?

The game is largely static and hyper linear.Hardly runs any complex AI scripts or random events.Is it the lighting ?

I think its very,very disappointing that UC4 is only 30 fps on the Pro.I think the game is wasteful of its resources if that's the case.

EvB

Once the initial supply of patched games has dried up, I fully expect to see definitive editions. Gotta get that coin

This will be such a missed opportunity if it doesn't happen.
You have one of the best games of the generation just begging for a good frame-rate and now you have the opportunity to make it happen, if they don't take advantage of it it will be downright criminal.
A locked 30fps would already be a big improvement.

The game is largely static and hyper linear.Hardly runs any complex AI scripts or random events.Is it the lighting ?

I think its very,very disappointing that UC4 is only 30 fps on the Pro.I think the game is wasteful of its resources if that's the case.

Just to make sure, you played the game, right?

4K Bloodborne might not happen though consider even a really beefy PC GPU can't do it in DS3, at least at max detail. I would love something in between supersampled or checkerboard though.

Depends what your definition of beefy is. A Titan XP can do 4k60 in Dark Souls III maxed out no problem. But Bloodborne runs at 30 FPS, not 60. I'd be willing to bet last-gen cards can run DS3 at 4k30.

Static and linear? Have you played it? Have you also played the previous Uncharted games?

http://allenchou.net/2016/05/a-brain-dump-of-what-i-worked-on-for-uncharted-4/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-04-uncharted-4-not-as-scripted-as-you-might-think

UC4 AI is massively upgraded from the previous games... try playing it on Crushing.

Lighting has nothing to do with the CPU, it's a GPU task. AI pathfinding & physics also run on the GPU via compute shaders asynchronously.

The point is that ND maxes out the CPU already, so 60 fps is not possible for the Campaign. Bloodborne doesn't utilize more than 1-2 Jaguar cores at most.

This will be such a missed opportunity if it doesn't happen.
You have one of the best games of the generation just begging for a good frame-rate and now you have the opportunity to make it happen, if they don't take advantage of it it will be downright criminal.
A locked 30fps would already be a big improvement.

Just to make sure, you played the game, right?

Yeah, for some reason the creators of one of the most dazzling graphical accomplishments ever is being called out for being either clueless or lazy. Makes zero sense. ND knows what they're doing.

As for a Bloodborne patch, they should do it! That said, it's early days and I could see more patches rolling out over the months.

At the very least, they could offer 33% higher framerate (because of the CPU upclock) on PS4 Pro and some downsampling.

It's not that simple. They could implement a whitelist, but curation costs money too.
Please tell us more about how you know of Bloodborne's technical aspects than the devs themselves

Brix

I'm ok with Bloodborne not getting a patch, but from software could at least give dark souls 3 a pro patch. There's still a second dlc left for DS3.

Electret

It's well-known fact that Souls games use an old, single-threaded engine.

Your sarcasm is uncalled for, young man...

Is this true? I was wondering why BB has crap framepacing. Presumably they consider a multi-thread rewrite too complex with an insufficient ROI. Massively disappointing whatever the reason. You'd think a developer would take the necessary steps to maximize responsiveness and consistency in an action game where these aspects are paramount to a good user experience.

Is this true? I was wondering why BB has crap framepacing. Presumably they consider a multi-thread rewrite too complex with an insufficient ROI. Massively disappointing whatever the reason. You'd think a developer would take the necessary steps to maximize responsiveness and consistency in an action game where these aspects are paramount to a good user experience.
Since you asked kindly...

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/dark-souls-iii-pc-performance-analysis/

"Dark Souls III is mainly a single-threaded game (as you can see from our screenshots). Hyper Threading is basically enabling two threads on each CPU core, meaning that a single-threaded game is under-performing in PC systems that have Hyper Threading enabled."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186424710840/

"3.2 Seems that dark souls 3 mainly a single-threaded game, so to increase the FPS of that main thread (bad pc port as allways), go to your computer bios and disable the intel H.E.I.S.T or SPEEDSTEP or in case of AMD the cool n' quiet option."

Even AMD PCs suffer from frame pacing issues... this is not a coincidence.

AMD CPUs have weaker IPC, let alone Jaguar ones. AMD GPUs don't perform that well in DX11.

I think you get the idea...

Future FROM games need to utilize a multi-threaded engine. ND, DICE, id Software and even Capcom have multi-threaded engines these days.

1080p60 is not possible on current-gen consoles for demanding games with single-threaded code.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Once the initial supply of patched games has dried up, I fully expect to see definitive editions. Gotta get that coin

Are they allowed to charge for PS4 Pro patches? I assumed this wouldn't be the case.

Mother of god. As if the petitions aren't bad enough, the comments are even worse.

I doubt any of those people have any idea about the basic operation of the games industry, although I could get behind the 'Bloodborne for Best Shooter' petition. I mean it does have guns in it.

I really hope this one was serious:

DON'T RELEASE DARK SOULS III ON PC

We made you who you are. We bought TWO MILLION copies of Bloodborne. Only for you to stab us and Sony in the back and release your next game on the Personal Computing platform.

PC players don't deserve this game since most of them are cheaters and they are going to pirate the game anyway. We deserve to have this game only on the PlayStation®4 console since we made you successful, and it was Sony who funded your next gen engine.

Stop working on the PC version of DARK SOULS III right now or we are going to boycott your game. You have to choose, FROM SOFTWARE. It's either us or PC pirates.

WarpathDC

I don't know if it is bc I had a faster HDD in my old ps4 vs the stock in the pro but when I played bb again on the pro the framerate was worse, more frequent dips and some stuttering. I was hoping for a slight improvement at best, parity at worst but not worse performance...

WarpathDC

I run DS3 at at a very solid 60fps on PC @ 2560x1440. I'm using two 970s but i'd imagine with the ps4 pro api and a gpu w/ a dedicated 8gb of DDR5 it could at least do a solid 30fps at 1440p. Hell i'll take a patch that just fixes the frame drops.

I run DS3 at at a very solid 60fps on PC @ 2560x1440. I'm using two 970s but i'd imagine with the ps4 pro api and a gpu w/ a dedicated 8gb of DDR5 it could at least do a solid 30fps at 1440p. Hell i'll take a patch that just fixes the frame drops.

Well, it's the frame pacing they would need to sort out, not the frame rate. The game already runs at a mostly solid 30 FPS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are they doing Bloodborne 2 already? It's going to be 2 years soon. What is taking so long? Was this not massively successful? Sony can't just give up on this.

Top Bottom