• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne PS Pro patch isn't happening, is it?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
No, not at all. The animations and controls were designed around a 30fps experience, so why would I?

How does one design animations and controls around 30fps? The animation would look smoother, prettier at 60fps; and the controls would feel more responsive if only because of the 50 percent reduction in input lag. Really, if there's any one game among Souls that should be 60fps, it is Bloodborne. The relatively fast pace of the gameplay, especially in fights like Orphan of Kos, would benefit greatly from the added smoothness and clarity of motion and responsiveness gained by the higher framerate.

Pachinko

I've said it before and I'll say it again , despite my many MANY complaints about bloodborne (99% of which are because I'm awful at the game) , if they could somehow by some miracle get it to run 60 fps on the PRO, that would be reason enough to buy a PRO for me.

Sadly, I don't have faith :(

How does one design animations and controls around 30fps? The animation would look smoother, prettier at 60fps; and the controls would feel more responsive if only because of the 50 percent reduction in input lag. Really, if there's any one game among Souls that should be 60fps, it is Bloodborne. The relatively fast pace of the gameplay, especially in fights like Orphan of Kos, would benefit greatly from the added smoothness and clarity of motion and responsiveness gained by the higher framerate.

Yeah. Bloodborne at 60 FPS would be gaming perfection. I guess we'll have to wait until 20XX when we can emulate it on PC. Or maybe they'll release a remaster on PS5.

Arttemis

A totally stable 30, better lighting, and other visual effects... That's enough for me. 60fps seems less likely.

Do the same for DS3, too, please!

And then, go ahead and bring DS1 and Demon's Souls with all the bells and whistles.

Just picked up a Pro. My annoyance at no BB patch is palpable.

Any idea for some sort of group Twitter/petition? The Old Ones demand it.

I wonder if Sony will force them to patch DS3 with the next DLC release? Given the same engine is being used it might mean less work to go back and patch BB as well.

From is probably too busy on DS3 DLC to go back to BB at this point so probably not.

That said, I also wouldn't totally rule out Sony pushing for it so they have something to use for a cheap pop from the crowd at PSX during the likely Pro segment that'll be there.

We'll see.

Everyone here should tweet yoshida and miyazaki for a pro update. If you have done it already then do it again.

The best and only thing we could do. I want a Pro patch for this game so bad.

Tweet to @giwamasa (Bloodborne Producer at SIE), @YasuhiroKitao (Japan Studio PR) and @yosp.

Elios83

Probably the dev team at FS has just moved on.
Pro support requires an active development team working on the game.
Maybe Dark Souls 3 has higher chances.

Look up what happened when FROM started porting the series to PC. It wasn't pretty, and high fps was game-breaking.

wiibomb

Lord Miyazaki needs to open his eyes to the eldritch truth...

we all want the patch...

grant us patches, grant us patches... plant patches on our brains to cleans us from these framerates...

As much as I would love it and it would be the most appropriate patch, doesn't make sense for Fromsoft. They've already released a game since bloodborne and have confirmed multiple projects. Hunter vs hunters would be improved greatly by the increased frame rate.

ClearData

Some musings and speculation from me as to why it may never happen:
  • Can the engine used to develop the game scale up to 60 fps? Is this like a Tales of Xillia situation?
  • From is knee deep in development of their new game and won't be bothered to revisit Bloodborne.
  • What happens to competitive balance between Slim and Pro players if the latter get higher framerates in PvP?

dan2026

It wouldn't matter if they increased the framerate to 60.

The broken frame pacing means it would still feel stuttery to play.

• Can the engine used to develop the game scale up to 60 fps? Is this like a Tales of Xillia situation?
  • From is knee deep in development of their new game and won't be bothered to revisit Bloodborne.
  • What happens to competitive balance between Slim and Pro players if the latter get higher framerates in PvP?

At least let the game scale up to higher resolution (The game has some pretty bad shimmering and supersampling would help that.) and make use of the additional power to fix the frametimes.

Mark Cerny
“The target was to make sure that support [for the PS4 Pro] could be done for a fraction of a percent of the overall effort,” Cerny said to Gamasutra. “And I do mean a fraction of a percent. I mean, I’ve run the math, and it’s 0.2 or 0.3 percent for these projects — some of them. So at that point, I think it’s very natural for the development community to support the platform.”

So how much is that in financial committments to make it happen?

ClearData

At least let the game scale up to higher resolution (The game has some pretty bad shimmering and supersampling would help that.) and make use of the additional power to fix the frametimes.

Improved frame timing and cleaner IQ would be welcomed by a lot of people no doubt. But I think some would be bitterly disappointed because they consider 60 fps the true prize. I don't see that as possible if it ruins competitive balance. One can hope in some kind of patch though. However unlikely that seems.

VertPin

Just picked up a Pro. My annoyance at no BB patch is palpable.

Any idea for some sort of group Twitter/petition? The Old Ones demand it.
I started one on Twitter. Tweet #BloodborneProPatch at @yosp @fromsoftware_pr @SonyJapanStudio @Bloodborne_PS4 and @YasuhiroKitao. Currently sitting at close to sixty retweets and 86 likes, let's get it moving some more so hopefully they take notice! I wonder if there is anyone else who can be tweeted at?

Given that it's a first party title that could benefit from it a lot & is a hardcore darling that sold well, I'm really surprised it wasn't top of Sony's list to -make- happen.

Even just the load times or some of the rough edges.

Ferr986

Given that it's a first party title that could benefit from it a lot & is a hardcore darling that sold well, I'm really surprised it wasn't top of Sony's list to -make- happen.

Even just the load times or some of the rough edges.

It's probably FROM decision not Sony, they're the ones that programmed the game. And FROM isn't up to do much work when it comes to framerate. BB and DS3 still have framepacing issues and frame drops.

Noobcraft

Because the game has a multiplayer component built in I don't even think 60fps is an option (it would give an unfair advantage). At best there would be a res bump and frame pacing fix, but we're talking about FromSoft, and if anything DS3 would get the treatment.

HooYaH

I started one on Twitter. Tweet #BloodborneProPatch at @yosp @fromsoftware_pr @SonyJapanStudio @Bloodborne_PS4 and @YasuhiroKitao. Currently sitting at close to sixty retweets and 86 likes, let's get it moving some more so hopefully they take notice! I wonder if there is anyone else who can be tweeted at?

Maybe Gio Corsi since he's third person party relations? Have him make a Wishlist for PSX for Pro patches.

Whales

Banned
well, they could lock the game to 30fps. fix the frame pacing that seems to annoy a lot of people, and maybe have a small res bump

but they're really not obligated to, I cant blame FROM if they dont feel like bothering

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not greedy, I want stable 30FPS when playing multiplayer, that's all I want, I'm tired of the games chugging at 15 FPS when there are 3 or 4 people on screen.

I'm not even that sensitive to framerate, I only notice the difference between 60 and 30 FPS when playing games back-to-back, so I don't really care that much about 60 FPS.

Can the engine used to develop the game scale up to 60 fps?
Souls games use a single-threaded engine. It runs fine on Intel/Nvidia PCs (Intel has superior IPC and Nvidia drivers incur less CPU overhead), but AMD hardware suffers from frame pacing issues.

The whole engine needs to be restructured (fully multi-threaded for 6-7 cores) to make 60 fps viable on current-gen consoles.

DieH@rd

Banned
They just need to do what Uncharted 4 did. Raise resolution to 1440p, and make sure framerate is nicely framepaced even in toughest places [U4 was fine in that department already]. Stick at 30 so that PvP is not affected in Base vs Pro matches.

Rodin

I don't think it will, which is a shame. I believe Cerny suggested that the work to do isn't that big, and i think many of us would be ok with just 1620p-1800p with checkerboard for 4K TVs/downsampling for 1080p and a more stable frame rate (still 30fps).

And an on/off toggle for CA since they'd be working on a patch

Top Bottom