• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne PS Pro patch isn't happening, is it?

It didn't win enough GOTY awards for Sony to bother.

Bloodborne fans were right all along, that game winning GOTY everywhere was the most important thing in the world.

Frostman

It seems From has moved on, I can't see it happening. Although couldn't Sony get their Japan Studio to patch it?

I understand that this will be a busy season for them with finishing up the Last Guardian and GR2 but as we have heard from other studios all it takes is 1 or 2 people.

DieH@rd

Banned
I find this lack of update strange, since catering for a hardcore audience is incredibly effective marketing tactic [and BB is the only truly "hardcore" exclusive game they have]. Even if such patch would not cause big spike in sales, marketing value would be high.

ElCidTmax

They sell BB for $20 now. I highly doubt they see a financial incentive to do this. One of the first questions that came up from users when the PS Pro was announced was whether publishers would charge for PS4 Pro patches, and while Sony did say it was up to the publisher, I highly doubt we will see patches for sale with no additional content.

I do wonder if we will see some benefit from the PS4 Pro without any related patch. I would be OK with a more stable 30 fps and better frame pacing. TBH I never had a problem with how the game ran, but better is better.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony published it, so pretty certain they could make it worthwhile to FROM to patch it.

Whether they do or not, and more significantly when, is another story.

Just wait for Bloodborne 2

you have to wait for Bloodborne 2

There was a recent interview with Miyazaki where he explicitly stated that Bloodborne 2 is not in the works and I also interpreted the whole 'Souls is at a turning point' as him lumping Bloodborne into that.

Here's the quote:

"This game marks a major "turning point" within the Dark Souls series. Just as it's been announced, we have two DLCs planned, but as it stands now, I'm not thinking about making any sequels or spin-offs. That applies to Bloodborne as well."

@Wreck

probably if they announce BB2 and an BB Pro Patch

*those of you who would by a PRO for, an 'patch (4k/30fps)' are you not just buying a less than remastered version?

i'm not sure pro patches are worth buying a (redundant: if you already own an ps4) system for?

Dunno if the processor can even handle it without insane concessions.
Well, 60fps is probably off the table. But I can definitely see them adding the checkerboard upscaling (and subsequent supersampling if you're at 1080p). I just hope they combine that feature with a chromatic aberration toggle!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't give up on the possibility but they may have to limit it to offline mode or make it such that 30 and 60 fps players are separate.

Deadstar

They'd be smart to do it. It would boost sales of the game for people buying a playstation for the first time. "Bloodborne available for ps pro" etc etc.

I wouldn't give up on the possibility but they may have to limit it to offline mode or make it such that 30 and 60 fps players are separate.
Sure. But with what we now know about the Pro's processor, the engine would probably need the GPU to do CPU stuff (<--- expert analysis there) in order to achieve 60fps. That's way too much of a hassle for a game this old. Besides, FROM aren't exactly the kings of framerate, so there's that too :)

I'd be over the moon with just a resolution bump. And the frame-pacing fixed. And a chromatic aberration toggle. And more effects. And Bloodborne 2.

If they didn't even bother to fix the frame pacing, no way in hell they were ever gonna divert resources to a Pro patch.

That makes zero sense, man. They diverted plenty of resources to, you know, actually make the entire game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say fixing the frame-pacing was probably more complicated than how you make it appear.

LordOfChaos

I wonder if it'll still help it though, even fully patched up, co-op with any amount of effects on screen (say someone holding a torch at the same time) still tanks the framerate.

Unless the Pro operates at PS4 clocks in non-Pro games.

NIN90

You guys realize that there's more to upgrade than just FPS right? I still maintain that if FROM wanted, they could make it so you were forced offline if you chose a 60fps mode, and if you went online it locked to 30.

But I feel as if it won't get Pro support at all.
Oh give me a freaking break. We've been doing online multiplayer with different refresh rates on PC for decades now and we still live.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Oh give me a freaking break. We've been doing online multiplayer with different refresh rates on PC for decades now and we still live.

I think the issue is that, until Dark Souls III, the physics in Souls games were tied to the framerate, and so putting someone running at 60fps against another player at 30fps might pose problems.

Then again, I don't remember Dark Souls on PC showing too many problems in that respect, so maybe it wouldn't actually be much of a barrier for Bloodborne.

They'd be smart to do it. It would boost sales of the game for people buying a playstation for the first time. "Bloodborne available for ps pro" etc etc.

It's been on sale for $14.99 already. Sony has wrung almost all the money out of it they ever will, patch or no patch.

bargeparty

K... but that's not the PS ecosystem and that's not what Sony has communicated soo... it doesn't matter what PC has been doing.

I'm a bit surprised people expected a patch for it. They never fixed the frame pacing in the original, why would they go to the lengths of upgrading it?

I warned you guys already that if FROM couldn't be bothered to fix the frame-pacing issues in the game, they would most certainly not be bothered to patch for the PS4Pro.

SkylineRKR

Bloodborne is out of the question for me but DS3, why not. There will be an edition with DLC packs included after all.

On the bright side, a Bloodborne remaster on the PS5 could happen!

I think you are joking, but there is a sad truth to this mentality... People anticipating remasters for the future console... I'd rather have a proper franchise reboot than a remaster of an old game.

I think the issue is that, until Dark Souls III, the physics in Souls games were tied to the framerate, and so putting someone running at 60fps against another player at 30fps might pose problems.

Then again, I don't remember Dark Souls on PC showing too many problems in that respect, so maybe it wouldn't actually be much of a barrier for Bloodborne.

This would be the actual problem. It definitely did cause weird, game breaking bugs to occur when running at 60fps, so it isn't something most people advised. That said, do we actually know if the framerate is tied to physics in Bloodborne? Perhaps they said something to that effect (And it would makes sense given that other games in the series did it), but without a PC version, I'm not sure we really know that.

If it is the case though, that would absolutely be a good reason not to patch it to a higher FPS.

You can say the same about the other games they're patching.

Sure. The patching is either due to 1.) Wanting a technical showpiece for the improvement, 2.) Wanting to sell upcoming DLC or versions of the game, or 3.) Wanting to build up the brand for future iterations of the series.

I'm not sure if Bloodborne could fall under any of those categories (Thought I'd love it to fall under the third), so the benefit to From and Sony seems minimal at best.

I warned you guys already that if FROM couldn't be bothered to fix the frame-pacing issues in the game, they would most certainly not be bothered to patch for the PS4Pro.

I'm a bit surprised people expected a patch for it. They never fixed the frame pacing in the original, why would they go to the lengths of upgrading it?

Come on guys, don't echo chamber this thing to oblivion.

They're not the same thing. They could even decide to add a whole bunch of PS4 Pro features and still not fix the frame-pacing. The fact that it's still in DS3 tells me it's more complicated than any old simple fix. Or maybe FROM just sucks at framerates.

In any case, stop acting like a Pro patch and frame-pacing are joined at the hip.

What benefit will they get from a pro patch? Majority of people who wanted Bloodborne have got it.

I can understand first party games getting patched and improved. People need to realise there is no incentive for a third party to go back and patch it.

What benefit will they get from a pro patch? Majority of people who wanted Bloodborne have got it.

I can understand first party games getting patched and improved. People need to realise there is no incentive for a third party to go back and patch it.

Bloodborne was a joint Sony and From project, so it stands to reason it falls under the first party umbrella. It's a great game, so I think people would just love a reason to play it again in an improved fashion (Better framerate, better fidelity, potentially even extra features).

But wanting that doesn't really equate to profits for either From or Sony unless they think it's going to push PS4 Pros (I'm sure some would think it would, but it's an older game at this point alread, so that seems unlikely).

I think it's coming

Hope springs eternal.

Bloodborne is published by Sony and co-developed by Sony Japan. Therefore, it's actually quite reasonable to expect a Pro patch.

With the effort third parties are putting in, I feel like Sony should patch all AAA first-party titles at the very least.

Don't forget, they're patching games like inFAMOUS too, and no one was expecting any major future sales for those games..

Bloodborne was a joint Sony and From project, so it stands to reason it falls under the first party umbrella. It's a great game, so I think people would just love a reason to play it again in an improved fashion (Better framerate, better fidelity, potentially even extra features).

But wanting that doesn't really equate to profits for either From or Sony unless they think it's going to push PS4 Pros (I'm sure some would think it would, but it's an older game at this point alread, so that seems unlikely).

Hope springs eternal.
Old Sony games like Uncharted 4, Last of Us Remastered, inFAMOUS are all receiving Pro patches!

Bloodborne is published by Sony and co-developed by Sony Japan. Therefore, it's actually quite reasonable to expect a Pro patch.

With the effort third parties are putting in, I feel like Sony should patch all AAA first-party titles at the very least.

Don't forget, they're patching games like inFAMOUS too, and no one was expecting any major future sales for those games..

Old Sony games like Uncharted 4, Last of Us Remastered, inFAMOUS are all receiving Pro patches!

Uncharted is certainly a series we will see again.
The Last of Us is certainly an IP we will see again.
Infamous is certainly a series we will see again.
They can function both as technical show pieces and investments in a long term brand.

Bloodborne? Who knows. It required Sony and a third party to make an exclusive deal together. It's happened before, it could happen again, but there are no guarantees. As of now, I would assume this is a one-off game.

Ferr986

They're not the same thing. They could even decide to add a whole bunch of PS4 Pro features and still not fix the frame-pacing. The fact that it's still in DS3 tells me it's more complicated than any old simple fix. Or maybe FROM just sucks at framerates.

In any case, stop acting like a Pro patch and frame-pacing are joined at the hip.

True, but we also should stop with the "pro patches only requires 1-2 guys".

That ND or Guerrilla can do a patch with 2 guys doesnt mean every dev can and/or every game is as easy to do so.

HeelPower

BB theoretically has a much higher chance than DS3.

The game is a successful exclusive made in collaboration with Sony Japan.

Uncharted is certainly a series we will see again.
The Last of Us is certainly an IP we will see again.
Infamous is certainly a series we will see again.
They can function both as technical show pieces and investments in a long term brand.

Bloodborne? Who knows. It required Sony and a third party to make an exclusive deal together. It's happened before, it could happen again, but there are no guarantees. As of now, I would assume this is a one-off game.
Probably, yeah. That's a good thing too, in my opinion!

But Bloodborne is considered to be one of the all-time greats. Many people are vying for a Pro patch, especially 'hardcore gamers'. And that's exactly the crowd they have in mind for the PS4 Pro. Given the fact/rumour that it supposedly requires minimal workforce to implement Pro features (especially basic ones like a higher resolution), I think it's a shoe-in.

True, but we also should stop with the "pro patches only requires 1-2 guys".

That ND or Guerrilla can do a patch with 2 guys doesnt mean every dev can and/or every game is as easy to do so.

That's fair. Truth is, we don't precisely know how much effort it takes to implement these things. Even so, Bloodborne Pro support should be a focus for Sony imo.

I'm not implying anything of the tech side. What I'm saying is I don't feel like FromSoft will put in the time unless they stand to profit from it. DS3 could have used a patch like DS2 got to flesh out some areas that felt very shallow but it never did. I don't think they will do anything unless it has an extra price tag attached to it. I'm not saying they're greedy either, just business. They don't need to, it probably won't make much difference to their profits and their time is generally better spent on the paid DLC for DS3 and working on the next projects they have planned.

The only way I could see it feasibly happening is if Sony Japan handled it entirely, but even then it would be little more than a courteous gesture.

Persona7

Banned
BB theoretically has a much higher chance than DS3.

The game is a successful exclusive made in collaboration with Sony Japan.

Bloodborne hasn't been in active development since the last patch. Dark Souls 3 is still in active development and has several patches and DLC content in the works. I think that Dark Souls 3 has a much higher chance.

Top Bottom