• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne PS Pro patch isn't happening, is it?

Probably, yeah. That's a good thing too, in my opinion!

But Bloodborne is considered to be one of the all-time greats. Many people are vying for a Pro patch, especially 'hardcore gamers'. And that's exactly the crowd they have in mind for the PS4 Pro. Given the fact/rumour that it supposedly requires minimal workforce to implement Pro features (especially basic ones like a higher resolution), I think it's a shoe-in.

That's a fair argument, but I think the problem is that it appeals to something that's less financially definitive. If you're looking at a studio with limited time, money, personnel, etc., even if it would only take 2 developers to make a PS4 Pro patch (Which I find specious anyway, but regardless), I think it's good to consider what that boardroom pitch looks like:

A: I want to make a PS4 Pro patch.
B: But sales have already tailed off and the price of the game has dropped, so the profit margins are extremely slim. We have no plans to do additional DLC. Why should we do this?
A: It's one of the great games on the PS4 and fans love it. Fans would be thrilled if we did this.
B: Let me rephrase, how will this make us money? How will we recoup the investment of time and resources to make the patch?
A: It won't be a big investment.
B: Even so, how do we recoup it? Those people won't be able to work on our next title while they're doing it either.
A: But, it's a great game! It'll be positive PR!
B: I appreciate the fire. The answer is, no. Now, let's talk about our current project...

All of that is simply to say, I don't think it's a straightforward argument to make when there aren't clear financial benefits. Even if Sony footed the bill, From would likely still have to provide the resources to make it happen, and they may simply not be interested in doing so.

Don't get me wrong. Bloodborne has become my favorite of the Souls games, and that series is one of my favorite series. I simply don't think fandom is enough to push the patch in and of itself. I certainly hope it will happen; I just don't think it will.

lilltias

The one game that would make me upgrade to a Pro. Sony should pay for it, it would sell systems. Also it would sell more games and add goodwill across the board.

usp84

Probably not.

But what a missed oppurtunity it will be.I don't know if a 60fps patch is even possible but it would be so good

Shredderi

It's propably the game from sony's lineup that needs it the most, so yeah it propably ain't coming. I really wish From gave more fucks about technical aspects :/

It's propably the game from sony's lineup that needs it the most, so yeah it propably ain't coming. I really wish From gave more fucks about technical aspects :/

I don't think FromSoftware has any say here. Even if they did and refused to put in the work, Japan Studio could easily do it.

Lucreto

It still might happen. We know little about what titles will receive the update.

Sony's focus so far was VR with it out now we will hear more about the Pro.

Alo0oy

Banned
Is it actually a myth? How many successful games or franchises don't sell the majority of their copies in the beginning?

Almost none? Can you name a game or franchise that actually sold the majority of its copies in its first week? Certainly not Call of Duty, or GTA, or Uncharted, or any successful game I can think of.

Resident Evil 6 did though, but there's a reason for that, that's what you can call a front loaded title, and even that game had some legs to sell an additional 2 million or so after the launch window. It's just a myth that came about because first month sales are really high, but then those games end up selling lower quantities over a long period of time that isn't easily tracked by the average GAFer on NPD.

Let's use Bloodborne as an example, it sold 1 million in its first week, and then doubled its sales numbers by the end of the Summer, and it most likely tripled if not more by now, even though it didn't "chart" much of anywhere after the first few weeks.

horkrux

That's a fair argument, but I think the problem is that it appeals to something that's less financially definitive. If you're looking at a studio with limited time, money, personnel, etc., even if it would only take 2 developers to make a PS4 Pro patch (Which I find specious anyway, but regardless), I think it's good to consider what that boardroom pitch looks like:

But we're talking about Sony here. They can patch Bloodborne not only to sell more copies (which might not work out), but rather to sell more Pros. I bought a PS4 for it, I might have bought a Pro for it.

butman

The only real improvement that Bloodborne needs is that it run at locked 60 fps.
Sorry but PRO can't save us.

Amirnol

It would convince me to buy a Pro if it does. Would be a serious missed opportunity if it doesn't. All PS4 exclusives should get Pro support. Anything multiplatform receiving Pro support I would just buy on PC anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
same this is probably the only game that would convince me to buy one. bloodborne is right now the only game i can't get on PC. would love to play it at 60fps.
Given that this is from, the animations are likely tired to the frame rate so a frame rate increase would break the game.

Solrac

so, from software doesn't even fix frame packing and some dudes expect to have a patch with better graphics and high frames ?

ok

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Let's wait until the system is out before we say anything isn't happening.

If a bunch of us buy the pro, and games with pro patches see sales bumps, we will get more pro patches.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
This is the one thing that would get me to order a PS4 Pro within a minute of knowing it, but I don't expect it. Dark Souls III might do it it though.

Fireflu

This was the very thing I was waiting for in order to justify getting as PS4 pro.

As the chances of ever getting one are basically nil, so are my chances of getting a pro.

Kaisos

Why does 60fps matter in a game that was designed to be played at 30? I've played at least a few hours of all the Souls games and I don't even notice a difference even though Bloodborne runs at half the rate, so...

preta

Why does 60fps matter in a game that was designed to be played at 30? I've played at least a few hours of all the Souls games and I don't even notice a difference even though Bloodborne runs at half the rate, so...

You honestly don't think Bloodborne feels more sluggish to control than the others?

You didn't notice a difference playing, say, Dark Souls on PS3 vs Dark Souls on PC?

The game obviously wasn't made with PC in mind, but you can't tell me with a straight face that Blightown on PS3 was "how the game was designed to be played". I didn't have much trouble with Bloodborne, but a higher frame rate is never really a bad thing.

AmyS

You didn't notice a difference playing, say, Dark Souls on PS3 vs Dark Souls on PC?

The game obviously wasn't made with PC in mind, but you can't tell me with a straight face that Blightown on PS3 was "how the game was designed to be played". I didn't have much trouble with Bloodborne, but a higher frame rate is never really a bad thing.

This. So much this.

same this is probably the only game that would convince me to buy one. bloodborne is right now the only game i can't get on PC. would love to play it at 60fps.

Me 3. I was psyched about this and a Witcher 3 Pro update. Figured both are no-brainers. Nope. I would have def jumped on a Pro at launch if one or both of these was slated to receive a patch.

There's very little incentive. If anything, I could see it coming for DS3, simply to help push DLC, but since we haven't heard anything about that, I see no reason why a BB patch would be forthcoming.

There is lots of incentive. A popular to hardcore game that is second party, one of the most high profile and well regarded exclusives. It has a huge overlap with those that would consider the Pro.

You honestly don't think Bloodborne feels more sluggish to control than the others?

Honestly? Nope. The games are too slow paced for me to care. It takes something like f-zero or sonic generations for the difference to be something I can care about.

There is lots of incentive. A popular to hardcore game that is second party, one of the most high profile and well regarded exclusives. It has a huge overlap with those that would consider the Pro.
None of those are an incentive to from though. The only thing that would matter to them is either Sony dropping off a big sack of cash to produce a patch or having reason to think that there are enough people that would buy the game only if they patch the game to pay for it.

Honestly? Nope. The games are too slow paced for me to care. It takes something like f-zero or sonic generations for the difference to be something I can care about.

None of those are an incentive to from though. The only thing that would matter to them is either Sony dropping off a big sack of cash to produce a patch or having reason to think that there are enough people that would buy the game only if they patch the game to pay for it.

Sony would get easy returns if they pay their second party devs to bring over their high profile releases. Bloodborne is important and it would bring a lot of coverage regarding the Pro.

From would get incentive due to being contracted by Sony.
I'm confident it will be announced.

Yeah its a reason I did not preorder a pro. I've been sitting on my copy of BB for a year (work has gotten in the way, but getting to it soon!) and I was hoping BB would be the reason along with XV to go in for a Pro. Same with Dark Souls 3 while were at it.

Without it, I'm playing the "eh I can wait" game with pro.

I think Bloodborne and Dark Souls III have an equally low chance of getting PS4 Pro patches. 10% chance each.

Bloodborne is older, but exclusive to PS4. DS3 is newer, but is on 3 platforms.

Wait, did that make any sense? Haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Just do it FROM.

They have more to gain by upgrading DS3 if they had to choose one. There's two DLC packs coming still, and they can bring enhancements from the PC version. The number of people that would buy a Pro for Bloodborne can't be worth the investment at this stage outside of dedicated forum users like us.

bbalde

Like some people said, let them focus on BB2. Games that are still charting have more chance to have a Pro patch.

LordOfChaos

60 fps Bloodborne would alone be almost enough to get a PS Pro :p

30% higher clocked equivalent CPU cores...60fps ports would either mean the CPU was previously sitting idle a great deal of the time (and that would be surprising on still performance dipping Bloodborne), or a major rewrite of the game to squeeze more out of the CPU.

I just don't think it'll be often in the cards for the hardware we're being given.

I wonder if our best hope is an unlocked framerate, as that removed the frame pacing issue on DS3 on PC over the 30fps lock. We'd get screen tear, but I'd take that for the faster controlls and no microstuttering.

Kaisos

No, not at all. The animations and controls were designed around a 30fps experience, so why would I?

The game obviously wasn't made with PC in mind, but you can't tell me with a straight face that Blightown on PS3 was "how the game was designed to be played".

Blighttown's framerate is terrible but part of that is because the enormous dips are unintended for. Nothing in Bloodborne is that bad or that low.

Top Bottom