• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Update (1.03) available

Lombax

Banned
latest

My cannon...

The real Bloodborne starts now.

Gbraga

FROM still salty that speedrunners clowned then with the DS2 parry-roll skip.

Not even just about speedruns this time. Speedrunners will adapt and change their route and keep running, but many interesting builds that were only possible in early game because of this skip are no longer possible. This game is very limited in the amount of options you have for early game weapons compared to something like Dark Souls, now if you want a Reiterpallasch run, you have to play half the game before you can start your run.

The amount of stuff you could get earlier for interesting playthroughs was vastly improved by that skip.

But oh well, what can we do.

Some guy in the official thread said that the moon dissapeared when beating
Vicar Amelia
after using the glitch, and i think he said that he couldnt continue after that. Although i never followed up on that conversation though, so maybe he found a way to progress regardless.

Beating her doesn't change the sky, the adage does, just don't get the cutscene and everything will keep working fine.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Same here. Keep hearing people complain about it like it's some deal breaking thing, but nobody can explain what it is lol.

I'm no expert, but I think the basic gist is: the game runs at 30 frames per second. Frame pacing concerns the regularity of each of these frames. As an extreme example, you could have one frame taking half a second, then the other 29 frames squeezed into the other half, which would look like a juddery mess - even though there are still 30 frames being displayed within that second. With a 30fps game, I think each frame should be displayed for 33.33 milliseconds - if that timing is off, even though the game is technically running at 30 frames every second, it will still look a little juddery in motion.

There was a note up on the wall, so either that note was there pre-patch or they made it more difficult to make the jump. I only tested it for 10 minutes and couldn't get up there.
I put a note on the fence before the patch. >_>

But not having the skip anymore means you can't do stuff like
go to Cainhurst early or collect Twin Shards before the game would normally allow you.
But oh well, what can we do.
Would it be possible to rollback the patch and create a save file that opens the shortcut the skip allows you to unlock?

Would I also be able to backup that save file so I can pull it up whenever I want to start a fresh file that takes advantage of the skip?

Dmonzy

Would it be possible to rollback the patch and create a save file that opens the shortcut the skip allows you to unlock?

Would I also be able to backup that save file so I can pull it up whenever I want to start a fresh file that takes advantage of the skip?

You'd have to delete Bloodborne off your PS4 and re-download it, and once the update pops up cancel it. Then just play the game in offline mode and it will be vanilla BB.

You can backup your save to the cloud to use whenever you wish.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ahh weird. Just a few hours ago I took down
Amelia
and then
the Witches
and also
Martyr Logarius
and haven't noticed any problems at all. This was post-patch, but on a character that did the skip and echo glitch pre-patch.
Did you beat
Rom
first? I think maybe that was the issue, because when beating
Rom, the sky changes
, and i believe the same happends after beating
Vicar Amelia
. But since the game seems to be programmed for those two sequences to happen in a certain order, something might mess things up if they are being done in reverese.

EDIT: Apparently the
sky doesnt change
when beating
Amelia

Beating her doesn't change the sky, the adage does, just don't get the cutscene and everything will keep working fine.
Oh ok. Some guy said that the moon disappeared, so i assumed that it had something to do with that.

Sequence breaking into Forbidden Woods got removed? Dunno how I feel about that. I liked being able to rush for White Church Set and Graveguard Set with new characters. I don't do the echoes glitch.
Any word on if characters who did the skip get affected by this patch in a negative way?

dmr87

Same here. Keep hearing people complain about it like it's some deal breaking thing, but nobody can explain what it is lol.

Eurogamer said:
And yet something is awry when playing Bloodborne. Its sub-30fps frame-rate drops may be infrequent, but on close analysis the bigger issue here is in its frame-pacing. As it turns out, From Software's implementation of a 30fps cap means that, as promised, we do get an average refresh at that number near-constantly throughout Yharnam city. The problem? As we've seen with the launch builds of Need for Speed: Rivals and Destiny, an incorrect ordering of frames can cause a nasty stuttering to motion.

Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. It's not smooth in motion at all as a result, and frame-time updates swing erratically between 16ms and 66ms - and sometimes higher. It's an unfortunate oversight by From Software. However, we have seen both Bungie and EA Gothenburg react to the issue in each case, correcting their games soon after launch. We hope this will be the case for Bloodborne as well.

bombshell

I posted this in the OT as well a bit earlier today:

A 30 fps framerate is to provide 30 unique frames per second. According to Digital Foundry's analysis, Bloodborne does a very good job at this.

However, correct framepacing is to make sure each frame is on the screen for the same amount of time, 33.33 ms per frame for a 30 fps game. Bloodborne has a problem with this, which results in judder even when the game is providing the correct 30 unique frames per second.

PigzFly

Did you beat
Rom
first? I think maybe that was the issue, because when beating
Rom, the sky changes
, and i believe the same happends after beating
Vicar Amelia
. But since the game seems to be programmed for those two sequences to happen in a certain order, something might mess things up if they are being done in reverese.

EDIT: Apparently the
sky doesnt change
when beating
Amelia

Oh ok. Some guy said that the moon disappeared, so i assumed that it had something to do with that.

No, I ran through the game in the somewhat intended order and haven't made it to
Shadow of Yharnam or Rom

Sequence breaking into Forbidden Woods got removed? Dunno how I feel about that. I liked being able to rush for White Church Set and Graveguard Set with new characters. I don't do the echoes glitch.
Any word on if characters who did the skip get affected by this patch in a negative way?

The only skip character I have played post-patch seems to be okay.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are there videos of what it should look like without the frame pacing issues? the problem is that the average person probably just writes it off as your typical frame rate issues on consoles. the actual result to visuals and controls doesn't sound like it'd be too different from if the game was just dropping frames?

Teletraan1

Banned
Will wait to buy until frame pacing is sorted out. That shit drives me crazy and I will never finish this game if it is present. I have a few console games with poor frame pacing that I did not care to finish. I dont feel like adding another to the list even though I really want to play this. No excuse on fixed hardware period.

Great news! Looking forward to my second playthrough, I swapped over to DS2 once I heard there was a patch coming in for Bloodborne.

Mogwai

Will wait to buy until frame pacing is might be sorted out. That shit drives me crazy and I will never finish this game if it is present. I have a few console games with poor frame pacing that I did not care to finish. I dont feel like adding another to the list even though I really want to play this. No excuse on fixed hardware period.
Fixed it for you.

Happy waiting.

Adam Blue

Ugh, I wish they were able to fix the rest mode issue in a way that didn't essentially turn off suspend/resume. That's actually really disappointing.

It's the patch that fixes load times, but also adds load times lol

Man...I loved being able to resume. Even hiding somewhere and having to jet. I've had the game disconnect on me, take me to the main menu, but then also bring me back to the exact same spot. So, I don't exactly get how this game works in that regard - even on my NG++.

Seems like an odd way to fix an online issue, but during the main development of Bloodborne, the PS4 didn't even have this feature.

Zaventem

I don't really see the problem. Cannon is still a power house you just have to use it carefully now. They need to fix the rifle spear BS though.

Paskil

Y'all scrubs need to quit dying so much. I don't understand the complaints about the load times. Never seen 'em, trollface.jpg.

Seriously though, this is cool, but almost at the platinum trophy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Will wait to buy until frame pacing is sorted out. That shit drives me crazy and I will never finish this game if it is present. I have a few console games with poor frame pacing that I did not care to finish. I dont feel like adding another to the list even though I really want to play this. No excuse on fixed hardware period.
I have a feeling it isn't going to be fixed. I'm not sure if they're just not seeing it or if they really can't solve it but it's very annoying.

I will say that, despite the fact that it drives me nuts, I've still managed to have a really good time with the game. It's good enough to overcome that but, man, it really could use a fix.

It's definitely not related to background streaming or demands on the system either. If you go to Hunter's Dream and stand in the middle spinning the camera you'll find that every 5 seconds or so you get a couple seconds of messed up frame times.

Interfectum

Man...I loved being able to resume. Even hiding somewhere and having to jet. I've had the game disconnect on me, take me to the main menu, but then also bring me back to the exact same spot. So, I don't exactly get how this game works in that regard - even on my NG++.

Seems like an odd way to fix an online issue, but during the main development of Bloodborne, the PS4 didn't even have this feature.

They probably didn't code in re-authentication functions into Bloodborne for when the PS4 goes from suspend to resume. Doing so now would require quite a bit of testing so kicking you back out to the title screen is easiest way to handle that.

LiK

Well for me and my buds they were like 40-50 seconds before.

So them being 30-35 is still not great

the numbers still seem high but I think it'll be quite noticeable during gameplay. going into Hunter's Dream should be super fast now since loading for that wasn't so bad compared to normal areas.

Load times were never more than 25 seconds for me. Not sure the reasoning on it but now I'm expecting near instant load times :x

Same here. I've never experienced 30+ second load times. Warping to Hunter's Dream was always speedy and took less than 10 seconds.

nib95

Banned
Lol that cannon nerf. The thing is useless outside of PvP and NG anyway so I don't even care.

I might not update until I've beaten the Chalices because of it. Is the game still playable without the update? Also, presumably there is a way to turn off auto updates?

khaaan

I'm assuming reduced by 5 to 15 seconds, right? Reduced to seems like wishful thinking.

Edit: I should read the thread more.

Top Bottom