• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: iPad 3 in March with retina display, quad core chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is a gaming handheld device. Other is a tablet. Does not compute.

Apple fanboys, what are you gona do.

The display sounds cool, the way it's worded suggests less than 1080 p though (rumors earlier were 2400xsomething something res or something ridiculous like that), not that 720p + isn't nice on a tiny screen.

I wonder how laggy and blurry the panel will be :\

MontTrain

Banned

The display sounds cool, the way it's worded suggests less than 1080 p though (rumors earlier were 2400xsomething something res or something ridiculous like that), not that 720p + isn't nice on a tiny screen.

I wonder how laggy and blurry the panel will be :

Yeah cause Apple displays are normally laggy and blurry right lol

They never release things that are half baked unlike the competition...

Dragon

Banned
Doesn't matter. If the rumors are true, I will pick this up instead of the Vita. Others will too. This is the problem Sony is going to have to overcome.

They're not going to overcome it.

The iPad can do more and less than the Vita. They aren't products going head to head at all.

The only question is what pricing strategy Apple with take with the iPad2. Do they go after the Kindle Fire $199 (hit around $299) or do they get even more creative with carrier bundles and such.

It will drop to 399 (like the iPad 1 last year) I think.

Snaku

Banned
My first tablet, and my first iOS device. I've already got 30+ apps ready to go. Let's do this shit, Apple!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The new display is capable of greater resolution than the current iPad, with more pixels on its screen than some high- definition televisions, the person said. The pixels are small enough to make the images look like printed material, according to the person. Videos begin playing almost instantly because of the additional graphics processing, the person said.

That is not screaming retina display to me.

Sure it is getting a resolution bump, but it sounds like 4:3 with 1440 x 1080 more than anything high pixel density related.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

In my palm there is a face.

I hope this news is true. My first gen iPad, which I still love, is starting to get slow and laggy running more recent games and apps.

MontTrain

Banned
All lcd screens are laggy and blurry it wasn't a stab at apple it was a stab at lcd tech.

Yeah there are inherent design flaws with LCD but I can't say I've perceptively noticed them on my devices / TVs. It would be nicer if it was OLED but I presume it would be to expensive. Maybe in a couple of years.

What are the chances of the iPad 3 having Siri?

High. I expect all their devices to have it in 2012, and the iPhone 4 to get it in an OS update at some point. But remember, Siri only works when connected to the internet.

anyway, GG competition. Apple wins 2012 going away.

You, my friend, are fucked in the head if you think there's a possibility of that.

Sky Chief

Jesus. Already making all of the CES tablets obsolete.

I don't know about that, the 1080p ASUS Transformer Prime and the 7" ASUS quad core still look very competitive.

do you guys drop your last version of iPad and buy a new one?

Yeah, I gave my iPad to my Dad and will give my iPad 2 to my sister.

Welp, I'm in. First IOS device purchase!

Where's the best place to order an Apple product at launch? On the internet I mean. USA.

Walmart is great. I ordered from their website Site to Store on launch day after Apple.com was already giving 2-3 week shipping estimates and had it a couple days later before anyone who ordered from Apple.com got theirs (even the people who stayed up until midnight). No shipping either because it was Site to Store.

I am most excited about retina screen and LTE. LTE is just amazing, on my Galaxy Nexus I don't even use WiFi, it's too slow! ;)

For sure buying. I expected to be disappointed with having to settle with an iPhone 4S compared to an iPhone 5, and really the phone has been great in every way. So even if this isn't a major overhaul, I'll still be happy. Can't wait.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Even as an Android fanboy, I look forward to what they have to offer - but I hope it's most than just higher resolution and quad core. Because, well... that's nothing special in the tablet game right now. I've kind of gotten used to Apple pushing the envelope.

Oppo

They're not going to overcome it.

The iPad can do more and less than the Vita. They aren't products going head to head at all.

I agree. And I like what I see of the Vita. But if that iPad 3 has a retina display and a quad core proc... then my money will go to upgrading my iPad 1 rather than the Vita. I will simply use it more, personally speaking.

giga

That is not screaming retina display to me.

Sure it is getting a resolution bump, but it sounds like 4:3 with 1440 x 1080 more than anything high pixel density related.
That's not. But this is:

"The pixels are small enough to make the images look like printed material, according to the person"

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
64GB day one.

I imagine they'll keep the same pricing structure as the iPad2 currently has ($499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB, add $130 for cellular data), and sell a base 8GB or 16GB model iPad2 for $299.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
That's not. But this is:

"The pixels are small enough to make the images look like printed material, according to the person"

That's kinda PR talk though. I wouldn't get hopes up until a more spec oriented leak makes it out.

R2D4

Banned
If you are already a Verizon customer can you get an LTE iPad added to your account and can it use the same data plan as your iPhone? Or do you have to pay a separate amount for the iPad's data?

muu

There's one part of me saying this is awesome and another part realizing I don't do much on the ipad that really warrants a retina screen. I guess I'll have to see if it'll make bookreading easier on the eyes w/ the smoother text, frankly the 1024x768 screen is good enough for most websites and I really can't tell the res penalty w/ the 720P/DVD quality videos I watch on it.

Then again, for 700 bucks (minus however much I get back from a 64GB ipad2) there isn't too much to lose.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sweet! I'll put my iPad 2 up for sale the beginning of march. I might order the ipad3 online or if I can't take a day off and wait in line.

I'm more excite for what the A6 chip can do than the retina display.

Phoenix

I agree. And I like what I see of the Vita. But if that iPad 3 has a retina display and a quad core proc... then my money will go to upgrading my iPad 1 rather than the Vita. I will simply use it more, personally speaking.

The biggest issue this has is that Apple hasn't really introduced any official gaming accessories for the iOS line when really they should. That's the secret sauce missing in them REALLY being a strong gaming platform. You can't depend on touch and accelerometer for all your gaming use cases.

popeutlal

If you are already a Verizon customer can you get an LTE iPad added to your account and can it use the same data plan as your iPhone? Or do you have to pay a separate amount for the iPad's data?
Each device requires a separate data plan.

Phoenix

Separate today, though there are talks about plans for multiple devices and family data plans. Given that Verizon is about to require LTE for all their new devices I think we're about to see some innovation in the business model around data plans.

Sky Chief

What was Apple.com preorders like for iPad2?

I'm recommending one to my Grandma...lol.

This is what I already wrote, they started selling at midnight PST and by the time I woke up and went to order they were already saying 2-3 weeks waiting time. Walmart, on the other hand, got me one within a matter of days.

Walmart is great. I ordered from their website Site to Store on launch day after Apple.com was already giving 2-3 week shipping estimates and had it a couple days later before anyone who ordered from Apple.com got theirs (even the people who stayed up until midnight). No shipping either because it was Site to Store.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The biggest issue this has is that Apple hasn't really introduced any official gaming accessories for the iOS line when really they should. That's the secret sauce missing in them REALLY being a strong gaming platform. You can't depend on touch and accelerometer for all your gaming use cases.

On screen d-pads work for me. I've already canceled my vita preorder, I'm focusing on an ipad3, iPhone 5 and a new car this year.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is what I already wrote, they started selling at midnight PST and by the time I woke up and went to order they were already saying 2-3 weeks waiting time. Walmart, on the other hand, got me one within a matter of days.
Awesome.

So, all the 12am midnighters probably had to deal with website errors for a while right?

reKon

Banned
I thought there were Android tablets coming this year that would basically match these specs? I don't follow tablets as much so forgive me here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom