• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: iPad 3 in March with retina display, quad core chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fucking this! Artists kept Apple from completely collapsing in the 90's. Throw us a freaking bone!

Of course nothing pisses me off more than when I see a comment like "Ewww stylus, wtf" when a tablet pc with one gets show on engadget or Gizmodo.

Pretty much. Say what you will about android tablets, at least I get an option there.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
One is a gaming handheld device. Other is a tablet. Does not compute.

one is exorbitantly expensive and one isn't. and i'm not talking about a fresh and new iPad since that one is 700+ dollars.

newsflash folks. there will always be a new version of the iPad out and they'll always keep the same price line. It will never REALLY drop in price. Clearance models are only temporary flushing out of stock.

LQX

I doubt it is retina display. the machine won't be able to drive that resolution and sustain its excellent battery life.

I know the iPod Touch is much smaller but get some great battery life with it. Also it is almost a given the iPad would eventually get display upgraded especially after the last one didn't.

Al-ibn Kermit

Right, and come March, they'll be obsolete.

I'm pretty sure they have the exact same ARM processors, obviously they'll have LTE which current Android tablets already offer, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were all using the same displays from the same manufacturer.

I think tablets have finally exceeded the hardware requirements for whatever we would actually use them for. At this point it's your decision of OS that's going to make you choose one over the other.

Tobor

Oh god! Who is this Tobor? It feels so odd without the little robot.

And even if there are other tablets that are close spec wise, the ipad3 will crush all in sales.
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

I am most excited about retina screen and LTE. LTE is just amazing, on my Galaxy Nexus I don't even use WiFi, it's too slow! ;)

your home connection must suck then if LTE is faster

not biting on the iPad 3, just got a Nook Color (rooted/installed full honeycomb) and it's just what i wanted right now. We are upgrading our iPhone 4 this year, have a late 09 MBP, a new gaming pc and 2 other laptops in the house, really can't justify the purchase

next year though...it's on

So those with both iPhones and iPads... Is it worth it to have both? Just wondering because I might actually get this new iPad, but I'm afraid that it would be useless since I already have an iPhone 4S.

So those with both iPhones and iPads... Is it worth it to have both? Just wondering because I might actually get this new iPad, but I'm afraid that it would be useless since I already have an iPhone 4S.

For me it's def worth it to own both. The iPhone is a phone and goes everywhere. The iPad is perfect for in the house media consumption, browsing, gameplay, etc. The iPad got me to sell my laptop, and I use my desktop for any serious computing.

I can't imagine being without either.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
does retina refer to a certain level of dpi? if its just the 960x640 resolution or whatever thatd be pisspoor for a tablet

Raistlin

Next gen wireless? I didn't realize 11ac would be landing in products this fast. Sweet. One thing not mentioned though is an increase in RAM. This shit better have a ton of memory.

The iPad3 is going to be absurdly powerful.
Define powerful? All we know is it's a quad-core ... there's plenty of quad-core tablets hitting

Right, and come March, they'll be obsolete.
lol

So will 2012 and Quad Cores be the year where we stop adding more cores to cellphones and tablets by 2x, and start raising core frequencies? I wonder if RAM doubling will finally slow down, too? I feel like it would take forever to hit 2GB of RAM on a tablet device. Or maybe 2012 is the year when tablet applications start to commonly rival desktop apps?

Tobor

Next gen wireless? I didn't realize 11ac would be landing in products this fast. Sweet. One thing not mentioned though is an increase in RAM. This shit better have a ton of memory.

Define powerful? All we know is it's a quad-core ... there's plenty of quad-core tablets hitting.
There were tons of dual core tablets last year, none of which could match the A5 in the iPad 2. None of the ones announced at CES will be able to top the A6. Bet on it.

For me it's def worth it to own both. The iPhone is a phone and goes everywhere. The iPad is perfect for in the house media consumption, browsing, gameplay, etc. The iPad got me to sell my laptop, and I use my desktop for any serious computing.

I can't imagine being without either.

Hmm.. I do need a replacement for my crappy laptop...

I'm sure playing games would be awesome on the iPad 3 too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I really need a new computer. But I just can't commit. Half of me wants to move strictly to iPad and upgrade my current MacBook pro to use as a content server for it. but then there's all these rumors about quad resolution displays coming to the MacBook line.. ugh, just gotta hold on until apples roadmap is clear.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
There were tons of dual core tablets last year, none of which could match the A5 in the iPad 2. None of the ones announced at CES will be able to top the A6. Bet on it.

isnt the a5 800mhz x2? the touchpad gets up to 1.7ghz x2 pretty comfortably. i dont think theres a way to fairly compare the two bench wise but on clock alone id doubt any level of superior architecture could make up for a discrepancy that large.

Al-ibn Kermit

does retina refer to a certain level of dpi? if its just the 960x640 resolution or whatever thatd be pisspoor for a tablet

No.

Retina display means pixels small enough that at 20/20 vision from 1 foot away your eyes could not tell individual pixels apart. It generally means a pixel density of 300 or more pixels per inch. For a 3.5 inch iphone screen, 960X640 gives you about 325 ppi.

So within the next year, there's going to be 1080P 10 inch tablets coming out. At that resolution and at that size of a screen, that comes out to only about 220 ppi.

However, from the OP it sounds like the iPad3 will be a little bit below 1080P, possibly due to the 4:3 dimensions it has. I'm guessing the actual pixel density will be somewhere in the low 200 ppi range.

The display will probably still look great, but I wouldn't really call it "retina" display. No 10 inch tablet on the market within the next year will meet "retina display" standards, but there will actually be other competing tablets with slightly higher resolutions so it might be in Apple's best interest not to throw word "retina display" around anymore.

Barrett2

I will buy the shit out of it if true.

It's insane that Android has absolutely no market-viable answer for the iPad. Holy shit.

isnt the a5 800mhz x2? the touchpad gets up to 1.7ghz x2 pretty comfortably. i dont think theres a way to fairly compare the two bench wise but on clock alone id doubt any level of superior architecture could make up for a discrepancy that large.

I thought that the A5 was ~800MHz on the iPhone and ~1GHz on the iPad?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
No.

Retina display means pixels small enough that at 20/20 vision from 1 foot away your eyes could not tell individual pixels apart. It generally means a pixel density of 300 or more pixels per inch. For a 3.5 inch iphone screen, 960X640 gives you about 325 ppi.

So within the next year, there's going to be 1080P 10 inch tablets coming out. At that resolution and at that size of a screen, that comes out to only about 220 ppi.

However, from the OP it sounds like the iPad3 will be a little bit below 1080P, possibly due to the 4:3 dimensions it has. I'm guessing the actual pixel density will be somewhere in the low 200 ppi range.

The display will probably still look great, but I wouldn't really call it "retina" display. No 10 inch tablet on the market within the next year will meet "retina display" standards, but there will actually be other competing tablets with slightly higher resolutions so it might be in Apple's best interest not to throw word "retina display" around anymore.

cool, ill keep that in mind. thanks!

I've had both, and both have their own uses. If anything the iPad took time away from my macbook pro not my iphone

My thought as well.

And hopefully with the A6 they get the RAM up to 1GB. I am feeling the pain of the 256 on my iPad 1.

I feel like this is a must with the higher resolution alone (not knowing how the iPad allocates VRAM, of course).

I'm thinking 1GB of RAM, Quad Core, allowing for apps such as the iWork suite and iMovie app that is as capable as the desktop versions.

MontTrain

Banned
I've had both, and both have their own uses. If anything the iPad took time away from my macbook pro not my iphone

Yep I only really use my MacBook pro now for strictly laptop things like iTunes, downloading and content streaming to PS3 / iPad.

Everyhing else at home is iPad and when outside iPhone.

zychi

Banned
Each device requires a separate data plan.

With a jailbroken iphone, you can get around this. I've been doing it since iPad 2 release.

e: so if this isn't retina display, its essentailly ipad2S. I hope this rumor is wrong, and the retina display is actually on there. Otherwise I can skip this iteration.

kaskade

Never bought the iPad 2 since it wasn't that different from the original. Buying the shit out of this one though. I might even be able to sell the iPad 1 off to my parents.

Raistlin

First, I was responding to someone stating it would be 'insanely powerful' ... insanely relative to what exactly? None of the dual cores matched the A5, but it wasn't insanely more powerful.

Second, I'm under the impression there are SoC's hitting in 2012 that weren't shown at CES ... so I don't really think we can guarantee the A6 will automatically be more powerful. Manufacturers have been really ramping up their designs because of sales expectation for Android and Win 8 this year. They weren't really competitive or targeting as high of an end because of the market situation of 2011.

This bigger issue though is Android's optimization. Even if a higher end spec is available, I'm not sure it would provide better results. The wildcard here is Win 8. It'll be interesting to see how it performs. Actually speaking of Win 8 ... can you guarantee the A6 will outperform an x86-based SoC?

Tobor

First, I was responding to someone stating it would be 'insanely powerful' ... insanely relative to what exactly? None of the dual cores matched the A5, but it wasn't insanely more powerful.

Second, I'm under the impression there are SoC's hitting in 2012 that weren't shown at CES ... so I don't really think we can guarantee the A6 will automatically be more powerful. Manufacturers have been really ramping up their designs because of sales expectation for Android and Win 8 this year. They weren't really competitive or targeting as high of an end because of the market situation.

This bigger issue though is Android's optimization. Even if a higher end spec is available, I'm not sure it would provide better results. The wildcard here is Win 8. It'll be interesting to see how it performs. Actually speaking of Win 8 ... can you guarantee the A6 will outperform an x86-based SoC?

Your posts are too dense, there's always too much stuff to respond too, lol.

Fair enough on the "insanely" part.

Win 8 X86...will be more powerful, yes. And shit in every other way.

What sales expectations for high end Android tablets? Why would they do any better this year than last?

Al-ibn Kermit

The x86 chips will be more powerful but have lower battery life, some Win8 tablets will have x86 processors and others will have ARM processors depending on your needs as far power, compatibility, and battery life. Different strokes for different folks.

MercuryLS

Banned
As much as I want to love iPad, I have an iPad 2 and don't use it that much. Still prefer a laptop to it for just about every usage case other than long form reading (for that I prefer a kindle to the iPad).

Raistlin

Your posts are too dense, there's always too much stuff to respond too, lol.

Fair enough on the "insanely" part.

Win 8 X86...will be more powerful, yes. And shit in every other way.

What sales expectations for high end Android tablets? Why would they do any better this year than last?
Sales expectations for non-Apple tablets are higher this year than 2011 from all the analysts I've read. More Android tablets, and some Win 8 ones as well.

Part of the issue though is that iPad is targeting a certain pricepoint ... it's unclear how many non-Apple tablets will be targeting that price and higher. Obviously the more targeting a higher price, the more competition, etc. pushing more powerful specs.

Really my point though is the contention that the A6 will automatically beat everything just seems silly. Are you actually arguing that Apple's SoC design is so far beyond everyone else's that they simply can't even compete? History shows that's quite unlikely.

The x86 chips will be more powerful but have lower battery life, some Win8 tablets will have x86 processors and others will have ARM processors depending on your needs as far power, compatibility, and battery life. Different strokes for different folks.
I didn't intend to imply differently

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has confirmed one thing: I fucking hate Apple fanboys.

Fusebox

Banned
If iPad 3 doesn't have retina I might actually be tempted to skip a generation, otherwise day 1 all over my face.

Comics, fuck yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom