• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce 18.7 Billion Yen loss for the fiscal year

Anth0ny

Jesus, I didn't even notice Animal Crossing at 3.86 million. That's way higher than the Media Create numbers, right? Insane.

3DS should easily surpass it's goal with the games they have coming. Wii U... I don't know. 9 million is a lot considering it's current pace. They're going to need a price drop and games games games.

Ty4on

Nintendo hardware and software sales data updated:
i3WYZGVpRLZsk.png

So no Square Enix games on the WiiU possible...

On a serious note the WiiU sales are much higher than I would have guessed. For me it always looked like it would really struggle to reach GameCube numbers, but maybe Nintendo can salvage this one into shallow waters at the very least.

kami_sama

In the image about software sales, there's something that worries me.

While Wii U ratio is about 1:4, or the ds one is about 1:6, the 3ds one is at only 1:3.

Sandfox

Jesus, I didn't even notice Animal Crossing at 3.86 million. That's way higher than the Media Create numbers, right? Insane.

3DS should easily surpass it's goal with the games they have coming. Wii U... I don't know. 9 million is a lot considering it's current pace. They're going to need a price drop and games games games.

They somewhat explain their plans for the Wii U and 3DS for the year in the report but we'll obviously get more info tomorrow.

AniHawk

if they sell 7m wii us between now and next year at this time, i will be kinda surprised. europe is pretty much a dead market, and japan doesn't buy consoles like they used to. that leaves a disproportionate amount of weight on america to pick up the slack. 4m in north america over the next year would basically be what the 3ds looked like last year. but they expect 9m, so another 3m in europe, and 2m in japan? not sure how they expect things to go down.

stryke

So no Square Enix games on the WiiU possible...

On a serious note the WiiU sales are much higher than I would have guessed. For me it always looked like it would really struggle to reach GameCube numbers, but maybe Nintendo can salvage this one into shallow waters at the very least.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are shipped, not sold.

it was a beefy game. i doubt it met their expectations with those numbers.

It's a real shame, but I think you're right. It's a great game overflowing with content. Pit was in Smash Bros. Then they did the AR cards, the stand, the cartoon, and a decent amount of advertising. I saw promotions in Best Buy for the game.

Then again, they greenlit sequels to Sin and Punishment, Excite Truck, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin 2. So if they need a title to fill a release schedule, we may not have seen the last of Pit.

In the image about software sales, there's something that worries me.

While Wii U ratio is about 1:4, or the ds one is about 1:6, the 3ds one is at only 1:3.
I wouldn't read too much into the first tie ratio, as there's probably a channel stuffed with titles that will never sell.

The 3DS ratio should grow over time, the NDS is a mature system. And typically handheld tie ratios are a lot lower than home consoles.

Sandfox

if they sell 7m wii us between now and next year at this time, i will be kinda surprised. europe is pretty much a dead market, and japan doesn't buy consoles like they used to. that leaves a disproportionate amount of weight on america to pick up the slack. 4m in north america over the next year would basically be what the 3ds looked like last year. but they expect 9m, so another 3m in europe, and 2m in japan? not sure how they expect things to go down.

~2m could be possible in Japan depending on the titles if they handle their business post E3 and have a big holiday planned as well.

I don't know what to expect from Europe. I doubt it will do too well in the UK though.

Just reinforces that as mediocre as western publisher support is the Japanese WiiU support is abysmal.

I don't think so. Sure, the Japanese software numbers aren't good, but it's probably because they're all playing Monster Hunter, and that's IT. It was a launch title over there, and knowing how popular it is there, I can see this being a (big) factor.

AniHawk

Thanks for the info! I guess Nintendo can still turn this around.

i mean, it's possible, but microsoft's sales were due to a shortage of supply. they also aggressively and successfully targeted at least one market (north america) during the year they were the only game in town. nintendo has no market anywhere, and the wii u is selling worse every week without any notable software to speak of.

Assuming it will have the same type of software support. Which it won't.

i was joking.

I don't think so. Sure, the Japanese software numbers aren't good, but it's probably because they're all playing Monster Hunter, and that's IT. It was a launch title over there, and knowing how popular it is there, I can see this being a (big) factor.

MH wiiU isn't even at 200k sold yet, less than 1/4 of WiiU ltd in japan. Software isn't selling there because there i no software.

Striek

I'm confused, did Nintendo suffer losses or make profit this year?

They suffered losses on their actual business activities, they had a slight profit on the re-evaluation of the currencies they hold.

Without them actually breaking down their cash reserves its likely they have less money nominally, but combined its worth more in Yen.

They suffered losses on their actual business activities, they had a slight profit on the re-evaluation of the currencies they hold.

Without them actually breaking down their cash reserves its likely they have less money nominally, but combined its worth more in Yen.
In summary, they got lucky with the exchange rate and ended up making a profit this year?

big youth

calling it lucky seems a bit strange. I'd call the last ~4 years bad luck with rediculious exchange rates. things have finally balanced out

spwolf

calling it lucky seems a bit strange. I'd call the last ~4 years bad luck with rediculious exchange rates. things have finally balanced out

yep, Yen at 100 is about normal... however, how are they planning to raise their revenues by 50%? Is it all due to Yen devaluation or? Thats my question.... how do they plan to make 50% more money next year?

big youth

yep, Yen at 100 is about normal... however, how are they planning to raise their revenues by 50%? Is it all due to Yen devaluation or? Thats my question.... how do they plan to make 50% more money next year?

I think the restructuring costs are behind them
Wii U R&D is behind them
Wii U is almost breaking even
3DS sells at a profit and has become a success
Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Tamagotchi, Monster Hunter 4, Mario Kart, the list goes on and on. should be clear sailing

Shiggy

I think the restructuring costs are behind them
Wii U R&D is behind them
Wii U is almost breaking even
3DS sells at a profit and has become a success
Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Tamagotchi, Monster Hunter 4, Mario Kart, the list goes on and on. should be clear sailing

Again, I'm no accounting freak but shouldn't the research costs have been accounted for when in previous years as research happens before a product enters development? I guess development of the Wii U did not just start this year.
And development costs should be depreciated over the useful life of the Wii U, right? So how does it come that R&D costs have a huge impact on profitability this year, if this even is the case?

Serious question here.

Top Bottom