• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce 18.7 Billion Yen loss for the fiscal year

Scum

I fear for the many accounts on GAF if Iwata manages to pull through with his shenanigans and stays for many years to come. :lol

I predict Iwata goes after E3. New CEO debuts with a new vision at TGS.

If Iwata goes, it'll be sometime around March/April next year. Unless, he just ups and leaves by end of the month...

So now that Iwata is leaving, will Nintendo finally scrap Wii U
and give us a new console with true next gen graphics?

And lots of new internally developed IPs with AAA budgets?

Like Assassin's Creed.

Thoraxes

When was the VB as important to Nintendo as the Wii U? Please. As bad as the GC sold, Nintendo didn't cancel it because it would have had terrible repercussions. Cancelling the VB didn't do nearly the damage that cancelling the Wii U would.

Does anyone really think they're going to cancel the Wii U?

Madao

This was the first time Nintendo had to sell their system at a loss? Regardless, look how well it's selling. That should terrify Nintendo. It's one thing to sell a system at a loss and have it sell well, it's another to have it sell as badly as the Wii U.

there's also the fact they spent money in the wrong things, like upgrading the old ass wii hardware to keep BC. had they went with a new and cheaper chipset, they could have had broke even with the same hardware power level.
they need to start by firing their hardware engineers.

onipex

Agreed unless things get much worse somehow which i dont really see how as the 3ds will mitigate some of the damadge wiiu is causing.

Worked for GBA and GameCube. Nintendo needs to get more people in the west buying hardware and software.If they can't do that with the lineup they have this year ( likely a new model too) than I don't think they can do it at all.

All the rest of the people on the planet can think so and it changes nothing of my opinion. I have no idea why people point that out.

It's a flawed neutered release, made worse by it's complete lack of difficulty.

I agree that Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were inferior, but that's just because the leadership in Zelda development has lost their way.

So which one is it, is the Zelda team shit, is the game rushed, or do the games need to be more difficult? Your critique is all over the place.

Shion

This was the first time Nintendo had to sell their system at a loss? Regardless, look how well it's selling. That should terrify Nintendo. It's one thing to sell a system at a loss and have it sell well, it's another to have it sell as badly as the Wii U.

It's even worse when your hardware doesn't sell software.

Because that's where all the revenue comes from.

It's obvious that Nintendo is hoarding a lot of titles for the rest of the year and I'm sure it will benefit them for the third and fourth financial quarters, but lets not try and sweep this current loss under the rug. It speaks dividends to Iwata and the decision makers poor performance.

jett

D-Member
Dear Iwata

ByeBitch.gif

So which one is it, is the Zelda team shit, is the game rushed, or do the games need to be more difficult? Your critique is all over the place.

All of the above. I never said it was one thing.

Is that another tactic to make me look bad? So a lot of people think it's good and I'm not allowed to think there are multiple issues with it. Gotcha.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Even with Iwata's target being for the next fiscal year, going from 18.7 billion net loss to 100 billion net income looks like an even harder stretch goal now. With the Wii U selling as badly as it and a price cut might make the prospects even worse in the short term, I'm not sure he's banking on it.

Everything will ride on the 3DS and its monstrous holiday line-up. No wonder they've been giving it all the attention.

BY2K

Membero Americo
For God's sake, some of you guys are out for fucking blood.

IWATA WON'T LEAVE BEFORE THE END OF FISCAL YEAR 2013! And that's if he doesn't reach his own goal.

TheNatural

My Member!
Horrible. Some Wii U software, even with poor hardware sales, will help them the next fiscal year. I bet they'll recover completely off the backs of a monster 3DS year with Pokemon and other games though.

Is there a decent shot of some announcements regarding future releases tomorrow?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does anyone even care about iwata? Talk about tears of impotent rage. If you are reveling in Nintendo's suckitude, shouldn't you want Iwata to stay so Nintendo continues to suck? Iwata has presided over like the first losses in Nintendo's history. I say promote him!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm not sure what removing Satoru Iwata as CEO accomplishes for the company. There probably isn't anyone internally qualified for the position of being this global ambassador and leader. There is an entire contingency in the Board of Directors making executive and creative decisions for the entire company. Truth be told, they are all 60-75 years old. Not a young globalized group by any means.

Sometimes I think Nintendo's talented development teams persevere despite all the stringent and ancient constructs placed on them by older managers (miyamoto). Sure Miyamoto and Tezuka were great game designers in the 70s and 80s, but times change and people less far removed from current technology, hands-on gaming, and digital trends should have much more autonomy.

Foffy

Banned
Nintendo has enough of a war chest to handle these types of losses for decades, no? Maybe I'm missing the big deal here. Companies, especially lately in this industry, frequently post losses. It's only been in the last two or so years that Nintendo has been posting similar losses, even if they're low scale compared to other companies.

Does anyone really think they're going to cancel the Wii U?

Of course not that goes towards the point I was making. They cancelled the VB 15 years ago (?) because even cancelling it wouldn't be that terrible going forward. It was an embarrassment but it wouldn't cripple the company like cancelling the Wii U potentially would. Nintendo is in a worse spot then they have been in years and years.

This isn't even the same situation as the GC was in because at that time it was only Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. You have many more companies that are trying to compete for them entertainment dollars. Nintendo is also at a disadvantage because the company isn't use to working in HD engines for HD games. The Wii U lacks certain OS features. The account system is lacking.

The 3DS is selling much better but it's not doing well in the U.S. and Europe last I saw. Nintendo is in a worse spot than they have been in a very long time and THAT was the point I was making. Though I do expect going forward the Wii U will improve significantly.

Madao

Seriously, what has he done to piss guys off so much?

let F-Zero die.

for me, that's a good reason for him to get the boot.

I'm not sure what removing Satoru Iwata as CEO accomplishes for the company. There probably isn't anyone internally qualified for the position of being this global ambassador and leader. There is an entire contingency in the Board of Directors making executive and creative decisions for the entire company. Truth be told, they are all 60-75 years old. Not a young globalized group by any means.

Sometimes I think Nintendo's talented development teams persevere despite all the stringent and ancient constructs placed on them by older managers (miyamoto).

how would those get fired?

Seriously, what has he done to piss guys off so much?

Because he's just fucked 2 launches up in the span of less than 2 years and shows no long term vision for the company. It took Nintendo until 2012 to figure out the digital industry was huge and still cant manage an account system. I love Nintendo's games, but they suck as a company right now.

Not trying to make anybody look like anything. What would Nintendo have to do to make an impressive Zelda, in your personal opinion?

Change the team. The Link to the Past was a perfect difficulty and had amazing dungeons. Nintendo is on a jag where difficulty is not their focus so they can focus on a larger casual audience. This isn't a controversial opinion.

Like what you like, but arguing that many like something, or sidestepping by trying to alter the focus by saying my argument is "all over the place" when I never claimed it was a singular issue reflects back on you.

So now that Iwata is leaving, will Nintendo finally scrap Wii U
and give us a new console with true next gen graphics?

And lots of new internally developed IPs with AAA budgets?

Like Assassin's Creed.

The Company That Would Be Sega

Hey guys, you know what we haven't been doing? Spending enough money. Let's recover from a massive loss by scrapping the Wii U we spent millions on, upping the cost of development by a substantial amount for all our titles, and plunge into the crowded tech-race market in a "me too!" movement that would surely give something for Iwata to laugh about in all his spare time.

if the Wii U matched up with the PS4 spec for spec...would it have change anything over the last 6 months? (no)

Edit: so piss poor marketing aside (and that Wii U game release)...what has NCL really done so wrong? Third Party Western support never was gonna happen anyway

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Why does anyone even care about iwata? Talk about tears of impotent rage. If you are reveling in Nintendo's suckitude, shouldn't you want Iwata to stay so Nintendo continues to suck? Iwata has presided over like the first losses in Nintendo's history. I say promote him!
Does Yamauchi have any single daughters?

Top Bottom