• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg Rumor: New Rock Band Coming For Next-Gen Consoles

SFenton

Link to the rumor

Grain of salt, as always, and I'd be stunned if the game didn't hit 360/PS3 as well.
Sorry, Wii/Wii U guys, but I honestly don't think this will hit those consoles.

Backwards-compatible DLC and instruments? Air guitar with Kinect? What do you guys want to see?

pls give me pro guitar with real guitar this time

TI82

Banned
Man, my rock band phase was on 360 and have so much dlc tied to it. I couldn't justify buying it on any other system so I'll probably not play this one now that I'm done with Xbox.

Corpekata

Banned
"Rock Band, the video-game series where players jam along to recorded music, is developing a new title, the first since 2012, according to a person familiar with the plan."

That is one clunky opening.

GulAtiCa

They are already planning it for PS5 and Xbox Two? Talk about planning ahead!

Would love a new Guitar Hero sometime

dugdug

Banned
I don't know, man. Rock Band will always have a special place in my heart, but, that time has passed. Just can't see it being as popular as it once was, ever again.

Good on them for trying though, I suppose. Air guitar sounds really dumb, though.

Davey Cakes

I loved Guitar Hero and Rock Band up until GH3 and RB2/Beatles RB then got burnt out and stopped playing.

Not sure if it's something I NEED to revisit. Kind of like a "had to be there" phenomenon during those years.

It really didn't help that both series were milked to hell and back.

I loved Rock Band but I can't thing of enough songs that would make me want to jump back in. I also can't justify having another set of instruments around the house. I hope it goes well for them though, Fantasia was fantastic.

SFenton

They are already planning it for PS5 and Xbox Two? Talk about planning ahead!

Would love a new Guitar Hero sometime

There's rumor of a new GH from FreeStyleGames. Unsubstantiated, but it would make sense, given their excellent track record on DJ Hero.

Best Rumor I have heard all day, Love Rockband and hope this comes to fruition!

Also there is no competition for this genre (other than Rocksmith which isn't really a direct competitor) so I see no reason why Rockband couldn't flourish right now.

"Rock Band, the video-game series where players jam along to recorded music, is developing a new title, the first since 2012, according to a person familiar with the plan."

That is one clunky opening.

Still not as clunky as the broken-down series that is Guitar Hero: Jed Clampett edition.

I really don't see people jumping back on the plastic instrument train. It felt like it sort of ran it's course last gen before the novelty completely wore off but we'll see.

Rock Band GOAT music game. I've been seriously itching for some music games on PS4/X1 and this is a godsend. Coupled with Amplitude PS4 this could be an amazing year for music games for me.

Raphael

Looking forward to it - many hours well spent with guitar hero. Never had the opportunity to play RB unfortunetly.

SFenton

Rock Band GOAT music game. I've been seriously itching for some music games on PS4/X1 and this is a godsend. Coupled with Amplitude PS4 this could be an amazing year for music games for me.

Yeah buddy. Sucks that Amplitude was delayed to summer. Itching to play it.

If they can do what they did for Dance Central Spotlight DLC for this game, then I'm on board. Make it just like DCS Small download, all DLC so we don't have to buy a new game every year. Backwards compatible instruments would be fantastic.

Meh, I think the fad is far and away done and it likely won't do all that well now, at least if they are going to just try and get people to buy the instruments and everything else again that shit got expensive and takes way to much room in most places to stock properly.

It'll be a hard sell and unless they put like 500+ songs out with the game it'll be very hard to convince people to rebuy dlc they already purchased on the previous generations systems.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'd imagine a game like Rock Band being the worst kept secret ever due to all those licensing deals they have to do.

18-Volt

After Rocksmith, I'm not sure if I want another Rock Band. Ubisoft has nailed the guitar rhythm thing perfectly.

MilesTeg

Banned
Trying to think up some new features here...

A live section where you can jump in and watch people perform online.

A "trending" section that shows which songs are being played the most.

A "head to head" section where, similar to Smash Bros character thing online, you pick which song to play out of a selection of 1-4 songs, most played song wins. Change it up daily or weekly.

A "solos" section where every guitar solo from every song can be played on demand. Not just for practice, you will be graded on these as well. Think of it as almost a mini-game type deal. Other instruments also included.

People who like to sing, the game should record these performances online for people to watch and rate the singing. Maybe we will come across real talent.

There should be some kind of raffle weekly or monthly that people can enter to receive new DLC for free.

After Rocksmith, I'm not sure if I want another Rock Band. Ubisoft has nailed the guitar rhythm thing perfectly.

I'd be happy to have a party rhythm game again where I don't have to learn an instrument to play. There's definitely room for both, they'd complement each other well.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Remember bars would have Guitar Hero/Rock Band nights?

This genre was so big before it committed oversaturation suicide.

I think most of us could have written this article given the news from the past few months or so. Only new thing in here is a confirmation that it's happening from an anonymous source.

FyreWulff

Meh, I think the fad is far and away done and it likely won't do all that well now, at least if they are going to just try and get people to buy the instruments and everything else again that shit got expensive and takes way to much room in most places to stock properly.

It'll be a hard sell and unless they put like 500+ songs out with the game it'll be very hard to convince people to rebuy dlc they already purchased on the previous generations systems.

It's been five years since the last instrument based RB (2010) so there's definitely been some time for everyone to "rest". It's been a standard console-gen gap of time.

There are kids old enough to understand how to play Rock Band that didn't exist or didn't have object permanence when RB3 came out. We have an entire new group of students in colleges. etc.

Rocksmith and RB aren't the same style of game and co-exist quite nicely.

I'm game if they let us use the current peripherals and import at least most of the songs (from disks and DLC purchased)

If I have to start buying from scratch... I don't see myself getting it

FSLink

Banned
Trying to think up some new features here...

A live section where you can jump in and watch people perform online.

A "trending" section that shows which songs are being played the most.

A "head to head" section where, similar to Smash Bros character thing online, you pick which song to play out of a selection of 1-4 songs, most played song wins. Change it up daily or weekly.

A "solos" section where every guitar solo from every song can be played on demand. Not just for practice, you will be graded on these as well. Think of it as almost a mini-game type deal. Other instruments also included.

People who like to sing, the game should record these performances online for people to watch and rate the singing. Maybe we will come across real talent.

There should be some kind of raffle weekly or monthly that people can enter to receive new DLC for free.

These would all be some great new features. I think focusing more on expanding the competitive and social aspects could make a new entry feel very fresh outside of "more music + DLC, here's a new instrument, etc"

Link to the rumor

Grain of salt, as always, and I'd be stunned if the game didn't hit 360/PS3 as well.
Sorry, Wii/Wii U guys, but I honestly don't think this will hit those consoles.

Backwards-compatible DLC and instruments? Air guitar with Kinect? What do you guys want to see?

pls give me pro guitar with real guitar this time

Do you not? There is usually more to make on those consoles than others typically if past performance is any indication.

McDougles

Remember bars would have Guitar Hero/Rock Band nights?

This genre was so big before it committed oversaturation suicide.

I don't like Harmonix's name being aligned with the genre's market oversaturation.

Activision released 10 games between Guitar Hero: On Tour Aerosmith’s June 22, 2008 release and the launch of Guitar Hero: Van Halen on December 22, 2009 alone. That's about one game every other month.

Rock Band sold like, what, 8 non-mobile games between November 2007 and August 2012?

Top Bottom