• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blu-ray and HD DVD owners - Look here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kleegamefan said:
It is so much more than that!!!

What if you are intrested in a Panasonic Plasma but realise it doesnt properly deinterlace 1080i sources:

OR

A Westinghouse/Vizio 1080p is in your budget but that would mean you sacrifice SD performance because the internal processing in both those TVs SUXXORZ....

PROBLEM SOLVED WITH THE 875/905!!! :D

Lolz. So Onkyo finally solves my 1080i scaling nightmare with my PS3 Blu Rays? I already have a Pioneer VX74, so I won't be needing this, but damn if that ain't a good deal.

Stinkles

jenov4 said:
Whoa. Can you guys recommend some decent but cheap speakers for this thing????

Actually, if you mean DIRT cheap, Onkyo and Pioneer low ends are both really good. If you mean audiophile cheap, then just slit your throat because they don't know what cheap means.

Also, room _ speaker + processing _ source material = result. There's no simple formula.

Reasonably cheap = Klipsch.

But this is where Overstock and Refurbdepot migth help you.

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
Actually, if you mean DIRT cheap, Onkyo and Pioneer low ends are both really good. If you mean audiophile cheap, then just slit your throat because they don't know what cheap means.

What do you considering audiophile cheap by chance?

If you are spending $400 on a receiver, is around $800 for 5 speakers and a sub really that outrageous? 'Cause you can get some serious sound for that price.

Stinkles

Onix said:

If you are spending $400 on a receiver, is around $800 for 5 speakers and a sub really that outrageous? 'Cause you can get some serious sound for that price.

The beauty of speakers is that the tech hasn't changed much for 20 years, so you can get AWESOME deals for used stuff. My recc. would be shop around for something that suits your room size. A good receiver will do an amazing job of matching "like" speakers - say five identical brand name speakers (lets say Boston Acoustics for the sake of argument) but you run into problems matching agood sub at that point.

Realistically in a living room, even bookshelf sized speakers are going to do well. It's all about construction quality. A good receiver/processor will do wonders with medicore speakers.

IMHO.

I have some Bose cubes (don't laugh Onix, I got 'em for $100) in one room and they do a stellar job. In another, I have some Mordaunt Shorts, and they do a fantastic job too, but not CRAZY better than the little Boses - especially the material I use - Movies, games and stereo CDs.

I also completely gave up on 7.1 - it adds NOTHING cept cable garbage.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
do these things all have like a 5.1 mode? I have absolutely no desire to explore 7.1

FUnny thing was is that I was looking at the 604 on Crutchfield yesterday for the sale price of 399. I can pre-order these for the same price :lol

If I use HDMI to switch sources and deliver the image to the TV will the HDMI pass the sound as well? or will I have to run a separate stero out?

Stinkles

scola said:
do these things all have like a 5.1 mode? I have absolutely no desire to explore 7.1

FUnny thing was is that I was looking at the 604 on Crutchfield yesterday for the sale price of 399. I can pre-order these for the same price :lol

If I use HDMI to switch sources and deliver the image to the TV will the HDMI pass the sound as well? or will I have to run a separate stero out?

Most HDMI TVs will take the sound as well. You may have to tinker with the outputs on your reciever AND on the PS3 for example.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Stinkles said:
Most HDMI TVs will take the sound as well. You may have to tinker with the outputs on your reciever AND on the PS3 for example.
I am not really concerned in taking the sound from HDMI to HDMI, but rather say component + opticle in and HDMI out. Sometimes the TV speakers are just fine, and part of the appeal of this is the chance to reduce wire clutter to the TV

nerbo

I was going to wait for this one to launch, but I want the resolution upscaling and unfortunately, the $399 Onkyo doesn't offer that. While the Onkyo looks to be a nice receiver (if you don't want or care about the upscaling), the Harman Kardon AVR 247 is available now for $499 shipped from JR.com.

Soon as I learned that I couldn't make this Onkyo work for my needs, I went out to Best Buy and found they have the AVR 247 in stock at $499, yet their web price is $475 +$25 to ship, so I asked them to match the price and I took it home for $475. w00p! :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
scola said:

Of course they do 5.1 as well. Even better, most of these receivers with 7.1 allow you to biamp your front pair of speakers if you only use 5.1 (you use the other two channel of amplification), or simultaneously drive a pair of speakers in Zone 2

HDMI audio depends on the receiver. My Denon lets me set it to TV or amp. It won't do both - i.e won't pass HDMI audio to the TV if the receiver is amplifying it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrklaw said:
no. HDMI doesn't allow it

You can do PS3-HDMI-receiver=great audio + PS3-component-TV=great video
No thats false, my friend just got a Denon AVR 987, and because of HDCP handshaking issues the only way he could get it to work with video was PS3 -> hdmi -> reciever -> comonent -> TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
captive said:
No thats false, my friend just got a Denon AVR 987, and because of HDCP handshaking issues the only way he could get it to work with video was PS3 -> hdmi -> reciever -> comonent -> TV.

ok, so then it depends on the receiver and how its doing its repeater functions. Some will allow HDMI audio with no HDMI output connected, I guess some need to be connected to a TV. Strange that my Denon 2307 seems fine without the TV on, but that might be the HDMI splitter attached to the output making the receiver think its connected to a display?

HDMI is a royal cockup anyway. Its just not mature enough to reliably handle chains of more than 2 items, so best to buy from somewhere with a good returns policy, and do your homework.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:

What Onix is talking about is a surround suite of Onyx X-series speakers from av123:

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=92.1

For the price, the sound quality will make you weep with joy....

teiresias

The higher end Onkyos certainly do have some really nice features, but until I'm in a pretty permanent housing situation with a nice room dedicated to a home theater I really can't see myself spending that much money on a receiver. I don't think my JBL NSP1 speaker system would do such a thing justice anyway.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
mrklaw said:
ok, so then it depends on the receiver and how its doing its repeater functions. Some will allow HDMI audio with no HDMI output connected, I guess some need to be connected to a TV. Strange that my Denon 2307 seems fine without the TV on, but that might be the HDMI splitter attached to the output making the receiver think its connected to a display?

HDMI is a royal cockup anyway. Its just not mature enough to reliably handle chains of more than 2 items, so best to buy from somewhere with a good returns policy, and do your homework.

I read somewhere on avsforum there can be some handshaking issues if you use awg 28 HDMI cables with PS3.......a guy switched from awg 28 HDMI to awg 24 HDMI cables and his PS3 handshaking issues went away....

I was under the impression all HDMI cables are equal so this was news to me....

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
The beauty of speakers is that the tech hasn't changed much for 20 years, so you can get AWESOME deals for used stuff. My recc. would be shop around for something that suits your room size. A good receiver will do an amazing job of matching "like" speakers - say five identical brand name speakers (lets say Boston Acoustics for the sake of argument) but you run into problems matching agood sub at that point.

I wouldn't entirely agree that the tech has NOT changed much.

Regardless, there are plenty of quality older speakers available as you've stated. One thing to keep in mind however, is that the median speaker quality has improved a lot over the years. So while a quality speaker from the past may still make some beautiful music, and average (or ugh, a crap) speaker from then will be pretty bad.

Basically, a much greater percentage of speakers today fall into the 'decent' category versus say 20 years ago.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the materials for drivers and surrounds have changed dramatically over the years. Many older speakers may be in need of repair due to rot, etc. Something to watch out for.

Argyle

captive said:

I have the same receiver...what kind of TV does he have?

I know the receiver will not convert HDMI video to component (nothing is supposed to, it's against the HDMI licensing rules I think) so he's using component video and HDMI for audio right?

I'm going PS3->HDMI->Denon 987->HDMI->Projector and it works fine. Only weirdness is that if I have the projector turned off at first and then turn it on it takes a second to resync where the sound cuts out, otherwise it all works fine. I suspect it's a problem with the TV that is causing it not to work for your friend...

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
I read somewhere on avsforum there can be some handshaking issues if you use awg 28 HDMI cables with PS3.......a guy switched from awg 28 HDMI to awg 24 HDMI cables and his PS3 handshaking issues went away....

I was under the impression all HDMI cables are equal so this was news to me....

While digital cables generally work or don't work, they do have one corollary to analog cables; signal strength.

Basically the old length versus thickness issue still applies. With HDMI this wasn’t as noticeable with prior specs. However, HDMI 1.3 uses much more bandwidth, so the issue is more pronounced.

I’ve actually gotten away with 28 awg HDMI with my PS3 and cable box, but these are relatively short runs (15’ I believe).

I’m curious to see what happens when I get a HDMI 1.3 TV. I wonder if the PS3->TV handshaking might flip out since they will both ‘agree’ on HDMI 1.3 BW as the requirement? I’m not sure of the hand-shaking details … so I don’t know if it ‘fails’ based on BW for the spec, or BW for the ‘need’.

If it’s the latter, I should be fine … at least until some deep color games/movies come along. At that point, I’ll probably have issues.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Argyle said:
I have the same receiver...what kind of TV does he have?

I know the receiver will not convert HDMI video to component (nothing is supposed to, it's against the HDMI licensing rules I think) so he's using component video and HDMI for audio right?

I'm going PS3->HDMI->Denon 987->HDMI->Projector and it works fine. Only weirdness is that if I have the projector turned off at first and then turn it on it takes a second to resync where the sound cuts out, otherwise it all works fine. I suspect it's a problem with the TV that is causing it not to work for your friend...
Nope, hes got his Satellite and PS3 plugged into the reciever via HDMI, and we were up to three am trying to get the TV to accept the HDMI from the reciever and we never could. But he got it to component to work from the reciever.

el Diablo

Banned
You guys see this special they're running on gift certificates at AV123? Runs through 4/13 btw.

* LEVEL 1: Purchase a GC for $250 to $499 and get an additional 5% added to your store credit balance.

* LEVEL 2: Purchase a GC for $500 to $749 and get an additional 7.5% added to your store credit balance.

* LEVEL 3: Purchase a GC for $750 and up and get an additional 10% added to your store credit balance.

For example, taking level #3 above, a $750 GC purchased yields a credit of $825 to your AV123 account but only $750 charged to your card.

Ended up charging a $550 GC to a CC since i'll eventually be buying 4 x-ls and an x-cs.

Raistlin

el Diablo said:
You guys see this special they're running on gift certificates at AV123? Runs through 4/13 btw.

Ended up charging a $550 GC to a CC since i'll eventually be buying 4 x-ls and an x-cs.

Nice!

I actually took advantage of one of their GC deals a while back, coupled with them closing out on the Rocket 750 MLS Signature model.

I have a 7.1 Rocket system consisting of:

4 x RS-750 Signature for mains and rears
1 x RSC-200 (Bigfoot) center
2 x RSS-300 Adaptive Dipole surrounds.

All in Macassar Ebony.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:
Nice!

All in Macassar Ebony.

fu<King Noice!!! :D

Stinkles

Onix said:
I wouldn't entirely agree that the tech has NOT changed much.

I only meant relative to the tech changes in receivers. You buy a two year old receiver, you might lose out a ton of useful features - you buy two year old speakers, hey, you're not missing much.

And hey Onix, how do you feel generally about mixing and matching speakers within the same setup - you think my MCACC setup will even out disparity with a mismatched center channel?

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
fu<King Noice!!! :D

Oh shits ... I never posted pics of my home theater now that I finally bought a digital camera :lol

I'll do that this week (I'm going away for the weekend).

I've actually had this setup for a while now (among other goodies - like my SP3 + Ref 1's :lol)

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
I only meant relative to the tech changes in receivers. You buy a two year old receiver, you might lose out a ton of useful features - you buy two year old speakers, hey, you're not missing much.

Gotcha

And hey Onix, how do you feel generally about mixing and matching speakers within the same setup - you think my MCACC setup will even out disparity with a mismatched center channel?

In reality, unless you have the same 3 speakers in the front (and positioned properly), you aren't gonna get perfect pans. Supposed 'matched' sets still have the problem that the center has a different speaker configuration, position, and cabinet size - but obviously they can be closer than mis-matched sets if implemented well.

Specific to stuff like MCACC, it is really to fix general peaks and nulls due to your room dimensions/speaker location. It isn't going to really help with more subtle timbres, etc. to my knowledge.

That being said, if you can get similar/same tweeters across the front ... that's most of the battle. The aforementioned center speaker configuration and cabinet depth is going to effect the mids/bass moreso than treble, so you can get a decent match if you concentrate on the upper registers. Basically, bass/mids are generally fuxxord anyway, so try to match what's left. :)

The best thing to do is to try it and see what you think.

el Diablo

Banned
Onix said:
Nice!

I actually took advantage of one of their GC deals a while back, coupled with them closing out on the Rocket 750 MLS Signature model.

All in Macassar Ebony.

Damn you've got some cheap garbage, no Bose!?! :D. Looking forward to seeing this setup, you've obviously put alot of thought and dollars into it.

Stinkles

MCACC for me is half psychological anyway. Basically I feel better knowing that a computer "expert" tuned it for me.

But it makes me happy.

Raistlin

el Diablo said:
Damn you've got some cheap garbage, no Bose!?! :D. Looking forward to seeing this setup, you've obviously put alot of thought and dollars into it.

Yeah ... it's been incrementally coming together for years now.

I'd like to say it's near complete, but there's no such thing with this hobby :D

Geoff9920

Onix said:
Nice!

All in Macassar Ebony.
Good choice in speakers. :)

Raistlin

el Diablo said:
Onix, out of curiousity, do you have a dedicated theater room?

No (not yet) :p

I do plan on building a dedicated HT room with a front projector within the next couple years though. Last year, me and my long-time (7+ years) girlfriend broke up. Because of this, I placed my plans to buy a house on hold for a little bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in the Buffalo area, and don't really 'need' a house ... so it seemed stupid to go ahead with it.

I should note that in my current room configuration, I'm only running 5.1. My extra set of 750's is being used in a stereo setup.

Geoff9920

Speaking of a dedicated theater, it's amazing how much difference a properly treated room can make on the same speakers. I've heard speakers that are on par with what I use and used in a dedicated theater the difference is fairly dramatic. If you've got the skills & knowledge to do it right, I'd say dedicated theaters are worth every penny.

Raistlin

Geoff9920 said:
Speaking of a dedicated theater, it's amazing how much difference a properly treated room can make on the same speakers. I've heard speakers that are on par with what I use and used in a dedicated theater the difference is fairly dramatic. If you've got the skills & knowledge to do it right, I'd say dedicated theaters are worth every penny.

QFT.

Ryu1999

Onix said:
Gotcha
Specific to stuff like MCACC, it is really to fix general peaks and nulls due to your room dimensions/speaker location. It isn't going to really help with more subtle timbres, etc. to my knowledge.

That being said, if you can get similar/same tweeters across the front ... that's most of the battle. The aforementioned center speaker configuration and cabinet depth is going to effect the mids/bass moreso than treble, so you can get a decent match if you concentrate on the upper registers. Basically, bass/mids are generally fuxxord anyway, so try to match what's left. :)

Basic question: Center speaker on top of the TV or under?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ryu1999 said:
I was always told that all speakers should be as close to ear level as possible. so it really depends on your setup.

el Diablo

Banned
Onix said:
No (not yet) :p

I do plan on building a dedicated HT room with a front projector within the next couple years though. Last year, me and my long-time (7+ years) girlfriend broke up. Because of this, I placed my plans to buy a house on hold for a little bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in the Buffalo area, and don't really 'need' a house ... so it seemed stupid to go ahead with it.

I should note that in my current room configuration, I'm only running 5.1. My extra set of 750's is being used in a stereo setup.

Well look at the bright side, at least you weren't married and forced part with any of your stereo stuff heh. I'm in the same boat though, really want a dedicate theater room but that's the only reason i'd buy a house atm since i don't really need one.

Ryu1999 said:

IMO opinion it doesn't really matter as long as it's properly aimed at ear level w/ no obstructions; and when i mean ear level i mean getting out a laser level and actually figuring it out, not eyeballing it. Really depends on the layout of your setup since the vast majority of folks don't have a dedicated theater and are using their living rooms.

Bebpo

Banned
Onix said:
Nice!

All in Macassar Ebony.

Hey, I have Rockets too!

4 x 250 for L/R & Rear
1 x 200 for Center

Very pleased with Rockets and would very much recommend them to people looking in the $500-1000 speaker set range.

Geoff9920

Bebpo said:
Hey, I have Rockets too!

4 x 250 for L/R & Rear
1 x 200 for Center

Very pleased with Rockets and would very much recommend them to people looking in the $500-1000 speaker set range.
Welcome to the club, Bebpo.

Raistlin

Ryu1999 said:

You want all (non-dipole/omnipole) speakers to have their tweeter at ear-level when possible.

If you can't, then you should put it either under or over based on which is closest to ear-level. At that point, you should then tilt it to get the tweeter properly aimed for your main listening distance.

Raistlin

el Diablo said:
Well look at the bright side, at least you weren't married and forced part with any of your stereo stuff heh. I'm in the same boat though, really want a dedicate theater room but that's the only reason i'd buy a house atm since i don't really need one.

We actually lived together for around 4 years, and she was fine with my 'habit'.

Hopefully my next girl will be similarly accepting. :p

Raistlin

Bebpo said:
Hey, I have Rockets too!

4 x 250 for L/R & Rear
1 x 200 for Center

Sweet ... a new member to club Onix.

And yes, that is why I choose the name after my Raistlin account was never reactivated :lol

Just found a pic of the back. Mine!

txsr605_rear_300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom