• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Chinner

Banned
I definantly saw potential in the demo, but generally I disliked how the demo was handled. I mean it just plonks you right into the game with all the powers, little exploration to do and gives you some nice spoilers :(. They could of just put it at the beginning. I'll still keep my eye on this, probably buy it too.

starfox

Banned
Chinner said:
:(. They could of just put it at the beginning. I'll still keep my eye on this, probably buy it too.
Just the begginig, that beautiful music ... till the Part Shu enters in the Cinematic to fight the (mecanical shark) Fin with a piece of wood.
The (Demo) End.

Short.
Memorable.
Perfect.

(but no :()

Woo-Fu

Banned
nubbe said:
haha

People who go "WTF this JRPG plays like a JRPG" are funny.

I like lots of JRPGs, few of the ones I like are as crappy as the demo of Blue Dragon.

Taking the worst aspects of the genre and reskinning them for next-gen isn't behavior that should be rewarded, imho.

DCharlie

Banned
Blue Dragon`s main issue (now i didn`t finish the game yet) was that it just felt too easy. Whilst i enjoyed the graphical/art side, the story (albeit fairly standard fare), and the music (PLEASE tell me Ian Gillans boss music is still there!) , i just wanted a bit more challenge - i`m not asking for a "go away and grind" fest, but the battles could have been a bit more stretching. :/

Then again, as other said - it just fells like a lot of other JRPGs in that respect. So yeah, whilst i`m sure it`ll get 7 - 8 range reviews with the odd harsh 5 or 6 here and there, the battle system/general mechanics could have been a bit better (searching everywhere for objects which, even when you find them, aren`t particularly intersting) , but it does bode well as a series. Love the art style, nice (if a bit too "usual" TYama) characters, interesting enough world... hopefully as a series things can pick up.

Room for improvement for sure - but a good base for a recurring RPG series on MS hardware.

nubbe said:
haha

People who go "WTF this JRPG plays like a JRPG" are funny.

i just had assumed they may have improved over the archaic game mechanics over the years and you knwo atleast learned about pacing.

yukoner

Kabuki Waq said:
i just had assumed they may have improved over the archaic game mechanics over the years and you knwo atleast learned about pacing.

You should've just used the Field Barrier if you felt it was that bad. Once you beat an enemy once, you never have to fight him again.

The demo was confusing at first, but after my 2nd or 3rd playthrough, after I figured out all the different skills, it was great.

And I don't know how people can hate on a demo that lets you play for 60minutes at a time, on 2 different levels, with level 25 characters.

Thoren

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

What's Archaic then? Turn based? Sorry, but turn based JRPGs are a genre, not archaic gameplay. Blue Dragon is designed to be old fashioned anyways. Im ****ing tired of people bashing turn based just for the sake of it being turn based. Do you bash Ninja Gaiden because you beat the shit out of Ninjas? Do you bash Mario because your primary attack is jumping on things? its just annoying, if you don't like turn based, too bad, there are people that do and calling it "Archaic" is pointless in a thread about a turn based game.

clashfan

Thoren said:
What's Archaic then? Turn based? Sorry, but turn based JRPGs are a genre, not archaic gameplay. Blue Dragon is designed to be old fashioned anyways. Im ****ing tired of people bashing turn based just for the sake of it being turn based. Do you bash Ninja Gaiden because you beat the shit out of Ninjas? Do you bash Mario because your primary attack is jumping on things? its just annoying, if you don't like turn based, too bad, there are people that do and calling it "Archaic" is pointless in a thread about a turn based game.

Word to the mutha.

yukoner said:
You should've just used the Field Barrier if you felt it was that bad. Once you beat an enemy once, you never have to fight him again.
On another note with Field Barrier, do you gain exp when killing them or do you just gain SP?

Also, in the full game, can you change the voice that says all the statuses like "Dead, Defeated, etc?" Considering it uses that AT&T voice changer, I was hoping they'd have the option to change the voice like the one on the internet.

Thoren

Banned
I'm kind of wishing toriyama's art style didn't make everyone look like children. Imagine staring at this for 40 hours:

4tghgck.jpg

yukoner

donkey show said:
On another note with Field Barrier, do you gain exp when killing them or do you just gain SP?

Also, in the full game, can you change the voice that says all the statuses like "Dead, Defeated, etc?" Considering it uses that AT&T voice changer, I was hoping they'd have the option to change the voice like the one on the internet.

Just SP.

Not sure about the voice, but in the demo for me, it was very quiet, and fairly unintrusive, didn't really bother me at all.

yukoner

virtuafightermaster said:
Turn based RPG is certainly not as appealing as real time action RPG. Specially after FF12.

To who??

I couldn't finish FF12, it was just annoying as ****.

I mean, what's the fun in having your characters auto-attack all the time, and forcing you to pause the action anyways, to have some strategy.

yes the gambits were decent, but they fell short.

To me, the realtime combat WoW style is just booring as hell, I mean you essentially sit there and watch. I'll take a turn based battle, where I can use some strategy, any day.

I'm not saying realtime combat is not good, KOTOR was the best implemntation of RPG combat I've ever played.

But the WoW style crap that was in FF12 is not all it's cracked up to be, I found it extremely boring, and annoying to have to be constantly pausing teh action to issue commands. If they had've at least implemnted a Queing system, like KOTOR, it would've been a little better, but as it stood it was pretty weak.

Speevy

Banned
Turn based RPG is certainly not as appealing as real time action RPG. Specially after FF12.

Yes, Final Fantasy 12 certainly changed the RPG landscape since its release 15 years ago on the PC.

yukoner said:
Too who??

Yep. I haven't played XII, but I've played the BD demo and I really have an affinity for the classic menu turn based RPG. Sure it's archaic, but so is Pictionary. It's how I've come to enjoy RPGs of this style. I got no beef with it, or random battles. It's not like every single game has the same spells and enemies. It's a new installment of a familiar approach. I don't think that everything needs to be innovated just for innovations' sake. I'll play Oblivion or Mass Effect for something different, but I always want something in that classic, basically untouched style.

Thoren

Banned

This is not a thread to discuss the appealing and unappealing qualities of a turn based combat system. Blue Dragon is turn based and complaining about it and comparing it to that pile of manure FF12 isnt going to change it, so please people, stop.

pswii60

Right, a couple of weeks ago I briefly played the demo and having not played a turn based RPG in ages, I was quickly turned off.

So, last night I returned and spent some time understanding the turn based combat, etc. And now I am so getting this game on DAY ONE.

Played through to the end of the demo and really, really enjoyed it. The art work is beautiful (even on the poo monster!), the Corporeal scenes just look magnificent, tried it out with every possible dragon/character. The strategy with the turn based combat is really great fun too now I've got used to it.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting this now despite the mediocre reviews - it seemed that I just needed to spend a bit more time getting to understand the game to really appreciate it.

Ponn

Banned
So I was going through my Gamefly list and did an offhand search for Blue Dragon. It's still not up in the coming soon list but they do have a listing for it now with picture BUT it says not rentable. Clicking on it gives a description with a disclaimer stating because of packaging restrictions this game will not be rentable. Interesting. Is this game 2 discs? Is that the reason Gamefly won't rent it?

Guess i'm going out sometime this week and putting money down on it. I'm still excited for it but was going to be content to rent it. Guess i'm buying it now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sorry if this question has already been asked,
For the people who played the Japanese version,
How much optional content is there?

I'm considering whether or not to get a guide for it.
Typically, if they game has a ton of content that is harder to find, or has a lot of missable content, i'd get a guide.

sorry I'm late to the party. The demo is way better than I expected. (I was expecting Evolution Worlds quality here).

I like traditional RPG's like DQ8 and this one at least seems to flow right.

Not sure if I'd pay $60 without more to go on though.

Red Scarlet

FF12 is turn-based also. What do you think that meter next to the command you're waiting to perform is?

C4Lukins

FF12 was pretty much turn based when you get down to it. With the exception that the enemy does not wait on you.

Takuhi

Suikoguy said:
Sorry if this question has already been asked,
For the people who played the Japanese version,
How much optional content is there?

I'm considering whether or not to get a guide for it.
Typically, if they game has a ton of content that is harder to find, or has a lot of missable content, i'd get a guide.

There are no side quests in disc 1, there's one lengthy side quest in disc 2, and disc 3 is almost entirely side quests. Of course, if you count achievements as optional content, then you definitely want the guide*, because it would be EXTREMELY difficult to find EVERY item and EVERY monster without it (some of the monsters are stunningly rare, like, they only appear as the result of a rare move used by some other monster that only appears a few times).

*This advice brought to you by the guy who wrote the guide, who may not be an entirely unbiased source.

Tristam

Takuhi said:
There are no side quests in disc 1, there's one lengthy side quest in disc 2, and disc 3 is almost entirely side quests. Of course, if you count achievements as optional content, then you definitely want the guide*, because it would be EXTREMELY difficult to find EVERY item and EVERY monster without it (some of the monsters are stunningly rare, like, they only appear as the result of a rare move used by some other monster that only appears a few times).

*This advice brought to you by the guy who wrote the guide, who may not be an entirely unbiased source.

More rare than getting a Pink Tail in Final Fantasy IV? :p

Gamespy, 4/5
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mistwalker-rpg/813556p1.html

Pros:
- Phenomenal music;
- magnificently rendered cutscenes;
- tons of hours of gameplay.

Cons:
- Weird (though rare) framerate issues;
- cutscenes are kind of long.

For most 360 gamers, Blue Dragon is going to be a hard sell, but for that sliver of the community that longs for a return to the days of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, you simply couldn't do any better. Without question, it's one of the longest games available on the 360, clocking in at roughly 60 hours depending on how quickly you blaze through it. For huge anime/JRPG geeks like us, Blue Dragon is a fantastic game as long as you can make it through the first few plodding hours and don't mind the hyper-cute character design. Now, if you'll excuse us, we need to go see if we can pick up a version of the boss fight music without the lyrics for future karaoke parties.

The bold part is that, whats the most important thing for me. Thats why I am still getting BD and thats why I'm still hyped about the old school RPG Lost Odyssey...

u_neek

1 week left 'till BD is finally in my hands!

Hellraizer said:
The bold part is that, whats the most important thing for me. Thats why I am still getting BD and thats why I'm still hyped about the old school RPG Lost Odyssey...
Agreed! I'm even looking forward to The Last Remnant - can't get enough next-gen RPG goodness.

mr stroke

Hellraizer said:
Gamespy, 4/5
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mistwalker-rpg/813556p1.html

Pros:
- Phenomenal music;
- magnificently rendered cutscenes;
- tons of hours of gameplay.

Cons:
- Weird (though rare) framerate issues;
- cutscenes are kind of long.

So if I liked Dragon Quest VII I will like Blue Dragon?? I am so split on this one, the demo was very stale, but the graphics are amazing. I don't mind "old school" rpg's I just hope there is a solid story to move through the 60 hours.

u_neek

Admittedly the demo probably doesn't give a great impression of the final product but what RPG demos do? The FFXII demo sucked as well.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay, so apparently the most prominent problem of Blue Dragon is the sluggish pace of the first third of the game.

- long cutscenes don't bother me
- framerate drops don't bother me if they're "rare"
- boss fight music doesn't bother me because I've loved it since TGS

Right?

mr stroke

anyone else going to be insane and pick this up first over Bioshock?? I am really craving some JRPG goodness and don't have the time to play both....Blue Dragon now then Bioshock for Christmas?

mr stroke said:
So if I liked Dragon Quest VII I will like Blue Dragon??

DQ8 was developed by an incredible dev house called Level 5, who also did Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 1 & 2 and the upcoming White Knight Story.

BD was dev'd by Artoon, famous for Blinx and Blinx 2. Nuff Said.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Okay, so apparently the most prominent problem of Blue Dragon is the sluggish pace of the first third of the game.

- framerate drops don't bother me if they're "rare"

Right?

If by "rare" you mean 95% of the time, then yes.

BluWacky

mr stroke said:
anyone else going to be insane and pick this up first over Bioshock?? I am really craving some JRPG goodness and don't have the time to play both....Blue Dragon now then Bioshock for Christmas?

They come out on the same day in the UK, so I'll be getting both and hoping they last me a while...

bigswords

Actually I kind of like Blue Dragon, the art style is really clean like in an Anime.
I actually find the combat pretty good (I usually fall asleep in most Jrpg combat rounds). The charging system for combat does make sense as in you make the player decide whether he should do a low charge which allows him to hit the enemy for low dmg or charge it up and do more dmg.

I'm playing the Asian version, so it's Japanese or Korean voices with English subs.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
mr stroke said:
anyone else going to be insane and pick this up first over Bioshock??

Yes. Because I like JRPGs and don't like FPS games. Also picking up Jeanne D'Arc, Dungeons and Dragons Tactics and Persona 3 in preference to Bioshock. Hmm. It's almost as though there's some sort of pattern. :p

MCD

iapetus said:
Yes. Because I like JRPGs and don't like FPS games. Also picking up Jeanne D'Arc, Dungeons and Dragons Tactics and Persona 3 in preference to Bioshock. Hmm. It's almost as though there's some sort of pattern. :p

4vebrbo.jpg

don't kill me plz

f@luS

More than a member.
p3tran said:
its a brilliant game for the 360. and the PAL preview disc has no framerate drops.

Pal game is already available in france and some other pal country, and has been reviewed

* Un système de jeu déséquilibré
* Des environnements inégaux
* Saccades fréquentes
* Les temps de chargement trop visibles
* Le doublage français

Are the cons from a french site. Saccades fréquente = lot of framerate drops

iapetus said:

Eh, Im a huge rpg fan, but I wouldn't write off bioshock...I think the game offers the kind of immersion you expect in a good rpg...infact rpg fan or no, give it a chance.

Top Bottom