• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

jvalioli

Blimblim said:
Yeah it's quite good. Only thing I dislike is Shu's frown. He's a rather lighthearted character so this looks a bit out of place.
The frown doesn't even look all that serious. Looks very silly for some reason.

Anyway, box art looks good, but I wish it was coming out early in August instead of later.

Zilch

Banned
virtuafightermaster said:
It is very kiddie indeed. Wish they have gone with different character design artist.

It bums me out that this will be the typical response from an XBox owner. "Where teh bald marines!?"

=\

edit: before anyone accuses me of insinuating that the game would be better on another platform, well, i'm definitly not insinuating that.

Is it that I can't find it or is there not a Blue Dragon trailer or any kind of video on the XBL Marketplace to dl for free....or for money? It would seem kind of odd to not have some sort of video to dl off the marketplace since this game is basically directed to target a new type of audience to the 360.

GreekWolf

got2bekidding said:
Is it that I can't find it or is there not a Blue Dragon trailer or any kind of video on the XBL Marketplace to dl for free....or for money?
The X06 trailer was on Marketplace for awhile but they've taken it down months ago. I'm pretty sure we'll have a new one in a couple weeks during E3.

GreekWolf said:
The X06 trailer was on Marketplace for awhile but they've taken it down months ago. I'm pretty sure we'll have a new one in a couple weeks during E3.

I hope they do put one up again soon. I'm dying to check out what this game looks like in 1080p (scaled + hdmi = hopefully big win). Thanks for the reply.

Llyranor

Hmm, if you have two controllers hooked in, can the second controller also be used at the same time? IE. Could two players split some of the characters amongst themselves and each control a few in battle?

Thoren

Banned
Llyranor said:
Hmm, if you have two controllers hooked in, can the second controller also be used at the same time? IE. Could two players split some of the characters amongst themselves and each control a few in battle?

:lol just pass the controller around dude

u_neek

Euro cover:
51twChrEw5L._SS500_.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Btw I heard from friends working in the "old" gaming press (paper press) that Blue Dragon is going to get scores ranging from really bad to really great, at least here in France. It seems that some reviewers where totally turned off by the poo monsters and other Toriyama funny antics. Some went as far as boycotting Sakaguchi's interviews a few weeks ago because the game was so bad in their opinion. Sakaguchi, for ****s sake! How many people would sell their family for a chance to talk with him?
I pretty much expect it to be the same in other countries, it seems like some people have completely lost their sense of humor or something.

Rad Agast

Blimblim said:
It seems that some reviewers where totally turned off by the poo monsters and other Toriyama funny antics. Some went as far as boycotting Sakaguchi's interviews a few weeks ago because the game was so bad in their opinion.

That's sad to hear. I've tried the demo and am still getting this game. It's nothing ground breaking but seemed like a good classic jrpg.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's very strange BlimBlim
I plan to buy it myself, what to the reviewers in question normally review? Perhaps they are not used to the format if they only review Xbox games?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Suikoguy said:
That's very strange BlimBlim
I plan to buy it myself, what to the reviewers in question normally review? Perhaps they are not used to the format if they only review Xbox games?
Well I heard about people from all type of magazines I know for a fact that JVM (jeux video magazine), multiplatform publication, refused to go interview Sakaguchi because how terrible they thought Blue Dragon was. I think they actually were offended by the game or something.
Sometimes I think the gaming "journalists" have lost all sense of wonder and humor. Blue Dragon is all about a lighthearted story with silly humor from times to times. It's all good clean fun, and certainly nothing to be offended about.

GreekWolf

Blimblim said:
Well I heard about people from all type of magazines I know for a fact that JVM (jeux video magazine), multiplatform publication, refused to go interview Sakaguchi because how terrible they thought Blue Dragon was. I think they actually were offended by the game or something.
Sometimes I think the gaming "journalists" have lost all sense of wonder and humor. Blue Dragon is all about a lighthearted story with silly humor from times to times. It's all good clean fun, and certainly nothing to be offended about.
That's insane.

Perhaps Microsoft should pull the game from store shelves there, along with all future Mistwalker releases. If they want a copy of Lost Odyssey then they can plan a nice little road trip to get it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Blimblim said:
Yeah it's quite good. Only thing I dislike is Shu's frown. He's a rather lighthearted character so this looks a bit out of place.

He's not frowning! He's determined! Determined to prove that the 360 is the one console future!

u_neek

GreekWolf said:
Perhaps Microsoft should pull the game from store shelves there, along with all future Mistwalker releases. If they want a copy of Lost Odyssey then they can plan a nice little road trip to get it.
I think they have 1nt0rn3tz in France too...

But yeah, it sounds really stupid.

Blimblim said:

WTF!

....are those out there that really don't "get" what this title is going for?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
GreekWolf said:
That's insane.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be limited to France. Between the reviewers who are more used to play action/fps games that will destroy the game, and the others who won't appreciate the game's tone for what it is, I'm starting to think this game will be one of the most polarizing of the 360 in term of review score.
I don't usually give scores, but I'd give BD a 95% for a jRPG n00b, and 90% for true jRPGs fans because the game is really easy. It's really my favorite 360 game so far.

Thoren

Banned
Blimblim said:
Unfortunately I don't think this will be limited to France. Between the reviewers who are more used to play action/fps games that will destroy the game, and the others who won't appreciate the game's tone for what it is, I'm starting to think this game will be one of the most polarizing of the 360 in term of review score.
I don't usually give scores, but I'd give BD a 95% for a jRPG n00b, and 90% for true jRPGs fans because the game is really easy. It's really my favorite 360 game so far.

This really makes me sick about today's industry. Everyone is just obsessed with "cinematic action games", its pathetic. How dare they refuse Sakaguchi, one of the key people who escalated video games to where they are today. For some reason I get the vibe that most "journalists" wont even beat the entire game. Heck, it ships with the hard mode already enabled in the NA Version if I recall correctly, so it should be a pretty great experience.

GreekWolf

u_neek said:
I think they have 1nt0rn3tz in France too...

But yeah, it sounds really stupid.
Oh no they don't. I've already e-mailed the actors from Die Hard 4 and offered a hefty sum for them to blow up teh interwebs. I should be hearing back from them any minute now.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Thoren said:
This really makes me sick about today's industry. Everyone is just obsessed with "cinematic action games", its pathetic. How dare they refuse Sakaguchi, one of the key people who escalated video games to where they are today. For some reason I get the vibe that most "journalists" wont even beat the entire game. Heck, it ships with the hard mode already enabled in the NA Version if I recall correctly, so it should be a pretty great experience.
I can understand not liking Blue Dragon (well no I don't, but you see what I mean), but actually refusing an interview with Sakaguchi? Me and my PR contact for Xbox fansites (since I was still only xboxyde at the time) in France worked for many days in order to get a 10 minutes slot with him, and these guys refuse the invitation when it comes to them? Assholes, that's all what they are.

Thoren

Banned
Blimblim said:
I can understand not liking Blue Dragon (well no I don't, but you see what I mean), but actually refusing an interview with Sakaguchi? Me and my PR contact for Xbox fansites (since I was still only xboxyde at the time) in France worked for many days in order to get a 10 minutes slot with him, and these guys refuse the invitation when it comes to them? Assholes, that's all what they are.

I know the integrity of Japanese journalists has always been in question, but I never knew mainstream European sources were that bad. I know magazines like Play (UK) always give really biased or unfair scores. It seems like the only place to get somewhat solid impressions are from online communities like GAF. It just really sucks that games could fail commercially because of lame mainstream review magazines.

Sometimes I do worry about the state of gaming in Europe. You have gaming magazines turning down interviews with a person of Sakaguchi-san's status because they didn't like the game. Meanwhile the Top 10 chart positions are filled with MovieSequelTie-in games, all of which probably got a meta critic of 60 and less.

And people wonder why Europe gets treated so poorly by the console companies? I'm not surprised, they probably haven't got a clue what will please us!

ShutEye

I just wanted to say that I started playing this again (I got about 5hours into the game at christmas). I swore off JRPGs a while ago but Blue Dragon has brought me back.

Its excellent. Such a simple but rewarding battle system. I love it. Great graphics too.

Everyone who picks up the game is in for a treat.

Blimblim said:

No kidding. They could have just interviewed him without mentioning BD and talked about Cry-On or Lost Odyssey.

JoeFenix

Wow, this is really depressing.

This game is just so charming and well put together, I can't believe anyone would hate on it.

You have to atleast recognize that it's quality even if you don't dig the style. Sad.

Flock

i think alot of people have be really pining for a quality turn based jrpg, i know i have!

Would gaf explode if i said i was more hyped for this than mass effect? i think i am, but i've yet to play a mass effect demo.

GreekWolf

JoeFenix said:
Wow, this is really depressing.

This game is just so charming and well put together, I can't believe anyone would hate on it.

You have to atleast recognize that it's quality even if you don't dig the style. Sad.
I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but in this case it seems more than apt. Offended by "objectionable material" in Blue Dragon? Refusal to accept an interview with one of the most highly recognized and celebrated RPG developers of all time?

Europe am Sonyland confirmed.

I don't think blue dragon is going to be manhandled by the french press, blimblim is generalizing a bit. The rpg-lovers are going to buy it anyway, about the others, only opportunity to attract them was to release an appealing demo, on this level mistwalker/microsoft could have done better.

rs7k

Well, maybe I should explain myself. The battles take forever, there's zero challenge, the screen tears all over the place, and on top of all of it, I'm fighting snakes made out of purple poo. I wouldn't mind that last bit if the demo was actually enjoyable.

Thoren

Banned
rs7k said:
Well, maybe I should explain myself. The battles take forever, there's zero challenge, the screen tears all over the place, and on top of all of it, I'm fighting snakes made out of purple poo. I wouldn't mind that last bit if the demo was actually enjoyable.

Zero challenge? Have you tried playing on hard mode? I assure you, you will get your ass stomped. Also have you tried fiddling around with the classes and skills? The demo really throws too much at the gamer and doesn't let the game explain itself.

Also I'd appreciate if you post your opinions more often in the future instead of short negative quirps (Although they've gotten popular on GAF lately).

Aaron

Blimblim said:
What do you expect? They're French! :D

But seriously, and I do mean seriously, because that's how some reviewers take their jobs, when they're just playing silly videogames. I think it won't have much problem with reviews in the US because here the reviewers are lazy, and welcome easy with open arms. If it could be under eight hours, even better!

Kid Marin

I wouldn't bother too much about BD doing well or not in France. I live there and i can tell there is a real love story between french people and Toriyama's earlier works.

No matter the reviews, the game should do well thanks to Toriyama's influence in France. The fact it is made by Sakaguchi and looks just amazing shouldn't hurt too.

Top Bottom