• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Kosma

Banned
Just watched the second 10 mins...plot is shaping up real nicely. I already love that annoying little creature Nene (?) Hope the plot remains on the same track as it is now, lighthearted but epic none the less. Also as other have mentioned the voices of the main characters are suprisingly not annoying and squeeky.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
oo Kosma oo said:
Just watched the second 10 mins...plot is shaping up real nicely. I already love that annoying little creature Nene (?) Hope the plot remains on the same track as it is now, lighthearted but epic none the less. Also as other have mentioned the voices of the main characters are suprisingly not annoying and squeeky.
Yeah the plot stays pretty much like that throughout the game, with an awesome twist too :)
The voice work is awesome, with some pretty big names in there like Kawasumi Ayako. Shu is voiced by a woman btw, Inoue Marina.

Hunahan

Banned
Blimblim said:
Ok I did some 480p 16:9 mode captures, and then some 480i 4:3 ones.
480p 16/9 (resized to a proper 16:9 ratio of course)

Blim, you are a man without peer. Thanks a million.

These screenshots have made it crystal clear for me. I will definately need the HDTV before August 28th. :D

This game is too gorgeous to make do with that kind of sacrifice.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
oo Kosma oo said:
Good to hear. Is the twist of Kotor proportions Blim?
I didn't like Kotor so I never went to the twist, but I doubt Blue Dragon's twist is as good. It's more a "OMG WTF is going on?!?!!11" moment than a real story twist. Still you are not going to believe it when it happens :)

Kosma

Banned
Aw Blim you just put up those other videos to test my resolve not to see them. I bet I could sit through the entire game just watching lol.

*must not look arghrghrgrh*

I didn't even care about this game, but after reading this stupid thread, I want it.

But it's so far away. I'm really interested in the "check every barrel" gameplay. I desire. Where are my RPGs this generation?! Sigh.

Eteric Rice

Kureishima said:
I didn't even care about this game, but after reading this stupid thread, I want it.

But it's so far away. I'm really interested in the "check every barrel" gameplay. I desire. Where are my RPGs this generation?! Sigh.

When I found out that some of the creators of Chrono Trigger were making it, I wanted it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Went a bit crazy with the images, hope you'll forgive me :)
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Last video (up to the end of dragon boss fight) in a few minutes.

Thermite

awesome screenshots Blim! :D

I'm really close to caving in and watching the videos you guys have posted up but I don't want any of the main plot spoiled.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RiskyChris said:
Blim, thank you very much for these videos. Blue Dragon went from a maybe holiday purchase (for winter break) to day 1 for me.

<3
Then my work here is done.
Where is my check, Microsoft?
Seriously though, this is an awesome RPG. I'm enjoying as much the second time as the first one. I guess it's on the easy side, but it's fine by me.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
Then my work here is done.
Where is my check, Microsoft?
Seriously though, this is an awesome RPG. I'm enjoying as much the second time as the first one. I guess it's on the easy side, but it's fine by me.

Man, your positive comments are just inspiring.

Now, let me see, are there any puzzles in Blue Dragon (I'm not sure if I asked this before)? Are there times where you actually have to explore the outworld to advance the storyline (instead of being directed to where you have to go next)?

Tobor

Those screenshots are absolutely amazing. The depth blur makes it look like an old stop-motion animation set. Really beautiful stuff. I wish someone would make a "Jason and the Argonauts" or "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" Ray Harryhausen style game using these techniques.

maus

only thing that bugs me about those screenshots is that the proportions seem a bit wonky. The kid is huge in the outdoor environments, which is apporpriate for an rpg of this type I guess, but why does the party appear to shrink to such an extreme degree when in battle? The indoor shots are the most impressive to me, great art abound in all the shots though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The Mighty Chen said:
why does this game have such a terrible font and text display
I think they had to deal with a size limitation due to the japanese language compactness. That's the only reason I can think of.

Blimblim said:
Barrels, rocks, tree trunks, carts, drawers, etc, etc... Hundreds and hundreds of them :)

The worst is that shop that sells nothing but vases! Dozens of them! You learn something about yourself in that shop, I'm telling you.

Aaron

Thanks again for you efforts, Blim. Can't wait for this game to finally hit the US. The gameplay seems fun to me, and the visuals are just beyond anything we're likely to see for the near future.

I`m deeply entrenched in the squishy poo and I`m loving it.

It has all the problems of JRPGs, but it doesn`t matter so much when it's all so charming

reriel

I'm really interested to this game, but I have some doubt about level difficulty.
The low level difficulty hurt the whole experience ?
In a jrpg I don't mind some challenging boss fight (not sidequest), there are boss that can wipe out your party in this one ?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
reriel said:
I'm really interested to this game, but I have some doubt about level difficulty.
The low level difficulty hurt the whole experience ?
In a jrpg I don't mind some challenging boss fight (not sidequest), there are boss that can wipe out your party in this one ?
If you stay with the main storyline, then no there aren't any really difficult fights. Some boss can be tricky, but once you get it there is nothing that will really require loading an save and doing some leveling. I for one liked this a lot, but I guess others will dislike this. 30-40 hours of game with little to no leveling and backtracking is great imho.
Some optional boss are very difficult and will require quite a bit of leveling, but if you skip them I guess you can finish the game without seeing a game over screen.

reriel

Blimblim said:
If you stay with the main storyline, then no there aren't any really difficult fights. Some boss can be tricky, but once you get it there is nothing that will really require loading an save and doing some leveling. I for one liked this a lot, but I guess others will dislike this. 30-40 hours of game with little to no leveling and backtracking is great imho.
Some optional boss are very difficult and will require quite a bit of leveling, but if you skip them I guess you can finish the game without seeing a game over screen.

thanks blim. I'll buy this anyway, but it's a shame, atleast for me, not have challenging boss fight.
That hard mode should be a choice from the beginning :/

duckroll

reriel said:
thanks blim. I'll buy this anyway, but it's a shame, atleast for me, not have challenging boss fight.
That hard mode should be a choice from the beginning :/

The optional bosses are really challenging. It's pretty much just the entire main game that's gimped as far as difficulty goes. They probably don't expect many seasoned JRPG players on the Xbox360 in Japan anyway. :lol

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
So Blim, have you read IGN's latest preview (posted today)? If so, what's your take on their negative outlook on the title, 20 hours in? Do they make valid points? Do you have any points to counter their points? :D

I'm curious to know, because they bring up a slew of things that naturally bug me about JRPG's.

-The empty and predictable story.
-The lack of difficulty (which you commented on above)
-The lack of sidequests

These are starting to frighten me!

Top Bottom