• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09•16-18•16 - Bomba Witch & latest Bridget Jones abortion can't sink Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

ok lets do this

Jurassic World
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Minions
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
Alice in Wonderland

and thats just counting billi and higher so...

no

I agree with the rest, but fucking huh?

Vanish

ok lets do this

Jurassic World
The Avengers
Minions
Alice in Wonderland

no

What? Half that list is better than SS. I would put SS on the same level as Transformers

Wait...Snowden is in Amazon Prime?

GhaleonEB

Those daily takes are pretty dire for Blair Witch. 12% drop on Saturday, 44% drop on Sunday.

By contrast, Don't Breath dropped 1.5% and 34% in its opening weekend. The Witch, which had a similar opening but good reviews and legs, rose 2% Saturday and then dropped 34% Sunday.

It's going to be a very front loaded opening for Blair Witch, especially considering what it had been tracking to up until Friday.

Kinda ridiculous IMO Kubo and Pete's Dragon are being outgrossed by The Wild Life for two consecutive straight weeks. It's yet another of those typical CG DTV-level films Lionsgate dumps into theaters on the cheap, and it's still managing to beat out two far-better reviewed films of its demographic.

Especially salty since my local theater decided to air TWL, but skipped out on Kubo...

Kusagari

Kinda ridiculous IMO Kubo and Pete's Dragon are being outgrossed by The Wild Life for a consecutive straight week. It's yet another of those typical CG DTV-level films Lionsgate dumps into theaters on the cheap, and it's still managing to beat out two far-better reviewed films of its demographic.

Especially salty since my local theater decided to air TWL, but skipped out on Kubo...

Kubo and Pete's Dragon have been out for weeks. Wild Life has yet to even match either ones opening weekend.

The Beard

Blair Witch kind of looks like shit, so I'm not surprised at that lame OW. It looks like they threw away all of the suspense, and subtlety of the original and replaced it with cliche horror bullshit.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And I thought Blair Witch would perform well given the early reviews, damn.

Lionsgate got La La Land and possibly Hacksaw Ridge lined-up that could score well at the box-office.

Power Rangers could very well be another bomba domestically but do good business overseas, we'll see.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Damn Suicide Squad could've done close to 900million with China. Holy shit it couldve earned more then Batman Vs Superman! It looks like it will come eerily close to the domestic total anyway.

kswiston

Just for fun, here are the 7th weekend (domestic) grosses for all MCU era Marvel/DC comic films (spring 2008 to present)

Code:
TITLE					SEVENTH WEEKEND GROSS (DOM)
Avengers				$8,905,467
The Dark Knight				$8,622,879 (Labor Day weekend)
Guardians of the Galaxy			$8,102,358
The Dark Knight Rises			$6,116,335 (Labor Day weekend)
Iron Man				$5,620,375
Deadpool 				$4,897,941
Suicide Squad				$4,710,000
Avengers: Age of Ultron			$3,675,057
Captain America: The Winter Soldier	$3,664,058
Ant-Man					$3,073,116
Iron Man 3				$2,956,855	
Iron Man 2				$2,872,252
Captain America: Civil War		$2,331,622
Captain America: The First Avenger	$1,928,367 (Labor Day weekend)
X-Men: Days of Future Past		$1,893,127
Thor: The Dark World			$1,341,763
Thor					$1,145,076	
Batman v Superman			$1,050,468	
The Amazing Spider-Man 2		$953,927
X-Men Origins: Wolverine		$933,573
Amazing Spider-Man			$758,807	
Man of Steel				$749,233	
The Wolverine				$748,594
X-men: First Class			$635,586
The Incredible Hulk			$423,150
X-Men: Apocalypse			$410,257	
Fantastic Four (2015)			$226,969	
Watchmen				$199,114	
Green Lantern				$183,505

A few films had their 7th weekend land on Labor Day weekend. Labor Day typically results in a 20-30% better drop than a film would normally have.

Suicide Squad had the 7th best 7th weekend out of the 29 films listed.

Majora

I don't think the Bridget Jones films have ever done especially well in the US compared to overseas. I went to see it in a London cinema over the weekend and the showing was completely sold out (must have been the most lop-sided movie, demographically, I've ever seen at the cinema - about 90% women in their mid 20s to 40s, 10% gay men). Looking at the figures it's doing just fine overseas. Another example of the US not equalling the world.

I thought it was a pretty mediocre movie to be honest, but better than the awful second one at least.

kswiston

Suicide Squad wasn't going to break $900M, or beat BvS with China. China would have needed to be in the $150M range for $900M to happen. The only comic films over that mark are Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Calling it, WW is gonna make a billion.

I think that prediction goes in the same box as those "ID4R over $1B" predictions from last year.

Anth0ny

Damn Suicide Squad could've done close to 900million with China. Holy shit it couldve earned more then Batman Vs Superman! It looks like it will come eerily close to the domestic total anyway.

yeah I never expected this.

joker and harley quinn are bigger than superman.

pestul

Why did they need 35 million for Bridget Jones?

And I don't mean no harm but Renee looks like she is in pain
After the plastic surgery, she really has to force the squinty-eyed look. I haven't seen the film, but even from the trailer you can see that look come and go on the fly.

I'll still see Blair Witch but not for full ticket price. I'm a big fan of the original and I quite liked Book of Shadows despite the producers' interference, but the trailer for this made it look like a bigger-budget, louder remake of the first and the reviews are worse than I expected. I'll see it out of love for the franchise but I don't expect to find it very good.

kswiston

I assume that the main cast of Bridget Jones wanted to be paid for the cash-in sequel. $35M isn't all that much these days though.

Sully has a shot at $150M domestic. If it hits $148.1M, it will pass Gran Torino to become Eastwood's second biggest film. He will probably remain the only feature film/wide release director in history to have his biggest two films happen after the age of 80.

Schlorgan

ok lets do this

Jurassic World
The Avengers
Minions
Alice in Wonderland

no

No Avatar? ;P

Toothless

Disappointed Sully dropped so well. Very meh film, but I suppose the older target audience enjoys it thanks to the (admittedly very good) performance by Hanks.

Looking forward to catching Bridget Jones later today!

Expectations were too high, so even though it'll probably make money, it's going to be all about how much more it could have made. It doesn't help that it will also be compared to the original's box office success, which continues to remain one of the most wildly successful films ever made when compared to its budget.

Won't lie, I was really expecting Blair Witch to be a hit since it was directed by Adam Wingard and was kept entirely under raps until a few months ago.

Sure but this is only the first weekend domestic.

It's going to plummet like a rock next weekend. Most horror movies do anyway, but check out that audience score. Movie is dogshit in the eyes of its target audience. If the total budget is $25m (5 production + 20 marketing), it's going to struggle hard to break even theatrically.

Penguin

Did Ben-Hur open in a new market this weekend? Seems like a solid international take for this late in the game.

ok lets do this

Jurassic World
The Avengers
Minions
Alice in Wonderland

no
I hate Jurassic World with a burning passion (deeply, intensely, and somewhat irrationally), but no, SS is worse. And it sure as fuck isn't better than either Avengers, and honestly not even Phantom Menace. I've only seen Alice in pieces, but it would be hard for me to call it worse either. Haven't seen the other 3.

Suicide Squad is a fundamentally broken movie. It has the worst pacing and plot structure of any movie I've ever seen, period. It sits alongside Grown Ups and Snow White and the Huntsman as one of the worst made movies I've seen in theatres, despite its mostly enjoyable cast.

Ridley327

Won't lie, I was really expecting Blair Witch to be a hit since it was directed by Adam Wingard and was kept entirely under raps until a few months ago.

Unfortunately for Wingard, it seems like his films get noticed only when they hit video. You're Next got a lot of hype and marketing (sound familiar?), only to wind up DOA when it came out theatrically. The Guest suffered an even worse fate, since it was never in wide release.

Penguin

Well the Suicide Squad 700 thread is going about as well as I predicted it would go last week.

I guess everyone has their own niche/bubble, it is weird though how many people didn't know it crossed 700 million since happened a week or so ago and there's a weekly box-office thread. I guess many don't pop into them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom