• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
j73y50.jpg

Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire premieres on Sunday, September 25th on HBO. It took a while for S1 to get rolling last year, but once the groundwork had been laid, the season really took off and became something special. The show boasts a talented writing team, a great ensemble cast, and a production crew/budget that puts together one of the better looking shows on TV these days. In my opinion, this is one of the best shows currently airing, and everything is lined up for a great second season.
Wikipedia said:
Boardwalk Empire is a period drama focusing on Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (based on the historical Enoch L. Johnson), a political figure who rose to prominence and controlled Atlantic City, New Jersey during the Prohibition period of the 1920s and 1930s. Nucky interacts with several historical figures in both his personal and political life, including mobsters, politicians, government agents, and the common folk who look up to him. The federal government also takes an interest in the bootlegging and other illegal activities in the area, sending agents to investigate possible mob connections but also looking at Nucky's lifestyle – expensive and lavish for a county political figure.
Links:

Videos

Cast:
ippl4z.jpg

30dgchd.jpg

24wtvdt.jpg

3520vf4.jpg

x1izc7.jpg

Also, Jack Huston is on as a full time cast member this season playing Richard Harrow:
iq41h.jpg

New Characters for S2:

- 'Boardwalk Empire' Adds 'Sopranos' Mentor Dominic Chianese
Dominic Chianese is trading one HBO crime drama for another.

As first reported by TV Guide, the actor who played Tony Soprano’s (James Gandolfini) mentor and surrogate father Junior on The Sopranos has booked a six-episode arc on the cable network’s Boardwalk Empire, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

On the Atlantic City period drama, Chianese will play
Leander Whitlock, described as a contemporary of Dabney Coleman’s Commodore Louis Kaestner, Nucky’s (Steve Buscemi) mentor and predecessor in Atlantic City.

Veteran actor Chianese’s numerous credits include The Godfather: Part II and a seven-episode arc last season on Damages.
4narM.jpg

Deadline:
Charlie Cox (Stardust) is joining the cast of HBO's period drama Boardwalk Empire, which just won top Golden Globes and SAG awards, in a recurring role. The network is mum on his character but an earlier breakdown lists him as
a charming and dangerous immigrant from Northern Ireland with possible ties to the IRA.

q5113.jpg

Screenrant:
One tantalizing bit of casting news is the announcement that the role of Benjamin ‘Bugsy’ Siegel has gone to Rescue Me actor, Michael Zegen.

S4tWw.jpg

As made apparent by the above picture, Zegen will clearly portray
a much younger and less experienced Siegel than the one Warren Beatty portrayed in the 1991 Barry Levinson film Bugsy. In fact, age is the reason Zegen’s ‘Bugsy’ will go by the more familiar version of Siegel’s first name, ‘Benny,’ instead of the moniker that would eventually make him infamous – as that nickname wasn’t adopted until the late 1930s.

Deadline:
Heather Lind has joined another HBO series as a recurring, period drama Boardwalk Empire. On the prohibition-era saga, she will play Katy, a maid. Lind, repped by ICM and Troy Nankin, just wrapped her run opposite Al Pacino in the Broadway production of The Merchant of Venice.

UI7U4.jpg
Promo pics:
JqQp1.jpg

jsgS0.jpg

sYb6i.jpg

NjxKC.jpg

6fBoj.jpg

miIeZ.jpg

vgn9p.jpg

84dGc.jpg

Reviews
None yet.

Gifs:

evuqk.gif
de2wqb.jpg

2jaj1np.jpg
eaf9ko.jpg

2m5o7b5.jpg

I've forgot the finer details or the last episode or two of the first season. I'll have to re-watch it.

Between this, Treme and Game of Thrones HBO is still the king of TV <3

Gila

Holy crap, I never got into this show. But seeing the cast, and having a character for Lucky Luciano just made the deal

Definitely gonna check out season 1

Where's the blu-ray (or DVD) release of season 1 HBO? It should be coming out today or next week. And yet there's no word at all.

Season 1 was pretty good, but not great, but I have high hopes for this season. Especially since the best character (Half-faced sniper man) is going to have a larger role.

Leunam

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Where's the blu-ray (or DVD) release of season 1 HBO? It should be coming out today or next week. And yet there's no word at all.

Yeah no shit, I've been waiting for a long time and the damn thing has yet to come out. :mad:

Really looking forward to this season.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I have no idea why they haven't slapped a release date on it yet. It's very odd.

Wray

Good shows start to hit their stride in S2 and then peak in S3 or S4. I think Boardwalk Empire is such a show.

Vega

I've never been more hyped up for a show's return. I hope we see a lot more of Capone. Stephen Graham is a badass.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've forgot the finer details or the last episode or two of the first season. I'll have to re-watch it.
It's well worth a rewatch - I missed a lot of details and foreshadowing the first time around. They were very deliberate and patient and how they developed everything in the first season.

Speaking of rewatches, I just finished up the penultimate episode "Paris Green" last night. Excellent episode with a ton of plot movement, though mostly in the form of dialogue rather than action (with one exception.) Sebso's demise is an amazing scene - the way it's shot, the shocking conclusion, the utter madness of it all.

o09vef.jpg

There's also the HUGE argument between Nucky and Margaret that gets out of hand (they talk corruption, Margaret's husband, feminine hygiene, etc...) as well as a big blowup between Nucky and Eli that results in Nucky pulling Eli off the sheriff gig. In addition, there's the crazy scene where Harrow talks about killing the mother and some children from the D'Allessio family in an attempt to get at the brothers. His deadpan delivery is chilling. Anyway, great episode. I'll finish up with the finale after HBO replays it this Sunday.

Jonm1010

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Yes!
need to get the tastes of True Blood out of my mouth.

Heard that.

My girlfriend loves True Blood but for me it is by far HBO's weakest long lasting TV show drama. Possibly ever. It's just not that good.

bud

really, really looking forward to this. good to know huston's a full time cast member this time around.

i should read a plot summary for season 1 because i'm a bit hazy on the political side of things.

cory.

Banned
Cornballer said:
I have no idea why they haven't slapped a release date on it yet. It's very odd.
Yeah, it's extremely puzzling, especially when the soundtrack's still being released this week.

Meier

Can't wait! Season 1 definitely started a bit slow but once it hit it's stride it was magnificent. I too forgot a little bit about what happened at the end of season 1... sigh, if only I had HBO Go. :mad:

HBO is so damn smart with their show pacing.. get me to sign up with Game of Thrones, keep me with Curb, drop another season of Boardwalk Empire on me and then before ya know it we'll be back to GoT again. So good.

Jonm1010

Banned
Meier said:
Can't wait! Season 1 definitely started a bit slow but once it hit it's stride it was magnificent. I too forgot a little bit about what happened at the end of season 1... sigh, if only I had HBO Go. :mad:

HBO is so damn smart with their show pacing.. get me to sign up with Game of Thrones, keep me with Curb, drop another season of Boardwalk Empire on me and then before ya know it we'll be back to GoT again. So good.

Yeah they are pretty brilliant with that. Signed up last November for GoT, they got me hooked on BE. Gave me Treme and my girlfriend has to watch True Blood.

They basically make it impossible to cancel.

Leunam

Hard to believe Michael Stulhbarg is also the father from A Serious Man. Two completely different characters and he plays them both perfectly.

Speevy

Banned
I have to say that the more I reflect on it, the less I want scenes like those referred to from the episode "Paris Green". But still, good show.

Angry Fork

Very hyped. First season was awesome. I'm debating whether I should watch week to week or wait until the season is over and watch them all in one shot.

Speevy said:
I have to say that the more I reflect on it, the less I want scenes like those referred to from the episode "Paris Green". But still, good show.
Well, it was the culmination of everything that was building all season, and they had to resolve a number of conflicts. It wouldn't work every week, but I thought it was great for the end of the season.

Meier said:

Don't forget Luck in January (Dustin Hoffman/David Milch/Michael Mann) which should be fucking amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great OP!

I really enjoyed the first season. A little slow, but decadent and classy. Damn. Just looking at the images in the op makes my mouth water. Definitely one of the best looking shows on TV. Also, Jimmy is awesome.

I need to read a summary of the first season though. I forgot most of the characters and their motivations, etc.

Cornballer said:
It's well worth a rewatch - I missed a lot of details and foreshadowing the first time around. They were very deliberate and patient and how they developed everything in the first season.
I'd love to re-watch the entire season but I don't think I have time to.

I'll probably watch the last three which will roll into the next season perfectly :)

I was going to rewatch it before the new season, but Breaking Bad is on Netflix and I've never seen it. So that's taking my TV time right now. Maybe I'll watch the last few episodes of Boardwalk Empire before it premiers.

- ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Previews Season 2 in Seattle – Free Screening and Speakeasy Bar Crawl
The Seattle preview of Boardwalk Empire Season 2 takes place on Friday September 16 in Belltown. Exact details of the location and bar crawl will be sent to guests once their attendance has been confirmed. Fans attending the exclusive screening event will be asked to bring canned food items to donate to Northwest Harvest on the evening.

If you’re 21 and over, then you can apply to attend this free screening event by emailing: seattlecrawl@hbo.com. Note that admittance is not guaranteed, and will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.
More info via the link.

This Sunday HBO is replaying the last three episodes from S1:
Code:
[b]Next US TV Airings:[/b]
Sun. Sept. 18	8:00 PM		HBO 	The Emerald City	#1.10
Sun. Sept. 18	9:00 PM		HBO 	Paris Green		#1.11
Sun. Sept. 18	10:00 PM	HBO 	A Return to Normalcy	#1.12
Check your local listings for details. This would be a good way to refresh yourselves as to where things stand at the beginning of S2.

bud

now that louie's season is done, i still have breaking bad. when breaking bad's season's done, i'll still have boardwalk empire. and after i won't have to to too long for luck. that's a pretty great, steady flow of serial dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom