• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick's one wish: "[to have CoD] be an online subscription service tomorrow."

Alucrid

Banned
lsslave said:
He is burning bridges with the gaming community, ruining high selling franchises (not just quality, the sales. See: Tony Hawk series / Guitar Hero series)

Why does Activision have this "lets destroy our franchises so they are worthless" mentality? I know EA used to but they learned quick after they took such a huge PR hit last generation and Ubi / Activ didn't learn from this?

Edit: Not to mention companies still go TO Activision? They aren't the most popular group in gaming and some of their actions are well known throughout the industry, even GAF hears about the dick moves. I can't figure out why after the IW fiasco Bungie went to them...

The gaming community or gaf? I doubt that 90% of the people who play CoD feel the same way or even know about Kotick's insane ramblings.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alucrid said:
The gaming community or gaf? I doubt that 90% of the people who play CoD feel the same way or even know about Kotick's insane ramblings.

I've had people who if I admitted to going to GAF would mock me (GAF is my hive of geekiness, in real life this part of me doesn't exist. At all. Ever.) who are sick of guitar hero, tony hawk, and so pissed off about MW2 map pack pricing they are buying Medal of Honor instead of Black Ops.

Of course these people are pissed off enough about the map backs BUT THEY STILL FUCKING BOUGHT THEM :lol God people are stupid.

lsslave said:
He is burning bridges with the gaming community, ruining high selling franchises (not just quality, the sales. See: Tony Hawk series / Guitar Hero series)

Why does Activision have this "lets destroy our franchises so they are worthless" mentality? I know EA used to but they learned quick after they took such a huge PR hit last generation and Ubi / Activ didn't learn from this?

Edit: Not to mention companies still go TO Activision? They aren't the most popular group in gaming and some of their actions are well known throughout the industry, even GAF hears about the dick moves. I can't figure out why after the IW fiasco Bungie went to them...

Doesn't look like he gives shit to that. He doesn't care what happens to Activision after he is gone. He is cashing out big time. $240 million from stock sales over the last two years.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Wallach

Dear Mr. Kotick:

MF3C8.gif

VaLiancY

1276879860959.jpg

He's making Activision a shit ton of money, I respect that. It's just the way how he's sucking the life out of the consumer which fucks it all up.

Vinci

Danish
poppabk said:
Oh yeah he is going to basically set up a protection racket to strongarm $500 million out of Gamestop and then turn around and give it to the devs.

All heart, that guy.

VaLiancY said:
He's making Activision a shit ton of money, I respect that. It's just the way how he's sucking the life out of the consumer which fucks it all up.

Consumers don't seem to mind, thus far.

JesseZao

MirageDwarf said:
I've no doubt the Activision published Bungie game will be subscription based game.
The fact that it's a ten-year deal and not a 5 game with a new IP deal suggests that for sure /tinfoilhat(i hope)

VaLiancY

Vinci said:
Consumers don't seem to mind, thus far.

Truth. $60 shitty PC ports are slowly becoming the norm. Bringing back dedicated servers to Black Ops was a smart move but I know for a fact they won't have a MDK which kills their ability to make money and for me to play better community made maps. Which means I won't be buying but it will sell like hot cakes anyway.:lol

Vinci

Danish
BigNastyCurve said:
I won't pay for that shit. At all. I loved MW2 but I'm not ponying up $10-$15 a month to play it. It ain't that fucking good.

Why do people keep throwing out $10-$15 every time this is brought up? It's not some MMO. It'll be below $10, unless Kotick is less intelligent than he seems to be.

PseudoPrime1979

Neo Member
I love the nearsightedness of Kotick assuming he can fleece his development partners and consumers and still make a profit.

In 5 years, Activision won't have a single IP worth shit that isn't made by Blizzard, and if BK can find some way to fuck that up, I am sure he will.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
On a related note is the resurgence pack the first time a map pack has gotten TV commercials?

BananaBomb said:
Am I the only one willing to watch with glee as Kotick's company falls apart at the expense of Bungie and all the CoD studios?

What's the worst that could possibly happen to Kotick at this point?

Oh no, he lost a few million, guess he better go back to swimming in gold!

Yeah at this point it's now a "CEO runs company into the ground, runs off with millions from short-sighted shareholders" situation in progress.

Kittonwy

Banned
PseudoPrime1979 said:
I love the nearsightedness of Kotick assuming he can fleece his development partners and consumers and still make a profit.

In 5 years, Activision won't have a single IP worth shit that isn't made by Blizzard, and if BK can find some way to fuck that up, I am sure he will.

They've been trying to run IPs into the ground for years now. They ran Tony Hawk into the ground but they always end up with another IP to milk, as long as they have the dough they can sign a studio up for the next big thing, make it a hit and milk it for all its worth.

superbank said:
This just in: COD: NaDs (Call of Duty: Nickels and Dimes) sells 100 copies total

Naa, it's going to sell ALOT since it'll come with 6 month subscription, and 6 months later people who are devoted it to will realize that they've been robbed and the only way to payback is literally pay back...

Nice wish....

519OthrHAYL._SS500_.jpg

I know Bobby is everyone's favorite punching bag and it's easy to get caught up in the gang mentality, but I have to say it takes a very special and specific kind of twisted asshole to think that bleeding your established customer base equals "more inspired, creative opportunities"

Eric WK

If the game had better support (think Blizzard or Valve level support), new maps, weapons and customization options released regularly, crazy amounts of realistic character customization that didn't break game balance, extensive leaderboards and built in clan/ladder support with online stat tracking/community features, yeah, you bet your fucking ass I'd pay $10/month to play it.

That goes for any shooter from any publisher, really. If it's good enough and the community is there, yes I will pay a subscription fee. But it has to be a top of the line experience.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
shagg_187 said:
Naa, it's going to sell ALOT since it'll come with 6 month subscription, and 6 months later people who are devoted it to will realize that they've been robbed and the only way to payback is literally pay back...
Well, I wouldn't buy it. Hopefully my hardcore cod friends will listen to the word of reason.

Aeris130

Hopefully it'll keep revenues brisk until Blizzard has finished D3, don't want bobby sinking his claws too deep into that franchise until it's finished.

Alucrid

Banned
lsslave said:
I've had people who if I admitted to going to GAF would mock me (GAF is my hive of geekiness, in real life this part of me doesn't exist. At all. Ever.) who are sick of guitar hero, tony hawk, and so pissed off about MW2 map pack pricing they are buying Medal of Honor instead of Black Ops.

Of course these people are pissed off enough about the map backs BUT THEY STILL FUCKING BOUGHT THEM :lol God people are stupid.

Exactly, that's why he thinks he can pull this off. I was talking to a few friends and asked what multiplayer game they're getting next. One said, "We're probably getting Black Ops, right?" Wrong, or at least me and my other friend aren't because CoD is pretty boring nowadays.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alucrid said:
Exactly, that's why he thinks he can pull this off. I was talking to a few friends and asked what multiplayer game they're getting next. One said, "We're probably getting Black Ops, right?" Wrong, or at least me and my other friend aren't because CoD is pretty boring nowadays.

Yeah... its going to divide the industry between the people to dumb to know they are getting fucked over and those who are smart enough.

For those of my friends who are whores for CoD I don't mind not gaming with them, its ALL they play and I like to rotate my multiplaying so as not to burn out :D

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
The guy knows how to create revenue though.
Modern Warfare 2 made a shit load of money and I'm not just talking about the retail product.
Those map packs did extremely well.

If you can get your customers taking $15 map packs up the ass you might as well take it a step further. :lol
Don't forget about not paying the developers!

I don't see why consumers would bend over for this when there's plenty of free to play shooters on every platform COD is on. Then again if the consumers are dumb enough to buy it then Activision should sell it. Yay capitalism!

neoism

Mr. Kotick: I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they're playing on Xbox Live today, we've had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live. I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven't really had a chance to do that yet, so that would be my snap of the fingers.
shaqlaughswalk.gif

neoism

Aeris130 said:
Hopefully it'll keep revenues brisk until Blizzard has finished D3, don't want bobby sinking his claws too deep into that franchise until it's finished.
Blizzard won't let that happen. If it wasn't for D3, and Bungle.. :( Activision wouldn't get any of my monies..

What's sad is there is a lot of people who would stick up for this crap. The people who would constantly pay more for more weapon and skins every month if they could. Leave the MMO crap out of FPS games.

Retro

speculawyer said:
I think you need some context for that . . . that is just a phrase.

Doesn't really need a context, it was provided just to show that the whole "Exploited" punchline in the comic is really something he said. The quote and context are in the article I linked to.

Anyways... This guy makes Tim Langdell look like a Care Bear. The videogame industry is at that point where the people who are running the show don't see it as anything more than another craze to milk...

In other words, Comic Books right when Superman was killed, Batman was broken and there were people buying 12 copies of ever 4 silverfoil variant cover because the guys running the presses saw a milk-able fad and thought they could get away with it. Which they did, and look at how the world treats Comics compared to, say, 15 years ago.

Even the economy is the same, though admittedly there's nobody buying multiple copies of the same game and hoping to turn a profit on them... but the gouging sure feels about the same. :lol

Hopefully the creative side of things will counter the insanely greedy business side.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ok, and am I the only willing to bet as fucking stupid as this idea is. It'll make him a fucktonne more money as the players he loses he'll way more than make up for in the fucking idiots that will pay like $5 a month to play CoD?

Cindres said:
Ok, and am I the only willing to bet as fucking stupid as this idea is. It'll make him a fucktonne more money as the players he loses he'll way more than make up for in the fucking idiots that will pay like $5 a month to play CoD?
What?

Yasae

Banned
So basically he's saying what I've been saying for years now.

Good one Kotick, you finally caught on. Now let's talk about revenue splits... :lol

Meh, Modern Warfare 2 is likely to be the last one worth playing anything anyway. That Black Ops E3 demo was Same Shit, Different Map.

Good luck with that subscription!

Edit:

Yeah, you could say the same about every other Call of Duty, but the point is this time I'M sick of the series. :p

What's with the sudden outrage, GAF? You KNOW you'd gladly pay up for it the same way you paid up for those $15 maps. After all, you're paying to play online, right XboxGAF?

Bungie's going to have to be careful that their next game isn't raped by Activision, or it's seriously going to hurt their reputation. Bungie's fans are loyal as hell and being screwed as horrendously bad as Activision likes to, isn't going to go over well at all.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Holy shit, he's right. It would offer an incredible experience for all of us. Take my money now Kotick!! Take it all!!

Top Bottom