• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick's one wish: "[to have CoD] be an online subscription service tomorrow."

Dizzle24

Its sad that everyone here complaining will ultimately not effect the outcome of Kotick's dream of raping gamers' wallets.

There's probably 1000:1 of kids who will willingly pay whatever he suggests for a subscription service, compared to those who refuse to.

Tobor

DonMigs85 said:
The fools willing to pay for this service will more than make up for the revenue loss from any disgruntled players.

Precisely. Churn out a map and a new gun every now and then and you'll have subscribers for years.

I hate the thought of paying for XBLive and this just to play CoD online.

And can you imagine micro-transactions with every perk, weapon, or class you unlock?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
lsslave said:
He is burning bridges with the gaming community, ruining high selling. franchises (not just quality, the sales. See: Tony Hawk series / Guitar Hero series)

Why does Activision have this "lets destroy our franchises so they are worthless" mentality? I know EA used to but they learned quick after they took such a huge PR hit last generation and Ubi / Activ didn't learn from this?

Edit: Not to mention companies still go TO Activision? They aren't the most popular group in gaming and some of their actions are well known throughout the industry, even GAF hears about the dick moves. I can't figure out why after the IW fiasco Bungie went to them...

Deals like the Bungie deal take a good amount of time. This was well in talks and probably finalized before all the IW stuff went down.

I think the most interesting part of the article is where it says that two of the most successful CEOs in the world dropped out of college.

Everything I was taught as a child is a lie.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I hate the thought of paying for XBLive and this just to play CoD online.

And can you imagine micro-transactions with every perk, weapon, or class you unlock?
I pray this never happens. There are tons of people who is willing to pay money for new weapons and I think eventually it will evolve to DLC for everything you mentioned. I hate MMO like system, the people who pays more gets a huge ass advantage.

I will boycott any game that will do this though but it won't matter.

Trickster

Dizzle24 said:
Its sad that everyone here complaining will ultimately not effect the outcome of Kotick's dream of raping gamers' wallets.

There's probably 1000:1 of kids who will willingly pay whatever he suggests for a subscription service, compared to those who refuse to.

With Medal of Honor coming out I kinda doubt it. People will see that and go "hey this game is prettier than call of duty, plays like call of duty. And it's free to play online!"

Yasae

Banned
Dizzle24 said:

Even if the difference was minimal, that's how majority rules. It's how Bush got into office. Twice.
With Medal of Honor coming out I kinda doubt it. People will see that and go "hey this game is prettier than call of duty, plays like call of duty. And it's free to play online!"
Yep. BC2 has probably cut into their share a fair bit too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Chinner said:
it'll happen. they won't care if they lose 75% of their online userbase it'll still get them a tidy profit.

It's pretty much already the case now, 2 map packs both at 15 dollars released months apart.

Gomu Gomu said:
If I could snap my fingers, and instantly make one change in this industry, I would get Koteck to choke on a $50 bill.
57b5f9d267bf83ee.jpg

Danielsan said:
First they will make you pay for the online in Call of Duty.
You will cry foul and bitch but you will give in.
Then they will raise the price.
Rinse and repeat.
I have not put a red cent down on Call of Duty beyond the original games.

No Stimulus Pack. No whatever the new Pack is. It's not worth $15 to me.

I also sold GRAW when they introduced that $15 "add-on" which cut the community in half (those who did not have the add-ons could not join the lobby of those that did).

so no. some of us will cry foul and bitch and will never give in. and our money will be spent on other games made and promoted by people who won't be trying milk us dry.

$0.02

This will happen and it will work... in the short term.

It won't last though, as these ADD riddles junkies will eventually want to move over to the "new hotness" and leave their old COD games behind.

Shambles

Eat a dick Kotick. I just cancelled my SC2 preorder.

We'll see if I cave when the professional version with LAN support gets to a reasonable price

ToxicAdam

"Today, probably 70% of our operating profit comes from non-console-based video games. So, while you might see a month-to-month change or volatility against expectations, that doesn't really get us too concerned." Gamasutra contacted Activision to clarify whether this 70% figure includes things like console DLC, and were told it does not, so that seems to represent PC and iPhone game sales, and more significantly, World of Warcraft subscriptions

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...g_Profit_Comes_From_NonConsoleBased_Games.php

Kottick said:
When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world.
He lost me right there

If the opinions of GAF were the majority COD would sell a couple hundred copies every fall and not be in the top 100 most played games on XBL. :lol

Vinci

Danish
AwesomeSyrup said:
If the opinions of GAF were the majority COD would sell a couple hundred copies every fall and not be in the top 100 most played games on XBL. :lol

Actually, the actions of GAF - or at least a decent percentage of its console-side and PC audience - is exactly why COD is one of the most played games online.

Vinci said:
Actually, the actions of GAF - or at least a decent percentage of its console-side and PC audience - is exactly why COD is one of the most played games online.
So what are you saying is the same people who hate on Activision/Bobby Kotick/COD are hiding in their basements playing MW2? :lol

Sullen

Crakatak187 said:
I pray this never happens. There are tons of people who is willing to pay money for new weapons and I think eventually it will evolve to DLC for everything you mentioned. I hate MMO like system, the people who pays more gets a huge ass advantage.

That isn't how MMOs work, but it definitely is how console DLC is going to work. You guys gobble this shit up, take a beating to your wallets, and praise the game afterward for its 'streamlined feel', infinitely respawning enemy closets, and EXTREME GRAPHIX. They get away with this shit cause half retarded console fans with no standards and loose assholes take it. It's no surprise they keep raping them more and more. :lol Console gamers bring this shit upon themselves, and then whine about it in turn.

Xavien

Beer Monkey said:
Uh, yeah, so what's your point? Dumb people think Activision won't push around divisions that they own. But Activision does not own Bungie. Bungie has all the power in that relationship. Think Valve + EA.

I remember hearing those exact same words said about Blizzard; and here we are.

Xavien said:
I remember hearing those exact same words said about Blizzard; and here we are.
I know what you mean, what with the Starcaft 2 Battle.net shenanigens but Vivendi(Activision now) technically owned Blizzard, and Bungie is still independent.

The whole damn industry has its sights set on Call of Duty, trying to replicate its success. Maybe Bobby thinks it's some special franchise because it's popular...but no. Give people a reason to jump ship to some other shooter and they will.

Top Bottom