• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bolt II: Digital Storm's dual-booting Steam Machine, starting from $1899

RulkezX

That's because they haven't come out yet. One of the main complaints with PC gaming in regards to console gaming is ease-of-use. This is what the Steambox is trying to solve. I imagine that you'll be able to see on Steam whether or not your Steambox will be able to run a game and how well it will run. Not to mention casuals won't have to build their own PC as it's already pre-built.

Nonsense , steam machines are still going to come with a wide range of hardware and all the inherent problems this brings.

The SteamOS isn't going to magically solve the hardware variation problem.

These boxes are still going to have all the jank that comes with PC gaming.

okayfrog

Banned
Nonsense , steam machines are still going to come with a wide range of hardware and all the inherent problems this brings.

The SteamOS isn't going to magically solve the hardware variation problem.

These boxes are still going to have all the jank that comes with PC gaming.

Notice how I said "your Steambox" as if to say that it'll show whether or not the one that you bought will be able to play said game and how well it would play.

A Titan is more expensive and less powerful then a GTX 780 TI, I don't see why they'd include it.

I'd imagine if it's entirely built towards gaming it would have either a 780 or a 290X. If it's really good it would have the aforementioned 780 TI. If it has a lesser GPU it won't be worth it.

Slixshot

Banned
I know people who buy $3000+ prebuilt PCs from Dell and shit, although I've convinced them to build their own now. I'm sure these will sell to people with money who don't know what they're doing.

I have money. I don't know what I'm doing. This sounds like it was made for me!

mr2xxx

Banned
Not sure if people are actually surprised. There has always been a high end PC market, saving $50-$100 on the OS was never going to make a big impact on prices.

Haha this thread is going to be great. I wonder how long until this is used as the benchmark against which console prices are measured in arguments about Steam machines rather than the $500 model announced earlier?

VXLbeast

One thousand four hundred sixty-nine US dollars
+1
I feel like they missed the point.
The whole concept is strange. But some people will enjoy it, so that's good. But I think it's clear at this point these won't be "taking over" living rooms any time soon.

My friend who was gung-ho about steam box and was thinking of skipping next-gen for one: "I thought these were supposed to compete with consoles?"

Fox318

The GPU at that point is basically half the price.
Hell for that much, I'd much rather build on my own.

There has to be a big market of people that just want to buy PCs and not deal with maintenance.

Don't some of these companies perform upgrades for their consumers?

sekrit

Banned
I still don't get the market for these things. If someone is interested in spending that much on a PC they'd probably want to build it themselves. I also still see zero advantage in buying one of these over just plugging the PC you have into your TV.

You are thinking in very limited way. Nothing stops you from doing that and these things aren't meant to replace your desktop PC. You see, there are around 65 million steam users but lot of them only have a laptop or not so great older PC. Many of those folks don't want to build their own desktop or just can't but still want to play PC games. They probably already have a library of games and buy them from the sales etc. Valve want's them to stay that way and keep them as customers. They don't want them to go for mobile devices, tablets or even consoles instead.

Their main product is still steam and always will be. Steam machines are mainly for current steam users and PC gamers. They give people option to easily stay and get in PC gaming and also expand options for the PC gaming as whole. They aren't directly competing with consoles but if some console gamers switch sides then i doubt they mind.

okayfrog

Banned
My friend who was gung-ho about steam box and was thinking of skipping next-gen for one: "I thought these were supposed to compete with consoles?"

Your friend sounds like an idiot. Take a look at this chart. You see the Titan toward the top there? Now scroll down quite a bit and take a look at the 7870. That is the graphics card that people are best associating the PS4's graphics card with. Do you see how much more powerful the Titan is? That is why this box is $1k more than a PS4 (that plus the nicer processor, upgrade in HDD space, the fact that it's a fully functional PC, and probably other reasons). Wait until you see a Steambox with something similar to a 7870. Then you'll see the competitive console prices.

Your friend sounds like an idiot. Take a look at this chart. You see the Titan toward the top there? Now scroll down quite a bit and take a look at the 7870. That is the graphics card that people are best associating the PS4's graphics card with. Do you see how much more powerful the Titan is? That is why this box is $1k more than a PS4 (that plus the nicer processor, upgrade in HDD space, the fact that it's a fully functional PC, and probably other reasons). Wait until you see a Steambox with something similar to a 7870. Then you'll see the competitive console prices.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

Syf

Banned
Here come the generalizations that every Steam Machine will cost ~$1500 and choice doesn't exist.

Haha this thread is going to be great. I wonder how long until this is used as the benchmark against which console prices are measured in arguments about Steam machines rather than the $500 model announced earlier?

The whole concept is strange. But some people will enjoy it, so that's good. But I think it's clear at this point these won't be "taking over" living rooms any time soon.

8MgYhtn.gif

VXLbeast

My friend is not an idiot, you piece of shit. And, guess what, he was referring 7870 version, which, surprisingly, also doesn't compete price wise with consoles.

PC Gaf literally the worst.

I would support DigitalStorm again for PC purchases, but I thought Steam boxes were supposed to be fit for your Home Theater? That looks more along the likes of a regular tower PC.

sekrit

Banned
I would support DigitalStorm again for PC purchases, but I thought Steam boxes were supposed to be fit for your Home Theater? That looks more along the likes of a regular tower PC.

This is little larger than a xbone. Also nothing stops you for using a steam machine as a regular desktop PC.

Interfectum

So correct me if I'm wrong but in order to be officially called a "Steam Machine" the box has to include a certain spec (or above), a Steam controller and Steam OS?

Could there be a "Steam Machine" that doesn't include the Steam controller?

My friend is not an idiot, you piece of shit. And, guess what, he was referring 7870 version, which, surprisingly, also doesn't compete price wise with consoles.

Can you link me to the one with the 7870, I haven't seen it yet.

I think people in this thread are missing the point of Steam boxes. It's not about price or hardware strength, it's about Steam. Valve wants to be the first name when people talk about PC gaming and with these machines Steam is pre-installed and in your face.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wonder if they went with a regular HD, SSHD or SSD. SSHD seems like the best value for performance.

okayfrog

Banned

The 7870 version? Would you have a source for this version? I see the one above that has a 290 which is a better video card than the 7870, and that's priced at $500, which does compete price-wise with consoles.

Salex_

1gupt5tb.gif

I also dislike the know it all condescending attitude that I commonly see from PC GAF. But it's not just them. I see the dick waving in console youtube videos, articles, and etc. Reminds me of a certain popular religion TBH....

I think people in this thread are missing the point of Steam boxes. It's not about price or hardware strength, it's about Steam. Valve wants to be the first name when people talk about PC gaming and with these machines Steam is pre-installed and in your face.

This is true, although I'm pretty sure that Alienware still ship with Steam preinstalled too.

Exactly, it's about steam. Which is why Valve shouldn't have come up with this idea unless they were willing to sell steam machines at a loss (which isn't possible since they're not the only distributors, I know).

Edit: Otherwise I just don't see much of a market. Those that want PC's have built them or bought them, or are waiting for a cheaper alternative; they're not waiting on a 1500 dollar machine to come out so they can finally afford to play graphically superior games. Yes, I know cheaper models will be out, but 1500 dollars is expensive to me, even for high end. I figured a titan model would go at around 1000.

Now that I've seen this price, I don't think this is a good idea. I know there will be other options, but still, this is too expensive.

I don't understand what you are saying here? The Steam Machine concept is bad because some companies choose to make a higher end, more niche version than others? Of course there are going to be crazy expensive Steam Machines with high end specs, but there are also already Steam Machines announced that compete with consoles prices and specs.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

There are going to be so many potential choices I dont see how one company having a top of the line choice negates the entire concept of the Steam Machine.

4lejandro

:lol this exchange made me chuckle.

If their intention is getting these things under a TV and in the living room, any card that guarantees 1080p/60fps gaming at the highest settings should suffice, no?

Qassim

It's amazing how many people can't seem to understand that these are PCs. They can be almost any price you want them to be.

sekrit

Banned
Exactly, it's about steam. Which is why Valve shouldn't have come up with this idea unless they were willing to sell steam machines at a loss (which isn't possible since they're not the only distributors, I know).

That's the point. Their plan is not to profit from these machines directly but to keep steam more easily accessible and keep their current customers in the loop. Hardware manufacturers get profit from the machines and valve from software. The main product is still steam.

Haven't they been this for years, though?

Plus, at $1400 for a computer they're preaching solely to the high choir that's already all about some Steam.
I love this gif

KaiserBecks

In a world where people buy Alienware computers this doesn't surprise me. Have fun wasting your money, yah morons.

Some people like to pay for a nice "out-of-box experience" that doesn't require hours of research on components they've never heard of. Nothing wrong with that.

StAidan

I'd like to see a Steam machine that takes aim at mid or low markets. Heck. I don't need something more powerful than a console, I just want to play Steam games on my TV.

khaaan

For that price it should include a Windows license. Ridiculous.

Says it does in the article

While details are scarce, it will come with liquid cooling for the CPU, an advanced thermal-management system of some sort, and can optionally dual-boot both Windows and SteamOS so gamers can play games for both operating systems.
Their $499 AMD Radeon R9 270 version on the other hand only comes with the SteamOS.

sekrit

Banned
I don't know if valve has changed their plans but they also talked about a ~300$ "default" model and a very cheap less than 100$ streaming model.

Volvo pls, I can get a wii for 99.

Guys, stop complaining about the price. This is a master race PC we're talking about, not a toybox.

Top Bottom