• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOTLEG AMIIBO DEVICE BACKS UP, SPOOFS, AMIIBO FUNCTIONALITY

Teuoxton

When I purchase a disc, I'm purchasing a right to use all the content on that disc. If the developer doesn't like that, they need to make it downloadable content.
That's like saying I'm not allowed to mod my console because the hardware manufacturer doesn't like that. Perfectly legal.
This sums up my position on this perfectly!

Hypron

Would be cool if that convinced Nintendo to make the content available through other means than via Amiibos. Overpriced physical DLC is a pain in the ass. Not everyone's living in a large house with plenty of storage space. I buy all my games digitally to save space, so I ain't going to buy figurines.

Shiggy

No, legally, you are not. You're purchasing a license to play what the developer wants you to.

No. I'm purchasing a license to access the content on the disc. It would be illegal to alter the program code but it's not illegal to use the software in unintended ways or access all data in ways that weren't intended.

Obviously depends on the legislation.

Back before console makers had digital stores this was the popular justification people used to download roms. I've heard this reasoning time and time again from friends who packed their hard drives with roms.

I think it's still a totally valid use case for emulators and roms when there is no legal means to pay the copyright holder or creator for the content.

How am I going to pay technos Japan to play shadow force, an obscure arcade only beat em up from 93?

"Piracy is okay when you don't like the way something is sold" is the message I am getting in here.

It's very weird how some people here try to justify pirating.

If some people don't want to pay developers and producers for their work because they can get it for "free" they should do that. But the attempts to justify this unethical behaviour are pathetic.

If some people don't want to pay developers and producers for their work because they can get it for "free" they should do that. But the attempts to justify this unethical behaviour are pathetic.

If only 200 copies of a book were produced in 1975 by a publisher that went out of business in 1983, leaving the rights in limbo and you needed or wanted information from that book would reading it online be unethical?

Why is the title in all caps? Is this the end of gaming as we know it?

I don't think most Amiibo owners use the Amiibo for functionality anyway so I doubt this really affects anyone. Amiibos have shitty functionality. But they're Nintendo figures.

It's nowhere near as bad as it was half a year ago. In the past month, I've seen 95% of the Smash Amiibos in-store, and the couple I haven't seen have been spotted by many others.

When you have nearly 70 figures in sale, it's always difficult to find some of them, and it's no better for Skylanders.

The only ones I've yet to see in shops are the knitted Yoshis, but it seems most of the stock for my country has been destroyed by a fire :/
Where do you live? I'm genuinely curious. Where I live, here's what you can actually find in a store:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Pikachu
Zelda
Pac-Man
Sonic
Link
Diddy Kong

And that's pretty much it. And the latter 4 will often require some driving around. You can get a few more for MSRP off, say, Amazon, but here it was better half a year ago because in addition to all the above (minus Pac-Man of course) you could also find things like Kirby, Toon Link, Donkey Kong, and Sheik.

duckroll

That logic would apply to all DLC/Expansions.

EDIT: Hell you could argue pirating console games is cool because you still have to buy the hardware using that logic.

Isn't the reverse actually more accurate in this case? Lots of people use emulators to play PS1, PS2, and Wii games. As long as the games aren't pirated, no one makes any fuss. The hardware is still being emulated and the BIOS is technically "copyright infringement". Kinda the same thing here. It's pretty shady, but it's not hard to see why people don't really equate Amiibos to DLC/expansions, or other forms of software purchases. The main value of an Amiibo for most is clearly the physical collectible toy.

border

I don't think most Amiibo owners use the Amiibo for functionality anyway so I doubt this really affects anyone. Amiibos have shitty functionality. But they're Nintendo figures.

I think that's the really crappy part about this Amiibo nonsense. The figures would sell just as well without the trivial game content unlocks, but Nintendo insists on having the dumb paywall in place.

Oregano

Isn't the reverse actually more accurate in this case? Lots of people use emulators to play PS1, PS2, and Wii games. As long as the games aren't pirated, no one makes any fuss. The hardware is still being emulated and the BIOS is technically "copyright infringement". Kinda the same thing here. It's pretty shady, but it's not hard to see why people don't really equate Amiibos to DLC/expansions, or other forms of software purchases. The main value of an Amiibo for most is clearly the physical collectible toy.

True but that comparison would only really make sense if you could buy the software key separately(which would be a good idea). If you were to emulate something like the free Mii Plaza games from the 3DS that would be piracy by virtue of those only being available with the purchase of the hardware.

If some people don't want to pay developers and producers for their work because they can get it for "free" they should do that. But the attempts to justify this unethical behaviour are pathetic

If only 200 copies of a book were produced in 1975 by a publisher that went out of business in 1983, leaving the rights in limbo and you needed or wanted information from that book would reading it online be unethical?

Oh my... this thread is about games and figurines from 2014/15 not books from 1975.

duckroll

True but that comparison would only really make sense if you could buy the software key separately(which would be a good idea). If you were to emulate something like the free Mii Plaza games from the 3DS that would be piracy by virtue of those only being available with the purchase of the hardware.

My point isn't about what is or isn't "piracy" but why it makes sense that many consumers don't view it that way.

Velcro Fly

Oh my... this thread is about games and figurines from 2014/15 not books from 1975.

People think if you can't readily get something for MSRP whenever they want, it's ok to do whatever you want to get that item. Sometimes the mental gymnastics are amazing.

Bottom line is this Nintendo characters and they unlock things in Nintendo games. It's the Nintendo brand that is selling.

rrs

It's nowhere near as bad as it was half a year ago. In the past month, I've seen 95% of the Smash Amiibos in-store, and the couple I haven't seen have been spotted by many others.

When you have nearly 70 figures in sale, it's always difficult to find some of them, and it's no better for Skylanders.

The only ones I've yet to see in shops are the knitted Yoshis, but it seems most of the stock for my country has been destroyed by a fire :/

I went to a nearby target and most of the not common ones are just gone, like Nintendo still underestimates the market or I went at a bad time

Most of the people in this topic are unlikely wanting to pay 13 dollars to legitimately own these figures I would imagine. Scalper pricing is not likely the fuel for this.

Could also be why

My wife got really into Splatoon and was disappointed when I told her she couldn't order some of the gear because it was Amiibo exclusive.

This thing isn't going to do much for her, but yes, some people would like to have the benefits without buying a $13 toy.

Yea but that's the thing though. The stuff Amiibo unlock are neat, but not that interesting that it really impacts your enjoyment of the game if you don't have the amiibo functionality. Like what, would you play $1 instead to unlock the Amiibo DLC? It's not even worth that.

The only dubious Amiibo implementation so far has been Mario Party 10 in my opinion, but that entire game is wack and I blame the developer Nd Cube for that. They were just uninspired with that game and shoehorned in the most forced Amiibo functionality.

Using a hack to unlock stuff would be stupid and really borderline pirating for that 3DS Animal Crossing NFC card game. Even moreso once that F2P Wii U Animal Crossing hits.

Peltz

I think he's making a moral argument rather than a legal one. I mean, the chances of getting sued for low level copywrite violation are so low that that's the only relevant question really.

I honestly think he's making a decent legal argument rather than a moral one. Sure, a consumer won't get sued, but the amiiqo's manufacturer may need to lawyer up if this device gets popular.

cyba89

Wow, this thread got weird really fast.

People really bending here to somehow justify piracy.

I'm actually kind of fine with this. Locked content is always a no-no, and the only people that should stress out about supply constraints are people who are hardcore collectors. No should be forever screwed in the case of no availability

Wow, this thread got weird really fast.

People really bending here to somehow justify piracy.

In what way is that weird? The point that poster was obviously making is that many amiibo are impossible to find at retail in the US forcing you go online and pay a ridiculously inflated price to some 3rd party scalper. If Nintendo refuses to meet demand or provide other means to get the content, what other option is there? That is the issue at hand here, it's not as simple as people being too cheap to give Nintendo money for a product so they steal it. Piracy is bad but at what point does the manufacturer take some blame for not making the content available for purchase? That's the question I wrestle with.

Alfredo

Now I can make my own custom high quality Amiibos instead of the cheap crappy figures that Amiibo actually are. And by that, I mean buying stuff like Figmas and Nendoroids and gluing them to whatever this Amiiqo thing is.

fernoca

Now I can make my own custom high quality Amiibos instead of the cheap crappy figures that Amiibo actually are. And by that, I mean buying stuff like Figmas and Nendoroids and gluing them to whatever this Amiiqo thing is.
Don't glue them though. :p
The amiiqo costs around $70, and since you can store multiple data on it, you'll be better by just putting a Figma close by and pretend is an amiibo. :p

Fdkn

Anti-consumer has to be people's favorite word that they often misuse.

I don't know, there was some sort of consensus about on-disc dlc being anticonsumer.

Maybe that has changed now that they ask you for an overpriced toy instead of some small fee

I really want some Amiibo content but don't feel like buying Amiibo. Especially with how much of a hassle it can be. This is so tempting. But, in the end, I'm not all about that piracy, so I'll just have to go without all that cool Amiibo content. THANKS NINTENDO.

cyba89

In what way is that weird? The point that poster was obviously making is that many amiibo are impossible to find at retail in the US forcing you go online and pay a ridiculously inflated price to some 3rd party scalper. If Nintendo refuses to meet demand or provide other means to get the content, what other option is there? That is the issue at hand here, it's not as simple as people being too cheap to give Nintendo money for a product so they steal it. Piracy is bad but at what point does the manufacturer take some blame for not making the content available for purchase? That's the question I wrestle with.

I understand the problem, but this book-comparison he makes is really reaching. Amiibo rights are in limbo now?

But I'm in Germany where almost every Amiibo is readily available so what do I know.

PSqueak

Banned
Thsi could be useful for loading all your amiibos and unlocking things with just one stand, specially if you want your amiibos for the collectable angle rather than funcionality, collectors who are also avid gamers will love using their amiibos without getting their figurines off their shelves.

NeonBlack

We're talking about hard to find and barely supplied amiibos here. There was no reason for you to make a fake example.

Plus its pretty cray-cray

Also nintendo will have this shut down so fast just like activision shut down people that tried to do the same thing with skylanders.

I've got a pretty complete collection of amiibos but I don't want to open them. If this thing isn't too pricey, I could see it being useful for me.

Top Bottom