• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 24: All Aboard The Halloween Hindenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
direct download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast24.mp3

This week it's tricks, treats, and one jacked-up Jack O'Lantern!

SEGMENT ONE: HALLOWEEN PARTY MOVIES

Doug and Kevin, along with our special guests Eric and Will, discuss some horror movie favorites that would probably play well to a crowd.

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST & LISTENER MAIL

(1:06:11) Uncharted 2

(1:19:50) Magna Carta 2...AGAIN

(1:26:00) Brutal Legend

(1:34:42) Deadly Creatures, and Billy Bob Thornton's damaged mind

(1:42:08) Torchlight pimping

(1:44:50) Listener Mail - revisiting Horror Games

SEGMENT THREE: JACK CHICK'S DARK DUNGEONS (skit)

(2:08:34)

In case you missed hearing it on episode three, here's a repeat of a skit Kevin and Doug did with our guest Andrew.

here's a link to the tract, so you can read along - http://www.chick.com/READING/TRACTS/0046/0046_01.ASP

See you all in November! Happy Halloween

Kevtones

I haven't listened to last week's episode but I'm partial to focused gaming nerdery. Order break!

I hope to hear some Ginger Snaps/Cabin Fever/The Wickerman (2006) talk...

Willco

Hollywood Square
None of those were proposed. We were primarily focused on horror flicks that would play well to a party atmosphere, and not just under appreciated or personal picks.

Like, The Wicker Man in particular would probably not play well at a party.

no real spoilers in the Uncharted 2 talk

be warned, the audio quality is way off in this episode due to the loss of a track and my having to cobble together the show with a low-quality backup recording

Kevtones

I'm assuming these parties are looking to scare the guests rather than make them laugh? Cabin Fever is great in group settings if you're looking for campy fun and some memorable gross out moments...

I've got no defense for The Wicker Man.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Cabin Fever might be a decent pick, but I think there are probably a couple dozen other options I would pick ahead of it.

i really don't remember what happens during recording sessions. all i know is that i wake up in a ditch, chinos around my ankles, and a rubber with the words "call me" written along its length in sharpie dangling from my lil brown balloon knot.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hitokage said:
Wow, Doug really does review Magna Carta again as if it were the first time mentioning it.

Oh, I remember the original. Horse nipples.

Drinky Crow said:
i really don't remember what happens during recording sessions. all i know is that i wake up in a ditch, chinos around my ankles, and a rubber with the words "call me" written along its length in sharpie dangling from my lil brown balloon knot.

MEMO
TO: Self
RE: Clicking on Borecast threads to see response

Not while you're eating.

Sincerely,
You

Kevtones

Street Trash is also a good choice. The film is cheesy, weird, and totally watchable.

I need to see this Jigoku, it sounds very, very cool. I like this episode so far although it could use a little more Tom Atkins.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I find it hard to believe that Iwata would give 70 million dollars to anyone unless blackmail was involved. Nintendo's modus operandi has become strictly one of selling cheaply produced products for maximum profit largely with the aid of complicit fanboys. Furthermore, I don't think it's entirely proper to claim people suddenly got wild ideas on their own for what would be done on the Wii when Nintendo's debut video explicitly depicted people using the Wii for swordfighting and flashlight exploring. This veneer of potential is exactly what sold a significant portion of the gaming population on the system, and Nintendo has demonstrated this strategy to be far more profitable than spending money to make real playable games which exploit that advertised potential. Even better, the elderly demographic couldn't care less either way.

I remember mentioning this before somewhere, but even with the Wii MotionPlus, Nintendo refuses to lead the way in utilizing their own hardware and is content to just give hints for third parties who rarely pick up the slack. Of course, this does assume that there is hardware to utilize, but Wii Sports Resort is still too halfassed even with halfassed hardware.

Tamanon

Banned
Downloading now, my only hope is tha tDoug for some reason has a completely different opinion of Magna Carta 2 the second time around.:lol

Zombi 2/Zombie
F. W. Murnau's Faust
Jigoku (1960)
Evil Dead II
Night of the Creeps
Trick 'r Treat
Creepshow
Friday the 13th Part 3 (in 3D)
Return of the Living Dead
Coraline
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

Kevtones

Great episode and I liked the presence of additional voices. Kevin and Doug are great, but both Willco and Eric were great complements despite Eric's terrible audio quality.

Also, the Ju On game for the Wii does have some terrible controls. I think the comment that they're like that to lengthen the game is probably accurate considering how short it is. Still, it's actually sort of creepy at times but it telegraphs a great deal of the scares. I should mention I don't like any of the films so I guess that's a bit of praise.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is months late, referring to episode 14, but I just remembered a reason to defend The Beatles' existence even if you don't care for the music: the money they took in allowed George Harrison to personally finance the production of The Life Of Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom