• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Picked this up on a whim and I'm enjoying it so far. Haven't looked at any reviews or anything but I've heard they weren't too positive. The game reminds me of a budget RPG from the Gamecube/PS2 era and I like that. I thought games like this wouldn't make the transition into this gen, and we'd just be swimming in a sea of indies and big budget cinematic games. Glad I was wrong.

I picked this up for PS4, had an itch for a western RPG to play in 1080p. I hope I don't regret it, so far I've been enjoying the look of the enemies and also the relatively open areas to move around in.

Dolor

I'm glad I've read this thread and not just the metacritic score, as this is a genre I like pretty well (fantasy RPG), and I think there is enough for me to be interested in it.

Given the poor scores, it'll probably be on sale a decent amount, so I'll pick it up in the Steam summer sale or soon thereafter.

Ricker

I'm only like 20 minutes in but did any one else get a Mass Effect 1 vibe off of this?

Not at all lol,explain what makes you think of ME...Naturally I get Mars War Logs vibes from it,it uses the same sound effects when picking up stuff,it uses the same kicking and parrying animation,etc etc...I agree with Lulzwagon,I get those type of RPG feels,like Sudeki for instance...

Did the whole section to the first Boss and its pretty fun,I chose the female character and her voice acting is not great but it's not cringe worthy,the Elf Rhelmar's voice acting is great and The Captain also,he is also the same actor who did the main character in Mars ...and the dialogue is hilarious,I.m pretty sure its on purpose and somehow,it works I think hehe...

I like that you get a choice of companion to bring with you,since I made a female,I took one to aid me in what's next,hope I made a good choice...

Playing on normal,I almost died a few times,those ghost wraiths are annoying until you figure what to do...Boss fight was fun.

Jolkien

Played the introductory part of the game, pretty fun so far. On the hardest setting the first boss is a massive pain I hope you don't have to juggle infinite re spawning enemies every boss fight.

Camp Lo

Banned
USgamer 2/5
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/bound-by-flame-ps4-review-the-fall-of-icarus

It tries so hard, but it's not that good. A decent $15-20 game. Hopefully Spiders can do better on the next go-around.

There are fucking spot on with "My Vulcan is a poor man's 50 Cent."

The resemblances was uncanny to me. I had to remake my Vulcan because it was just so weird to watch.

Also, anyone looking to play through this just leave him/her named Vulcan. You're constantly referred to by that name

taco543

Idk where all the hate come from for this game when I picked it up on Tuesday most people that had the game loved it myself included. It's a great game on itinfo. accord it has a certain charm that makes you stick with it. I got it on Tuesday and since then I've logged 10 hours and I've enjoyed every minute. Sure it's not for all people but if you like euro rpgs then this is for you. I think of it like Witcher 1 combined with dark souls it's really a good game. I'd say it's worth it if anyone's on the fence it really is fun but only if you like euro rpgs or are open to trying a new rpg. I was on the fence of getting the game but what slasherjpc made me decide to buy it and I'm glad it did, everything that was said seemed to fit what I wanted and liked so thanks to him and everyone else for all the info. I also put some of my thoughts on am earlier page as well.

I made a compilation of some of the more humorous exchanges in the game: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=503824546407104

Oh my gosh, lol. A lot of use of the f word! Was not expecting that!

Anyway, I ordered my copy and will receive it Monday along with my brand new PS4! Happy birthday, me! Yaaay! I don't care if this is a "budget-y" game, fantasy RPGs are my favorite genre, and it looks like something I'll enjoy in spite of any flaws. Glad GAFfers seem to be enjoying it.

Ashodin

Just a word to the wise - the game is not about taking damage and living, you have to actively parry and guard all the time, at least at the beginning. I'm on Buffalo difficulty though, so that may mean something.

taco543

Just a word to the wise - the game is not about taking damage and living, you have to actively parry and guard all the time, at least at the beginning. I'm on Buffalo difficulty though, so that may mean something.
Actually I'm on hawk and it's the same lol just an all around tough game lol

One thing that's been bugging me but really isn't a big deal, I get the feeling the game is going to force you to be either a warrior or let the demon's powers take over. I know you have choices, but I'm guessing the story/gameplay will be more catered for warriors. I hope I'm wrong and it'll be fairly balanced.

Drewfonse

For those of you who have finished it, does it have a satisfying ending? I know that the story and narrative aren't its strong suits, but is there enough going on to make you feel somewhat engaged in what eventually happens?

Ashodin

One thing that's been bugging me but really isn't a big deal, I get the feeling the game is going to force you to be either a warrior or let the demon's powers take over. I know you have choices, but I'm guessing the story/gameplay will be more catered for warriors. I hope I'm wrong and it'll be fairly balanced.

The demon's powers are pretty damn good, thankfully I think using them doesn't auto make you an evil guy.

kaiju

Got it today. My body is ready!

bound.jpg

One thing I haven't heard much about in this thread is the crafting system, which seems real interesting to me. Also, curious to hear the benefits to going good vs. demon? I heard you can't wear helmets as a demon? What else? No idea what path to choose on the first playthrough yet.

The demon's powers are pretty damn good, thankfully I think using them doesn't auto make you an evil guy.

Ah, interesting. Not what I was expecting. I was planning to refrain from using the demon's powers the first go. At least it'll have that for playing through a second time.

cormack12

Gold Member
Also, anyone looking to play through this just leave him/her named Vulcan. You're constantly referred to by that name

Yeah, I thought that was an oversight, especially as all the dialogue has your chosen name above it. But if you read the little notes in the system menus, Vulcan is an alias you've chosen to be known by. I guess it gets round the problem of NPC's not being able to refer to you by name but still allows you to build your own character.

Ah, interesting. Not what I was expecting. I was planning to refrain from using the demon's powers the first go. At least it'll have that for playing through a second time.

From what little I've played the demon's powers are quite strong. I think there's a temptation between choosing skills from the powerful demon aspect of your build and the more arduous physical human skills. It's so tempting to throw a few fireballs. I think the balance is great on that front.

Anyhow I'll play some more today and feed back some more.

Ricker

Tell me about it lol...the swamp part where you have to clear the way,first part after the first Boss,and those damn spiders killed me about 3 times at first,until I started blocking more,using a few fireballs and especially,switching my NPC partner to defensive stance...had one health potion,no mana potions and very few upgraded gear and no helmet yet...and that's on Hawk difficulty.

Zukuu

Banned
After seeing Total Biscuit's "WTF is..." about the game, I feel I should wait for a patch before playing it. It looks like it could be a fun game with just a little bit of patching. No dodge with 2h stance? Wtf is that? The interrupt system seems also obtuse and stupid as well. How can a parry not interrupt the enemy? o_O

After seeing Total Biscuit's "WTF is..." about the game, I feel I should wait for a patch before playing it. It looks like it could be a fun game with just a little bit of patching. No dodge with 2h stance? Wtf is that? The interrupt system seems also obtuse and stupid as well. How can a parry not interrupt the enemy? o_O
Interrupting gets better depending on equipment stats and modifications mostly. Warrior is all about blocking and parrry.

Zukuu

Banned
Interrupting gets better depending on equipment stats and modifications mostly. Warrior is all about blocking and parrry.
well what's the point to parrying?

Also, what is "12 interrupt" How much is it? How many "interrupt resist" do my enemies have? It doesn't seem to be a percentage, so what does the number tell me?

Zafir

Warrior not having a dodge would be fine if everything was blockable, but it isn't. Stance dancing or just trying to run away just feels clunky when all you want to do is dodge a unblockable attack.

Also, what is "12 interrupt" How much is it? How many "interrupt resist" do my enemies have? It doesn't seem to be a percentage, so what does the number tell me?

From what I understand, parrying gives you a counter attack and possible more damage. Though I can't say for sure. As for the other stuff, not sure, need to delve into looking at that more.

Does this game have looting? Seems pretty cool, watched some of it on stream.

Yes.

GavinUK86

From what I understand, parrying gives you a counter attack and possible more damage. Thoough I can't say for sure.

Yeah, parrying automatically makes your character attack twice. Three times if you go for that upgrade. Same with the ranger stance, with dual daggers. If you dodge perfectly you auto attack either twice or three times.

The_Monk

I actually saw two different streams recently, one from a GAFfer and I do plan on picking this game up as soon as I can. :)

Unfortunately I need to budget every month and for May I already got the best I could afford right now (Child of Light). I plan on picking this up for the PS4. My local store has the PS4 version for only 49€ but I don't believe they have many copies left.

GavinUK86

I would like to know, how is the perfomance (PC version) and how good/bad does it looks

Looks alright. Nothing special. Looks clean enough. Runs 1080/60 95% of the time on my i7-2600k, 8gb RAM & a GTX660 with everything on high apart from shadows which, to keep the 60fps, I had to put to medium. Can't really notice a different either way.

Proponent

Banned
All the footage I've seen of the game it looks like a nice 360/ps3 game but not next gen, or a poor looking ps4 title. I couldn't tell how it runs.

I hope its 60 fps to make up for this.

Jolkien

All the footage I've seen of the game it looks like a nice 360/ps3 game but not next gen, or a poor looking ps4 title. I couldn't tell how it runs.

I hope its 60 fps to make up for this.

It varies (betwqeen 30 to 60), Lots of drop at the beginning of the game otherwise it looks like it's 60 in most places outside town.

This game is like if Dragon Age and The Witcher had a low-budget baby. It's pretty good, but the voice acting and the facial animations are terrible. Everything else looks fine; the armor and weapons are really well-made graphically and the environments aren't terrible.

Combat is pretty fun and immersive. It gets frustrating sometimes when you have like three or four enemies gang up on you at once and kill you quickly, but that could because I don't parry enough.

I'm maybe an hour into it, and as of right now, I'd give it a 7/10.

Ashodin

Is it impossible to attack guys with shields as a rogue (no kick ability) or am I missing something?

Correct, but if you dodge you can still counter attack into them. Also stacking interrupt breaks their block if you have a lot of it.

Corpekata

Banned
Is it impossible to attack guys with shields as a rogue (no kick ability) or am I missing something?

At the start? Not likely. You'll have to wait for them to swing and move to their sides or backs (a basic upgrade lets you sprint in combat). You'll eventually get be able to invest in interrupt improvements but if you want sure fire ways to deal with the shields, you'll need to go warrior stance or use magic.

Top Bottom