• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Dawg

Correct, but if you dodge you can still counter attack into them. Also stacking interrupt breaks their block if you have a lot of it.

At the start? Not likely. You'll have to wait for them to swing and move to their sides or backs (a basic upgrade lets you sprint in combat). You'll eventually get be able to invest in interrupt improvements but if you want sure fire ways to deal with the shields, you'll need to go warrior stance or use magic.

Thanks. I made a thread about games with good dagger/rogue gameplay not too long ago and a few people recommended this game.

So far, I like the rogue class. It's cool when you defeat a strong enemy by using normal attacks, dodge and counter attacks without losing any health.

Ashodin

Warrior stance all the way baby, gimme dem two handers.

Thanks. I made a thread about games with good dagger/rogue gameplay not too long ago and a few people recommended this game.

So far, I like the rogue class. It's cool when you defeat a strong enemy by using normal attacks, dodge and counter attacks without losing any health.

YES! When you are in the groove of the combat, it's satisfying as fuck to beat enemies.

kuppy

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and am pretty curious to see more.
Yeah, it's definitely lower budget but that sort of adds to its charm, will definitely pick this up when it's on sale.

WarLox

I haven't used my skill points yet, as I'm waiting to see my pyro skill tree. How far into the game will I have to go before the pyro skill is unlocked?

Zafir

Just watched that quick look too. Brad seemed to come to the same opinion as me on that boss. Rogue just deals with it far better than Warrior. I dunno if the dev's intended for you to use different stances for different points in the game, having talent trees suggests they kind of didn't. Unless you can get some talent later on that allows you to block more attacks?

Ashodin

I haven't used my skill points yet, as I'm waiting to see my pyro skill tree. How far into the game will I have to go before the pyro skill is unlocked?

Not very far. It's unlocked right after the tutorial area. I've noticed leveling up is quite fast in this game.

Corpekata

Banned
Just watched that quick look too. Brad seemed to come to the same opinion as me on that boss. Rogue just deals with it far better than Warrior. I dunno if the dev's intended for you to use different stances for different points in the game, having talent trees suggests they kind of didn't. Unless you can get some talent later on that allows you to block more attacks?

I'd say the game pretty clearly favors a balance. You're meant to likely specialize but not to flat out ignore the other stuff. That's why they give you nearly every ability in the start. Pyromancer in particular relies on the other trees.

I mean, you probably CAN play it just as one tree but it'd be a bit tough and time consuming in certain areas. You can block more by investing in interrupt resist.

Ashodin

I'd say the game pretty clearly favors a balance. You're meant to likely specialize but not to flat out ignore the other stuff. That's why they give you nearly every ability in the start. Pyromancer in particular relies on the other trees.

I mean, you probably CAN play it just as one tree but it'd be a bit tough and time consuming in certain areas. You can block more by investing in interrupt resist.

Yep. Specialize whatever way you want, but realize the other basic moves of the other trees are still helpful in combat (fire weapon, guardian spirits, switching to rogue for stealth hit if the opportunity arises, etc).

Zafir

Well, that boss certainly seemed rather tough as Warrior, I had the majority of my points put in warrior besides some in the flame weapon talent. Quickly realised Warrior just wasn't going to cut it. Fortunately I still managed to do it easily with rogue despite having no weapon upgrades or talents, just because the boss was so easy to avoid with the backstep.

I'll have to look for the interrupt resist, I didn't think I saw it available in the rows I've got unlocked so maybe it's in an higher tier. I will definitely put points in rogue from now on though.

My only issue right now, at the beginning, is I have no idea how I want to allocate skill points. Considering all 3 classes have their perks and situations arise as to when one is preferred to the others, I just don't know what I want to spend on what.

Zafir

My only issue right now, at the beginning, is I have no idea how I want to allocate skill points. Considering all 3 classes have their perks and situations arise as to when one is preferred to the others, I just don't know what I want to spend on what.

I'd probably just devote the most points to what ever play style you enjoy most, and put a couple in the others so they aren't neglected too much.

I'd probably just devote the most points to what ever play style you enjoy most, and put a couple in the others so they aren't neglected too much.
Would it be best to invest points in skills that up my damage stats or skills that beef me up in defense? I noticed each class has their own defense skills so I guess your defense isn't really a universal stat, as each class seems to have their own block and dodge mechanics.

Ashodin

Would it be best to invest points in skills that up my damage stats or skills that beef me up in defense? I noticed each class has their own defense skills so I guess your defense isn't really a universal stat, as each class seems to have their own block and dodge mechanics.

It's up to you whether you think you need to use more defensive skills to be more tankier or if you think you can handle the combat systems to go for more offense. I went with a mix (health regen from warrior stance, more interrupt on 2H atks)

Corpekata

Banned
Well, that boss certainly seemed rather tough as Warrior, I had the majority of my points put in warrior besides some in the flame weapon talent. Quickly realised Warrior just wasn't going to cut it. Fortunately I still managed to do it easily with rogue despite having no weapon upgrades or talents, just because the boss was so easy to avoid with the backstep.

I'll have to look for the interrupt resist, I didn't think I saw it available in the rows I've got unlocked so maybe it's in an higher tier. I will definitely put points in rogue from now on though.

Interrupt resist starts appearing in the second warrior tier, and you can also find it and put it on your armor. The final warrior ability is actually a warcry that, among other things, boosts it for a short time for you and your party.

Zafir

Interrupt resist starts appearing in the second warrior tier, and you can also find it and put it on your armor. The final warrior ability is actually a warcry that, among other things, boosts it for a short time for you and your party.

Ah yeah, I didn't see that because I hadn't put a final point into the bottom row one(Vitality).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the game that people hoped for being a Souls-Ish ARPG, of which I saw a video once of GAF where the devs explained stuff during a boss fight with a knight-type enemy?
If so, bummer, I expected that one to be good :/

Nabs

Is this the game that people hoped for being a Souls-Ish ARPG, of which I saw a video once of GAF where the devs explained stuff during a boss fight with a knight-type enemy?
If so, bummer, I expected that one to be good :/

nah, this is a completely different game.

Jolkien

Made it past the second boss fight, not sure what's the reviewers problem with the plot, so far it's pretty entertaining, the writers didn't re-invent the wheel but it keeps me engaged. It certainly not easy on Captain difficulty. The game seems to have been judged extra harsh for some reasons.

Tagyhag

I've been looking into it and I feel like I'll probably just wait for it to be featured in a bundle. There's just too many RPG's coming out this year. Really loving the art style though.

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and am pretty curious to see more.
Yeah, it's definitely lower budget but that sort of adds to its charm, will definitely pick this up when it's on sale.

yea it looks great to me. Reminds me of Enclaved on the original Xbox and PC. I am going to buy it on PC and play it with a trainer. I just want to enjoy the dialog and the cheesy story.

vakarian32

Still pretty keen to play this despite the reviews, just like Mars War Logs which i really enjoyed. I might pick it up when it's cheaper, it doesn't seem like a $40+ title to me.

cormack12

Gold Member
About six hours in at the moment. It's still enjoyable although a few things are becoming common which are bugging me. First the knockdown - I know there's a perk in warrior stance to reduce the time it takes to get up (which I'm not eligible for yet), but it's infuriating getting juggled while you can't do anything. Some attacks that do knock you down are really cheap. Thankfully most are telegraphed easy enough, but it's horrid when one catches you off guard or off camera.

Second when you do block, there is a delay before you can attack. Hence letting go of block then hitting square sometimes leave you doing nothing. You have to release block, wait a second then initiate the attack. Again it's frustrating when you have a narrow attack window to begin with.

The 1 on 1 fight with Rhandval was by far the hardest I had to endure so far, yet when he is my companion (even on defence) he is ridiculously soft and just crumbles to the deck.

Lastly, the combat is just a tad off being perfectly balanced. When you get more than two enemies on you (even with a companion) it becomes very difficult to gain the upper hand. Lately, I've been guarding with warrior stance and waiting while Edwen or Sybil mage them to death but it does take a while. And if they aggro one of them it makes it much much harder.

I feel a patch with some tweaks to timings would do this game the world of good. I also feel like I've been fighting chrysalids for 5 of the 6 hours.

HeelPower

All I've seen of this game is pretty solid and decent in LPs.

I am actually definitely putting this game under my radar and will definitely buy it at some point.

see5harp

Wow this game is super jenk. Hella terrible writing acting and combat. It plays a little bit like Witcher. I'm only now past the intro sequence but man this game is much rougher than I expected.

Darvan

I just wanted to agree with you I tried posting to their twitter account and the FB page that pause is more than upsetting. Also it would seem the rouge stance is truly the damage dealer there's no respec option and the way to go it would seem so far a mixer of warrior/rouge with a good douse of pyro.

About six hours in at the moment. It's still enjoyable although a few things are becoming common which are bugging me. First the knockdown - I know there's a perk in warrior stance to reduce the time it takes to get up (which I'm not eligible for yet), but it's infuriating getting juggled while you can't do anything. Some attacks that do knock you down are really cheap. Thankfully most are telegraphed easy enough, but it's horrid when one catches you off guard or off camera.

Second when you do block, there is a delay before you can attack. Hence letting go of block then hitting square sometimes leave you doing nothing. You have to release block, wait a second then initiate the attack. Again it's frustrating when you have a narrow attack window to begin with.

The 1 on 1 fight with Rhandval was by far the hardest I had to endure so far, yet when he is my companion (even on defence) he is ridiculously soft and just crumbles to the deck.

Lastly, the combat is just a tad off being perfectly balanced. When you get more than two enemies on you (even with a companion) it becomes very difficult to gain the upper hand. Lately, I've been guarding with warrior stance and waiting while Edwen or Sybil mage them to death but it does take a while. And if they aggro one of them it makes it much much harder.

I feel a patch with some tweaks to timings would do this game the world of good. I also feel like I've been fighting chrysalids for 5 of the 6 hours.

I agree with this, i am about four hours in and i like the dagger combat, it feels very satisfying to beat a hobbler shield guy with a few well timed spins.

I loved both witcher games, especially the first one, which seemed to come out of left field and felt soooo very different. The combat here is very close to that game, perhaps a little more fluid and with better dodges, but very close in different weapons/stances.

Zafir

Personally I think Rogue just seems better because the backstep is far more reliable than blocking. I did try the interrupt resist for Warrior, and while I managed to block a few more attacks, there was still quite a lot which would go right through. Backstep on the other hand allows you to avoid 99% of attacks. The rest are easily signposted that you can step to the side anyway.

Ashodin

I don't know what ya'll doin but my warrior is beastmode. I parry every hit I can, dodge the ones I can't by circle strafe, and smash face with flaming sword.

Jolkien

Personally I think Rogue just seems better because the backstep is far more reliable than blocking. I did try the interrupt resist for Warrior, and while I managed to block a few more attacks, there was still quite a lot which would go right through. Backstep on the other hand allows you to avoid 99% of attacks. The rest are easily signposted that you can step to the side anyway.

Are you sure you upgraded your parry to be able to parry in a 360 degree arc ?

Ashodin

Are you sure you upgraded your parry to be able to parry in a 360 degree arc ?

Exactly. Once you do this, it's child's play to quickly press Parry when you see the animation coming out, which allows you to retal with some serious damage.

Here are some impressions, after completing the game.

Music is beautiful, inspiring and epic. Music in launch trailer made BbF look almost like an AAA title.

VO is a mixed bag. Some voices are pretty good (including protagonist), most are decent but there are some… lets just say disturbing.

Gameplay. BbF is an ARPG, so it’s no surprise you’ll spend most of your time fighting. Combat is far from perfect, sometimes may feel glitchy and unfair. Prepare for few frustrating difficulty spikes. That said, combat is pretty fun, challenging and it works fine most time. Switching between fighting styles on fly and addition of fire magic makes pretty potent mix.

Story choices related to your demon side affect gameplay to some extent. By increasing your fire affinity, you’re forced to do some trade-offs (i.e. lower ice resistance). I like this system, it’s a breath of fresh air and one of strongest points of this production.

Graphics. Unfortunately game looks dated. Some locations are better than others, most are rather uninspiring. Models of Vulkan and his companions (other than Sibil) are pretty nice, npcs didn’t get the same treatment. Combat animations are passable, nothing great about it but they do the job. If you’re hoping for blades collisions (like on ‘gameplay’ trailers) – well, you can stop now as save yourself from a disappointment.

Now to negatives:
  • World. *sigh* Collection of corridors that never expand into any form of more open space.
  • Story. Even though setting seems interesting, execution falls below even modest expectations. More you play, less sense it makes. In the end its hard to care about anything or anyone, with all those flaws and holes in script.
  • Dialogs. There are some funny moments, but mostly it’s pretty trashy.
  • Choices don't seem to carry much weight.
  • Game is short. I’ve completed it in 16 hours, listening to every single (boring) dialog, doing most (generic) sidequests. I expected more.

In the end…
BbF could be called Bound by Budget. Game lacks scale. When it focus on smaller things (like defence of swamp village) it does it pretty well. When it tries to be more ‘epic’, disconnect becomes tangible. There are some MAJOR world changing events that happens during the game and all we get – is to live in their aftermath. You can’t influence them, hell there is no way you can even see them. I guess visualization of large scale battles took too much money… Its jus one of many flaws, many faults. It’s unfinished, unpolished. Story from act 3 and beyond could (and tbh should) be rewritten.

With all that said, I enjoyed my time with BbF. Maybe that’s because there aren’t that many good RPGs lately (it might sound like blasphemy but I’m not a DS fan). I played Mars War Logs and I think BbF is a step in a good direction. Spiders have pretty decent combat system, now they need to focus on story, dialogs and world-building. Looking at pace they are progressing, I doubt their next RPG will be on par with Witcher or DA series. Still - they might get there sometime in future.

If you like RPGs, BbF might be a game for you – just don’t expect GOTY material. For all others – it’s cautious rent/skip.

ced

This is honestly a steaming pile of crap, it reminds me a bit of DA2.

Whatever you do just don't go from playing the Souls games to this.

I've played the game for a few hours so far, I have to say I'm enjoying it a fair bit in the same vein as other eurojank rpgs like Risen and Two Worlds. Elf guy is my favorite companion so far.

Also I'm playing on easy difficulty which was a wise choice as I've already died a handful of times.

Liamc723

I have just reached the final boss, and I have no health potions, no ways of crafting any and no earlier save to go back to. Am I screwed?

Wow this game is rough as shit. Playing on 360 and it looks worse then Oblivion in some places. Combat seems pretty awful, and slow, and janky, yadda yadda. Not sure if I can bear to keep playing this but I might try again tomorrow.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I have just reached the final boss, and I have no health potions, no ways of crafting any and no earlier save to go back to. Am I screwed?

Prepare for a very long and difficult fight (took me at least 20 mins to complete on Buffalo Difficulty) You'll just have to do a lot of running around in sword stance to regain health, because if you get hit by one orb you will lose half your health even if you block. Also the boss can take you down in close combat pretty easily and I would not recommend using the dagger stance in this fight at all other than to shoot him with crossbow bolts and magic when he is shooting orbs at you so that you can dodge them

Top Bottom