• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame PS4 reveal trailer

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It looks like Dragon Age to me. I'm definitely interested. There are a lot of games similar to this coming out soon. Dragon Age, Witcher, Lords of the Fallen, Dark Souls 2, and now this...I love these types of games, so I am pretty excited.

Dark Souls is like the Witcher is like Dragon Age? Not when i played them...

SJRB

Gold Member
That was awesome, but good lord it has the worst narrator ever. I thought this was a comedy game at first until I saw the piles of rotting corpses and zombie demons and stuff.

It doesn't even remotely look like Dark Souls.

Yeah, these rip offs that don't even look like Dark souls...

Enemy design definitely seems to go in the direction that Demons Souls and Dark Souls has popularized recently.

2598318-8261970831-33657.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I also vote "not very Dark Souls." Looks more like a Witcher 2/Dragon Age 3 kind of combat system from what little was shown.

Enemy design definitely seems to go in the direction that Demons Souls and Dark Souls has popularized recently.

I think if you systematically assess the similarities and differences between those two designs you'll have to conclude they are both large monsters with some horns and that's it. I would not confidently state Dark Souls influenced that design directly. I mean, maybe it did, but the evidence is weak unless you only pay attention to the similarities while ignoring the differences.

jayu26

Da narration. But the game looks competent. It will probably have a bad story but a decent enough gameplay. I'm looking forward to reviews.

Nordicus

That trailer was so cute in such unintended ways

As in "Aww, want to catch up to CDProjektRED while only understanding the parts of its success and not the whole? Ain't that adorable"

Still, good luck to the studio.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Looks a lot more interesting than their resume initially prepared me for.

I will indeed keep tuned, Mr. Narrator.

FourMyle

I'm always down for some fun loot collection in RPGs. If this is indeed a budget release then I am interested. Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll was even more barebones than this game and I had tons and tons of fun with that game. If this turns out to be as fun as that then I'll definitely buy.

Amon-Lau

Seems familiar to Mars: War Logs, just less sci-fi and more Fantasy, and Fire instead of electricity...

Guessing more awkward romance scenes~ xD;

CDV13

The people who used Dark Souls as a comparison...I can't even begin to understand why. Large enemies & swords, must be Dark Souls.

I think this looks cool though, will check up on it later.

"... the way you interact with them might have a huge impact on your...combat strategy"

*fondles female companion*

smh

That voiceover also killed the atmosphere. It's like they were making a pitch trailer for a publisher.

Still, some of the gameplay I've seen in other recent interviews with the developer has me interested. In the "Arcade-y Souls" category however, Lords of the Fallen still has me more excited.

"BOUND BY FLAME IS AN AR PEE GEE THAT TAKES YOU TO THE WORLD OF somethingortheother."

Not the best of trailers but of course I'll follow it closely, it's my favourite genre.

I also vote "not very Dark Souls." Looks more like a Witcher 2/Dragon Age 3 kind of combat system from what little was shown.

I think if you systematically assess the similarities and differences between those two designs you'll have to conclude they are both large monsters with some horns and that's it. I would not confidently state Dark Souls influenced that design directly. I mean, maybe it did, but the evidence is weak unless you only pay attention to the similarities while ignoring the differences.

We'll have to see. If the developers boast a challenging but rewarding combat system, then I think the 'Dark Souls effect' over recent games will be undeniable.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs boast wanting to emulate the challenge of Dark Souls, as does the Witcher 3 devs, Lords of the Fallen is another upcoming game that borrows heavily from Dark Souls. What makes you think anyone making a RPG at this moment isn't somehow aware of Dark Souls in their design process? I'm not calling this game a Dark Souls clone in the least, it does look very similar to Kingdoms of Amalur to be sure, but the argument being made is that Dark Souls is a game that will have an impact on many games in the genre whether it can be immediately discerned or not.

joesmokey

Is this made in CryEngine or something else? Looks fairly generic, but it also looks like it could be quite fun. I like the armor customization.

VanWinkle

So this is like an A or AA game? That's attractive to me. I am interested in this, AS LONG AS it's not a full priced title.
If it's like 30-40 dollars, I'm in.

Nordicus

Demonic possession? Here's hoping the devs played a lot of Mask of the Betrayer
C'mon man, you know better than to expect anything even vaguely resembling a soul hunger mechanic, or even anything else that'd convincingly persuade you to take an evil option once in a while.

(I really should replay MotB, the more I let it stew in my memories, the better it becomes)

Hydrargyrus

The game looks good. But the trailer is awful, the narrator seems to be joking about the game.

I will follow the game, because it looks pretty interesting, but thanks only to the video, not the audio xD

GHG

Gold Member
Looks pretty good actually. Could be next gen's equivalent of 2 worlds. Hopefully a solid b tier RPG.

They have my attention.

FHIZ

I feel like this is a game that's going to get their release date set, only to have the Witcher 3 come out the week before.

Sanctuary

It doesn't even remotely look like Dark Souls.

Yeah, these rip offs that don't even look like Dark souls...

This trailer did not make me think of Darks Souls at all, in any way either. Oooh look, there's some skeletons...DARK SOULS! The closest comparison would be The Witcher 2.
That hud looks like shit too. Is it really that hard to make a decent hud on the consoles, or place it in a good position?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Not really digging the trend of more unique and imaginative enemies popping up in RPGs being fingered as "they're copying Dark Souls!" Dark Souls is definitely an enabling factor in why we're seeing more outlandish enemy design explorations, but... that's a fantastic trend! That's what we should have been seeing all along! Stop shouting at it like it's a negative!

You guys really that eager to roll back to the days of wading through an endless sea of boring-ass orcs, trolls, spiders, and giant rats in these types of games?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks interesting, Dragon Age meets Fable.

Shame about that voice over on the trailer, was expecting him to crack a joke any moment, made it very hard to take the game seriously.

"Tons of weapons"

Same here. I kept waiting for a punchline and more lighthearted end to the trailer.

It looks OK. It could be fun without being a powerhouse game. Sort of how I had a ton of fun with Vikings on PS3 but it was never a really big game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
We'll have to see. If the developers boast a challenging but rewarding combat system, then I think the 'Dark Souls effect' over recent games will be undeniable.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs boast wanting to emulate the challenge of Dark Souls, as does the Witcher 3 devs, Lords of the Fallen is another upcoming game that borrows heavily from Dark Souls. What makes you think anyone making a RPG at this moment isn't somehow aware of Dark Souls in their design process? I'm not calling this game a Dark Souls clone in the least, it does look very similar to Kingdoms of Amalur to be sure, but the argument being made is that Dark Souls is a game that will have an impact on many games in the genre whether it can be immediately discerned or not.

I would never argue that Dark Souls isn't influencing development philosophies and PR messaging. I was merely responding to your specific claim about the similarities you perceived between two monsters. I don't think they're especially similar is all.

Barakov

Gold Member
The gameplay portions looked interesting. The trailer seemed like a throwback to the 90's, except more subdued. The uncanny valley effect was strong with the doll woman. It looks pretty good, 'fantastical' even.

Top Bottom