• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame PS4 reveal trailer

All I could think of was Too Human meets Fable

ibgO8iWulzTCkm.gif

And that narrator didn't help. Nor the mannequin like butt-shot romance bit either ;p

Could still be decent under that heap of jank and strange though. I guess.

Sanctuary

Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs boast wanting to emulate the challenge of Dark Souls, as does the Witcher 3 devs, Lords of the Fallen is another upcoming game that borrows heavily from Dark Souls.

It looks nothing like Kingdom's of Amalur, nor does it look anything like Dark Souls. Also, where exactly did the TW3 developers claim that they were looking to emulate the challenge of Dark Souls? I distinctly remember them talking about how Dark Souls was an influence, but that they weren't looking to make a game that was as punishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDO9SjEEGew

KoA is way more saturated with vibrant colors that has a much more "cartoony" aesthetic as opposed to something seen in a Witcher game or any other game trying to look more realistic.

system11

The voiceover will not help this game. Looks interesting actually, haven't people been wondering where the AA games have gone?

It looks nothing like Kingdom's of Amalur, nor does it look anything like Dark Souls. Also, where exactly did the TW3 developers claim that they were looking to emulate the challenge of Dark Souls? I distinctly remember them talking about how Dark Souls was an influence, but that they weren't looking to make a game that was as punishing.

They actually want to make the controls more accessible, which is a big reason for the difficulty and learning curve in the first place.

ironcreed

Banned
I love Euro cheese RPGs. Especially those of the dark fantasy variant. Hell, some of the art direction and visuals in general are pretty damn tasty. It looks fun.

Sanctuary

They actually want to make the controls more accessible, which is a big reason for the difficulty and learning curve in the first place.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you're implying that the Souls games were difficult because of their controls, that's a pretty huge stretch. It took all of ten minutes to adjust to them.

Nuke Soda

That trailer put a smile on my face and for some reason I kept thinking of The Room.

"You are tearing me apart Lisa." Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDO9SjEEGew

KoA is way more saturated with vibrant colors that has a much more "cartoony" aesthetic as opposed to something seen in a Witcher game or any other game trying to look more realistic.

Here's a link where the CD Projekt cite Demon's Souls as a design influence for Witcher 2.

“We don’t auto-scale opponents, for example. If you want to compare it to anything, Demon’s Souls is definitely good. I’d like that, for sure.”

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/04/cd-projekt-the-witcher-2-takes-inspiration-from-demons-souls/

As for W3, just have to assume their design principles still draw some inspiration in what Dark Souls has accomplished in terms of risk/reward/challenge, etc.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you're implying that the Souls games were difficult because of their controls, that's a pretty huge stretch. It took all of ten minutes to adjust to them.

I'm talking about The Witcher. DS is extremely straight forward.

KaOTiK

Banned
I'll grab it. Their games are usually rough around the edges and not have anything really new to them but they are solid titles so far.

Sanctuary

Here's a link where the CD Projekt cite Demon's Souls as a design influence for Witcher 2.

You don't need to give me a link about TW2, I already know all about what they said during the development process for that game. They also said that Batman was an influence as well for TW2, and then they said the same thing in regards to TW3 and suddenly people are up in arms because they either forgot, or simply had no idea that it was already said for the previous game. For the third game, they said that they were inspired by Dark Souls (they said Demon's for the TW2), but that they were NOT looking to make a game that was as difficult.

In fact, for those who actually played TW2 on PC upon release can attest, CDProjekt wants anything but a difficult game. It started out actually moderately difficult on normal, but then they toned it down in a patch, and then when Enhanced Edition arrived, the difficulty was practically neutered compared to how it was at release.

If this game actually ripped more from Dark Souls it would be good. It's giving me that Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur vibe that I don't really like.

More PS4 games is a good thing though.

dosh

The influence is clear and present. Speeding up the combat isn't going to hide the truth.

It doesn't look like Dark Souls at all. Even if you decided to "speed up" the combats in DkS, they wouldn't look like this game. What are you talking about?

ironcreed

Banned
If this game actually ripped more from Dark Souls it would be good. It's giving me that Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur vibe that I don't really like.

More PS4 games is a good thing though.

It looks much more dark fantasy than KoA or Fable. I am actually getting a slight Dragon Age vibe.

MartyStu

It is like someone put The Witcher 1, The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age:Origins into a blender...

Maybe a little bit of Dragon Age 2 as well.

You don't need to give me a link about TW2, I already know all about what they said during the development process for that game. They also said that Batman was an influence as well for TW2, and then they said the same thing in regards to TW3 and suddenly people are up in arms because they either forgot, or simply had no idea that it was already said for the previous game. For the third game, they said that they were inspired by Dark Souls (they said Demon's for the TW2), but that they were NOT looking to make a game that was as difficult.

In fact, for those who actually played TW2 on PC upon release can attest, CDProjekt wants anything but a difficult game. It started out actually moderately difficult on normal, but then they toned it down in a patch, and then when Enhanced Edition arrived, the difficulty was practically neutered compared to how it was at release.
You really don't need to be condescending in any manner to make your argument. Furthermore, all I've said, and will continue to maintain is that Dark Souls is influencing other RPGs in the genre, whether it be in enemy design, the dark aesthetic, innovations to combat and difficulty, or the use of 'humanity' gameplay elements (which - surprise - Bound by Flame has).

Blinck

People saying that this is a Dark Souls rip-off are out of their mind.

Where the fuck does Dark Souls have a heavily populated world?

Where does Dark Souls have beautiful villages with tree houses and waterfalls and CATTLE ?

Where does Dark Souls have a high-fantasy setting?

Where does Dark Souls have companions?

Where does Dark Souls have romantic relationships?

Where does Dark Souls have a fast-paced combat style?

I'm sorry but who says that this is a Dark Souls rip-off, clearly never played Dark Souls.

Just because the game has an ugly monster for a boss now it's Dark Souls? Have you been living under a rock?

I'm sorry for this little outburst, but this is just insane.

Game looks OK btw, but the graphics are pretty poor, and the animations as well. Could be cool though.

velociraptor

People saying that this is a Dark Souls rip-off are out of their mind.

Where the fuck does Dark Souls have a heavily populated world?

Where does Dark Souls have beautiful villages with tree houses and waterfalls and CATTLE ?

Where does Dark Souls have a high-fantasy setting?

Where does Dark Souls have companions?

Where does Dark Souls have romantic relationships?

Where does Dark Souls have a fast-paced combat style?

I'm sorry but who says that this is a Dark Souls rip-off, clearly never played Dark Souls.

Just because the game has an ugly monster for a boss now it's Dark Souls? Have you been living under a rock?

I'm sorry for this little outburst, but this is just insane.

Game looks OK btw, but the graphics are pretty poor, and the animations as well. Could be cool though.
The game is probably closest to the Witcher 2 but I can see some Dark Souls in it. The combat, armor designs and enemies.

Dark Souls is quite lacking in the graphics department but they sure do win the atmosphere and creature design. Always most excited about seeing what new creative monsters and locales those twisted minds come up with next. For DS2 monster design and environment are at the top of my interests.

Sanctuary

You really don't need to be condescending in any manner to make your argument.

Sure, but then don't go posting links about a previous game as some kind of evidence, as though it has anything to do with current events when it doesn't. You were replying to my reply about how they weren't looking to make the game as challenging as a Souls game (because they aren't) as if they are.

Breemin

I don't care what it is, PS4 needs games!!

Went to GameStop yesterday and the smallest section they had was for PS4. This needs to change soon.

To me it looks like Dark Souls. And the enemy designs give me a Dark Souls vibe. If it doesn't to you, then that's fine.

Yep.

Yep.

Again, I'll just say I see similarities across the board in many games. And I like it! So yeah, I actually want more Dark Souls inspired games. I also understand that games will ultimately have their own identity, I won't repeat my argument because I've said it numerous times but I think games are at their best when they innovate on good ideas or design elements of other games.

Blinck

The game is probably closest to the Witcher 2 but I can see some Dark Souls in it. The combat, armor designs and enemies.

The combat? The narrator clearly described it as "fast paced". Dark Souls is not fast-paced.

The armor designs shown in the trailer are standard medieval armors, like the standard medieval armors in Dark Souls. You might as well say that the game has Medieval Armors in it...not "dark souls armors".

Sure, but then don't go posting links about a previous game as some kind of evidence, as though it has anything to do with current events when it doesn't. You were replying to my reply about how they weren't looking to make the game as challenging as a Souls game (because they aren't) as if they are.

Hey friend, I can do whatever I please as long as I respect other users and follow the ToS. You may have known that Witcher 2 was DS inspired in some ways, and that other games have outright acknowledged DS in their design choices, but many others may not. The Kingdom Come: Deliverance kickstarter page says:

We’re mixing the freedom and mechanics of Skyrim, the setting of Mount and Blade, the storytelling styles of The Witcher and Red Dead Redemption, and the tough combat dynamics of Dark Souls into a single, gorgeous package.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

Not everyone knows this stuff, it's worth having the discussion.

this looks like the most generic western rpg of all time; visually it looks like it steals something from every fantasy rpg out there lol. that being said, i still want to play this game.

also..dat voice over hahaha

Dinda

Looks good, been waiting for this for a while.

They should have mentioned that you can create your own character, that's a pretty important feature, especially if you show Mr. Generic in the trailer.

I have high hopes for this kind of mid tier games this generation.

Top Bottom