• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: Tyler Perry's Madea Halloween movie expected to do better than Geostorm

KSweeley

According to Variety, this weekend, Tyler Perry's Madea Halloween movie is expected to do better than Geostorm, Variety is reporting that Geostorm might be a financial disaster: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-tyler-perry-boo-geostorm-1202595298/

October 20, 2017

Tyler Perry’s horror-comedy sequel “Boo 2! A Madea Halloween” is providing the only bright spot on a downbeat weekend with about $23 million at 2,388 North American locations, early estimates showed Friday.

Four other new films are showing little traction among moviegoers. The most prominent is costly weather disaster drama “Geostorm,” which is heading for a financial disaster with an opening weekend of $13 million at 3,246 venues for Warner Bros. The studio — which had forecasted a finish in the $10 million to $12 million range — took the unusual step of not holding Thursday night previews, as it had not held screenings for critics.

Sony’s opening of firefighting drama “Only the Brave” is heading for about $6 million at 2,575 locations — a disappointing result, given its $38 million budget. Universal’s murder mystery “The Snowman” is faring even worse with about $5 million at 1,813 North American theaters, well below muted estimates in the $8 million to $12 million range. And Pure Flix’s faith-based “Same Kind of Different as Me” is underperforming with a quiet $2 million at 1,250 sites.

Lionsgate’s “Boo 2” should be down about 20% from the year-ago returns of the original “Boo! A Madea Halloween,” which won the weekend easily over “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back” with $28.5 million and finished with $73 million domestically. The sequel, set at a haunted campground, is directed by, written by, and also stars Perry in his ninth iteration as the tough-talking Madea.

“Boo 2” is a fairly low-risk project for Lionsgate, with a combined production cost and marketing spend in the $20 million range. Lionsgate is likely to dominate the box office next weekend during the pre-Halloween period with the opening of “Jigsaw,” its eighth movie in the “Saw” franchise, and the second weekend of “Boo 2.”

“Geostorm,” starring Gerard Butler and Jim Sturgess, is particularly painful this weekend due to its reported $100 million budget, co-financed by Warner Bros. and Skydance Media. The film, directed by Dean Devlin, is set in a near future where climate-controlling satellites malfunction, triggering massive storms — which may have dampened moviegoer interest in the wake of the recent massive damage from hurricanes in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico.

The hopes for “Geostorm” will now rest on the international market. The film is being released this weekend in 50 overseas markets, including Germany, Russia, Korea, Brazil, Australia, Spain, U.K., and Mexico.

“The Snowman” appears to have been done in partly by dismal reviews, resulting in an 11% score on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s based on Jo Nesbø’s best-seller about the hunt to capture an ingenious serial killer in Norway and is produced by Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner as well as Piodor Gustafsson and Robyn Slovo. Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Val Kilmer, and J.K. Simmons star in the movie, directed by Tomas Alfredson.

It’s an opposite situation for “Only the Brave,” based on the true story of the 19 Arizona firefighters who died in the 2013 Yarnell Hill Fire. Initial reviews for “Only the Brave” have been stellar, earning it a 90% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but moviegoers appear to have little interest. It’s possible that the recent massive Northern California wildfires — which left 42 dead and destroyed 5,700 structures — may have prevented moviegoers from being engaged.

ascii42

WTF is Geostorm? That may be there problem.
I just think of the car
1200px-Geo_Storm_--_-07-09-2009.jpg

I saw the trailer for Geostorm before The Foreigner and people actually laughed afterwards. I honestly thought the movie was coming out next spring, not this week lol.

Might see that Only the Brave movie of the reviews are that good. Ironically, I've never heard of it until this thread.

overcast

Wait, a Tyler perry movie which are historically successful is stomping out GEOSTORM?? That movie looked like a hit!

Strike

Well, yeah. Madea movies tend to do consistently well. Geostorm was going to bomb whenever they decided to release it. Wasn't it supposed to come out over a year ago?

What will it take for Taylor Kitsch to be in a successful movie other than Lone Survivor? Glowing reviews, a great cast and a movie-ready real-life tragedy about heroism at its center. I have no idea why I never saw the trailer for it in front of other movies or even a poster inside the theater.

Something else that pisses me off: Why is Leatherface getting such a tiny limited theatrical release? Texas Chainsaw 3D was a hit, the reviews are okay and it’s fucking Halloween. Doesn’t make sense to me either.

KSweeley

Well, yeah. Madea movies tend to do consistently well. Geostorm was going to bomb whenever they decided to release it. Wasn't it supped to come out over a year ago?

Geostorm was put into pre-production in 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostorm

Production
The pre-production began on July 7, 2014.[10] Dean Devlin would direct the science fiction action film for Warner Bros. with Gerard Butler attached to star as the lead,[11] and Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish, Ed Harris and Andy García also starring.[12] On August 19, Alexandra Maria Lara joined the film's cast to play the commander of a space station and also Butler's character's love interest who helps him save the world.[13] On September 26, Katheryn Winnick was added to the cast to play Olivia, Butler's character's ex-wife and mother of Hannah.[14] On October 8, Eugenio Derbez was added to the cast of the film.[15]

Filming
With an initial budget of $81 million,[16] principal photography began on October 20, 2014, in New Orleans, Louisiana,[17][18] and lasted through February 10, 2015.[18] Filming began on Loyola Avenue on the first day.[19] Some NASA scenes were filmed at NASA Facility in New Orleans in November 2014 and January 2015.[20][21]

After poor test screenings in December 2015, $15 million reshoots were conducted in Louisiana in early December 2016, under new producer Jerry Bruckheimer, writer Laeta Kalogridis and director Danny Cannon. Winnick's role was recast with Julia Denton during reshoots, while new characters were added into the script.[6]

Release
The film was originally set for release on March 25, 2016,[23] but in August 2014, Warner cancelled this, and released Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on that date instead.[24] On December 11, 2014, WB shifted its live-action animated film Jungle Book to 2017 and gave its previous date from March 25, 2016 then October 21, 2016 to Geostorm.[25] In September 2015, the studio again moved back the film from October 21, 2016, to January 13, 2017.[26] In June 2016, the studio announced the release had been moved back from January 13, 2017, to October 20, 2017. The film had an IMAX release.[27]

Box office
In the United States and Canada, Geostorm was released alongside Boo 2! A Madea Halloween, The Snowman and Only The Brave, and is expected to gross $10–12 million from 3,246 theaters in its opening weekend.[5]

Critical response
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 13% based on 31 reviews, with an average rating of 3.7/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Lacking impressive visuals, well-written characters, or involving drama, Geostorm aims for epic disaster-movie spectacle but ends up simply being a disaster of a movie."[28] On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 19 out of 100, based on reviews from 10 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike".[29]

norm9

From what I've seen, the Tyler perry movies without Madea showing up are next level better. Dude needs to do those more, but as far as fun holiday movies, madea scared stupid can't be any worse than scary movie.

Eta- hyped for geostorm.

Something else that pisses me off: Why is Leatherface getting such a tiny limited theatrical release? Texas Chainsaw 3D was a hit, the reviews are okay and it’s fucking Halloween. Doesn’t make sense to me either.

As a fan of the recent reboots, each subequest movie looked like it was getting less and less budget. I can only imagine how barebones leather face is. Oh, I haven't read up on it, but it might be a possibility they made it 3d so that blows a ton of money too

Acorn

Gerard butler is from my hometown so I weirdly root for him. On topic never heard of geostorm, not seen any ads on tv, billboards etc.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
and gerard butler will somehow continue to get work

He's sooooo close to being jettisoned into straight to video land. Those "...Has Fallen" movies saved him.

Could've sworn I read somewhere that the majority of this cast was some agency package deal. That and it being in production a few years ago is why/how some of these people snuck in here.

My wife and I are going to go see Boo 2 this week. We have never seen any other Tyler Perry directed movies, let alone the first Boo.

We have movie pass. It wouldn't cost us a penny to see Geostorm. We go to the cinema all the time.

You'd have to pay me to sit through it after having seen the awful trailers for months and months.

I don’t agree with the Gerard Butler hate. He does have a tendency to pick shit movies—or is it that he can only get those movies?—but he has great charisma. The guy is likable as fuck. I hope he finds success in quality movies. I remember when Ben Affleck was a joke actor.

Top Bottom