• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
harSon said:
When you fight British bar room boxers? Yes, you do.

Funny you claimed to have not seen Calzaghe before so how would you know who he's fought?

I know this may come as a surprise, but their are talented fighters outside of the US...

Well, that was much as I called it - credit to B-Hop; he ALWAYS pulls folks into his kind of fight.

However, from round 4, Joe showed his character and changed up, by round 7 Bernard was dropping the shoulder and hardly throwing any punches. His antics with the "Please ref give me a 3 minute breather" during the 9th was just ridiculous; at that point it was starting to look like his legs were shot and he took any way to try and even things up - he tried the same thing in the eleventh but even Cortez was having none of it.

Man Calzaghe looked SO much better against Kessler.... still he did win this fight, but it wasn't some huge decisive win.

I think you have to give credit there to Bernard - being negative and nullifying opponents ain't much fun to watch, but it is effective.

Harson - I kinda predicted that Joe would get dragged into Bernaords fight; but who hasn't got dragged in to Bernards fight?
A boxer like Pavlik or Taylor would destroy him.

Not a chance - take away all thye spoiling tactics and butting etc, Joe would be able to fight his fight against either Pavlik or Tarver at his own pace.

Hopkins was the only fight out there that really asked questions of Joe.

I don't think he answered them that well, but he picked himself off the canvas and turned it around which is good enough in my book!

Man Calzaghe looked SO much better against Kessler....

Who has ever looked good against Berndard? He spoils fights - always has done - the messier the fight, the better it plays into his hands.

I always said I'd rather have seen Joe fight Chad Dawson than Hopkins - even after winning Joe will still get no due, cos of Bernards age.

harSon

Banned
DarienA said:
Funny you claimed to have not seen Calzaghe before so how would you know who he's fought?

I know this may come as a surprise, but their are talented fighters outside of the US...

My mistake, British boxers outside of Lennox Lewis have been completely overrated.

Until today I hadn't seen a live (and complete) fight from Calzaghe, I have fast forwarded through a couple of his more recent fights (Lacy, Kessler, and Manfrado).

Hopkins will win.

Nope, he didn't.

Harson, you are as ingracious in defeat as Bernard was in the after interview! :lol

Peopl dislike Joe's "slappy" style? i'd rather see that all year in than what folks like Bernard bring to the table.

Joe came to fight, Bernard came to spoil, hold, but and then look like he's crying from a 'low blow' that was slightly under the belt.

Of course, Joe doesn't punch or hurt Bernard, except when it's an opportune moment to get 2 minutes rest when his legs are shot.

I wouldn't call Bernard a cheat, but he's very close to it.

harSon

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
Nope, he didn't.

Harson, you are as ingracious in defeat as Bernard was in the after interview! :lol

Peopl dislike Joe's "slappy" style? i'd rather see that all year in than what folks like Bernard bring to the table.

Joe came to fight, Bernard came to spoil, hold, but and then look like he's crying from a 'low blow' that was slightly under the belt.

Of course, Joe doesn't punch or hurt Bernard, except when it's an opportune moment to get 2 minutes rest when his legs are shot.

I'm also as uninjured as Bernard was after the match! :lol

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I was able to catch and extemely choppy stream but from what I saw it was an ugly fight. Bernard made it an ugly fight and Joe was too cautious, rightfully so after the knockdown. Hopefully Joe decides to fight the top fighters like Taylor and Pavlik. As for Nard its time to hang'em up.

Ash_69

gollumsluvslave said:
Nope, he didn't.

This is the truth.

I know Bernard always has this sort of attitude but it spoils fights and the entertainment value goes down. I wish somebody would rock this bitch. Hopefully after this loss he hangs up the gloves.

DC R1D3R

Banned
It was a good fight, my man Bernard deserved the victory. Joe took one hell of a beating, whilst Hopkins looked like he was ready to bounce to a V.I.P. Not. A. Scratch.

I don't know how the fuck that judge scored it 116 -111, that's just batshit insane.

I do think Hopkins should retire now though. FFS the guys 43.

If both boxers were 36, Joe would have needed a stretcher to get out the ring.

But I gotta rate him. He's very tough and his dad is a fuckin nutter, who doesn't know what second best means.

DarienA

gollumsluvslave said:
Who has ever looked good against Berndard? He spoils fights - always has done - the messier the fight, the better it plays into his hands.

Very true.

DC R1D3R said:
It was a good fight, my man Bernard deserved the victory. Joe took one hell of a beating, whilst Hopkins looked like he was ready to bounce to a V.I.P. Not. A. Scratch.

I don't know how the fuck that judge scored it 116 -111, that's just batshit insane.

I do think Hopkins should retire now though. FFS the guys 43.

If both boxers were 36, Joe would have needed a stretcher to get out the ring.

But I gotta rate him. He's very tough and his dad is a fuckin nutter, who doesn't know what second best means.

People who determine fights based on how both the fighters faces look after the fights just show their lack of boxing knowledge.

tombur

Calzaghe had already said there was no animosity between them, despite pre-fight exchanges. But,when Hopkins declined to pay tribute or even shake his opponent's hand, an obviously peeved Calzaghe, feeling perhaps that his night of triumph was being hijacked by a sore loser, called after him: "I whipped your ass. You got your ass kicked by the white boy."

:lol - good article here

harSon

Banned
DarienA said:
Very true.

People who determine fights based on how both the fighters faces look after the fights just show their lack of boxing knowledge.

It's a valid thought. The majority of Calzaghe's punches slaps that were counted hit Hopkins back side.

DarienA

harSon said:
It's a valid thought. The majority of Calzaghe's punches slaps that were counted hit Hopkins back side.

No its not at all you don't determine a fight based on facial features. And what did Joe have, one friggin cut cause by a punch early in the fight, give me a f'n break.

The reality is that if you seen fights you know that not everyone bruises the same. Some folks bruise from even the lightest shot, some folks don't bruise at all, and a wide range in between same with cuts.

So spare me the lame look at his face excuse.

You probably think Bernard beat Taylor twice too.... (first fight I wouldn't have been upset if the judges gave it to Benard, I think it was that close because Jermaine faded BADLY in the 2nd half of the fight. But the 2nd one was a definite Taylor win).

Still Bernard was definitely the better actor last night, and the gameplan he's used for years against opponents almost got him a win last night.

harSon

Banned
DarienA said:
No its not at all you don't determine a fight based on facial features. And what did Joe have, one friggin cut cause by a punch early in the fight, give me a f'n break.

The reality is that if you seen fights you know that not everyone bruises the same. Some folks bruise from even the lightest shot, some folks don't bruise at all, and a wide range in between same with cuts.

So spare me the lame look at his face excuse.

You probably think Bernard beat Taylor twice too.... (first fight I wouldn't have been upset if the judges gave it to Benard, I think it was that close because Jermaine faded BADLY in the 2nd half of the fight. But the 2nd one, no way it was a definite Taylor win).

My argument is Calzaghe was all flash and no substance, absolutely nothing of significance landed throughout the fight. Like I previously said, the majority of his punches through out rounds 1-12 hit Hopkins backside, Elbows, etc.. You're entitled to scoring the fight as your please, I personally think a fight should be based on more then who landed the most punches.

Edit:

I personally thought the first fight was a toss up, could have gone either way with little objection on my part. The second was definitely won by Taylor.

DarienA

harSon said:
You're entitled to scoring the fight as your please, I personally think a fight should be based on more then who landed the most punches.

Yes you apparently believe it should be based on whose face looks the worst, who is the better actor, who throws one punch and holds more, etc.

Agree to disagree.

harSon

Banned
DarienA said:
Yes you apparently believe it should be based on whose face looks the worst, who is the better actor, who throws one punch and holds more, etc.

Agree to disagree.

No, I believe the punches effectiveness should be taken into account. A punch hitting the opponents backside, elbows, belt, etc.. should not be worth as much as a clean punch to the face or body shot.

DC R1D3R

Banned
DarienA said:
Very true.

I watched the fight mate. I saw Hopkins spark Joe to the ground in the first 20 secs till the end. Joe got schooled, completely battered.

Only his dad's (Enzo) words of wisdom saved him.

Still Bernard was definitely the better actor last night, and the gameplan he's used for years against opponents almost got him a win last night.

Still Bernard was definitely the better actor last night, and the lameplan he's used for years against opponents almost got him a win last night.

fixed.

For such a legend he is an ugly, dull fighter to watch.

However the bottom line for me is even though Joe got dragged in to Hopkins fight, which I thought was the only way Hopkins would get a KO, he STILL won.

Harson
No, I believe the punches effectiveness should be taken into account. A punch hitting the opponents backside, elbows, belt, etc.. should not be worth as much as a clean punch to the face or body shot.

So Bernard's shameful play acting over the low blow was because all the slappy punches weren't effecting him and he just needed a breather because what ?

Let me guess - 43?

And anyone saying that they want to see Pavlik vs Calzaghe - be my guest - Joe would look his sparkling best against Kelly, who doesn't have anywhere near the smarts or spoling brawl tactics of Hopkins - he would play into Joe's hands and every bit as much that Bernard made Joe look dull and boring, Pavlik would make Joe look like the great P4P fighter he is.

I'd call it that Bernard was easily the hardest fight Joe has had in terms of being able to apply his own style and pace;

However, it wasn't his hardest fight in terms of being hurt - Kessler hurt Joe far more than Bernard even if he didn't put him on the floor, so did Sakio Bika. Joe looked more embarassed with the early knockdoen than actually hurt.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well we should just put this fight behind us. It was ugly and didnt care either way what the score was. Its time to look forward to the next fights.

harSon said:

Judges do rate on punch power, who's hurting the other guy more.

The thing about this fight is that the last half of the fight, Hopkins wasn't landing anything really effectively, outside of a punch here and there. That doesn't win you rounds when the other guy is far outnumbering you on punches.

d843be0a72.gif

:lol

Is it true that Slyvester Stallone flipped out when he saw this?

Robert R1

Banned
That was a horrible fight to watch and I feel bad for the people who paid money for the tickets.

Hopkins is simply not a desireable fighter to watch. Hasn't been in some time and as he's aged, he's really developed a boring style.

I'm not a Joe C fan. I think he'll get exposed but Hopkins at 43 is NOT the man for the job. Take on someone like Pavilk, Roy Jones and I'll give him his props. He didn't show anything against Hopkins last night. After he got caught in the first round he became gun shy and resorted to slapping punches just to show a high work rate and connect percentage.

DarienA

SSGMUN10000 said:
Well we should just put this fight behind us. It was ugly and didnt care either way what the score was. Its time to look forward to the next fights.

Agreed, still lots of quality stuff coming down the pipe....

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

couldn't have said it better.

Hopkins was beaten outside of 4 rounds and he knew it.

The most hilarious thing now is the continued Calzaghe dissing

"Lacy will destroy him!" ---> "Lacy was a hasbeen!"
"BH will destroy him!" ---> "BH was too old! and he shudda won! Not a scratch! etc"

Roy Jones Jr for a final match up for Calzaghe. Then retire no matter which way it goes.

cthoaa

It wasn't all bad. The in-ring from both was poor, but I thought the overall story of the fight played out okay -- an aging veteran champ who would do anything to prevent losing to someone he felt he shouldn't versus an unappreciated champion entering new territory to claim deserved recognition.

cthoaa

Wax Free Vanilla said:
d843be0a72.gif

He threw up his hands in frustration, but as he was rooting for Calzaghe, I think it was over another break in action. (He was demonstrably upset at the holding throughout the fight.)

harSon

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
d843be0a72.gif

That was a bit... yeah. Would have been funny if he wasn't rubbing his shlong against Hopkins' ass.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
harSon said:
My argument is Calzaghe was all flash and no substance, absolutely nothing of significance landed throughout the fight. Like I previously said, the majority of his punches through out rounds 1-12 hit Hopkins backside, Elbows, etc.. You're entitled to scoring the fight as your please, I personally think a fight should be based on more then who landed the most punches.

Edit:

I personally thought the first fight was a toss up, could have gone either way with little objection on my part. The second was definitely won by Taylor.

I'm with you dude.

Alot of people are gonna hate on hopkins for essentially being a COUNTER puncher. Problem is Calzaghe doesn't PUNCH. The combination of these two in the ring ended up being one ugly fucking fight with Calzaghe lookin' like a bitch with the slaps that couldn't hurt a prepubescent girl and Benard flopping like Ronaldo on every slightest touch around the belt line. Not to mention his horrendous interpretation of offensive prowess *gag*. We all lost in that fight. All of us lol. At least I had fun lookin' at the stars in the stands. Is it me or was Jeremy Piven in there somewhere?

cthoaa

332xois.jpg

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Joe Calzaghe is the new Ring Magazine light heavyweight champion after winning a split decision over Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins is voted into the top contender spot. Adrian Diaconu and Chris Henry maintain their #8 and #10 ratings after their fight this weekend. (Diaconu won a unanimous decision.) All others moved down to make way for new champion, with Reggie Johnson coming off the chart.

In the pound-for-pound chart, Calzaghe moves up two places to number three. Both Juan Manuel Marquez and Bernard Hopkins move down a spot to numbers four and five, respectively.

Ring Magazine's Light Heavyweight Ratings for period ending April 21

C. Joe Calzaghe GBR 45-0 (32)
1. Bernard Hopkins USA 48-5-1 (32)
2. Antonio Tarver USA 27-4 (19)
3. Chad Dawson USA 26-0 (17)
4. Glen Johnson JAM 47-12-2 (32)
5. Zsolt Erdei HUN 28-0 (17)
6. Roy Jones USA 52-4 (38)
7. Clinton Woods GBR 41-4-1 (24)
8. Adrian Diaconu ROM 25-0 (15)
9. Paul Briggs USA 26-3 (18)
10. Chris Henry USA 21-1 (17)

Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending April 21

1. Floyd Mayweather USA, welterweight
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
3. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middle/lt. heavyweight
4. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
5. Bernard Hopkins USA, lt. heavyweight
6. Israel Vazquez MEX, jr. featherweight
7. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight
8. Ricky Hatton GBR, jr. welterweight
9. Kelly Pavlik USA, middleweight
10. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight

cthoaa

Yesterday's Mike Tyson segment from E:60 is up on ESPN.com

E:60 - Mike Tyson Pitch Meeting
E:60 - Mike Tyson Part 1
E:60 - Mike Tyson Part 2
E:60 - Mike Tyson Round Table

I haven't seen this show before, but the "pitch" segments look like they could get annoying.

Tyson comes across as changed -- far from "the baddest man on the planet" in both appearance and behavior. He shows quite a bit of perspective here wrt his everyday. There's now structure in his life away from boxing, albeit court-mandated or money related. The part where he drones on about his accountant is funny.

Tonight's main event on Wednesday Night Fights could be good as both Joel Julio (32-1) and Ishe Smith (19-2) try to remain in contention at 154. Smith dedicates the fight to Diego Corrales, whose one-year anniversary is coming up.
I am dedicating my fight against Joel Julio tomorrow to Diego "Chico" Corrales and to my children. My three babies are all I have in this world and I want to secure their futures, so this fight is dedicated to them and what I am trying to accomplish for them. Diego gave me my first opportunity to fight on ESPN when I was the co-main event against Sal Lopez. Here it is almost five years later and I am finally getting my own main event slot on the best sports network in the world. Diego always told me their is only one way to go out, and that is on your back. Not only did I consider him a boxing friend but our families were close as well, getting together on several occasions. I miss you Chico and I promise I will not let you down, R.I.P brother and I know you will be watching from the heavens above. Champ, guns will be blazing tomorrow night and in 22 years I have never touched the canvas, but you are right, their is only one way to go out, and if I do it will be the way you put it. I would like to thank Supreme Protein Bars and Vitamin Water for making this an awesome camp. Please tune in to ESPN2 tomorrow night. Check your local listings!
At the end, it's like he's preparing to get stopped.

cthoaa

29yjb47.jpg

The DLH-Forbes weigh-in is at 3:30ET/12:30PT. Yahoo! is providing a stream.

The fight is at a catch of 150, but Oscar has been bragging that he's been at 147 for a while now.

Forbes is a difficult fighter and hungry fighter. I started preparing myself for this fight in January. I never thought that I would make 147 lbs but for a month and a half, I have been at 147 lbs so if you say that Steve Forbes is a hungry fighter, believe me, I’m hungry!

4u751z.jpg
2yn2kk4.jpg

Countdown to De La Hoya-FORBES~! (YouTube)

cd to DLHForbs 1
cd to DLHForbs 2
cd to DLHForbs 3

I thought this would be a little empty, but it's actually okay. Aside from recapping his fight with Floyd Jr., Oscar kinda takes a back seat here to Forbes and the elder Mayweathers.

The part where Jeff talks about reconciling things with his everyone for his mom's sake was very moving and familiar. I laughed at the combination sound from Floyd Sr.: "BDTBDTBDTBDTBDTBDTBDTBT!" (Hadn't heard that in awhile.) And, of course, young Stevie's hair.

Between Steve and Jeff, there's probably never been so much good karma in one corner, and I'm rooting for them the same way I did Gomez. Hopefully things turn out at least a little bit better. It hasn't really been a good time to be a "Contender" these past few weeks.

Kingpen

I thought Forbes did better then the scorecards indicated. He was facing an uphill battle every round because of Oscar's legacy..... He certainly did better then Mayorga did.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kingpen said:
I thought Forbes did better then the scorecards indicated. He was facing an uphill battle every round because of Oscar's legacy..... He certainly did better then Mayorga did.

I have a friend that watched the fight that said the same thing. He also said that Floyd is going to destroy this version of Oscar as well.

cthoaa

Judah's right arm injury forces postponement of Mosley fight
Former undisputed welterweight champion Zab Judah suffered a right arm injury this week, forcing his May 31 fight against fellow former champ Shane Mosley to be postponed on Thursday.

Judah needed 50 stitches in his right arm after slipping in his Las Vegas bathroom and smashing it through a glass shower door.

"Zab had an accident. He cut his right arm up pretty bad," Golden Boy Promotions chief operating officer David Itskowich said. "He slipped and he went to brace himself on a glass door and his arm went through it. I saw his arm. It looked pretty bad."

Judah was advised by his doctor not to train for at least four weeks.

"It is very unfortunate that Zab suffered this injury and that this great event had to be canceled," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said. "We are already in discussions with all parties involved to attempt to reschedule the fight for the near future."

EDIT: Pic of Zab's arm from BoxingTalk.

ab57d3.jpg

Jin Mosley won't renogotiate with Judah's people for a fight at a later date. "It's like dealing with a child."

DKP is reportedly offering Mayorga in Judah's stead.

cthoaa

2z4ebut.jpg

Junior Witter/Carl Froch Awaiting Fight Night (YouTube)
Steve Bunce On Witter vs Bradley & Hatton Feud

Everyone's pulling out of their fights with Carl Froch, so Junior Witter-Tim Bradley main events Saturday's ITV card from Notthingham, to be broadcast tape-delayed on Showtime (ShoBox).

Froch's gone from fighting in the feature against Denis Inkin to fighting on the undercard against Contender's Rubin Williams. Williams pulled out yesterday, so unbeaten Polish fighter Albert Rybacki stepped in. Witter benefits from having a higher profile fight as he tries to make a statement ahead of Hatton's homecoming on the 24th.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Wow those are some nasty cuts on Judah's arm. If what Jin Mosley says is true about dealing with Judah then he one stupid mofo. He keeps getting these chances to fight in these high caliber fights after already losing to Cotto and Mayweather. This is probably his last chance hopefully he straightens up.

As far as Oscar I didnt think he looked too bad. Sure he fought against someone that had no chance against him but it was a good tune-up especially after reuniting with Mayweather Sr. I maybe in the minority here but I think he has a realistic chance against Mayweather. I would him rather go after Cotto though since he is more willing to engage. That would be good fight and if he where to get past Cotto then it would set-up a fight with Mayweather. Of course thats a BIG IF against Cotto.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Timothy Bradley entered the junior welterweight chart in the #2 slot after winning a split decision against former #1 Junior Witter. Witter is voted down two places to #3; Paul Malignaggi is now the #1 contender to division champion Ricky Hatton.

Ring Magazine's Junior Welterweight Ratings for period ending May 12

C. Ricky Hatton GBR 43-1 (31)
1. Paul Malignaggi USA 24-1 (5)
2. Timothy Bradley USA 22-0 (11)
3. Junior Witter GBR 36-2-2 (21)
4. Andreas Kotelnik UKR 29-2-1 (13)
5. Gavin Rees GBR 27-1 (13)
6. Vivian Harris GUY 28-3-1 (18)
7. Souleymane M'baye FRA 36-2-1 (20)
8. Lovemore Ndou AUS 46-9-1 (31)
9. Juan Lazcano MEX 37-4-1 (27)
10. Demetrius Hopkins USA 28-0-1 (11)

Top spots in the division are at stake next weekend as four of the top jr. welterweights face off in Manchester. (Champion Hatton vs #9 Lazcano; #1 Malignaggi vs #8 Ndou)

cthoaa

DVD pirates filling their shelves -- and customer orders (ESPN)

Article on pirated boxing dvds.

As someone who might sometimes get this kinda stuff (sometimes), it's comforting that there are all these quotes from broadcasters HBO and ESPN and promoters Top Rank and Golden Boy which pretty much say they can't be bothered to crack down on sellers.

As someone who's really into VQ and production value, it sucks that the market doesn't exist (or just isn't profitable) for official, professional releases.

Top Bottom