• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

cthoaa

Hopkins vs Calzaghe Press Conference Part 1
Hopkins vs Calzaghe Press Conference Part 2
Hopkins vs Calzaghe Press Conference Part 3

EDIT:
Hopkins vs Calzaghe Press Conference Part 4
Hopkins vs Calzaghe Press Conference Part 5

Footage from today's presser. Courtesy FWTV via YouTube.

30xei4n.jpg

34fidtc.jpg

People look like they were in good spirits. For the most part.

B Hop Gets angry (Setanta@YouTube)

cthoaa

From Fightnews:

2uswq69.jpg

“Latin Fury!” weigh-in controversy
By Flattop

The card is titled “Latin Fury!” and Sam Garcia - the trainer of Jose Celaya - was full of “fury” about how Friday’s weigh-in was handled. “It was a spectacle! They walked us up to a stage and Jose Sulaiman (President of the WBC) said, ‘The stage is a bit shaky, so we are going allow 300 grams (almost 10 ounces) over the limit (154-pounds).’ I said ‘No!’ to Sulaiman but we were told to step on the scale before I could say anything more. They put the marker on the 154 pound mark and it (the beam) started to dip down and they said ‘Alright, you can get down’ but I wanted to know exactly what my fighter weighed but they made him get off. It was going too fast.”

Garcia and Celaya then moved away from the area to allow Julio César Chávez Jr. and his camp access to the scale. Garcia had intended to go back to the scale to monitor the weigh-in of Chavez but stated that he was suddenly cut-off by “a perimeter of people surrounding the scale that were pushing and shoving” which blocked his view of the scale beam. “Chavez came up to the scale while Jose was putting on his pants. He stepped on the scale with his arms in the air and in a blink of an eye he stepped off and started drinking Pediolyte.* It was blur. They would not allow me to read the scale before Chavez stepped off. It was ugly, it was bad news. I went over to (Fernando) Beltran (the promoter) and said, ‘That’s bull****!’ but he said nothing.”

Garcia stated that he knew it was “too late to complain” as the fighters poised for photos. “Chavez looked bad. I saw it in his face. It’s going to be to our advantage anyway. I am not upset. I just want the people to know about this. We are going to win and we are going to win without cheating. Just because we are in Mexico doesn’t mean that they can make their own rules. They are rules and regulations. At least you can do is make the weight!” Although upset, Garcia was confident and proudly stated: “We never threaten to pull out! The fight is on!”

*Pediolyte is oral rehydration solutions (ORS) that contains a mixture of salt, sugar, potassium and other elements that is normally used for infants to replace body fluids that are depleted from vomiting or diarrhea. Boxers drink Pediolyte to quickly replenish their electrolytes from rapid or extreme weight loss.

cthoaa

Fairly significant upset as Carlos Quintana gets a unanimous decision over Paul Williams. I thought Williams might get a gift decision, esp. since he recovered somewhat from the slow start, but the judges correctly saw the fight in Quintana's favor, 116-112X2 and 115-113. PR is pretty much running the division. (Cotto, Cintron, now Quintana.)

The Pavlik-Taylor countdown was good. Lots of retrospective on the first fight, including the "twitch in his chest" that signalled Pavlik to finish. Although Team Pavlik acknowledged that Taylor was close to getting a stoppage, it kinda seemed like they are disregarding it altogether.

JCC Jr's fight was pretty entertaining. His defense is deficient. Top Rank's announcers are fun.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Jose Celaya (1/4)
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Jose Celaya (2/4)
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Jose Celaya (3/4)
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Jose Celaya (4/4)

Countdown to Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor (1/3)
Countdown to Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor (2/3)
Countdown to Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor (3/3)

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I cant believe that garbage was on PPV. Im sure it didnt get many buys. Oh well Jr needs to step it up and the weight is killing him. He needs to move up if he can no longer hit 154.

As far as the Williams-Quintana fight.. well that was an upset. Styles make fights and this was prove of it. Quintana fought a great fight. I cant believe the way Lederman had the fight going on his score card. The man is going blind.

Man cant wait for the Pavlik-Taylor rematch but unfortunately I will not be watching it live. I have plans with my significant other but I will have it DVRed. Hopefully its as good as the first fight.

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:
I cant believe that garbage was on PPV. Im sure it didnt get many buys. Oh well Jr needs to step it up and the weight is killing him. He needs to move up if he can no longer hit 154.
It might do relatively okay. The last Fury PPV that he main evented (which admittedly had a much better undercard) got something like 70,000 buys. It doesn't really sound like a lot, even when compared to the smallest HBO PPVs, but they're good moneymakers for Top Rank/Bob Arum as there's not much need for advertising, low payroll, and little risk to JCCJr. -- another reason why they probably won't seriously increase his competition level in the near future.

SSGMUN10000 said:
I cant believe the way Lederman had the fight going on his score card. The man is going blind.
It's kinda disappointing because before, I would regularly agree with Lederman or at least understand what he's giving them. Now it's a struggle to see how he's scoring some of these rounds.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I like Steve Forbes and I'm glad he's getting a payday, but I'm pretty sure he's not a match for Oscar. Sure Steve has the same trainer as Floyd... but Steve is not Floyd.

BTW we're all set for next Sat, MSG will be there on the floor! And as a bonus on Friday I purchased tickets to the floor for the Atlantic City, April card of Cotto vs. Gomez & Cintron vs. Margarito!

Should be awesome.

Really curious about this fight tonight. We already know Jermain can hurt Pavlik, and of course the vice versa. My thing is Jermain and his trainer claim that he's correct lots of mistakes, blah blah blah... well I find it hard to believe that he's corrected his biggest mistake and that's leaving that lead hand down and letting any and everybody he fights jab the hell outta his face and swell it up like a melon.

I don't expect this fight to go the distance... but I'm not sure who to pick at this point. I'm leaning towards Pavlik because I don't think Jermain's changed, but we'll see.

DarienA

Best fight Taylor has fought in recent memory, just not enough to win. He landed the counter right at will but didn't use it enough.. taking off rounds 7,8,9 (I think endurance was a concern) doomed him.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
DarienA said:
Best fight Taylor has fought in recent memory, just not enough to win. He landed the counter right at will but didn't use it enough.. taking off rounds 7,8,9 (I think endurance was a concern) doomed him.

Finally got around to see the fight. I agree that Taylor fought a really good fight. Pavlik was just busier and kept coming forward. Also Taylor slowed down those last few rounds. It was a close fight though.

cthoaa

There was something funny with either their mic levels or my speaker setup. Kept on hearing one guy's running commentary from ringside.

Anyway, Taylor was really awesome in those early rounds and I wound up really rooting for him. After getting kayoed last time out, he comes away from this fight elevated, and Pavlik... not really sure. He's not quite the runaway freight train that he was going in. I guess he gets a 12-round fight out of the way, which is something. His defense is a little better which makes him a better fighter , but I guess I just really liked it when he was banging away with little regard.

Also, a busy weekend for Mayweather, breaking someone's ankles in basketball (not really), then breaking Big Show's nose at the WWE PPV (really):

6pclmq.jpg

Floyd Mayweather breaks Taylor Hicks ankles celebrity game (YouTube)

COMBO (DailyMotion)

He's supposed to be on Raw tonight, too. Maybe at the top of the hour. (10:00 segment)

cthoaa

Yah, it seems like the last left is the one that did it. Can't find a real pic of Big Show's nose right after, but it looks like someone snapped a pic of their tv...

2wc1tac.jpg

The various wrestling sites are saying that the planned match for WrestleMania was going to be Mayweather and Rey Mysterio vs. Big Show and a partner (maybe Shane McMahon) in a tag match, but that might not happen because of Mysterio's injured arm.

From last night's Raw, Big Show challenges Floyd "Money" Mayweather (YouTube)

cthoaa

Goings-on in the build-up to Hopkins-Calzaghe:

Calzaghe vs Hopkins: New York Press Conference (YouTube)

Bernard Hopkins aims to intimidate Joe (Times Online)

Calzaghe says he'll be the "bad guy" against Hopkins (Reuters)

Enzo honoured in America (Times Online)

Hopkins believes that Calzaghe having his father, Enzo, in his corner is added motivation. “I'm going to punish him and it is going to take his father to be merciful to him,” Hopkins said. “He's got someone in his corner who will remind him things are not going too well. Joe will know when he's lying to him, just like Félix Trinidad's dad lied to him.”
The American added it was not just Calzaghe he would be trying to get to as the Welshman is trained by his father, Enzo.

"His father is going to make the decision (to quit)," he said. "Most fighters will literally die... before they quit."

"I'm telling you that the father is the one that I get to," he said. "A father, like any father, will stop his son from getting executed."

I can't imagine it happening again vs. Calazghe and his dad, but Hopkins "calling his shot" before the Tito fight and then making Papa Trinidad wave it off was just awesome -- one of my favorite performances though I wasn't really rooting for him at the time.

Kingpen

I was going to bump this thread as well. Really hyped for a unification bout. I hope they have another one right afterward with the winner of this match. Also Valuev won his match this past weekend, so it may possibly set up a Klitschko match which would be awesome.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
DarienA said:
I am SO hyped to be live at this MSG fight.

:D Man I wish I lived even remotely close to there. I live in Houston and have seen Juan Diaz fight several years ago. I have also seen Corrales in action when I went to Vegas several years ago. Hopefully this year I can travel to see a big fight.

DarienA

What a snoozefest, don't know how it played on TV but the crowd chanted boring at the end of most wrongs... Klitschko just jabbed his way to victory... still the atmosphere was great, Tommy Hearns, Bert Sugar and Bruce Willis walked right by where we were sitting (about 10 rows back from the ring), saw Tony Siragusa down front, and had great conversations with the folks around us.

Oh and on the undercard John Diddy was GIVEN a win that he certainly didn't deserve, just tryin to not screw his future potential fight with Pavlik no doubt, as he was slapped around most of his fight.... disgusting. Even Irish Duddy fans setting around us were like, wow we love Duddy, but that was bullshit.

Still had a great time though.

Next stop Atlantic City, Gomez/Gotto in April.

From the few highlights they showed on HBO, Duddy was getting hammered badly. Max Kellerman even questioned the validity of a pavlik/Duddy match, and all Lampley could say was money talks.

cthoaa

I watched the Sky broadcast of the Duddy fight. The announcers were really protecting Duddy's image in spite of his performance, and their unofficial scoring mirrored the two judges' 98-92 score. It was pretty bad. The cheers for him were really prevalent, though, and I definitely can't complain about the in-ring action, esp. in light of what followed.

The announcers doubted that Duddy's cuts would heal in time for a Pavlik fight in June. The other (and better) Irish middleweight Andy Lee might take his place. Pavlik should be able to put either away.

cthoaa

28mft05.jpg

Pretty big weekend for Showtime Boxing headlined by Robert Guerrero-Jason Litzau on ShoBox Friday, then Vazquez-Marquez III on Saturday.

The event page on their site is full of media including a replay of the first two fights and four "All Access" segments.

15fpzxc.jpg

Part 1 - Press conference in Mexico
Part 2 - Vazquez training
Part 3 - Marquez training
Part 4 - Vazquez, Marquez commentary

These are closer to an episode of HBO's 24/7 as opposed to the usual countdown show. Not as extensive as that series, but still good to watch. (VQ is nice, too.)

cthoaa

21j2ibl.jpg

The ShoBox main event was a good little scrap. Lots of fun.

Litzau started slow and could never sustain a continued assault, but he still stayed his ground for the duration and traded when he could. He stood so tall at the start (5'10 @ 126lb) and fought hard when Guerrero was getting chippy, but by the end he looked weak in comparison. Litzau hasn't improved under McGirt. Still lots of heart, tho -- he was trying to get up off the canvas the second time just as he did in his other KO loss. Even the stuggle to make it to his feet looked the same.

It was also nice to hear someone come out to the Ghostbusters theme with all these "ghosts" in boxing. Taylor should have come out to that for his fights with Pavlik.

2e3vk88.jpg

Guerrero fought very mean with lots of holding and hitting and rough stuff on the inside. His left straights and uppercuts were so strong and his combinations were slick. His defense was inconsistent, but at points he was impossible for Litzau to hit with his footwork + head movement.

Really gracious afterwards, too. His wife is lovely and it was my first time hearing that her cancer is in remission.

2qdnyad.jpg

Oh, and now there might be a "triology" with Walker and Wilson. :lol The rubber match won't be a good as Vazquez-Marquez III tomorrow, I'm guessing...

cthoaa

28hzafp.jpg

2j67gj9.jpg

Great fight. Definitely a worthy end to this trilogy. Of their three fights, it might be the best. (I'm rather partial to the second.) The back and forth of round four coupled with the knockdown made it a lot like R3 of the first fight.

Marquez banked a bunch of rounds early, but Vazquez closed the show. His pressing and domination of the twelfth round was quality. Marquez seemed immediately upset at the knockdown ruling in the twelvth, this lasting into the post-fight interviews. After some time and rewatching, I think he'd see that w/o the ref stepping in and counting, he could have been stopped outright. A two-point round, regardless.

rd 1 (YT)
3 & 4 RD (YT)
12R (YT)

cthoaa

Before:
2zi3ckj.jpg

After:
2j0mfyg.jpg

Shaw planning to protest:
http://www.fightnews.com/salazar570.htm

In the eyes of promoter Gary Shaw, had the points not been taken away, it would be Marquez winning by split-decision.

“Of course, I am unhappy with the decision,” said Shaw, tersely to reporters. “I am filing a protest with the WBC to reverse the decision in this bout. This is no way to end the trilogy between both these fighters.”
As many times as he's said he's going to lobby for an overruling, I don't think he's ever successfully done so.

What's the thrillogical next step? (ESPN)

Article on the prospects, finances, consequences of a possible fourth fight. Per the article, Vazquez made $750,000 as champion, Marquez $425,000 as challenger.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
What another war these 2 put on. I give it to Vasquez though he kept throwing towards the end. I can't really say which one of the 3 fights is my favorite. Any true fight fan needs to watch this trilogy. Maybe there will be a 4th but they deserve a long..long rest.

Tom_Cody

Wow, amazing weekend. Guerrero-Litzau was fantastic and Vasquez-Marquez was simply historic. I wish the mainstream sports media would focus on fights like Vasquez-Marquez instead of the PPVs.

Flo_Evans

Vasquez-Marquez was indeed a hell of a fight. I want part 4!

Marquez was out-boxing him handily but when Vasquez connected I could feel it. Ouch.

cthoaa

Weigh-in for tomorrow night's/early Sunday morning's "Battle of Britain" - the cruiserweight unification bout b/w David Haye (WBA, WBC) and Enzo Maccarinelli (WBO). Not sure about Enzo, but this is Haye's first televised fight in the US (Showtime).

kcm2cw.jpg

David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli Live Weigh-In (YouTube)

The commentators kill Haye at the open.

In other news, JLC couldn't make weight for his fight vs. Timothy Bradley on the Maskaev-Peter undercard. Castillo was apparently experiencing complications while at 143 and was advised to withdraw. Weigh-ins for the rest of the undercard (incl. Diaz-Campbell) are later today. Maskaev and Peter were weighed yesterday at 243 and 250 respectively.

Really looking forward to the Haye / Maccarinelli fight tonight

Really like both fighters, so no preference - I thing Enzo will win though dunno why.

Although Haye looks in great shape - ripped! :D

Although Haye looks in great shape - ripped!

He was in great shape - 2 awesome shots in the 2nd that left Enzo seeing stars.

Maccarinelli hit Haye with a good shot in the first round but didn't capitalise.

Not the war that was promised, but early stoppages were always a possibility between two huge hitters.

Shit I was lucky. Was planning to wake up at about 0240 to watch this but decided against it for health reasons.

Would have been gutted staying up for a < 5 min fight.

Any good?

Any good?

Obviously not as good as I hoped - 2 rounders never are.

But Haye looked awesome in the 2nd round - really hungry.

I think he could really do some great stuff when he moves up to heavyweight.

I don't think anyone could blame the ref for stopping it, the hits were bloody hard, and Enzo was staggering like a drunkard.

This pic really sums it up - no donwload / streams as yet:-

box_g_haye01_580.jpg

flem1

I wish Haye would stick around at Cruiserweight a lot longer..

Oh, and Mad props to Nate Campbell for scoring a huge win against Juan Diaz..

The bout is up on Youtube.

David is one slick operater, Enzo the fraud got found out in under 6 minutes.

Haye will dominate the heavyweight division.

cthoaa

Re: Haye-Maccarinelli, the announcers intimated this almost immediately and I don't know if they replayed it (they must have considering the time remaining) but the ref really should have counted Enzo down on the first right hand.

At first, it seemed like he was moving in to pull Haye off and administer a count. He wouldn't have been able to stop the full barrage that followed, but it might have been limited to three or four shots. The other punches may not have ultimately factored in the knockout and maybe Maccarinelli was already done, but he was left pretty wide open while holding on for balance. Still, the final punch did come when Enzo's hands were clear of the ropes and about Haye's neck to initiate a clinch.

Switched to HBO almost immediately for a very peculiar show and the WORST ANNOUNCER EVER. Campbell really mugged Diaz, but there was so much nonsense before, during, and after the fight... don't even know how to begin, really. Campbell was just ridiculous, though -- almost 100 punches per round! (Total 1145 for Campbell; Diaz 891.) Not bad for a 36-y.o grandfather. :lol But more of it later...

Tom_Cody

Great work Nate Campbell. I've become a big fan from all his FnF appearances. What a fantastic victory. He really beat the hell out of Diaz.

cthoaa

Campbell informs me of a betting parlor that posted 7-1 odds on a Diaz victory. Campbell says he intends to put $50,000 on himself with the dividends to pay for two new cars for his fiance' should he win.

link
Both he and his partner/co-promoter put up. (Trekas: "I believe in this man. I'd bet my life on it. And I did bet a bunch of money [legally, in Las Vegas].")

From the article, his purse was 200K. Diaz made 800K. Quite a bit for an undercard bout on a non-PPV show, but the loss takes him out of the running of a possible fight (and multi-million dollar payday) vs. Pacquiao. Should Manny win this weekend against JMM, David Diaz will most likely be his next opponent.

I know this thread kind of devolved from the first page or so, but this is as good a thread as any to post this in.

I scanned through this thread and I'm surprised that there was no mention of the excellent HBO documentary on Joe Louis aptly titled "Joe Louis: America's Hero Betrayed".

I didn't know much about the man before tonight, but it's hard not to be moved by this documentary to the point of tears for what he did for the sport of boxing, for the hopes and pride of black America, and for his country during World War II. Without question, he is a man befitting of the title of "American Hero".

He swallowed his pride and bit his lip, even as a world champion boxer. He shouldered the weight of the hopes and dreams of black America. In his second bout against Max Schemling, he shouldered the weight of the pride of the free world. He did so in an uncommonly soft spoken, mild mannered, and professional way. It's amazing to think that one man carried such a burden of responsibility during his lifetime and did so the way that he did; this is the very definition of what it means to be hero, as imperfect as he was.

In any case, everyone should watch this documentary.

cthoaa

I had seen some mini-documentaries on Joe Louis, but shorter, less encompassing segments like on "Athlete of the century". This was really good and up-to-par with many of HBO's sports-related features, like the Legendary Nights series. Some thoughts:

-The rules he had to follow so that he may be acceptable to white America were ridiculous. My impression of him previously was that he was quiet; maybe even a little distant. I didn't know that this might have been manufactured so that he would be considered inoffensive.

-The Max Baer they show is quite different from the one depicted on Cinderella Man. That movie made me think he was a real monster. Here, he was building sand castles.

-I was really struck by the ease of the photographs that were shown. It might just be the black and white, but there's a very simple beauty to many of them.

9rukvr.jpg

rvygcz.jpg

1z4ctit.jpg

rap2pz.jpg

-Maya Angelou and, surprisingly, Bill Cosby's appearances lent a lot of gravity to the size and impact of his fights. Jerry Lewis? Not so much.

-They didn't depict Schmelling as a bad person, but at the end there was some comment about his own success outside boxing as compared to Joe's. But he and Louis became close friends after their reunion on the television show. Schmelling helped Louis out financially in his later years and was a pallbearer at his funeral.

-Shots of Louis as the greeter in Vegas and out in public just prior his death were hard to watch. I really felt the same when Ali was making so many public appearances, doing magic tricks and stuff like that as his condition worsened.

Anyway, I definitely second the recommendation as it's a good watch. From the title, I thought it'd largely focus on the low parts of his life. (Hadn't really seen the advertisements for it.) But showing what he meant to so many and all the good he had done made the bad things even worse.

Top Bottom