• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Thread

RedC

Who's in the hospital and who's attending the post fight press conference?
I'm only going by the fight. Fury was my pick going into this fight. Really close fight, and Usyk's official knockdown of Fury was the 1 point difference that edged him the win. If not for that, this would've officially been a draw.

Banjo64

cumsessed
GN2co2BWkAAiugr

RedC

Shocking call from the referee to call a count, Either allow Usyk to finish him or wave the fight off and protect Fury from any unnecessary damage... Basically your fucking job.
That was the right call for this fight of this magnitude with a fighter that has never been knocked out.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I hope for your family sake, you’re not a gambler. You seem to have a losing touch. Btw who you got winning, nuggets or wolves?
Too strange of a series. If I had to guess I'd go Wolves as they seem to have a higher gear but home court + 2 full days off might win it for the Nuggets.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Very poor sportsmanship from Tyson Fury by accusing the judges of favouring Usyk because of the war in Ukraine.

It was a close fight that could have gone either way, but the difference was Fury got cocky. He thought it'd be a walkover and was clearly in shock after the 9th round. In the rematch I think we'll see a more serious Tyson Fury and not the clown. He also needs to get his dad out of his corner.

Usyk was fantastic. Took a while for him to figure out how to take down Fury, but once he did it was game over for Tyson.

Can't wait for the rematch.

Usyk became legend today.

The First Crusier weight in the Super Heavy era to go up in weight and school the top elite Heavy weights of the era.

Fury and Joshua are equivalent to Bowe and Lennox of there respect era. (I'm not saying their better shut up fanboys.)

Only comparison is Holyfield his record against Lennox and Bowe is 1 win, 1 controversial draw and 3 losses.

Usyk is 3 wins out of 3 against fury and. joshua. An absolute lad, Head to Head he gives and historical Heavy weight a hard fight.

RedC

I don't keep up with heavyweights but did watch the highlights. So because he's never been down it's ok that the ref saved him? Explain please
This was not only a championship fight but an undisputed championship fight for all of the belts between two undefeated elite veteran champions who have never lost, let alone been knocked out. Given the context, there's a certain degree of benefit of the doubt that both fighters rightfully earned by the ref.

Now Usyk was on his way to TKO'ing Fury and likely would've achieved it had Fury been trapped up against the corner or ropes defenseless and Usyk was unloading on him. However Fury was still moving with his feet, and Usyk hit him where Fury would've gone down to the floor but was saved by the ropes.

However you can't be saved by the ropes, and the ref made the right call by offically calling it a knockdown. That knockdown made all the difference in the fight because it was the 1 point difference that determined Usyk the victor on the scorecards, instead of a draw.

The bad thing about it being called a knockdown is it took valuable time away from Usyk finishing him off and allowed valuable time for Fury to recover and the round to end, thus giving Fury even more time to recover.
You think Fury legit won then?
No, my post was in reference to the overused and oversimplified explanation of any outcomes people don't like in boxing being reduced to corruption, especially when it comes to scoring.

Usyk became legend today.

The First Crusier weight in the Super Heavy era to go up in weight and school the top elite Heavy weights of the era.

Fury and Joshua are equivalent to Bowe and Lennox of there respect era. (I'm not saying their better shut up fanboys.)

Only comparison is Holyfield his record against Lennox and Bowe is 1 win, 1 controversial draw and 3 losses.

Usyk is 3 wins out of 3 against fury and. joshua. An absolute lad, Head to Head he gives and historical Heavy weight a hard fight.
Can we please stop with this? It's one reason I'm glad Usyk won against Fury, because had Fury won, there would've been some people trying to make this ridiculous claim Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Let's let their careers play out and enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This was not only a championship fight but an undisputed championship fight for all of the belts between two undefeated elite veteran champions who have never lost, let alone been knocked out. Given the context, there's a certain degree of benefit of the doubt that both fighters rightfully earned by the ref.

Now Usyk was on his way to TKO'ing Fury and likely would've achieved it had Fury been trapped up against the corner or ropes defenseless and Usyk was unloading on him. However Fury was still moving with his feet, and Usyk hit him where Fury would've gone down to the floor but was saved by the ropes.

However you can't be saved by the ropes, and the ref made the right call by offically calling it a knockdown. That knockdown made all the difference in the fight because it was the 1 point difference that determined Usyk the victor on the scorecards, instead of a draw.

The bad thing about it being called a knockdown is it took valuable time away from Usyk finishing him off and allowed valuable time for Fury to recover and the round to end, thus giving Fury even more time to recover.

No, my post was in reference to the overused and oversimplified explanation of any outcomes people don't like in boxing being reduced to corruption, especially when it comes to scoring.

Can we please stop with this? It's one reason I'm glad Usyk won against Fury, because had Fury won, there would've been some people trying to make this ridiculous claim Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Ther is no justification for the ref saving him. None. Period.

RedC

So if the ref doesn't save him he miraculously avoids a knockout in your mind? 🤣
I already explained the specific conditions within the context of boxing rules, the fighters involved, and the magnitude of the fight on why what happened happened and I agree with the call of the ref.

Feel free to disagree.

There's obviously some level of corruption in boxing and Fury was the clear A side in this fight.

No. Usyk's is 37 his career is basically done it's just the icing on the cake at this stage.

He's undisputed at Crusier weight, Undisputed at Heavyweight beat the best 2 Heavyweights since Klitschko. Only Crusier weight in the discussion is Holyfield. He's a Hall of Famer all time great If he retires tomorrow.

I'm completely confident in everything I said in my original post.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I already explained the specific conditions within the context of boxing rules, the fighters involved, and the magnitude of the fight on why what happened happened and I agree with the call of the ref.

Feel free to disagree.
The ropes can't save you but the ref can! I don't need your permission to disagree.

Top Bottom