• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy splurges 37,000 euros playing ‘free’ game

Mitama

Wow, 37k EUR is crazy. That's more money than a year's worth of middle management salaries after tax in Belgium.

'Free to play', huh? Wouldn't have guessed...

All parties involved seemed to have dropped the ball. The boy should not have taken advantage of a credit card that was not his, the mother should have watched her bank statements more closely, the game should not have been so addicting nor should it have encouraged or allowed such easy and numerous IAPs, and the credit card company should have stepped in and stopped the spending early on.

I do agree that stricter rules and limits need to be implemented.

ramparter

Banned
I m sorry but 15 is not the same as 5. he did know what he was doing, I hope he pays for that either him or his parents. but how did the bank allowed such a high amount? probably they are wealthy.

Skele7on

Banned
Maybe do stuff with your kid instead of replacing a parent with an iPad.

PS
If your kid has an iPad why on earth are you putting credit card info on there?

Plus this has now been changed so you can make family accounts within itunes.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I think that making all FTP games not available for kids might actually be a good idea. These games only survive on business models where basically to get people hooked in the same way as gambling to try and milk money out of the user. It's ethically really dodgy to market these games at kids.
agreed. FTP is a slot machine for minors, it should be regulated.

Abelian75

Neo Member
The difference is "whales" like this literally do keep these games afloat, they are designed to be unethical trash leeching cash from desparate, sad people.

Yeah, the games are quite literally designed to make money by getting a small number of people to spend damaging amounts of money on the game. It's true that in many cases the game itself may be entertaining for the majority who don't spend unhealthy amounts of money on the game, but it's still being funded by harming a small number of people.

It's also important to remember that there's no need to make a decision between "It's unethical to make games designed to exploit people's addiction" and "It's ultimately one's own fault for getting addicted and spending the money." Both of those things can be 100% true at the same time. It's not just that these games ALLOW for addictive behavior. They RELY on it.

Vitacat

THis sounds like my mom.

She just learned how to use the computer and iPad and likes to play those slot games, well since her checking is with mine right now I keep it up to date. She spend like 3k on these stupid games. I got mad and told her how stupid it is, she didn't like that LOL.

Wow.

I always have trouble believing such people are out there... but I guess they are.

I despise F2P and IAP in general. Worst things that happened to videogames.

leadbelly

Banned
'Free to play', huh? Wouldn't have guessed...

All parties involved seemed to have dropped the ball. The boy should not have taken advantage of a credit card that was not his, the mother should have watched her bank statements more closely, the game should not have been so addicting nor should it have encouraged or allowed such easy and numerous IAPs, and the credit card company should have stepped in and stopped the spending early on.

I do agree that stricter rules and limits need to be implemented.

I'm not sure that is a legitimate criticism. :p

Making a game that is not addictive seems akin to making a game that is boring,

Abelian75

Neo Member

Making a game that's addictive is significantly different than making a game that is addictive, and once you become addicted, relies on extracting unhealthy amounts of money from you in order to fund itself.

But yes, I agree. It's cool to make a game that's hard to stop playing! It's shameful to make a game that starts milking you for money in order to keep playing once you're hooked.

Edit: Reading what you're responding to, you are likely implying the same thing as I'm saying here, so potentially disregard. :)

Booshka

Game of War dev team while reading this story.

kenny-powers-making-it-rain-o.gif

leadbelly

Banned
Making a game that's addictive is significantly different than making a game that is addictive, and once you become addicted, relies on extracting unhealthy amounts of money from you in order to fund itself.

But yes, I agree. It's cool to make a game that's hard to stop playing! It's shameful to make a game that starts milking you for money in order to keep playing once you're hooked.

Edit: Reading what you're responding to, you are likely implying the same thing as I'm saying here, so potentially disregard. :)

Yeah. I'm talking about making a game that is addictive in and of itself. It's attaching money to it that makes it bad.

m0t0k1

Maybe his mom didn't notice, because it wasn't her money/account. For whatever reason, she was buying Ebooks using her own fathers account. This whole saga effected the grandfather, I suppose?

Yep but the one speaking to the media is the mother. But if it is that much money it will probably effect the whole family on the blaming part.

Aeqvitas

I don't know about EU law, but in the US the parents could make a legal case that their son lacked capacity to form the contracts.

Also, do they not have caps on the credit line there? How do you not notice that kind of charge on your card for months?

m0t0k1

I don't know about EU law, but in the US the parents could make a legal case that their son lacked capacity to form the contracts.

Also, do they not have caps on the credit line there? How do you not notice that kind of charge on your card for months?

Well the thing is lots of old people don't like to work or have adopted checking their balance online/digital. They work with bank statements so my guess when they discovered this is when the grandfather received that bank statement for the last month.

Mr. X

These games are designed to be psychologically addictive. They are gambling without real money payouts. It is only a matter of time before these get hit like online poker was.

Kinyou

This is fucked up. There definitely needs to be some kind of limit, especially when those games like to target kids/teens

Rubius

37 000? Didnt she look at her bank account or does she have a limitless credit card? I have a somewhat big credit margin and I couldnt spend 10 000 in under a month easily.

Also, I hope that inspire some parents to put a password.

I actually played this game a few months ago.

There was a guy in my clan that spent thousands of dollars during my brief time in the game. Thousands. Each time he bought the $100 chest thingy, everyone in the clan got an item. Well, sometimes I would log into the game and see 10 to 15 items waiting for me because of his purchases. It was insane.

wat-wat-wat_o_1681599.jpg

Arcteryx

Alright. How the FUCK did the parents not notice that in their account activity? Unless they are LOADED, there is just no way they wouldn't notice 37,000 euros missing.

Buzzati

Banned
Damn, they must have a hell of a credit limit for $37,000+ to be spent within a period of the family being unaware of the bill. 15-year olds are fully aware of how just how much money that is. Moral of the story: Learn to use computers so you can buy or own shit and don't trust your shitty son ever again with anything.

Mrdrboi

Banned
Both parties are at fault. The Boy is an idiot and the "Free to Play" game is nothing more than a fly by night scam.

These "Free" games on mobile devices should be regulated more than regular Free to play games I.E Dota,LOL.

The solution is to set a max amount that can be spent on IAP per game per person.

While that may sound like a reasonable solution, that would in fact break the free-to-play business model. Why do whales buy so much? To have an advantage over everyone else. If you set a maximum amount, these whales will spend their maximum amount, and what then? They have to share the top tier with everyone else who paid the maximum, and the company is cut off from any further sources of income from the whales. It would have to be set up to constantly attract whales who pay the maximum amount in order to get their maximum funds, then push them OUT of the game so incoming whales don't feel like there's too much competition and not as much advantage value for their dollar.

Extend that to games like Candy Crush. The time will come when a player can no longer buy his way to the next level. He'll become irrevocably stuck, he'll stop playing (which at that point will be good for the company because why let him drain server resources after he's maxed out?) and then negative word of mouth spreads because the game eventually becomes impossible even after paying.

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't see a problem here.
1) Mom is using her Dad's card
2) Mom and her Dad didn't know nor checked the account for unauthorized charges
3) Kid has authorization when entering the card into the device during the TOS agreement

I hope more F2P titles do this. It will teach people valuable lessons in life: Manage your finance, teach your kid, and that F2P games suck.

TBH, I hope F2P games that give players virtual gold or random items from box will be considered as Internet Gambling.
They have the same business model right now: Trade real money for chips, random luck outcome from real money.
F2P also creates gaming/gambling addiction.
Too bad the electronic age is too young for the older generation to notice =/.

At 15, you're too old to not know what you're doing. Either he's an idiot or he just didn't care

Nah, just bad parenting and a pure idiot.
I had a saving account when I was in 4th grade, and a standard checking account when I was in high school.
I changed both when I hit 17 to remove my parents as guardian from both accounts.

meppi

How is that even possible ? the max limit of credit card in belgium is 5000 € :/

That's what I'm thinking.
Not to mention this supposedly happened over several months time. How the hell do you not notice thousands of dollars being removed from your regular bank account at the end of the first month to pay the bill?

Smells like someone is bullshitting in one way of another.

They also claim that the card was owned by the grandfather and almost never got used before.

I use my card almost on a daily basis and yet last month, when 2 strange transactions took place, my bank froze it and called me to make sure that they weren't mine, even though I order tons of stuff from all over the world which never let to any questions.
Those 2 transactions turned out to be not by me btw.

So yeah, every single part of this story sounds very fishy.

I should have gone into more detail, my bad.

I'm fine with games that are exciting enough to get you hooked through just playing the game, but the game in question here does that through the means of IAPs (or at the very least it encourages them, I've never played it). The problem with that is that it leads to people with addictive personalities (or just plain irresponsible people), like the boy, spending ridiculous amounts of money chasing that excitement. Does that make sense?

Xenon

Personally I feel these games are designed to feed off of people's addictive nature. There should be a set cap on how much a minor can spend regardless if they registered in their parents name. Accounts that have excessive purchases such as this one should be flagged by the devolpers software. They could then verify the charges with the card holder. There is no way a child can make the level of a financial decision.

The kid and his family should not be charged for this bullshit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The kid was 15. Sure he was addicted to the game and yes, this sort of in game purchasing is scummy, but he clearly knew what he was doing when he did it and any plea of ignorance now is only to try and get the charges reversed, which they will.

Must be some high rollers to not have any limits on their cards. It's also weird that the card company didn't call. If I put large amount on money on any of my cards in a short period(say 20k in a month) the company calls me.

Since the mother did authorize her son to use the credit card, I don't see it as a given that they get the money back. Whatever her story is, she willingly gave her credit card information to her son. Seems like all this is mostly for show so they can get out of their own fuck-up for free.

Yes the developer (or Apple?) should warm people when they are spending a lot of money, but I doubt such an extreme scenario was considered when designing the IAP system.

Sanjay

"To buy these books I have given him the credit card of my father"

What kind of credit limit/overdraft limit is that, fucking crazy.

Xenon

Since the mother did authorize her son to use the credit card, I don't see it as a given that they get the money back. Whatever her story is, she willingly gave her credit card information to her son. Seems like all this is mostly for show so they can get out of their own fuck-up for free.

Yes the developer (or Apple?) should warm people when they are spending a lot of money, but I doubt such an extreme scenario was considered when designing the IAP system.

Nope, no child can be responsible for that amount of money. They should get a full refund. As for the developer that's the risk of doing business . It's up to them to put in safeguards to prevent this because they are the ones allowing a transaction to take place on their site by a minor.

Kagami

Serious question, as a parent how would you prevent situations like this? As a kid there were times when my mom gave me her credit card number for online purchases, and I was always completely responsible but I could have just as easily done some shit like this.

Many cards have an option to generate temporary numbers on-demand.

iblYbZw28lvp9t.png

Kenai

F2P/P2W gaming should be regulated to minors the same way as any other gambling, because that's what it is.

Socreges

Banned
I completely understand the design philosphy behind the games but I'm fairly certain at no point do the developers sit around waiting for a child to make a mistake like this. They are trying to hook legitimate whales, people who have the money but not the time to play the game in a free way.

I just think that these shocking headlines undermine the legitimacy of their strategy.
Well if you're certain then OK.

Madness

How the hell do you not know money is being charged to your account? Let alone 37,000€

What did her bank say? I don't blame anyone but the boy and his mother. He's 15 years old, not a 6 year old kid clicking buy. He knows it takes real money, which is why he used the credit card. I believe the mother is trying to soften the story up about how he wanted ebooks, how there was zero warning at all, instant transactions, a plethora of ads etc.

Top Bottom